Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
I have a question about the WCW Hotline. Did anyone here actually phone it? If so was there a person at the other end or was it a recording or something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

savinhill posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddJFLgY8UgY
In this clip Jimmy Valiant looks like he weighs 120 lbs., how did he get so skinny?
He really looks like he's ready to drop dead.

My understanding is he started doing a ton of meth. After meeting him in person a few times, I can say it's pretty likely that he either is or has been a serious abuser.

I also noticed at his wrestling school there didn't seem to be any weight training equipment at all. Just junk and a ring. I guess drugs plus no real working out results in becoming a walking skeletal legend.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

AlbertFlasher posted:

I have a question about the WCW Hotline. Did anyone here actually phone it? If so was there a person at the other end or was it a recording or something like that?

A friend and I called it when we were kids. If I remember correctly it was just a recording of Gene basically giving you a list of things you could hear about and requesting you choose a number. At that point it would be another recording of him giving you some sort of "backstage" report that more often than not was kayfabe bullshit. Once in a while they'd have some actual story but when I called it was mostly storyline details made up to keep you on the line while they charged you per minute. Usually it'd be talking about what wrestlers were making live and tv appearances and where, though.

I also got punished for being a stupid kid and not knowing I was running up like 50 bucks on my parents phone bill, too.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 26, 2010

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Mr. Carlisle posted:

A friend and I called it when we were kids. If I remember correctly it was just a recording of Gene basically giving you a list of things you could hear about and requesting you choose a number. At that point it would be another recording of him giving you some sort of "backstage" report that more often than not was kayfabe bullshit. Once in a while they'd have some actual story but when I called it was mostly storyline details made up to keep you on the line while they charged you per minute. Usually it'd be talking about what wrestlers were making live and tv appearances and where, though.

I also got punished for being a stupid kid and not knowing I was running up like 50 bucks on my parents phone bill, too.

I remember when I was a kid I called the WWF one, which actually had a game you'd play. You were Hulk, I think, and you played it using the touchtones: 1 for punch, 2 for kick, 3 for bodyslam, 4 for legdrop, etc. You had to pick the right moves at the right time, or else they'd be countered and you lost. I think I started off with a kick or something, and that was of course wrong and game ended immediately. I think if you made it all the way to the end you were entered into a drawing for some video games or something.

And yeah, the report I heard was all kayfabe stuff that dragged on to be able to charge you $3 a minute.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I'm curious what was on the ECW hotline? New Jack saying something saucy no doubt

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Manwithastick posted:

I'm curious what was on the ECW hotline? New Jack saying something saucy no doubt

Joey Styles says stuff Bob Ryder made up.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

AlbertFlasher posted:

I never called it but there used to be write-ups of the content on the Daily Lariat and it was almost always complete bullshit. Worse than dirtsheet rumors. Just a recording of Mean Gene spewing forth with his mouth diarrhea.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

LividLiquid posted:

I never called it but there used to be write-ups of the content on the Daily Lariat and it was almost always complete bullshit. Worse than dirtsheet rumors. Just a recording of Mean Gene spewing forth with his mouth diarrhea.

The one time he told the truth was being the first to reveal that Bret punched Vince out at Survivor Series.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LividLiquid posted:

I have a vague recollection that Mean Gene took it seriously and would ask Bobby Heenan to give him some "dirt", and Bobby - who was pretty much just collecting a paycheck for his retirement - just straight up made poo poo up that Gene would then regurgitate.

As Donald Trump says, we love ya, Bobby.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
I had the backdoor number to the WCW Hotline and checked it out on a pretty regular basis for free.

Fun fact, if you called the backdoor number and entered the numbers that spelled out Freebird, you would hear a 9 minute version of Free Bird that I recorded there by holding up my phone to a stereo speaker.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
Is it just me or did Rick Rude and Jake the Snake look like twins?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Shitty_Wok posted:

That would explain Cheryl Roberts' behavior.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Hinoarashi posted:

He wasn't cut, he asked to leave to take of some family issues.

Apparently, he has a personal training business that's really profitable.

The family issues were something happened with his sister and he had to take in her kids.

The personal training business was huge, actually something that limited his success in wrestling. WWE took a while to get interested because he progressed slowly, due to his limited schedule. TNA didn't want to get 100% behind him because he wasn't progressing and refused to work house shows and indie bookings on a regular basis to get better.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Scott Steiner was in WWE while Rick was in TNA in 2002-3.

This isn't even worth noting. TNA was an indie at this point.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Shitty_Wok posted:

I thought Rick Rude was John Stossel for the longest time

FOR REFERENCE-

Must be the mustache.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
What always weirded me out about Ric Rude was how perfectly his tights fit. Most wrestlers, there is a little indent in the skin where the elastic pulls on the fat.

For Ric Rude, his tights always looked painted on.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

WeaselWeaz posted:

This isn't even worth noting. TNA was an indie at this point.

I couldn't think of any other siblings.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.

TelevisedInsanity posted:

Must be the mustache.

It must be - watching them fight at WM4, if it weren't for the tights I wouldn't be able to tell at all.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Shitty_Wok posted:

It must be - watching them fight at WM4, if it weren't for the tights I wouldn't be able to tell at all.

Really?

Am I the only guy who can actually tell Doinks and Suicide's apart?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lone Rogue posted:

Really?

Am I the only guy who can actually tell Doinks and Suicide's apart?
Depends. Just by looking? No. But Doinks and Suicides still have a different way of wrestling from each other.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

savinhill posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddJFLgY8UgY
In this clip Jimmy Valiant looks like he weighs 120 lbs., how did he get so skinny?
He really looks like he's ready to drop dead.

You should see him today. He does all of the indie shows in this area, and he looks like he's on death's door. It's sickening to see him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I had the backdoor number to the WCW Hotline and checked it out on a pretty regular basis for free.

Fun fact, if you called the backdoor number and entered the numbers that spelled out Freebird, you would hear a 9 minute version of Free Bird that I recorded there by holding up my phone to a stereo speaker.

Somebody being able to insert their own messages unknown into the WCW hotline seems oddly appropriate.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Acrolos posted:

You should see him today. He does all of the indie shows in this area, and he looks like he's on death's door. It's sickening to see him.

Well, seeing as he debuted in '64, and is almost seventy. They all can't be on the juice like Vince.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Acrolos posted:

He's also had hepatitis since the 80s. Have you ever been to his school/museum? I've thought of making the drive, it's only a few hours away but it looks lovely.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

Does anyone still use the shoulder-breaker?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

WeaselWeaz posted:

He's also had hepatitis since the 80s. Have you ever been to his school/museum? I've thought of making the drive, it's only a few hours away but it looks lovely.

It's a waste of time if you're serious but if it's a short drive, go for it. My brother and I have been a couple times. It's mostly sad, but the people are really nice. Plus the lessons are fun as hell if you don't mind getting scammed out of 20 bucks.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Shitty_Wok posted:

Last person I recall used it was Heidenreich.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Have any wrestlers worked for WWE, WCW, ECW, and TNA? ECW and WCW only count when they were separate from WWE.

Cordialatron
Jun 28, 2004

I know I'm some kind of interplanetary agent but I don't think my signals are decoding properly.

Endorph posted:

Have any wrestlers worked for WWE, WCW, ECW, and TNA? ECW and WCW only count when they were separate from WWE.

Raven and Sandman at the very least.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Cordialatron posted:

Raven and Sandman at the very least.

Had Sid worked for TNA? Because I remember him having a surprisingly cool run in ECW.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Shitty_Wok posted:

Jack Swagger does it all the time

gibsonisacripple
Feb 24, 2001

CHAMPIONS

Endorph posted:

Mick Foley is a definite.

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.

Endorph posted:

Sabu for sure.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Pretty much every recognizable ECW star other than Paul Heyman has worked for all four.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
RVD has, too.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Who was the last true heel commentator?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

savinhill posted:

Who was the last true heel commentator?

Don West or Matt Striker.

gibsonisacripple
Feb 24, 2001

CHAMPIONS

Matlock posted:

Pretty much every recognizable ECW star other than Paul Heyman has worked for all four.

Dudleys haven't, Dreamer, Taz, Corino, Rhino, New Jack, Mike Awesome.

Another who has is Jerry Lynn.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Mike Awesome did.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Endorph posted:

I think Rob Van Dam was in WCW as Robbie V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DioGallant
Mar 27, 2010

Endorph posted:

Chris Candido did.