Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
I haven't read Walking Dead except for the first 2 gigantic omnibuses, and holy poo poo what the gently caress, Issue 75, WHAT THE gently caress?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
If anyone needs something to fill the gap between now and 75/the tv series, some people put together a zombie audio serial.

It is better done than you might expect but its production is still a bit rough compared to professional radio dramas. Especially when it comes to the music, it is overused and generally too loud. Sound effects could have used a bit of leveling too. Still, it is about 3.5 hours or so of something people in this thread might be interested in.

They live in a jail.

EDIT: Actually, this is pretty crap. I made the post after listening to most of the first episode and it really drops off from there.

Antifreeze Head fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 22, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I gotta give him credit for the epilogue, too clever by half, Kirkman. That was really funny.

MethamphetaMan
Sep 12, 2003

He's got the need for speed.
Maybe when we get to issue 100 we can see a continuation of the epilogue. I need to see Carl murder some creepy alien kids!

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MethamphetaMan posted:

Maybe when we get to issue 100 we can see a continuation of the epilogue. I need to see Carl murder some creepy alien kids!

I kind of liked the little epilogue. I know that kirkman is never going to go into how the zombies came to be but personally I've been dying to know. I am more then willing to accept alien plot to take over the world. It's cannon to me now!

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

If that epilogue did anything, it showed me how amazing this book could have been with an artist who handles detail well. I mean, I know it's not fair to compare anyone to Cory Walker when it comes to explicit gore, but compare some of the epilogue pages to the scene of that guy getting torn apart earlier in the same issue.

The quality difference is like night and day.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Also the color on those pages was beautiful.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

teekun posted:

If that epilogue did anything, it showed me how amazing this book could have been with an artist who handles detail well. I mean, I know it's not fair to compare anyone to Cory Walker when it comes to explicit gore, but compare some of the epilogue pages to the scene of that guy getting torn apart earlier in the same issue.

The quality difference is like night and day.

No kidding. I sorta hate Adlard.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
People at Comic-Con are saying the Walking Dead sizzle reel they showed is insane.
Bear McCreary (from BSG) is doing the soundtrack.
Robert Kirkman writes episode 4.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Drunkboxer posted:

No kidding. I sorta hate Adlard.

Yeah. Every time I go back and look at my backissues and I see the artist who was on the first trade I get sad again :(

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Buddington posted:

Do you mean the actual plot of the issue or did you do what my girlfriend did and mistake the backup joke story for the ending? I let her read it first and towards the end she kept saying "What the gently caress?! What is going on?" and it was really hilarious when I read it and realized what happened. Otherwise the only thing I can think of that would be considered "loving weird" is Michonne not backing Rick up or Rick's extreme reaction to Pete possibly/probably beating his family, even though his whole monologue about killing one's family makes it pretty obvious he's acting crazy because he's got issues about Lori and his baby daughter dying.
The main story is still loving weird, because although Rick has always been a flawed character, up to this point he's been about as logical as can possibly be expected. Killing Martinez? Totally justified. Shooting Dexter? I would have. Up to this point, he actually has done exactly what he claimed - he makes hard choices that ensure the survival of the people around him. No matter how crazy poo poo has got, Rick's remained a total utilitarian, which is where his value lies. It's a totally unexplained curve-ball that he suddenly has (presumably) a mental break and decides to walk into some dude's house and beat the poo poo out of him, throwing him through his own window. Michonne not backing him up is totally justified, and should really be expected. It's obvious that Rick behaving like this badass, highly-principled desperado who plays by his own rules in the middle of a stable town run by a politician doesn't play well. He's very clearly endangering his group, and really every resident of their settlement by being such an rear end in a top hat, which is exactly the opposite of what he says he's doing.

I really hope Kirkman resolves this by Rick calming the gently caress down some, rather than getting kicked out of the camp or whatever. He's said and done dumb poo poo before ("You kill, you die!"), but he's always been fundamentally logical. It'd really annoy me if his issues really spelled the downfall of his group or whatever. There are so many more interesting potential conflicts to explore in this new setting, and it'd be a shame if Rick's crazy just ruined it all.

The epilogue was loving awesome, though.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It would be awesome if they make a jail for him.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Rick going insane was a little weird. I still thought that he had a valid point. That woman was going through hell and I can see his point about how it is naive to expect the doctor's bullshit to be limited to his family. Also, it's very fair for Rick to be incredibly pissed off at a guy that got to keep his wife and treats her like poo poo.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I actually kind of agree with the end result that was Rick's freakout (what with him obviously comparing it to losing his own wife and child), I just thought that the pacing of that whole scene could have been better. Rick should have at least tried to talk the guy down a bit before going into "punch you in the face" mode.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I'm glad Axel made a reappearance in the epilogue! No one has a better catchphrase than that old dude.

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

Davincie posted:

Also the color on those pages was beautiful.

Ryan Ottley on pencils with FCO Placentia on colors is one of the reasons I cannot ever stop reading Invincible, no matter how poo poo the story gets sometimes. The artwork itself justifies the book for me.

JayBulworth
Apr 1, 2010

Antifreeze Head posted:

If anyone needs something to fill the gap between now and 75/the tv series, some people put together a zombie audio serial.

It is better done than you might expect but its production is still a bit rough compared to professional radio dramas. Especially when it comes to the music, it is overused and generally too loud. Sound effects could have used a bit of leveling too. Still, it is about 3.5 hours or so of something people in this thread might be interested in.

They live in a jail.

EDIT: Actually, this is pretty crap. I made the post after listening to most of the first episode and it really drops off from there.

You might want to check this out: We're Alive. I don't really know how it compares to other radio drams it since it's the only radio drama I've ever heard but I like it. There's a little bit of World War Z in there, a little bit of Dawn of the Dead and a little bit of the Walking Dead.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I have a strong feeling that Abraham's absence this issue was no coincidence, and that he is going to side with Rick. I also think we are finally going to find out the dirty secret of the towns past soon.

Given everything that's taken place so far, I don't think anything would surprise me (Rick's death being the only exception).

Question - When Glenn said the zombies were acting differently, that was just due the guys being holed up inside the store, right?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Question - When Glenn said the zombies were acting differently, that was just due the guys being holed up inside the store, right?

That's how I read it.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I'm glad that I found this thread!

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Yeah, he couldn't understand why they were grouped up and milling around an area. When they saw that there were guys holed up in that store, it explained why.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

teekun posted:

Yeah, he couldn't understand why they were grouped up and milling around an area. When they saw that there were guys holed up in that store, it explained why.

maybe THEY'RE the group that's going to pull apart the community. Even if it's only in a "we have to help them", "no we don't" kind of way.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I don't think that anyone at the town would agree to accept people who sacrifice someone to the horde just to save themselves. Instead of I don't know, climbing to a roof and finding a way out there.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

JayBulworth posted:

You might want to check this out: We're Alive. I don't really know how it compares to other radio drams it since it's the only radio drama I've ever heard but I like it. There's a little bit of World War Z in there, a little bit of Dawn of the Dead and a little bit of the Walking Dead.

Is there any way to download those? I'd like to have them on my iPhone, but every time I click the iTunes link it crashes Firefox.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

JossiRossi posted:

I don't think that anyone at the town would agree to accept people who sacrifice someone to the horde just to save themselves. Instead of I don't know, climbing to a roof and finding a way out there.
Yeah, isn't that pretty explicitly one of the tests for being offered citizenship in the town? The "we follow you for a few days and see if you've become loving savages" test?

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 28, 2010

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Help me Johnny Boy you're my only hope.

Wa11y posted:

Is there any way to download those? I'd like to have them on my iPhone, but every time I click the iTunes link it crashes Firefox.

I had the same problem, Just get on the itunes store and search for We're alive. Look in the podcasts section should be number one. It really is good and seems to have good production values, not too amateurish.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, it's that pretty explicitly one of the tests for being offered citizenship in the town? The "we follow you for a few days and see if you've become loving savages" test?

well we shall see!

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Wa11y posted:

I went to http://feeds.feedburner.com/itpc/wwwwaylandws/Wayland_Productions/Were_Alive_-_Podcast/rssxml (the feedburner link) and just did the old right click and Save As thing.

Definately way way better than the one I found, in story, acting and production values. Still overuses music but it doesn't really get in the way of the story so it doesn't really matter.

Does a couple new things, seems to copy many more, but I like it well enough that I will tune in next month when the new episode comes out.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

JayBulworth posted:

I just want to say that this has been a really fun adventure. I'm most of the way through it, and I really like where they're going with it. It's like a not retarded Resident Evil.

Ensign Shiro Amada
Mar 18, 2007

Creating peace through violence since 1996
I'm new to the thread and The Walking Dead. Digested it all up to current in a few days. It's been a lot of fun. Anyway,

enigmahfc posted:

I actually kind of agree with the end result that was Rick's freakout (what with him obviously comparing it to losing his own wife and child), I just thought that the pacing of that whole scene could have been better. Rick should have at least tried to talk the guy down a bit before going into "punch you in the face" mode.

I totally agree about the pacing. Obviously a switch flips inside of Rick, but there's no point where we see that happen, and we more or less see him the whole time leading up to his attack. I mean, even a crazy phone conversation with Lori would have clarified how his anger boiled over into all out rage.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Is there a reason they haven't gone back to the whole "use the scent of corpses as camo" from like the second issue? It seems that would pretty useful.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Preview for issue 76 out tomorrow: http://uk.comics.ign.com/articles/111/1111216p1.html

We find out all about Davidson and there are guys with Tattoos!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Chunk posted:

Is there a reason they haven't gone back to the whole "use the scent of corpses as camo" from like the second issue? It seems that would pretty useful.

You'd probably have to be really careful not to get any zombie gunk on any open cuts or orifices, and it's got to smell like absolute rotten poo poo, no matter what kind of breathing apparatus you have on.

The cons are probably greater than the pros.

Ensign Shiro Amada
Mar 18, 2007

ruddiger posted:

You'd probably have to be really careful not to get any zombie gunk on any open cuts or orifices

Is that the case? Haven't they already found that they're all infected regardless of being bitten?

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
Yeah but zombie fluids are still a very lethal pathogen. It's why a bite is still a death sentence.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I just saw a trailer for this through a survey, so if anyone has any questions, I'll answer them.

I had never heard of Walking Dead before that, but holy poo poo, I will now be going out of my way to get the trade collections and to watch this show when it is released.

Ensign Shiro Amada
Mar 18, 2007

Gassire posted:

Yeah but zombie fluids are still a very lethal pathogen. It's why a bite is still a death sentence.

I didn't think it was that lethal. I thought it was just that the bites wouldn't seal up/heal.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

Capsaicin posted:

I just saw a trailer for this through a survey, so if anyone has any questions, I'll answer them.

I had never heard of Walking Dead before that, but holy poo poo, I will now be going out of my way to get the trade collections and to watch this show when it is released.

So.. if you've never heard of the walking dead before, what sort of questions could you possibly answer?

Well, I guess you could answer if it's the same trailer shown at comic con.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Jack Skeleton posted:

So.. if you've never heard of the walking dead before, what sort of questions could you possibly answer?

Well, I guess you could answer if it's the same trailer shown at comic con.

I don't know if it was or not. I didn't want to go through the thread cause I saw the first post had a bunch of unmarked spoilers. :shobon:

It started out with a police chase that ended in one dude getting shot, then he woke up in a hospital and stuff. Some black guy had to shoot his zombie wife and the cop guy was crawling underneath a tank or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Ensign Shiro Amada posted:

I didn't think it was that lethal. I thought it was just that the bites wouldn't seal up/heal.

It's toxic man, try rubbing a wound in with some dead cadavres and feces and see how long you live.

• Locked thread