Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Plastic Jesus posted:

XLK?

Bingo! I don't know why the hell I couldn't find it myself.

(although I think I was misremembering because its performance is less than stellar)

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Silly rant by MF as AAPL breaks 260 http://caps.fool.com/Blogs/why-apple-is-in-worse-shape/424512.

Tasty and Delicious fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 27, 2010

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Gonna be putting some money into CPIX as they have some important dates coming up in the late fall, waiting for a dip.

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What's happening in the fall? The charts make it look rather beaten down and not ready for a breakout just yet. Could be by the fall though.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Tasty and Delicious posted:

What's happening in the fall? The charts make it look rather beaten down and not ready for a breakout just yet. Could be by the fall though.

PUFDA date early September. The drop was due to a recent offering at 8.3x or so, but the float is still low and I expect a fair size run on hype leading up to the date.

ifuckedjesus
Sep 5, 2002
filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez
What do you guys think of RIG? They are getting some bad publicity with the BP disaster but pay a decent dividend and are roughly 1/2 price of where they were a few months ago.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

ifuckedjesus posted:

What do you guys think of RIG?

This should be stickied at the top of every page or something. I barely read this thread and I've already seen this answered 7 times.

Midget Mafia
Apr 17, 2002

ifuckedjesus posted:

What do you guys think of RIG? They are getting some bad publicity with the BP disaster but pay a decent dividend and are roughly 1/2 price of where they were a few months ago.

There's other offshore drillers that are almost as beaten down by the spill as RIG and don't have the same potential liabilities that RIG has. Until their full liability in the spill is known, I'd stick with other drillers.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

ifuckedjesus posted:

RIG doesn't have a dividend, and there's many many companies which are 1/2 price what they were a few months ago (usually because they're collapsing).

That said, I do own some RIG and think it'll see a nice recovery over the next few years.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Weird question:

my TD Ameritrade account somehow got 6 shares of MDOEF into it. Looking back at the transaction history, I never bought or transfered this stock. I do not know how it got there, any idea?

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
Google says that Provident Energy spun it off recently.

skindepth
Jun 22, 2010

Janin posted:

Seriously? AIB is haemorrhaging money, and the only reason LYG isn't is because it's selling off anything that isn't nailed down.

Hence why they're this low. But these are fairly major national banks, Banco Santander is another one that a few professional funds actually invest in. I for one would expect that they'll recover though I know some would be turned fof by the volatility, its not as much a sure thing as, say, gold or oil (if theyre sure things considering the gold bubble, etc) I had a friend tell me to invest in Ford back when their stock had hit 1 dollar during the worst of the recession, and I've always kicked myself for not listening. Now Europe seems to be offering a second chance.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

skindepth posted:

Hence why they're this low. But these are fairly major national banks, Banco Santander is another one that a few professional funds actually invest in. I for one would expect that they'll recover though I know some would be turned fof by the volatility, its not as much a sure thing as, say, gold or oil (if theyre sure things considering the gold bubble, etc) I had a friend tell me to invest in Ford back when their stock had hit 1 dollar during the worst of the recession, and I've always kicked myself for not listening. Now Europe seems to be offering a second chance.

on the other hand if you tried to do that with GM you would be out a dollar

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Hobologist posted:

Google says that Provident Energy spun it off recently.

Ok thanks, I couldn't find any info on it and I do own PVX so that explains it!

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
What does everyone think about ED? It seems like a fairly stable, low beta, stock with a really nice dividend. I think it would be a nice place to stash some money for the next year or so until fuel prices pick up again.

Would wait unit it dips down to ~44 until I would buy in though...

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Tasty and Delicious posted:

Silly rant by MF as AAPL breaks 260 http://caps.fool.com/Blogs/why-apple-is-in-worse-shape/424512.

Not a fan of MF, but that's just the blog of a CAPS member not an actual staff article.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Cheesemaster200 posted:

What does everyone think about ED? It seems like a fairly stable, low beta, stock with a really nice dividend. I think it would be a nice place to stash some money for the next year or so until fuel prices pick up again.

Would wait unit it dips down to ~44 until I would buy in though...

I really like Utility stuff and they have paid an increasing dividend every year for nearly 40 years. http://dividata.com/stock/ED/dividend Natural monopolies work in your favor.

They are on my short list to buy when I get some extra cash together, along with an MLP or 2.

I like MLPs because they act as toll booths for petro commodities and pay a good dividend too.

lazybrain
Feb 6, 2007
Can anybody in here make a compelling case for DELL? I'm long certain companies in the tech sector, notably AAPL and INTC, and I'm not very experienced with the sell side, so I thought I'd ask around before getting some of those tasty-looking November 13 puts.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

lazybrain posted:

Can anybody in here make a compelling case for DELL? I'm long certain companies in the tech sector, notably AAPL and INTC, and I'm not very experienced with the sell side, so I thought I'd ask around before getting some of those tasty-looking November 13 puts.

goes Private?

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

lazybrain posted:

Last I read on Dell, they were getting hammered on deceptive accounting practices - if it weren't for INTC's rebate program (corporate bribes) Dell wouldn't have been in the black every quarter. To me that says without subsidies from another company, Dell isn't a great stock choice in the long run.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

skindepth posted:

I currently have some AIB back before it dipped and I've been trying to decide what to do about it. I don't think it's going to go under because of govt support but I do think it will take a while for them to return to profitability...I'm tempted to buy while it's so cheap, but it's also like that Ford situation, the uncertainity makes it a tough decision. I've been watching the news reports for something positive that indicates a bit more long term stability.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Christ, nvda really fell off an edge today. I wish I had more money to sink into it, at nearly 9.15 a pop, I think its a steal. I feel like a douche buying in at 10.30 last week now, though.....

Dead Pressed fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 30, 2010

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Wannabe day trader ITT. I'm picking up any and all trading/investing books on Amazon. I currently have:

The Neatest Little Guide to Stock Market Investing by Jason Kelly
A Beginner's Guide to Day Trading Online by Toni Turner

and I want to pick up the following in the coming weeks:
The Intelligent Investor: The Definitive Book on Value Investing
Trend Trading for a Living: Learn the Skills and Gain the Confidence to Trade for a Living
High Probability Trading
--

I'm a little concerned the content of all these books will contradict each other. Should I be worried?

edit: for those that are curious, I'm currently in school getting my bachelors in Business Administration. Day trading has always interested me and I graduate in December, so I figured I'd try my luck at day trading once I'm done with school. MY GIRLFRIEND's aunt and uncle day trade for a living and I plan on shadowing them for a week. I'd imagine watching someone actually do it and be successful is the best way to learn how to day trade, but I wanna be prepared by reading as many books as I can. I'd love for this to be my career when I graduate from school.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 30, 2010

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Corbet posted:

I'd imagine watching someone actually do it and be successful is the best way to learn how to day trade, but I wanna be prepared by reading as many books as I can. I'd love for this to be my career when I graduate from school.

I don't day trade per se but the best experience is real experience. When it comes down to it books won't help you, watch the price action on your favorite stock. But honestly, don't day trade unless you want to blow 25g's... do you have 25 g's to blow? Why do you think you want to do this as a career? Just watch the ticker and intra day charts for days on end, its mind numbing at best, and when you have dough riding on it, it can make you lose your mind. Do watch your gf's relatives for a few days, I think you will quickly realize that it takes a really specific mindset and its a mindset you won't necessarily want to have.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Corbet posted:

I'm a little concerned the content of all these books will contradict each other. Should I be worried?

Yes, no book will account for your personality which is a huge issue with day trading. FA and TA are big factors in trading but there's no training or reading that will make you a good day trader. Poker and day trading are about discipline.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Corbet posted:

Wannabe day trader ITT. I'm picking up any and all trading/investing books on Amazon. I currently have:

The Neatest Little Guide to Stock Market Investing by Jason Kelly
A Beginner's Guide to Day Trading Online by Toni Turner

and I want to pick up the following in the coming weeks:
The Intelligent Investor: The Definitive Book on Value Investing
Trend Trading for a Living: Learn the Skills and Gain the Confidence to Trade for a Living
High Probability Trading
--

Yes. The Intelligent Investor will contradict all those other books, and the neatest little guide will probably contradict the other books too. I don't know why trading and investing are conflated; they require almost diametrically opposed sets of skills.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Hobologist posted:

Yes. The Intelligent Investor will contradict all those other books, and the neatest little guide will probably contradict the other books too. I don't know why trading and investing are conflated; they require almost diametrically opposed sets of skills.

Can you further expand on this? What differences should I look for when reading books pertaining to investing compared to trading? Should I avoid "investing" books like the neatest little guide and intelligent investor for the time being if my goal is to learn to day trade?

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 30, 2010

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Corbet posted:

Can you further expand on this? What differences should I look for when reading books pertaining to investing compared to trading? Should I avoid "investing" books like the neatest little guide and intelligent investor for the time being if my goal is to learn to day trade?

Think of it this way in regards to day trading: Is Kobe, Smith, Aikman, Beckam good at what they do because they are well read in their sport?

You need that level of skill to be successful and a book won't help if you don't have the skill as a persona.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Corbet posted:

Trading involves predicting market price movements directly, while investing is the process of calculating returns on investments based on the earning power and prospects of the underlying asset. Therefore, they require you to look at entirely different things. It should be pretty obvious which type of book you're looking at, and typically a book about one approach will have nothing useful (or complimentary) to say about the other.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

Corbet posted:

If your goal is day trading, I think the most valid starter question is, 'what are you doing for capital?' Also, stop buying books and use your university library. Few trading books are worth reading, let alone keeping or spending money for.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
What does someone suggest for periods longer than day trading but not investing -- I'm talking weeks or months at max.

Tom Rakewell
Aug 24, 2004
Check out my progress!

No. 9 posted:

What does someone suggest for periods longer than day trading but not investing -- I'm talking weeks or months at max.

Follow the market?

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Hobologist posted:

Something just occurred to me: Chiquita Brands recently won a WTO lawsuit against Europe that their current tariff system was unfair, and assuming the Europeans play ball, they will cut the tariff down to a more reasonable size by 2017. Assuming Chiquita can maintain its current sales volume in Europe, this will save them about $60 million.

Taking out taxes and capitalizing at 10x results in roughly $400 million, which would be worth about $200 million today. Knocking that off the market cap, Chiquita Brands itself is selling for less than $400 million, which works out to a P/E ratio of about 4.

I'm excited.

I'm still excited.

Jack
Jan 19, 2001
I can't imagine what CRM has to report to stay trading where it does. SFSF reported what CRM should report, decent revs above consesus and guide up and they're off 15% or so in that period. CTCT another somewhat cloud computing company reported slighty less bullish numbers than SFSF mostly meeting guidance and they're off 15%.

I have to finally get bearish on BIDU too though. $810 split adjusted, nearly 30 billion market cap. They have to double revenues every year out to 2013 just to catch up to that cap. Yet you have other Chinese companies trading at near cash levels while growing at similar rates.

One can only hope facebook goes public at the 24 billion 'estimated' price from those private sale sites in 2011 as that will be a nice short too. Tech just seems to lead itself to overexuberance.

f2a
Feb 17, 2005

the pound is stronger than the dolla, holla

LactoseO.D.'d posted:

If your goal is day trading, I think the most valid starter question is, 'what are you doing for capital?' Also, stop buying books and use your university library. Few trading books are worth reading, let alone keeping or spending money for.

Pretty much this - don't bother with books. Just get a demo account and watch the market. Take trades based on your gut instinct and try to get a feel for it. The only way to learn is to get involved, so just make loads of trades - don't even worry about making (fake) money when you start.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

f2a posted:

Pretty much this - don't bother with books. Just get a demo account and watch the market. Take trades based on your gut instinct and try to get a feel for it. The only way to learn is to get involved, so just make loads of trades - don't even worry about making (fake) money when you start.

I wish it was easier to tell who's being serious around here and who isn't. How can he learn to predict the market without a book to tell him what indicators to look for?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Hobologist posted:

I wish it was easier to tell who's being serious around here and who isn't. How can he learn to predict the market without a book to tell him what indicators to look for?

f2a posted:

trades based on your gut instinct

lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

antishatter
Feb 25, 2006
jawsome with a j

f2a posted:

I mean, he needs to either find online resources or get a basic trading book. I would suggest he start trading now and get a book asap and watch how your style totally changes. You will notice a drastic change with every new piece of trading knowledge that is acquired, especially in the beginning.

Free Gucci Mane
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I just got turned down for a margin account at Tradeking because I don't have a record of full-time employment (I'm in college, working only during the summer). Is that pretty much par for the course for online brokers? The frustrating thing is that I don't even want to borrow on margin, all I want to do is shortsell and get rid of that annoying 3-day unsettled funds restriction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Free Gucci Mane posted:

I just got turned down for a margin account at Tradeking because I don't have a record of full-time employment (I'm in college, working only during the summer). Is that pretty much par for the course for online brokers? The frustrating thing is that I don't even want to borrow on margin, all I want to do is shortsell and get rid of that annoying 3-day unsettled funds restriction.

Schwab's margin requirement is 5k?

You must have a low balance to not qualify for margin.