Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
So I'm getting my baby aligned at the moment (with a discount since a guy from the Subaru club is doing it). The fun part is that he works at a Toyota dealership, so I got to sit in the "drive through" service bay behind a series of identical gray Corolla sedans while everyone stares at my rumbling gold-wheels ridiculous-hood-scoop station wagon. Hopefully their lot boy knows how to deal with a heavy clutch.

jamal posted:

We put a downpipe intake and tuned an fxt the other day and picked up something like 60whp.
Turbos make ridiculous amounts of power really easily; I'm a little spoiled for NAs now that I know I can just upload software to my car and pick up forty horsepower without even having to pop the hood.

I'd assume the 09+ is a little closer to the limit of tuning, but then again it still gets all crazy past 5k on the dyno chart, probably for emissions.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Regnevelc posted:

Well, I found a good deal on an 09 Subaru, but it is a good 500 miles from me :(. I have no problem buying a car that way, but I'd like to inspect and test-drive it first. Kind of hard to do that.

E: Read reviews about the dealership.. maybe I know why it's such a good deal. Looks to be a sleazy organization :(.
Have it sent to a local independent shop for inspection.
Then, if it passes, drive down and test drive it.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Mid-way through Day 1 of Lemons New England my teammate learned why it is important to keep an eye on your temperature gauge. RIP EJ25!

Click here for the full 640x383 image.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

nm posted:

Have it sent to a local independent shop for inspection.
Then, if it passes, drive down and test drive it.

I may do that. I am talking with the sales guy via email at the moment, so once I get to that point I am going to suggest it.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

j3rkstore posted:

Mid-way through Day 1 of Lemons New England my teammate learned why it is important to keep an eye on your temperature gauge. RIP EJ25!

Click here for the full 640x383 image.

:911: It's revving with the angels now.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Regnevelc posted:

I may do that. I am talking with the sales guy via email at the moment, so once I get to that point I am going to suggest it.
And remember doesn't just let them do the PPO.
The dealer I bought my LGT from (In SLC, UT) was more than happy to drive it to a nearby subaru independent.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

nm posted:

And remember doesn't just let them do the PPO.

PPO?

E: Also, would it be a bad idea to buy an 09 with 30Kish Miles on it? Given that I only drive 8-10K miles a year?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Regnevelc posted:

PPO?

E: Also, would it be a bad idea to buy an 09 with 30Kish Miles on it? Given that I only drive 8-10K miles a year?

I wouldn't see any reason not to. So long as the basic maintenance stuff was done.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Amandyke posted:

I wouldn't see any reason not to. So long as the basic maintenance stuff was done.

Yeah, my only concern is that he threw a rod bearing about 7,000 miles ago, but Subaru completely covered the engine fix.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Regnevelc posted:

PPO?

pre-purchase inspection
that should say PPI

And no

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
If I may ask, any particular reason why?

The rod bearing or just high-miles in general? I researched that a bit and it seems a few 09 WRX's had that issue. He is one of my best friend's cousin who drove the car to cycling races over the mid-west.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
Kind of an aside, but I'm about to road-trip ~2000 miles from San Diego to Chicago for school. Going to be driving my 09 WRX with 20k miles on it with all my stuff in the back. So far no problems with the car, all oil/fluids changed regularly, and the last oil change being 1k miles ago. Should I do any pre-flight inspection of fluids, or anything else?

I've heard the oil change before/after road trip is a good idea? Aside from that...?

Thanks!

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

It's always smart to do a pre-trip inspection if you are going to be going that distance, regardless of the vehicle. Make sure your spare is pumped to the correct pressure and so forth.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

nm posted:

pre-purchase inspection
that should say PPI

And no

Well, I've started the negotiation with the dealership for an 09 WRX with less than 5,000 miles on it. They only offered me $3k-$4k for my trade in, so I may just sell that to a friend who needs a car for that amount.

KBB has the value around $6K for private party sale, but gently caress it, a friend in need is a friend in need.

Wish me luck!

E: Awesome, there are about 4 Subaru dealerships within an hour of the place where I am purchasing the car. Shouldn't be too difficult to get it looked at by a certified Subaru mechanic.

Regnevelc fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 26, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Regnevelc posted:

E: Awesome, there are about 4 Subaru dealerships within an hour of the place where I am purchasing the car. Shouldn't be too difficult to get it looked at by a certified Subaru mechanic.
Get a compression/leakdown test done too, my inspection didn't contain one and I should have asked for one since it's a huge risk to take with a turbo engine.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Get a compression/leakdown test done too, my inspection didn't contain one and I should have asked for one since it's a huge risk to take with a turbo engine.

Thanks for the heads up on that.

E: Got him down to 20,990. Time to get that inspection done (once the wife OK's all of this, she wanted to wait a month, but with this deal....).

Regnevelc fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 26, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That's a really good deal.

On a more general Subaru topic: my Turn In Concepts "Holy Shift" kit came. From what I understand, it's the Kartboy 5MT front stay bushing, rear stay bushing, the Turn in Concepts linkage bushings and the wide pivot bushings. Be nice if they would include a manual with it, but I can cobble it together from the instruction sets for the respective gubbins.

I just realized that I probably have to buy more than two jackstands in order to get under this thing now. Alternatively, I could always get the local rally builder to pop them in, but that would probably cost more in labour than the bushings did in the first place.

I also didn't get the recommended transmission crossmember bushings, but it looks like that's an entirely separate ordeal and it's not just "while you're in there."

Also: does it make sense to buy the rear diff bushings? I get a clunk from back there when I change gears poorly, but I'm thinking putting stiffer bushings on will just transfer any potential damage from a lovely shift to something much more expensive than the clunking noise.

edit: Fastest WRX - a wagon! http://autospeed.com/cms/A_111629/article.html 40psi plus twin nitrous injections is kind of scary.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 27, 2010

Local Yokel
Mar 16, 2005

If the moonshine don't kill me, I'll live 'till I die.
I've got a '06 Legacy Outback with the CD changer and climate control.

About six months ago I took it all apart to install a Jazzy engineering mp3 input board, and it worked like a dream.

Last week I was driving on a particularly hot day, and the cd changer froze up/jammed. It won't play cds, eject cds, switch cds, etc.

So today, I took it all apart again, and took the cd changer out, and that thing is put together like a watch. I know that if I open up the changer itself, I'll never get it back together, so I put everything back into the car.

I've googled around and seen that people have solved the problem by disconnecting the battery, by holding eject for a long time, or giving the right side a good whack while pressing eject. I've tried all of these, as well as taking things apart.

I'm out of ideas, and would really like to replace the stereo with an aftermarket one, but I only see fit kits for cars with the manual temp control, rather than the digital climate control.

Anyone else run into this, or find a workaround? Also, where can/should I look for a dash adapter for this specific set-up?

Right now the only option I have is to buy the one similar unit listed on ebay for $220.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

N183CS posted:

Well the loving dealership never called me back then sold the car, but it was a blessing. I found another 03 one owner blue Forester only this one has 40k fewer miles and all receipts for everything and it is cheaper. I've committed to buying it though it may take some time to actually get it. That said, it has 79k on the stock EJ25. Will I be satisfied with the 165hp or whatever it is or are there some easy non invasive mods that will make it a more fun car? There doesn't seem to be much love for the Foresters around here. Did I make a mistake? :ohdear:

I don't think the 165hp is bad at all, but it really depends on what your expectations are and previous cars are, I think. The 99 Forester auto I had I didn't like the transmission portion of it much, but the transmission gets better as the years go by. I can't recall what driving an '03 auto is like though. I do love the forester, mostly the first-generation, but the one I had is now with a family friend crossing the U.S. :)

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Regnevelc posted:

It's always smart to do a pre-trip inspection if you are going to be going that distance, regardless of the vehicle. Make sure your spare is pumped to the correct pressure and so forth.

I think I'm going to follow this list: http://www.planning-fun-road-trips.com/road-trip-planning-car.html

and just check all my fluids, etc. Cross my fingers and hope to get there alive. Thanks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Goddamn car, just stay fixed for 9 months will you?

Noticed a burning smell driving home today. Peer around under the hood and it looks like milkshake splashed on my uppipe and brake ducting.

Crawl under the car, yup, there's a hole about the size of my thumb in the inner CV boot.

So, drive it till the axle is trash and just replace the whole thing? From what I read it's more of a hassle to replace the boot than the whole axle.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 27, 2010

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

bull3964 posted:

So, drive it till the axle is trash and just replace the whole thing? From what I read it's more of a hassle to replace the boot than the whole axle.

Its a hassle either way but what you're going to find is that anything other than an OEM or high quality reman axle from a place like Raxles is low quality trash. Like it fails 2 weeks after you put it in trash. If you have a chance to save an OEM axle with a boot and some grease I'd go for that any day.

If you're feeling tricky and want to save yourself taking apart the axle you could try something like the CV boot stretchers they're using here:
http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27658

Also CV grease is like the stickiest, oiliest goop in the universe. Wear gloves, bring lots of paper towels. Put cardboard down.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The timing is annoying. I'm leaving for vacation on Friday (fortunately I'm not driving). I'm just trying to figure out if I should try to get it fixed immediately before I go (which is going to be drat near impossible) or if a few days of 40 mile round trip to work would be enough to trash it.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
You'd probably be fine with a few days. Just tape it up with some trusty old duct tape before you do it.

Alternate plan, one of these fuckers:
http://www.norrecind.com/Fast-Boot.html

You can find them at most auto stores. I warn you that these are the worst pain in the rear end ever created. After you've burned yourself with solvent weld and put the loving thing together you'll find that its too tight and you have to massage it into place with multiple screwdrivers and at least two people. Then the clamp will break on the first test drive. After that its all good. The one on my Maxima has been going strong for almost a year now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I thought about putting some tape over the slit before I crawled out from under the car, but it didn't seem like I would be able to get it clean enough to get it to stick. Oh well, I'm not crawling back under the car at 1am now regardless.

Why the hell couldn't it wait like another two months to pull crap like this so I'd have another car and could leave it sit until I had a chance to have something done with it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

8ender posted:

Its a hassle either way but what you're going to find is that anything other than an OEM or high quality reman axle from a place like Raxles is low quality trash. Like it fails 2 weeks after you put it in trash. If you have a chance to save an OEM axle with a boot and some grease I'd go for that any day.

If you're feeling tricky and want to save yourself taking apart the axle you could try something like the CV boot stretchers they're using here:
http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27658

Also CV grease is like the stickiest, oiliest goop in the universe. Wear gloves, bring lots of paper towels. Put cardboard down.

Both my front axles were $80 new at napa. No complaints here.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
The actuator for my driver side door lock finally arrived, so I started installing it today. What do I see inside, but that this car used to have one already installed! There are screw holes where it goes, and the familiar blue/green wires of a door/lock actuator zip-tied into place.
So some previous owner installed keyless entry on my Impreza, then removed it! Why would anyone go to the trouble of uninstalling a door lock actuator? It's only worth like :10bux: to begin with, and it's a HUGE pain to reinstall.
They even cut out the portion of the wire that was fished through the door jamb :doh:

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

Local Yokel posted:

I'm out of ideas, and would really like to replace the stereo with an aftermarket one, but I only see fit kits for cars with the manual temp control, rather than the digital climate control.

Anyone else run into this, or find a workaround? Also, where can/should I look for a dash adapter for this specific set-up?

Right now the only option I have is to buy the one similar unit listed on ebay for $220.

With automatic climate control - you've really got two options. Either replace it with another of the same unit, or buy the Japanese dash kit from AVO JDM (which is about $300), and then swap in a double DIN unit.

I have one of the Japanese kits, so I have a spare of the regular Legacy GT Head unit - it's the 6 disc changer with automatic climate controls integrated. If you're interested in it, I'll sell it to you for $60 + shipping. (I'm in Canada).

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's a really good deal.

Yeah, the wife isn't going to OK it due to the fact she wants to start her job before we get a car... but I made a huge spreadsheet showing we'd be OK and have over 60K with the plan to move to NYC in 4 years. I am going to try to use that to get this guy lower his price.

:(

E: Guess it doesn't matter anymore as the WRX sold last night.

Regnevelc fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 27, 2010

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
There will always be another WRX out there for you to buy.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Amandyke posted:

There will always be another WRX out there for you to buy.

Yeah, I'm not worried. Hell, if this stretches long enough the 08 STi's may drop enough in price or an 2010 WRX may pop up.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Regnevelc posted:

Yeah, I'm not worried. Hell, if this stretches long enough the 08 STi's may drop enough in price or an 2010 WRX may pop up.

Hope springs eternal. And don't forget, women love it when you surprise them with things you want!

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

bull3964 posted:

Why the hell couldn't it wait like another two months to pull crap like this so I'd have another car and could leave it sit until I had a chance to have something done with it.

That would be the other axle.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
So anyone know where to find a JDM STI GDB Front Grill that'll fit a domestic 02' WRX since my old grill just flew off on the freeway yesterday after the crossmember that the hood attaches to started to tear in half like paper.

Local Yokel
Mar 16, 2005

If the moonshine don't kill me, I'll live 'till I die.

TeamIce posted:

With automatic climate control - you've really got two options. Either replace it with another of the same unit, or buy the Japanese dash kit from AVO JDM (which is about $300), and then swap in a double DIN unit.

I have one of the Japanese kits, so I have a spare of the regular Legacy GT Head unit - it's the 6 disc changer with automatic climate controls integrated. If you're interested in it, I'll sell it to you for $60 + shipping. (I'm in Canada).

I will take you up on this. Mind if I PM you in about two weeks? I'll be going out of town, so I'd rather not have it sitting on my porch while I'm away.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
04 WRX, 52k mi, CEL light on, throwing 2 codes:
P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor "A"; circuit signal fault
p0139 Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 sensor 2; circuit slow response

Any ideas?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Veins McGee posted:

04 WRX, 52k mi, CEL light on, throwing 2 codes:
P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor "A"; circuit signal fault
p0139 Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 sensor 2; circuit slow response

Any ideas?

Check the wires that go to both sensors, make sure they're looking OK. You might need to replace both sensors. Anything happen that might cause these to go off?

vains
May 26, 2004

Not that I remember. How difficult is it to replace both sensors if that's what it comes to?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
Doesn't look terribly difficult. Here's the relevant PDF for the crankshaft sensor: http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/04impreza/imp04_sec1_1-1.pdf

And here's the one for the rear O2 sensor: http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/04impreza/imp04_sec1_1-2.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

Amandyke posted:

Doesn't look terribly difficult. Here's the relevant PDF for the crankshaft sensor: http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/04impreza/imp04_sec1_1-1.pdf

And here's the one for the rear O2 sensor: http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/04impreza/imp04_sec1_1-2.pdf
Thanks.

Well, the light just went out so should I bother replacing the sensors or wait and see?