Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
There's always the cheaper roof-rack option:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!
Final setup... attached the Camelbak

The Camelbak is attached in two spots by bungie cord that came on some Maxpedition bags. I also looped the drag handle over a RolyPoly for additional support.

Also got my Smittybilt tailgate setup in the mail the other day. Now it carries first aid supplies (left) and recovery gear (right). It fits perfectly under the Tuffy deck and is secure...

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
Gat the flat fenders installed with rear tube flares.

MCE Flat Fenders are made from ABS. 4" LED turn signals next. Rear are XRC 3" Tube Fenders.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Cross posting from the horrible mechanical failures thread, my 89 Cherokee's Dana 35 gave up the ghost at 397,000KM. Still had oil in it, so I'm not sure why it failed. Just too much I spose.

I was just leaving town and doing about 100 KPH when I heard a loud KABANG! and thump thump thump. poo poo. Got it home the next day and found a surprise in my diff housing.

Pinion gear is basically gone; shredded. The housing is damaged and the ring gear has a few broken teeth. Fun times!

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Time for a Dana44!

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

trouser chili posted:

Time for a Dana44!

Failing that an 8.25 would be better, but yeah either should be found in the same gearing and be much much much much much better than the 35.

much.

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008
So is the 2 door Cherokee XJ more rare than the 4 door version? I'm looking for one and there's like none for sale. Maybe it's the area I'm in.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

DethMarine21 posted:

So is the 2 door Cherokee XJ more rare than the 4 door version? I'm looking for one and there's like none for sale. Maybe it's the area I'm in.

It is by a lot. I believe the rarest of XJ's are post-98 manual 2-doors, which is basically what I've been looking for 2 years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Steiler Drep posted:

It is by a lot. I believe the rarest of XJ's are post-98 manual 2-doors, which is basically what I've been looking for 2 years.

I looked for 2 years for a post 99 5 speed at a reasonable price and came up dry. At the time (6 years ago) everyone was attaching a premium to them based on the mantran. I gave up and went with an auto.

323LX
Feb 17, 2004
"Thank you for taking a ride on the Infinite Sadness Express..."
Saturday I went to check out the 18 mile long ORV trail at Green Ridge State Forest near Hancock, Maryland. My wife ended up having to work all day and my brother was out of town, so I was literally by myself. Oh well, still had a good time! :)

Here's a map of the area:

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclan...dge_ORVmap.pdf

I live in Baltimore, which approximately an hour and forty minutes away (without traffic). I left at about 9:30am. Stopped at Clear Springs (about 15 miles west of Hagerstown) for some breakfast and was at exit 62 on I-68 at about 11:30 am. As soon as you get off the exit you're dumped onto gravel roads that aren't marked very clearly. I had printed out the map I linked to above. I didn't have too much trouble finding my way until the last turn. There's a stop sign but I got confused as to which road I was on and ended up going the wrong way. I didn't know anything was wrong until I crossed campsite 79. That's where I took the first couple of pictures (the ones where the top is still all the way up and the Jeep is least dirty ).

I turned around and found a couple of guys on ATV's and decided to just follow them in and didn't have any more problems. I passed a guy in a red TJ and a guy in a white XJ who were leaving on my way in. Got to the parking lot at the trailhead and there were a handful of tow vehicles parked around. The trail makes a big 18 mile long loop, and from the parking lot you can go clockwise or counterclockwise on the loop.

I initially decided to go clockwise, but about 100 yards into the trail there was a sign that said "ORV/Motorcycle ONE WAY" pointing counterclockwise. I got confused and turned around and went the other way. Found out later (as you can see by the picture of the sign I took) that licensed vehicles (i.e. Jeeps/trucks) can go either way, only motorcycles/ATVs are limited to one way.

Anyway, so I turned around and went back to the parking lot and headed off counterclockwise. I had read reviews and saw some short videos about the trail and it had been described as very easy and nothing special. I wasn't expecting much but was hoping that although we havent had a lot of rain lately there'd still be some mud holes to play in. This part of the trail was excellent, lots of off-camber spots, some moderate rocks and some decent mud holes. It's true that a stock Wrangler could probably handle this trail with no issues, but depending on how wet it is you could get in some hairy spots with street or all-terrain tires. With MTR's you should be fine. I ended up running in 4-low, not because I needed it but because it was easier to control my speed (less clutch work).

So about a mile and a half in, I passed a guy in a Chevy pickup going the other way who told me that about another mile and a half in there was a large tree down that was blocking the trail and they had to turn around. I decided to keep going to see it for myself. I eventually made it to the tree and he was right, there was no way around it. So I turned around and started to head back. Right after I turned around I passed an older Toyota pickup and I passed along the information that they were going to have to turn around. Didn't see anybody else ecept for a guy in a brand new looking JK who I passed right as I was making it back to the parking lot.

I got back to the parking lot at about 1:00. I was looking at the map and trying to decide what to do, seeing as how I wouldn't be able to complete the loop. There's a road that cuts through the trail about halfway through the loop, so I decided to go clockwise until I got to this road (depending on how long it took to get there). Starting from the parking lot, there's some interesting (but not too difficult) climbs, and then you get on top of the mountain (where the scenic photos were taken). Once you get on top there are a couple of slightly rocky areas, but it's mostly flat with just a couple of small mud pits - not the most exciting four wheelin', but the views make up for it. The one picture is an old abandoned shack that was up there with an old school bus parked behind it. That was just a couple hundred yards from the clearing with the power lines. I don't think the pictures did justice to how high up it was and how steep it was down both sides of the trail. When I pulled into that clearing with the power lines, I snapped the two photos you see, and then the battery on my camera died so I couldn't get any more.

Not too far past the power lines you start to make a descent and then you cross the road. By the time I got to the road it was about 2:45, so I decided to go ahead and call it a day since my wife was getting off work at 4, and I wanted to leave part of the trail unexplored to give me reason to want to come back soon .

All in all it was a lot of fun and while it's definitely not as extreme as say Rausch Creek or the old Paragon park, it only cost me about $30 in gas and the views were amazing.

Sorry for the crappy quality of the video.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
Thanks for never offroading it; previous owner

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

323LX posted:

Saturday I went to check out the 18 mile long ORV trail at Green Ridge State Forest near Hancock, Maryland. My wife ended up having to work all day and my brother was out of town, so I was literally by myself. Oh well, still had a good time! :)

I've been meaning to get up there, I've been to Rauch Creek but not Green Ridge. I just haven't had the time to get out that way.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Saw an interesting Jeep the other day, it was really bad rear end, biodiesel with a 6.6L Duramax powertrain conversion professionally done. Real high end work.

The situation was inappropriate for taking pictures but I found one online after a bit of searching.

The owner has several, some stock in mint shape apparently in his collection.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geared Hub posted:

Saw an interesting Jeep the other day, it was really bad rear end, biodiesel with a 6.6L Duramax powertrain conversion professionally done. Real high end work.

The situation was inappropriate for taking pictures but I found one online after a bit of searching.

The owner has several, some stock in mint shape apparently in his collection.

I like it but those wheels are terrible.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I replaced two AC lines in my 99 XJ 4x4 4.0L, evacuated the system and refilled with PAG oil and R-134a. It blows cold and no leaks!

The diff cover was leaking so I put a new gasket and RTV on along with fresh fluid.

I had a cracked headlight so I put on new glass E-code H4 conversion housings with new bulbs. The headlights are loving bright now.

My neighbor helped me re-attach an incorrectly installed drum adjuster cable and adjusted the rear drums. The brakes feel a lot better but the parking brake still doesn't work because of a broken cable. I ordered new cables, new hardware kit, new adjuster kits, and new shoes. The rear brakes should be set for a long while after all that stuff goes on this coming weekend.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

I like it but those wheels are terrible.
Yeah, what on earth would possess him to fit those? It'd look fantastic with something a bit more subtle.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, what on earth would possess him to fit those? It'd look fantastic with something a bit more subtle.

I have a neighbor with a Wrangler sporting even worse wheels. I'll try and snap a picture of it tonight but he always keeps it in the garage. I think he's ashamed of it.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
What the gently caress is wrong with people?! So, it's now been in the 80s here in Seattle. Summer has arrived. I've had the doors and top off my Rubi for weeks now. It seems I'm the only one. Every Wrangler I see - TJ or JK, is still rolling around all buttoned up. Even softtops haven't been dropped! I just don't get it; why buy a Wrangler if you're not going to pull everything off when it gets nice out?! Hell, at least drop the top! I just shake my head when I see other Jeeps with their windows rolled down and their tops on as I drive by with my bare foot hanging out the door and the sun blazing down on my hat.

I guess I'm just way cooler than those other fools.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
TBH putting the top up and down sucks rear end. ESPECIALLY an unlimited top.

Unless you wanna get the three grand automatic electric wrangler top.

That's why I love my half hard top, doors off done. Lust like a bikini, that doesn't leak.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
It's been over 80(!), so everyone is keeping their tops on and blasting their AC. That and I don't think most casual TJ/JK owners really 'get it'. When I had my YJ, the top and doors came off in May and stayed off until October, but I always had the safari top on for shade since all of the highways and freeways can turn into parking lots within minutes.

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

Unless you wanna get the three grand automatic electric wrangler top.

Is that what they're calling the "Freedom Top" option when you price out a new JK?

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Sharp_angus posted:

Is that what they're calling the "Freedom Top" option when you price out a new JK?

No, the Freedom Top is the 3 piece hardtop. I've never heard of this automatic electric wrangler top.

Also, I still use my A/C with the top and doors off. But only when I'm stopped in traffic - helps cool the feet!

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
Looks like the electric top company went tits up. Barker tops. $3300 for wrangler.

323LX
Feb 17, 2004
"Thank you for taking a ride on the Infinite Sadness Express..."

Veeb0rg posted:

I've been meaning to get up there, I've been to Rauch Creek but not Green Ridge. I just haven't had the time to get out that way.

I've heard grumblings that there is a new off road park in development that will be located very close to where the old Paragon park was on some old abandoned coal mining property...

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

Gat the flat fenders installed with rear tube flares.

MCE Flat Fenders are made from ABS. 4" LED turn signals next. Rear are XRC 3" Tube Fenders.

As much as I lust after that conversion of yours, I am not a fan of how it looks with those flat flares.

On a related note, a guy on the JKOwners forum is selling a green Jeepster conversion that looks mighty nice.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

InitialDave posted:

The owner is far from subtle :).

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Braincloud posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with people?! So, it's now been in the 80s here in Seattle. Summer has arrived. I've had the doors and top off my Rubi for weeks now. It seems I'm the only one. Every Wrangler I see - TJ or JK, is still rolling around all buttoned up. Even softtops haven't been dropped! I just don't get it; why buy a Wrangler if you're not going to pull everything off when it gets nice out?! Hell, at least drop the top! I just shake my head when I see other Jeeps with their windows rolled down and their tops on as I drive by with my bare foot hanging out the door and the sun blazing down on my hat.

I guess I'm just way cooler than those other fools.

Are you in a black JK? I saw one with roof, doors, etc off yesterday--looked like the driver was having a great time.

I just need to find a nice LJ rubicon for under 17k and I'll be a Jeep owner. Soooo jealous of all the wranglers I see out now. :(

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

mod sassinator posted:

Are you in a black JK? I saw one with roof, doors, etc off yesterday--looked like the driver was having a great time.

I just need to find a nice LJ rubicon for under 17k and I'll be a Jeep owner. Soooo jealous of all the wranglers I see out now. :(

If was a black JK Rubi covered in about 4 months worth of dirt, dust, and mud, then it could have been me - I played hookie from work yesterday.

Also, I've realized I'll find excuses to drive more when it's nice out and I have a naked Rubi. Like, grocery store 2 blocks away (literally)? Hop in the Jeep! Going to get takeout from up the street? Nope, I'll drive to the next one 5 miles away. I'm a dork.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I have a question about the 5.2 V8 in my ZJ.

At idle I have an oil pressure sitting at 20 and when driving it climbs to 40 to 60. I'm a little worried that my pressure is low and may indicate needing engine work. It's at 130,000 and maybe I'm over-reacting - any advice?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

My 99 WJ started doing the 'AC drain backing up into the passenger-side floor' thing. About 2 hours into a week-long trip. When the temp was 100. :argh:

Blew it out when I got home - seems to have helped. Here's hoping. My compressor only does 100 PSI though, and I've seen people recommend 150 PSI. Hope it was enough.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
Anyone had a chance to see the WKII in person yet? I went to a dealer yesterday that had one red Laredo and one red Limited available to check out and wow, you can see how these things are made alongside the Mercedes G class. Really nice vehicle but it's the least Jeepish Jeep I've ever seen. Bet it rides like a dream though.

Scrubed
Oct 3, 2002

I am a Romosexual.

Braincloud posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with people?!

Because on my Bestop for some goat loving reason the zipper on the driver side rear passenger window is attached the the window instead of the top. Getting the passenger side on is a breeze, getting the driver side on requires breaking a finger and cursing.

Also my softop hardware was semi janky due to PO. Getting both latches to settle in and lock flat requires a ton of finesse (rocking the car back and forth as i yank the top to the left).

Scrubed
Oct 3, 2002

I am a Romosexual.

Doctor Zero posted:

My 99 WJ started doing the 'AC drain backing up into the passenger-side floor' thing. About 2 hours into a week-long trip. When the temp was 100. :argh:

Blew it out when I got home - seems to have helped. Here's hoping. My compressor only does 100 PSI though, and I've seen people recommend 150 PSI. Hope it was enough.

Oh... I didn't know you could fix that. I've just dealt with it for years.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Scrubed posted:

Oh... I didn't know you could fix that. I've just dealt with it for years.

Apparently you can't. Well, I can't - I'm going to have to take it to the dealer. This is my third Jeep that's done it, and they have some method of blowing it out and clearing it. I guess my compressor isn't strong enough to completely clear it because I still get a little water. :sigh: At least they don't charge much for it (I've had them do it for free before, but I won't hold my breath).

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
There is a thing they sell at the hardware store called a Zip-it. It is a long flexible piece of plastic with barbs on it designed to pull hair out of shower drains. Maybe if you cut all the barbs off it you could use it to push the crud out of the drain tubes?

They cost less than $2.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

VH4Ever posted:

Anyone had a chance to see the WKII in person yet? I went to a dealer yesterday that had one red Laredo and one red Limited available to check out and wow, you can see how these things are made alongside the Mercedes G class. Really nice vehicle but it's the least Jeepish Jeep I've ever seen. Bet it rides like a dream though.

My friend wants to get one. I've been helping him out looking at used Jeeps and 4 runners for camping, off roading and such, and hes given up at buying used and went from a $5000 cash budget to "gently caress it, I'm sick of these assholes trying to pawn busted poo poo, so I'll finance $40,000 instead".

I'm trying to find him a nice clean stock, not beat on Jeep for him :(

I told him if he was going to buy new, get a Rubicon Wrangler. The new WK2 looks nice but I wouldn't spend that coin on it.. but that's just me.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

PBCrunch posted:

There is a thing they sell at the hardware store called a Zip-it. It is a long flexible piece of plastic with barbs on it designed to pull hair out of shower drains. Maybe if you cut all the barbs off it you could use it to push the crud out of the drain tubes?

They cost less than $2.

From what i've read, you aren't supposed to use wire for fear of damaging whatever is up there, but plastic is a great idea. I may give that a shot.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Geared Hub posted:

My friend wants to get one. I've been helping him out looking at used Jeeps and 4 runners for camping, off roading and such, and hes given up at buying used and went from a $5000 cash budget to "gently caress it, I'm sick of these assholes trying to pawn busted poo poo, so I'll finance $40,000 instead".

I'm trying to find him a nice clean stock, not beat on Jeep for him :(

I told him if he was going to buy new, get a Rubicon Wrangler. The new WK2 looks nice but I wouldn't spend that coin on it.. but that's just me.

Yeah I didn't catch the price on the Laredo but the Limited WK2 I sat in stickered for $42K.

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
My poor CJ is getting passed around like a slut, I lent it to a friend who no longer wants to deal with leaking gas lines and bad ignition. Passing it off to my dad now who's backyard it'll stay in and not get the love it needs.

Lesson learned: 2nd vehicles are an unnecessary expense and worse so when you're away from home for 7 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008
I'm getting bored with my GTI and i'm thinking of trading it in on this Rubicon.

http://www.carmax.com/enUS/view-car...32-d9e249a76d7d

I've never owned a Jeep before and I'm doing more outdoorsy stuff plus i'm getting tired of getting stuck in my driveway in the winter. KBB for that year rubicon is around 19k so I think it's a good deal. Can someone tell me if it's decent or if I should be looking at a wrangler other than a rubicon? I really won't be doing serious off road but I do like the Rubicon features so the option is there if I do get into that stuff.