Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Solomon Grundy posted:

Do you want to buy a house?
Do you want to travel?
Do you or your wife want to take a few years off when the kids are young?
Do you ever want to retire?
Do you want to pay for your children's college education?

If you want these things, do your math over.

My wife and I make a lot more than the numbers you posted, and it is not enough.

This is one of the most intensely amusing and ridiculous posts I've ever read, primarily because it is 100% serious.*

* I think, if it is satire then :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I think I'd want to hit those students

goddamn nobody should be allowed to take econ 101 without taking a basic psych course

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 27, 2016

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Gadamer posted:

Or logic course...

No a logic course would just reinforce all those deductions from completely absurd premises without looking at those premises.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
my grandmother took a bad fall in a nationwide department store in jersey. my uncle is only licensed to practice in new york.

could they bring suit in new york, under the personal jurisdiction argument that said department store has minimum contacts with new york? this is my understanding, based on the 0L prep-work that I have been doing.

IzzyFnStradlin fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 28, 2010

NoodleBaby
Jul 11, 2010

Solomon Grundy posted:

Do you want to buy a house?
Do you want to travel?
Do you or your wife want to take a few years off when the kids are young?
Do you ever want to retire?
Do you want to pay for your children's college education?

My wife and I make a lot more than the numbers you posted, and it is not enough.

1. Already did
2. Already do quite frequently
3. No
4. Not really
5. No

The tone of your post indicates that everyone wants these things...obviously.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

my grandmother took a bad fall in a nationwide department store in jersey. my uncle is only licensed to practice in new york.

could they bring suit in new york, under the personal jurisdiction argument that said department store has minimum contacts with new york? this is my understanding, based on the 0L prep-work that I have been doing.

I don't know NY's jurisdiction laws without looking them up, but almost every state finds a way to allow residents to sue in state court.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

evilweasel posted:

No a logic course would just reinforce all those deductions from completely absurd premises without looking at those premises.

Yep.

evilweasel posted:

goddamn nobody should be allowed to take econ 101 without taking a basic psych course

I remember taking macro and micro in college and thinking "oh, I understand EVERYTHING now", and then heard an econ professor bitch about exactly that attitude, and now I know why.

If you want to wreck someone's brain for life, have them take econ 101 without anything else.

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Welcome back Izzy!! How's Yale and the rock life.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

evilweasel posted:

Was a phil double major and the logic courses took made it very clear to differentiate between valid and sound arguments. :psyduck:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

NoodleBaby posted:

The tone of your post indicates that everyone wants these things...obviously.

No, the tone of his post indicates all lawyers are entitled to these things.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Petey posted:

Welcome back Izzy!! How's Yale and the rock life.
Thanks Petey! I got my BA like 5 years ago, and haven't been back to CT since. I hate that place.

Some other legal matters:

1. Wentworth Miller II, of LEEWS fame, is the father of Wentworth Miller III, of Prison Break fame.

2. I successfully sued my white-trash former landlord in small claims court.

3. My buddy decided to do a 2L split-summer between Simpson, Thatcher & Bartlett and some no-name San Francisco firm. He wants to practice in NY. He's retarded, right?

Leon Kowalski
Dec 9, 2007

Wolf Den this is Lone Wolf, do you read? Prepare for emergency landing, arriving with American POWs!

Solomon Grundy posted:

Do you want to buy a house? Already did with a lot less than $120k/yr.
Do you want to travel? Time is the bigger constraint
Do you or your wife want to take a few years off when the kids are young? No
Do you ever want to retire? Sure.
Do you want to pay for your children's college education? No, but I'll probably help with living expenses

My wife and I make a lot more than the numbers you posted ($120,000), and it is not enough.

(My comments in bold above)

You're either joking with us, or you live in Monte Carlo.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Does the department store have a principal place in NY or is it a NY corporation?

Otherwise, I don't think NY's long-arm statute would cover this since all the events, injury, and harm appear to have taken place in New Jersey.

As you probably know, this is not meant to be construed as professional legal advice.

Maybe your uncle could get in contact with a local counsel in New Jersey and get pro hac'd in?

Adar posted:

awesome it's even worse than I thought and these numbers are not just garbage, they're discounted toilet paper

Whose numbers are garbage?

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 28, 2010

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

1. Wentworth Miller II, of LEEWS fame, is the father of Wentworth Miller III, of Prison Break fame.

wait, really??

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Mr Gentleman posted:

wait, really??
totally.

quote:

Liosi: One more question, a personal one if you don't mind. Your first name is Wentworth. Pretty unusual. There's an actor, Wentworth Miller, the lead in a new series on FOX, Prison Break. He's up for a Golden Globe. Also, I think he was in The Human Stain. Any relation?
Miller: So glad you asked! Always looking to slip that little aspect in.
Wentworth Miller is my son. I'm Wentworth, Jr. He's the third.

source:
http://www.clsj1994.com/archived_articles/January2006/archived_article_january_2006.asp

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

The great thing about many lawyers as parents is that they often go out of their way to help their kids live their dreams instead of going to law school. Oftentimes, from my experience, they actively discourage their kids from becoming attorneys.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
I wish I knew more of those people because then ~daddy's little girl~ wouldn't be out taking my jobs. Most of the people I know who got jobs at OCIs had parents for lawyers sooooo

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

TyChan posted:

The great thing about many lawyers as parents is that they often go out of their way to help their kids live their dreams instead of going to law school. Oftentimes, from my experience, they actively discourage their kids from becoming attorneys.
One of my law school professor's sons was terrible rocker Andrew WK, of "let's get the party started" fame.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

TyChan posted:

to an extent.

conversely, my parents are TTT-grad public defender trash, and actively discouraged me from pursuing my dreams to be an artist/musician, to the extent that i am in weekly therapy and take a heavy dosage of SSRIs and Xanax.

Because I - as a Yale Graduate about to enter a top-four law school - feel that I have not lived up to their expectations.

Parents will gently caress you up no matter what their profession.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Because I - as a Yale Graduate about to enter a top-four law school - feel that I have not lived up to their expectations.

You act as if it was some sort of accomplishment.

It means gently caress-all.

You are just one among thousands. Keep climbing.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Izzy's back :woop:

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
The trolling really is masterful but I can't help but have a little part of me wish it were all true. Anyone who is on Xanax and SSRIs because mommy didn't love him while he played guitar is going to have spectacular problems dealing with the actual stresses of law school and the eventual flame-out would be glorious.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

to an extent.

conversely, my parents are TTT-grad public defender trash, and actively discouraged me from pursuing my dreams to be an artist/musician, to the extent that i am in weekly therapy and take a heavy dosage of SSRIs and Xanax.

Was money tight for them? Having a lot of education without a lot of money will do that to parents.

EDIT: Oh. Trolled again.

Business
Feb 6, 2007

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

to an extent.

hahahhahah you didn't get into hys

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

billion dollar bitch posted:

Yeah, but do you live in Oklahoma, though.

Leon Kowalski posted:

You're either joking with us, or you live in Monte Carlo.

I live a couple of states over from Oklahoma, still in the Midwest.

bewbies posted:

This is one of the most intensely amusing and ridiculous posts I've ever read, primarily because it is 100% serious.*

Dead serious. 120k per year to a couple in their late 20's seems like a lot more than it is to a couple in their 40s. We did not have the benefit of IBR and will be paying student loans into our 50s. We have a child who will start college in 10 years. We have two more who will follow shortly behind. Current tuition estimates for 2020 suggest that I will need between $130-250k per child to pay for their education. So I need to save up several hundreds of thousands of dollars over the next ten years to meet that goal. I need more money.

Retirement planners suggest saving 15% of your income if you expect that social security will be there when you retire. I don't, so I try to save more, and fail at it. I need more money.

My wife took several years off of full time work when the babies were young, and it cost us a mint. I don't begrudge that money a bit, because it was important to us that we not outsource our newborns to a daycare. But different strokes for different folks. That was a family decision that put us into some home equity debt, but that is what it is. I would like to pay the debt off, so I need more money.

The hit we take is on travel, house, and cars. We hardly go anywhere, and we both drive beaters. Our house is a normal suburban house, nothing flashy, in a relatively low COLA area. I would like to travel and have a nicer car, but I can't afford it. I need more money.

bewbies posted:

No, the tone of his post indicates all lawyers are entitled to these things.

I never said that. I said that 120k a year is not enough to meet the goals I mentioned above. It has nothing to do with the source of the income.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Solomon Grundy posted:

Current tuition estimates for 2020 suggest that I will need between $130-250k per child to pay for their education.

At expensive private schools with no scholarships.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Seriously Grundy, where did you get those education estimates?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

quote:

For the benefit of the uninitiated, "dump truck" is a term commonly used by criminal defendants when complaining about the public defender. The origins of the phrase are somewhat obscure. However, it probably means that in the eyes of the defendant the public defender is simply trying to dump him rather than afford him a vigorous defense. It is an odd phenomenon familiar to all trial judges who handle arraignment calendars that some criminal defendants have a deep distrust for the public defender. This erupts from time to time in savage abuse to these long-suffering but dedicated lawyers. It is almost a truism that a criminal defendant would rather have the most inept private counsel than the most skilled and capable public defender. Often the arraigning judge appoints the public defender only to watch in silent horror as the defendant's family, having hocked the family jewels, hire a lawyer for him, sometimes a marginal misfit who is allowed to represent him only because of some ghastly mistake on the part of the Bar Examiners and the ruling of the Supreme Court in Smith v. Superior Court, 68 Cal.2d 547 [68 Cal.Rptr. 1, 440 P.2d 65].

People v. Huffman (Cal. App. 4th Dist. 1977) 71 Cal. App. 3d 63, 70 fn 2
J. Gardner, you are my hero

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Solomon Grundy posted:

I need more money.

No, you don't.

You started this nonsense by suggesting that $120k/year isn't "enough to get by, even with kids". There is nowhere in America that $120,000 annually won't allow you and your kids to live safely and comfortably. Nowhere. To even suggest that shows a shallowness and self-centeredness that borders on delusional.

That said, I'll bet anything that you and maybe your wife are enjoying a very typical two-part problem that a lot of people in your position have.

First, you think that you're somehow entitled to do things like "take a few years off", along with the other crap you listed. For most of the world, all of the things you listed are not even close to achievable, yet here you are whining anonymously that you're so unlucky and downtrodden that you might never achieve them. I don't think you have any idea how narcissistic this really is.

Second, you're probably absolutely horrible money managers. $120k a year should provide you with all of your "necessities" and plenty of disposable income left over. That it apparently is not means that you need to 1) develop realistic goals, and 2) figure out what kind of crap you're spending your money on.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

entris posted:

Seriously Grundy, where did you get those education estimates?

Are they that far off? I'm not saying this is the best metric, but Ivy League schools are already at $40K+ a year just for tuition. Even good state schools are getting higher. Right now, University of California is apparently around $30k for tuition and campus and system fees, which would mean about $120k for school just right now. University of Virginia charges $23k/year for tuition and fees for in-state students and $46k/year for out-of-state students. I think his numbers are a pretty reasonable guess about what he'll face in the next decade.

Like many other things, tuitions and other costs for colleges on all levels of the prestige spectrum are going up. Plus, if Grundy and his wife are making decent money, I don't think he can count on financial aid or scholarships to kick in to help pay for his schooling. What you might perceive as an unspectacular middle class income can take out various financial aid options.

As far as merit scholarships go, who can count on that?

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

CaptainScraps posted:

You act as if it was some sort of accomplishment.

It means gently caress-all.

You are just one among thousands. Keep climbing.
News to me that scoring in the 99th percentile on the LSAT, graduating from the #3 undergraduate institution in the country, and getting into 2/4 HYSC is not an accomplishment. Keep telling yourself that it is not.

Defleshed posted:

The trolling really is masterful but I can't help but have a little part of me wish it were all true. Anyone who is on Xanax and SSRIs because mommy didn't love him while he played guitar is going to have spectacular problems dealing with the actual stresses of law school and the eventual flame-out would be glorious.
Sadly, it's all true.

Here are the drugs I got today from Dr. Feelgood:

Business posted:

hahahhahah you didn't get into hys
Incorrect. I got into 1/3.

Edit: gently caress it - I got into Harvard, Columbia, Northwestern, Virginia, Michigan, Duke, and Vandy. I was rejected from NYU (???), Yale, and Berkeley.

TyChan posted:

Was money tight for them? Having a lot of education without a lot of money will do that to parents.

EDIT: Oh. Trolled again.
Money wasn't particularly tight, but their salaries are absurdly low given their profession and how long that they have been practicing - 30 years. My Mother is a first-appearance public defender. Her clients are the homeless and drug addicts. My father is, I guess, one level higher, as he gets DUIs and things of that nature. My mother makes 52K, my father 62k.

And I am not trolling.

IzzyFnStradlin fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 28, 2010

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
If my wife and I started making $120K a year tomorrow, it would literally solve every problem we're dealing with right now and I would be loving singing in the streets. It sure would be nice to be putting away some money, have more than one car, and be able to eat out more than once a month.

I plan to help our kids where and when we can, but I will not be outright paying for their education, even if I were financially capable of doing so. In my experience that does nothing but create spoiled pieces of poo poo, and quite frankly I've learned the hard way that an advanced education isn't even something that is necessary to live a fulfilling life.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

News to me that scoring in the 99th percentile on the LSAT, graduating from the #3 undergraduate institution in the country, and getting into 2/4 HYSC is not an accomplishment. Keep telling yourself that it is not.

It means precisely gently caress-all. You have some pieces of paper. Everyone at H and C have the same pieces of paper. Every alumni that has graduated has had the same. There are people at all four schools that have better paper than you.

Everything you have done up to this point means precisely gently caress-all now.

;-*

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 28, 2010

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Welp, just lost my first jury trial today. It was a tough case, but the worse part is that I can no longer say that I've never lost a jury trial before.

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

Solomon Grundy posted:

I live a couple of states over from Oklahoma, still in the Midwest.

Dead serious. 120k per year to a couple in their late 20's seems like a lot more than it is to a couple in their 40s. We did not have the benefit of IBR and will be paying student loans into our 50s. We have a child who will start college in 10 years. We have two more who will follow shortly behind. Current tuition estimates for 2020 suggest that I will need between $130-250k per child to pay for their education. So I need to save up several hundreds of thousands of dollars over the next ten years to meet that goal. I need more money.

Retirement planners suggest saving 15% of your income if you expect that social security will be there when you retire. I don't, so I try to save more, and fail at it. I need more money.

My wife took several years off of full time work when the babies were young, and it cost us a mint. I don't begrudge that money a bit, because it was important to us that we not outsource our newborns to a daycare. But different strokes for different folks. That was a family decision that put us into some home equity debt, but that is what it is. I would like to pay the debt off, so I need more money.

The hit we take is on travel, house, and cars. We hardly go anywhere, and we both drive beaters. Our house is a normal suburban house, nothing flashy, in a relatively low COLA area. I would like to travel and have a nicer car, but I can't afford it. I need more money.

I never said that. I said that 120k a year is not enough to meet the goals I mentioned above. It has nothing to do with the source of the income.

Jesus, dude, for being in the top ten percent of earners in the richest country on Earth, your life sure does suck.

I'll pray for you to get a raise tonight.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Daico posted:

Jesus, dude, for being in the top ten percent of earners in the richest country on Earth, your life sure does suck.

I'll pray for you to get a raise tonight.

You like tea and musicals.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CaptainScraps posted:

It means precisely gently caress-all. You have some pieces of paper. Everyone at H and C have the same pieces of paper. Every alumni that has graduated has had the same. There are people at all four schools that have better paper than you.

Everything you have done up to this point means precisely gently caress-all now.

;-*

Not really people will always be impressed by going to Yale.

Also man this thread makes me so glad I don't have loans.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CaptainScraps posted:

;-*

I thought you were being sarcastic before.

I think graduating with a Yale degree and getting into a top6 law school is certainly an accomplishment.

But Izzy you have a serious over-reaction issue. Posting pictures of your antidepressants just to prove to anonymous internet strangers that you aren't trolling? Really?

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
I went to community college and then to state school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

CaptainScraps posted:

You like tea and musicals.

I don't dispute either of these facts.