Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
I just bought a Diana F+ with 35mm back and bought three rolls of 800 35mm film and three rolls of 200 120 film.

Now, I'm wondering at how much light these films actually need. I brought my first 35mm roll to the photo lab to see how it went but it'll take another week for me to get it back. I assume that 800 ISO is capable of getting enough light in a normal snapshot during the day with the lowest aperture setting. But what if I use the pinhole function for several minutes while shooting the flash 10+ times(at night in my room)? Would that cause the film to be overexposed? The manual says to do it like that but then I realized that's for 120 film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
If you don't want to invest in a light meter, and I wouldn't for a Diana, you should play around with a chart like this to get an idea of what ranges you should be looking at.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

NeilPerry posted:

I just bought a Diana F+ with 35mm back and bought three rolls of 800 35mm film and three rolls of 200 120 film.

Now, I'm wondering at how much light these films actually need. I brought my first 35mm roll to the photo lab to see how it went but it'll take another week for me to get it back. I assume that 800 ISO is capable of getting enough light in a normal snapshot during the day with the lowest aperture setting. But what if I use the pinhole function for several minutes while shooting the flash 10+ times(at night in my room)? Would that cause the film to be overexposed? The manual says to do it like that but then I realized that's for 120 film.

I was surprised how fast the Diana would over expose on pinhole 'mode'. Shooting inside in a badly lit room only required ~3 minutes of exposure. In any case you can use this to figure it out. If you have an iPhone it's a godsend for lo-fi photography because you can use it to calculate exposures etc.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Do we HAVE fans, or do we USE fans?

I have an exhaust fan but I never turn it on because it sounds like a chainsaw.
Just wondering, really.

When I let film dry, I try to use a different bathroom because of the amount of dust stirred up by opening and closing the door.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
In the 35mm roll of Ilford Delta 400 I just developed, the whole film is like this

An image

A frame

Some frames are totally unaffected but in general, it's almost fine at the beginning of the film and totally unacceptable towards the end - this is from the middle.

I am hoping this is to do with the film leader retriever I used rather than that my camera is leaking?

Zegnar fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 24, 2010

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

Zegnar posted:

In the 35mm roll of Ilford Delta 400 I just developed, the whole film is like this

An image

A frame

Some frames are totally unaffected but in general, it's almost fine at the beginning of the film and totally unacceptable towards the end - this is from the middle.

I am hoping this is to do with the film leader retriever I used rather than that my camera is leaking?

I dont think it is the leader retreiver.

Looks like light leaks to me, possible uneven development, maybe the roll stuck together a little in the tank?

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

fronkpies posted:

I dont think it is the leader retreiver.

Looks like light leaks to me, possible uneven development, maybe the roll stuck together a little in the tank?

I've looked through all the photos and the line is at the same point in every frame... looks like a camera light leak or sticky shutter :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you feel like experimenting and have some film to burn you could try finding a scene that will be roughly properly exposed at 1s, setting your camera to BULB mode with the lens cap on, firing the shutter, uncovering the lens, covering the lens after a second, then letting the shutter close in darkness. That would at least tell you if its the shutter or not.

Obviously you'll get camera shake when putting the cap on, but you're not really worried about image quality, just light leaks.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

Martytoof posted:

If you feel like experimenting and have some film to burn you could try finding a scene that will be roughly properly exposed at 1s, setting your camera to BULB mode with the lens cap on, firing the shutter, uncovering the lens, covering the lens after a second, then letting the shutter close in darkness. That would at least tell you if its the shutter or not.

Obviously you'll get camera shake when putting the cap on, but you're not really worried about image quality, just light leaks.

I am tempted to rule out a shutter failure since the fogging goes over the sprocket holes... and yet the fogging is at the same place in every frame in which it appears...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah, huh -- weird. Good point though. Only other thing would be a light leak at the loading seals, but then wouldn't the film be exposed to pure white if the light is just leaking in all the time?

A mystery! :ohdear:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
*sigh*

Just had Babby's first film jam on my Nikon F5. I must have loaded it wrong. Anyway, I'm gonna get the film developed and see what turns out (if anything). :smith:

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Oh yeah, huh -- weird. Good point though. Only other thing would be a light leak at the loading seals, but then wouldn't the film be exposed to pure white if the light is just leaking in all the time?

A mystery! :ohdear:

The lines also have no relation to the shutter speed used of the length of time between the shots... and yet they are at the same sprocket hole on every frame.

at £20 a camera body I've just ordered a new one :(

Maverique
Apr 25, 2010
Why would a black & white photograph start getting a purple-ish hue? I think I didn't leave the paper at the fixer long enough, the final photographs I made are becoming purple and red in certain spots. I'm doing this for a school class and my teacher thinks I took the god drat photos to a professional photographer.

Somehow I don't think a pro would gently caress up like I did.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

Maverique posted:

Why would a black & white photograph start getting a purple-ish hue? I think I didn't leave the paper at the fixer long enough, the final photographs I made are becoming purple and red in certain spots. I'm doing this for a school class and my teacher thinks I took the god drat photos to a professional photographer.

Somehow I don't think a pro would gently caress up like I did.

I recall someone in my class making their photo purple somehow, I'm pretty sure it had to do with fixer and not enough time in it.

The Affair
Jun 26, 2005

I hate snakes, Jock. I hate 'em!

So I'm thinking about buying a roll of Kodachrome and shooting it before Dwayne's stops processing them. I feel like I'll miss out if I don't.

Anything I ought to know beforehand? Is there a better place than eBay to find it? I've done some Googling but haven't turned up anything good.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

The Affair posted:

So I'm thinking about buying a roll of Kodachrome and shooting it before Dwayne's stops processing them. I feel like I'll miss out if I don't.

Anything I ought to know beforehand? Is there a better place than eBay to find it? I've done some Googling but haven't turned up anything good.

Bear in mind you're paying about $25 for the pleasure once you factor in the roll of film, Dwayne's processing cost (not including any scans), and shipping both ways. It's a slide film, so don't overexpose.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

The Affair posted:

I think it was mentioned earlier, but have all kinds of calendar entries alarms and reminding you that you've got less than 5 months in which to get it processed at Dwayne's.

tonelok fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 26, 2010

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Stregone posted:

I recall someone in my class making their photo purple somehow, I'm pretty sure it had to do with fixer and not enough time in it.

Not enough fix could do that. Also, contaminated developer could cause it as well. Like if stop or fix gets splashed in your developing tray.

That's one of the problems with communal darkrooms, especially when there are a bunch of beginning printers all in close quarters... keep your developer tray covered.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

McMadCow posted:

That's one of the problems with communal darkrooms, especially when there are a bunch of beginning printers all in close quarters... keep your developer tray covered.

Somewhat related tip: develop your prints face-down. You should be timing your development anyway to ensure consistency, and it gives you at least a little bit of protection when some idiot flips open their cell phone.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

How can someone flip open a cell in a communal darkroom and not catch a tank to the back of the head?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Students. Monitoring the darkroom at my university gave me an aversion to using chemistry that someone else has even looked at, much less opened and used, much less working next to them in the dark ("i thought it was only sensitive to sunlight").

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Reichstag posted:

Students. Monitoring the darkroom at my university gave me an aversion to using chemistry that someone else has even looked at, much less opened and used, much less working next to them in the dark ("i thought it was only sensitive to sunlight").

My head just exploded. How can anyone be this dense?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
To be fair I think they meant it to just mean very bright light (I hope). There were lots of people who were fine, but for every one who knew what they were doing, there was another pouring fixer down the drain.

In other news, I bought 3 rolls of kodachrome, and can't wait to shoot them.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Also going to jump on shooting 2 rolls of Kodachrome before it dies, what sort of prices are people paying for a roll?

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel
I just bought 2 rolls of 36 exp that expired in march for $12.50 a roll. I plan to shoot it in Yosemite.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

So the lab scratched all of my negs, and the result looks like this:

I'm definitely going back to complain, but it's not like they can make the negatives scratchless again, and I can't go back and reshoot what was on them. I suck badly at post-processing, so if anyone can offer any help, it is greatly appreciated. I'm so loving angry right now, and I even took the films to a well respected local lab instead of the one-hour next door.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Rixatrix posted:

I'm definitely going back to complain, but it's not like they can make the negatives scratchless again, and I can't go back and reshoot what was on them. I suck badly at post-processing, so if anyone can offer any help, it is greatly appreciated. I'm so loving angry right now, and I even took the films to a well respected local lab instead of the one-hour next door.

I'll give this a quick blast.

loving annoying though, a high end lab should not be scratching your stuff.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

Rixatrix posted:

This could be an easy job for content aware spot brush - the scratches are so thin.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Thanks to both of you! I'll see if I can find the content aware spot brush in my newly-downloaded trial version CS5, so I can get to fixing my favourite pictures at least.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Rixatrix posted:

Thanks to both of you! I'll see if I can find the content aware spot brush in my newly-downloaded trial version CS5, so I can get to fixing my favourite pictures at least.

Great photograph by the way.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Thanks! I was considering making it my first PAD photo :ohdear:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Also going to jump on shooting 2 rolls of Kodachrome before it dies, what sort of prices are people paying for a roll?
$18 a roll for stuff that doesn't expire until August, it was about $12 for expired and allegedly cold stored stuff.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

$18 a roll for stuff that doesn't expire until August, it was about $12 for expired and allegedly cold stored stuff.

I shot some K25 that had expired in 1992, let it rattle around in my backpack for a few months in Southeast Asia, sit on my shelf for a year, and it came out okay if a little bit faded.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Rixatrix posted:

Thanks! I was considering making it my first PAD photo :ohdear:

If you post your email I'll send the high res.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

High res recieved! Thanks so much!

Rixatrix fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 26, 2010

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I love film so much that I make infographics about it

Click here for the full 1275x1650 image.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Just got two rolls of Kodachrome back from their round trip from Scotland -> Switzerland -> US and back again. Only charged 7.50 GBP for processing and shipping back to me. :woop:

I can't believe how good the slides look held up to the sunlight, tempted to skive off for the day and go and scan them right away.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Spedman posted:

Just got two rolls of Kodachrome back from their round trip from Scotland -> Switzerland -> US and back again. Only charged 7.50 GBP for processing and shipping back to me. :woop:

I can't believe how good the slides look held up to the sunlight, tempted to skive off for the day and go and scan them right away.

Where did you buy yours from?

I'm confused, some of the rolls appear to be process paid, is that including sending it away?

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I'm confused, some of the rolls appear to be process paid, is that including sending it away?

Back in the old days, it used to be that rolls bought in the US did not have processing paid, because of a US ruling that locking film sales with processing was anticompetitive, whereas rolls bought in the rest of the world were process-paid. I imagine that's falling apart now, though. And I wonder if I'll have to pay processing for my Swedish-bought roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I bought mine through an amazon reseller just by looking through google shopping a few months ago.

The films were from the US so they had no pre-paid condition on them, so I just sent some Euros to Switzerland with the film and Kodak sorted out the rest.