Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

KFC is missing a trick here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

highme posted:

The FC in Portland TImbers FC does stand for Football Club, though I'm not sure that's being carried over to the MLS side.

There's no FC in their name.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

wicka posted:

There's no FC in their name.

It's there for a lot of the merchandise (official and otherwise). It's not like Dallas or Toronto though where that's how the team is listed on schedules and standings etc., but Portland Timbers FC (and PTFC) is commonly used locally.

Almost like a bunch of European sides where the FC part is dropped a lot of the time but they're still "Football Clubs".

just sayin'

That doesn't excuse Toronto's ownership tacking FC to the end of their name and having no explanation for it though.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

highme posted:

Almost like a bunch of European sides where the FC part is dropped a lot of the time but they're still "Football Clubs".

F.C. is always dropped for English teams just because that's how you treat the suffix, but yeah, it's good to know Portland isn't retarded about it. I could care less what format MLS teams use for their names as long as they aren't retarded about that. One would think that's not difficult but I guess not.

vvv I've always wondered that as well.

wicka fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 28, 2010

Nyarlothotep
Apr 14, 2007
Don't fail to see Nyarlathotep if he comes to Providence. He is horrible — horrible beyond anything you can imagine — but wonderful. He haunts one for hours afterward. I am still shuddering at what he showed.

highme posted:

The FC in Portland TImbers FC does stand for Football Club, though I'm not sure that's being carried over to the MLS side.

I know this is a bit of a derail, but could someone explain why they have to found a new team to play in the MLS, rather than just moving the old team to a new division? Is there some kind of legal reason?

highme
May 25, 2001

They're not really founding a new team. It's the same ownership, the head coach will be the "technical director" for the MLS team. Based on ownership moves to date, I'm just not sure what they'll decide to carry over or change.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

highme posted:

They're not really founding a new team. It's the same ownership, the head coach will be the "technical director" for the MLS team. Based on ownership moves to date, I'm just not sure what they'll decide to carry over or change.

No, we're all aware that it's not a new team, it's just weird that they view it as if the USL team folded and the MLS team replaced it. Why not just continue as the same team, but in MLS?

Nyarlothotep
Apr 14, 2007
Don't fail to see Nyarlathotep if he comes to Providence. He is horrible — horrible beyond anything you can imagine — but wonderful. He haunts one for hours afterward. I am still shuddering at what he showed.

highme posted:

I remember when Seattle Sounders moved to MLS a few years back the old Sounders ceased to be and where replaced with a new club, Seattle Sounders FC. I mean I know the coaches, staff and players will mostly be the same between teams and so it's not entirely a brand new club, but why do they need to do this at all? Why not just move the whole team over as is?

E: basically what Wicka is asking.

highme
May 25, 2001

wicka posted:

No, we're all aware that it's not a new team, it's just weird that they view it as if the USL team folded and the MLS team replaced it. Why not just continue as the same team, but in MLS?

Honestly, I have no idea. Maybe it's something required by the MLS.

Most of the people I know who follow the Timbers don't see it as the USL team folding and the MLS team taking it's place. When the ownership was building up to the release of the new logo they were making a big deal about the history of the club having 3 eras, NASL, USL and MLS.

Seattle started in the MLS last year and brought some of their USL players, but not too many. They also hired Sigi Schmid away from Columbus to coach. I don't expect many of the current Timbers' roster to make the MLS squad, and a head coach announcement is expected soon.

And to keep this discussion sorta relevant. I hope they release the MLS kits soon. I got a guest pass to the Adidas employee store at the WC finals that I'm saving until they're available.

highme fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 28, 2010

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

highme posted:

And to keep this discussion sorta relevant. I hope they release the MLS kits soon. I got a guest pass to the Adidas employee store at the WC finals that I'm saving until they're available.

I think they're going to be announced/shown in the fall. I wouldn't expect them to be available to buy until later, too; Vancouver's shown off its kits but they're still not available for purchase, either.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Fag Boy Jim posted:

just get a retro kit and never worry about being up to date again

If I wait long enough, my new ones become retro!

Augustus Rumpus
Sep 23, 2007

code:
McEnroe!

highme posted:

I didn't think Portland ever had an FC, even in NASL or USL days.

EDIT: I'm an idiot and didn't see the ten posts or so above on this page.

Augustus Rumpus fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 28, 2010

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I need this Inter 07/08 greatness, but the only place I found was some Italian eBay shop for 99€. I've got no experience with buying dated jerseys, but I pretty much exhausted every possible google search. Anyone know of italian websites that could still have these in stock? ..or any other website I might've missed for that matter

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections

Paul Pot posted:

I need this Inter 07/08 greatness, but the only place I found was some Italian eBay shop for 99€. I've got no experience with buying dated jerseys, but I pretty much exhausted every possible google search. Anyone know of italian websites that could still have these in stock? ..or any other website I might've missed for that matter

http://cgi.ebay.com/Inter-Milan-Awa...c#ht_500wt_1014

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
has anyone seen Inter's new kit?

last season's was so classy (i have an Eto'o home :cool:)

all i can say about this one is :barf:

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Eugh, yeah. Woeful.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

EC10 posted:

2010: the year people forget what stripes are.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
Juventus is also doing a jagged edge on their stripes, but it's not quite as noticeable from a distance.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

EC10 posted:

Forgive me everyone, but the home shirt reminds me of lasagna.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

The SARS Volta posted:

Forgive me everyone, but the home shirt reminds me of lasagna.

I thought more of bow-tie pasta.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

EC10 posted:

I would kill my own mother to have that away shirt.

it must be mine

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

ShimSham posted:

I thought more of bow-tie pasta.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

partipo
Sep 24, 2005
participaction?

EC10 posted:

i don't understand what's happening on the away one

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah that away shirt is loving awesome. I've been waiting either to have enough spare cash to pick one up or for soccer triads to get it in my size.

The home kit...not so much.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
The new Pumas jersey is horrible as always

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

partipo posted:

i don't understand what's happening on the away one

partipo
Sep 24, 2005
participaction?

MoPZiG posted:

i understand what's happening on the away one

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

The SARS Volta posted:

A man bending forward away from the camera. The bit in the middle is his penis and the seperate line at the bottom is a turd.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

The SARS Volta posted:

That's actually fairly restrained compared to how gaudy they normally are.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Yeah, but I'm never going to unsee what SteadfastMeat shared with us.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
But where will they put the race car ads?

Taxes
Jan 26, 2010

From here, it's possible.
I thought the Inter aways were just supposed to have the serpent on the side?

I may have just dreamed it up.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Taxes posted:

I thought the Inter aways were just supposed to have the serpent on the side?

I may have just dreamed it up.
Thought so too, pretty sure everyone did since one of the more recent FIFA 11 screenshots I've seen have it with just the dragon on the side.

Alex_DeLarge
Sep 28, 2001

Newcastles at Noon

real_scud posted:

Thought so too, pretty sure everyone did since one of the more recent FIFA 11 screenshots I've seen have it with just the dragon on the side.

Yeah looks like thats somebody's custom design. The actual kits are at:
http://store.inter.it/prodotti.asp?lingua=ENG&cat=405
They have pixely stripes and side snakes. Too bad, I wouldn't have minded the more prominent snake.

w00bi
Dec 11, 2004

:negative:

Chelsea's third.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

w00bi posted:

:negative:

Chelsea's third.

Hahahahahahahaha good loving good is that awful looking. It looks like someone's run them over by a bike or something.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
I think it's nice. I like the blue stripe from the neck right down.

Kouerson
Mar 5, 2008

If you die in Canada, you die in real life.
Can anyone actually get stripes right this year?

Brimmy
Jan 13, 2006

"Never gonna give it up, Adrian."
So what sites are good for buying jerseys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Couch posted:

Holy poo poo those MLS tops are amazing.

Does anyone have any larger/clearly picture of all the kits?

Galleries of past MLS uniforms are hard to find. http://www.classicfootballshirts.co.uk/ has some nice examples in the USA section, though.