Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

entris posted:

I thought you were being sarcastic before.

I think graduating with a Yale degree and getting into a top6 law school is certainly an accomplishment.

But Izzy you have a serious over-reaction issue. Posting pictures of your antidepressants just to prove to anonymous internet strangers that you aren't trolling? Really?

Do you guys not remember some of Izzy's fantastic posts in this thread before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

entris posted:

I thought you were being sarcastic before.

I think graduating with a Yale degree and getting into a top6 law school is certainly an accomplishment.

Let me just go call up opposing counsel and say that because I went to Texas while he went to a lower-ranked school, he should disregard his years of experience and settle the drat case already because my natural law aptitude beats the poo poo out of him. I'll also tell him our expert witnesses are both from Harvard and that he shouldn't bother objecting to anything they say.

I'll also go walk in and tell my boss that I went to a higher-ranked law school than him and that he should file whatever the hell I want to file.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Petey posted:

e: from lawgoons #12:

IFS posted:

Yes, but my question is are there many law students who appreciate both, like myself? I am not trolling. I have a degree from Yale in music and neuroscience, tried my luck in the the arts for a few years and failed, took the LSAT, scored a 174, and submitted my applications a month ago. Take it easy, pal, buddy, friend, boss. I just want to know if I will have anything to talk about with the other jerks in my class.

IFS posted:

Sheesh, you guys want some dip for those chips?

The only reason I gave my credentials was to counter the assertion that I was trolling, not to suggest that I am somehow superior (Which, in point of fact, I realize now that I probably am given what I have just read.)

All I wanted to know was if many law students enjoyed the arts on any serious level. You guys sure have a lot of problems to work through. Have you ever thought of seeing a psychologist or a psychiatrist?

from the most recent parts of his rap sheet:

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

loving man i am feeling ALIVE

jim beam, law school nxt year, got this stupid fuckin band full of local atlanta retards.

they are all SUCH loving HICKS down here.

it is like, yeah, atl is supposed to be full of enlightened niggers, which is TOTALLY true.

but, i wish i could've got some of them in my rhythm section!

anyway, yeah, loving Harvard Law in 2 months.

trying to get signed to subpop before then.

cause then i am quitting all this poo poo and then theyt will underswand?>

but thanks for asking, buddy!!!

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

dude, i will gently caress you up beyond belief.

just cause you have some stupid friend of the family in your avatar doesn't mean poo poo.

i am loving anglo-saxon loving british skinhead, and i don't take poo poo from loving gentrifier white pussies. so, let's go, bitch. i'll loving kick your loving teeth in and then show you my tattoos.

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

It is no secret that the children of the Baby Boomers are returning in droves to the cities once left by their grandparents in the 1950s, returning from and/or responding to WWII. The suburbs, as a phenomenon, were born during this period.

It seems that the "twenty-somethings" of today seek something more than the lame, sterilized, homogenized version of the American Dream put upon us by our parents and/or grandparents.

We want the bright lights and the glitz! We want it all!

So, real estate people, tell me about this new and exciting white American urbanism. Tell me about people in their 20s "reclaiming" United States city neighborhoods "lost" and "forgotten" in the wake of White Flight, which was responding to the various "Great Migrations" of black people from the south.

To me, it is a mixed bag. On the one hand, white people made cities great, only to leave them to the dogs once things got a little rough. On the other, this new movement of smart, educated, law-abiding white people back to the cities displaces entire communities of the "under class". The "undesirables", if you will. And, in return, it makes these communities boring and stale, for the most part. Because white professionals of this generation want their amenities.

So, many would argue that cities are returning to their cultural heyday, but the dangerous elements are being squeezed out. But what is lost in the process?

What say you? What is going on here? Is it good? Bad? Do we take the good with the bad? Is Starbucks worth peace of mind?

Tough questions, to be certain.

Personally, I say that if you are white and can't tie your roots back to a city in two generations or less, you should probably stay the gently caress where you are. I'm lookin at you, Brooklyn transplants.

And if you are black, well, get a loving job and stop rapping about how "hard" the projects are, because white people live there now, so the game is up, and you have been found out to be a phony. Get a new fuckin speech, you lazy jerk-offs.

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

[I guess I intend this tread to be a place for us boys to vent about our baby mama's giving us drama. I sure as poo poo know I got some, and suspect that you do too!]

So, tomorrow night I got a prime-location ticket to see Skynyrd at the Garden (in NYC).

My plan was to cut out of work early, get loving tanked at my local bar, head over to the Garden, drink some beers on the street, go into the Garden, grab a couple a $8 dollar Garden beers, and just loving rock and roll the rest of the night.

PROBLEM: My loving ex-old lady calls me about an hour ago, saying that she wants to do this and that, blah blah, and can I watch the kid?

What the gently caress?

I mean, it's loving SKYNYRD!!!

I got baby mama drama, ask/tell, and I suspect that you might as well.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

bewbies posted:

No, you don't.

You started this nonsense by suggesting that $120k/year isn't "enough to get by, even with kids". There is nowhere in America that $120,000 annually won't allow you and your kids to live safely and comfortably. Nowhere. To even suggest that shows a shallowness and self-centeredness that borders on delusional.

Your definition of "getting by on" and mine are different. I don't count it as "getting by" unless I can retire someday and send my kids to school. I agree that you can put a roof over your head and food on the table for $120k. Is that all there is to life?

bewbies posted:

That said, I'll bet anything that you and maybe your wife are enjoying a very typical two-part problem that a lot of people in your position have.

First, you think that you're somehow entitled to do things like "take a few years off", along with the other crap you listed. For most of the world, all of the things you listed are not even close to achievable, yet here you are whining anonymously that you're so unlucky and downtrodden that you might never achieve them. I don't think you have any idea how narcissistic this really is.

I am not whining, I am pretty lucky. Most of my classmates have not done as well as me. But I don't think it is outrageous, in a first world nation, after spending many years and tons of dollars on education, to earn an income that will allow you to pay for your childrens' schooling and retire someday. Certainly, that may be an unrealistic expectation for someone considering law school in the current market. But it was not an unrealistic expectation 15 years ago when I went to law school.

As for taking time off to raise your kids, the majority of U.S. households were single-paycheck households up until the 1970's or so. Now, with two incomes we struggle to afford what our grandparent's generation did on one paycheck. Is that progress?

bewbies posted:

Second, you're probably absolutely horrible money managers. $120k a year should provide you with all of your "necessities" and plenty of disposable income left over. That it apparently is not means that you need to 1) develop realistic goals, and 2) figure out what kind of crap you're spending your money on.

I don't think I am a horrible money manager, but what do I know? We budget, and save, and don't spend a ton. We eat out twice a month, max. Never go to movies. We made $10,000 off of our first house. Bought modest cars that we are driving into the ground. Every time Oprah has a budgeting special, we already do all of the things that her experts suggest. We did spend $80 at the county fair this month. Maybe that is the hole in the budget?

I am crunched by two sets of educational loans, and a desire that my kids never have to pay that kind of debt.

entris posted:

Seriously Grundy, where did you get those education estimates?

A couple years ago, my wife and I projected it from current tuitions and inflation rates. But here is a media piece with similar numbers
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/CollegeAndFamily/SavingForCollege/Your5MinuteGuideToSavingForCollege.aspx

Defleshed posted:

If my wife and I started making $120K a year tomorrow, it would literally solve every problem we're dealing with right now and I would be loving singing in the streets. It sure would be nice to be putting away some money, have more than one car, and be able to eat out more than once a month.

I used to feel that way too.

Defleshed posted:

I plan to help our kids where and when we can, but I will not be outright paying for their education, even if I were financially capable of doing so. In my experience that does nothing but create spoiled pieces of poo poo, and quite frankly I've learned the hard way that an advanced education isn't even something that is necessary to live a fulfilling life.

And my experience is that having to borrow your rear end off to go to school limits your ability to take risks and follow any passions you might have. Some of my friends who flunked out of college and had nothing to lose (and no debt) went on to take risks and do some really amazing things. I have been saddled with the debt load for so long that I can't take any risks. I have had opportunities to leave the practice of law and do things that might, or might not, make me rich. The "might not" means that I can't pay my debts, and that means I can't feed my kids, and then bankruptcy. Can't do it.

I don't want my kids to have the same pressure when they grow up. I don't want them to be so risk-averse. That doesn't mean that I won't encourage them to look at all options, including not going to college. But I want to be able to provide that if they want it.

I don't think it is abnormal for a white collar professional in his 40's to have a decent suburban house, send his kids to school, and retire someday. If that is an outrageous sense of entitlement, then I accept the criticism. The only purpose of my post was to point out that, while $120k may feel like enough in your late 20's - it really isn't as much as you think, when you start factoring in retirement and your own kids' educational expenses.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Petey posted:

Wow, no I didn't realize this, but this is fantastic.

CaptainScraps posted:

Let me just go call up opposing counsel and say that because I went to Texas while he went to a lower-ranked school, he should disregard his years of experience and settle the drat case already because my natural law aptitude beats the poo poo out of him. I'll also tell him our expert witnesses are both from Harvard and that he shouldn't bother objecting to anything they say.

I'll also go walk in and tell my boss that I went to a higher-ranked law school than him and that he should file whatever the hell I want to file.

Uh, way to straw-man my position there. I said that graduating from Yale and getting into a top6 law school is an accomplishment, I didn't say it was license to act like an rear end in a top hat. I didn't say that it means you get to boss people around whose paper credentials might be less than yours.

How can you argue that getting into a competitive law school isn't an accomplishment? It's hard to do, it's very competitive, isn't that by definition an accomplishment?! I really don't get your response.

I'm not saying that going to Yale makes you better than the guy who goes to a non-ABA accredited California law school, but I am saying that getting into the former is more of an accomplishment than getting into the latter, because it's harder to do and requires more work and talent. What's so objectionable about this?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Solomon Grundy posted:

I am crunched by two sets of educational loans, and a desire that my kids never have to pay that kind of debt.

I think the debt is probably a pretty critical part of your problem, and it may not be realistic to expect your kids to not have to pay anything.

I mean, my dad worked several jobs and paid his way through state school, no debt, and started saving for my brothers and I.

He made a lot of money, and I went to the same state school, but I still had to take out loans, just because what was a reasonably high savings rate when he began saving could not cover even state school today.

On the other hand, financing a college education has become much more reasonable. Paying $150 a month for my loans is not crushing me. Even if I had $250k in loans, with IBR I'd be limited to $330 a month, which would suck, but would be doable.

I sympathize with your worries and aspirations, and agree that we've regressed since our parents generation in this respect. That said, it is true that $120k still puts you fairly high in the family income bracket for the U.S. Not that it makes your problems less real, but that it accentuates the struggles that most people face, living and working and hoping to retire someday.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

How much do you think would be enough to live on if you never planned on finding love

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

How much do you think would be enough to live on if you never planned on finding love

this should be across the top of northeastern's financial aid documents

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

entris posted:

I said that graduating from Yale and getting into a top6 law school is an accomplishment, I didn't say it was license to act like an rear end in a top hat.

I think we're on the same page here because it's in reference to IzzyFnStradlin.

I'm glad for everyone who's gotten into law school. It's pretty rad and took a hell of a lot of work. However, pretending like it gives you authority over other law students and lawyers is ludicrous because they all did something similar.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 28, 2010

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Solomon Grundy posted:

Your definition of "getting by on" and mine are different. I don't count it as "getting by" unless I can retire someday and send my kids to school. I agree that you can put a roof over your head and food on the table for $120k. Is that all there is to life?
If your idea of "getting by" is "paying for all my children to go to expensive private schools without borrowing anything and without them getting any financial aid," then yeah, that gets pretty pricey.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Solomon Grundy posted:

The only purpose of my post was to point out that, while $120k may feel like enough in your late 20's - it really isn't as much as you think, when you start factoring in retirement and your own kids' educational expenses.

I'm glad you posted your earlier post, because I think most of us don't have kids and a family, and we don't understand just how much things can cost.

Thanks for the link to the moneycentral article.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CaptainScraps posted:

I think we're on the same page here because it's in reference to IzzyFnStradlin.

I'm glad for everyone who's gotten into law school. It's pretty rad and took a hell of a lot of work. However, pretending like it gives you authority over other law students and lawyers is ludicrous because they all did something similar.

Fair enough! Izzy is a masterful troll / idiot.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've looked into it, as I've had more one-night stands than girlfriends, and neither of my paternal uncles is married.

They live in North Jersey. One owns a home worth 1 million and a Manhattan apartment worth about 400k. He probably makes 200k/year. The other owns two apartments in North Jersey, each worth about 300k. He probably makes 80k.

So, given that this is the most expensive area of the country, I'd say prospects are bright for the swingin' single bachelor lawyer. :)

Edit: And, in point of fact, I am bankin' on it!

IzzyFnStradlin fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 28, 2010

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

entris posted:

Fair enough! Izzy is a masterful troll / idiot.

My opinion leans towards the latter, especially given that rap sheet. :whatup:

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Solomon Grundy posted:

Your definition of "getting by on" and mine are different. I don't count it as "getting by" unless I can retire someday and send my kids to school.

Being able to afford tuition for three kids to go to the college of their choice hasn't been doable for the majority of the population for awhile so I think your definition of "getting by" is vastly different than most people's. I don't think its some new phenomenon - it definitely existed when I was in high school. If you feel that strongly about these goals, then after child #1 or child #2, you probably should have re-evaluated your financial situation and perhaps come to the conclusion that you possibly couldn't afford another child. I mean, what if the "white collar professional in his 40's" only wants to have a decent suburban house, send his kids to school, and retire someday... but he has ten children?

But hopefully if someone makes $120k right now with no children, in 18+ years when they have kids who need to go to college, they won't both still be making $120k combined.

Edit: Also, firings and downgrades in status at the main office of my old firm today. Nice to not be involved.

HooKars fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 28, 2010

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
It's a lot more reasonable to want to be rich/richer in the United States than in Europe. Compared to other developed countries, America is a place where it sucks to have an average income.

In Europe, university is cheap as poo poo so people don't have to worry about paying for their kids' educations or having loans. In general both men and women get about six months of paid maternity/paternity leave and another six months of unpaid leave. Public transportation is good so you don't have to own a car. Health care is adequate and health problems aren't a huge financial drain. Having several weeks of paid vacation per year is mandatory. There are really generous safety nets for people if things go wrong. The United States doesn't have this stuff.

In the United States a family with an income even close to as low as average is one moderate disaster away from being in deep poo poo. Having money is really important in the United States compared to other developed countries, because our system is centered around making as much money as you can for yourself.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I leave town for one day and miss the return of Izzy.

hey izzy: friendly reminder that I got a 175 on the lsat, dwarfing your pitiful weak-brained plebe trash 174 :smugdog:

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

I leave town for one day and miss the return of Izzy.

hey izzy: friendly reminder that I got a 175 on the lsat, dwarfing your pitiful weak-brained plebe trash 174 :smugdog:
congrats man! where are you studying/headed?

(in point of fact, once we are in these upper-registers of the 99th percentile, we can all share a laugh over a drink (or ten), by my estimation!)

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
175 buddies what's up

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
also, I medicate my depression with bourbon, not cymbalta, you puss :smugbert:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

if you got worse than a 175 you're barely smarter than a rock

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

congrats man! where are you studying/headed?

(in point of fact, once we are in these upper-registers of the 99th percentile, we can all share a laugh over a drink (or ten), by my estimation!)
um, upper register of the 99th percentile? a 174 is only 99.5th, sorry. I only associate with 99.7th percentile or better

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

also, I medicate my depression with bourbon, not cymbalta, you puss :smugbert:
likewise!

now, where did you say that you were studying again? you have moxie, and that can't be learned! i'd love to chat with you over a drink (or ten) - bourbon, naturally!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Solomon Grundy posted:

We did spend $80 at the county fair this month.

$3 each for elephant ears! :argh:

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

HooKars posted:

Being able to afford tuition for three kids to go to the college of their choice hasn't been doable for the majority of the population for awhile so I think your definition of "getting by" is vastly different than most people's. I don't think its some new phenomenon - it definitely existed when I was in high school. If you feel that strongly about these goals, then after child #1 or child #2, you probably should have re-evaluated your financial situation and perhaps come to the conclusion that you possibly couldn't afford another child. I mean, what if the "white collar professional in his 40's" only wants to have a decent suburban house, send his kids to school, and retire someday... but he has ten children?

But hopefully if someone makes $120k right now with no children, in 18+ years when they have kids who need to go to college, they won't both still be making $120k combined.

You're right, I hosed up by having a third kid if I wanted to meet all my goals. But I wouldn't trade her for the world, or even an early retirement. There is nothing I can do about that now.

I agree completely that a couple making $120k before having kids is in good shape. Start saving now, don't buy too much house, and watch your lifestyle. But we never were that couple. My income has close to tripled over my 12 year career as a lawyer, and my wife's doubled. But that gives you an idea of how little we made our first few years.

If I'm not the oldest one in the thread, I am close to it. I am just giving you the perspective of the old guy. Factor it in to your planning, or label me a cranky old kook, it is up to you.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

evilweasel posted:

I got a 46 :(
Maybe that's why I make less than the median pay for an '09 grad...

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Solomon Grundy posted:

You're right, I hosed up by having a third kid if I wanted to meet all my goals. But I wouldn't trade her for the world, or even an early retirement. There is nothing I can do about that now.

I know and of course you wouldn't trade her for the world. I'm just saying that at some point maybe all your goals could have been accomplished without too much sacrifice (1 kid) and at some point, all your goals become ridiculous (10 kids).

Solomon Grundy posted:

If I'm not the oldest one in the thread, I am close to it. I am just giving you the perspective of the old guy. Factor it in to your planning, or label me a cranky old kook, it is up to you.

I was all set to have little welfare babies with Ainsley but apparently he wants to live the bachelor life :( I need a new plan.

NoodleBaby
Jul 11, 2010

Solomon Grundy posted:

Factor it in to your planning, or label me a cranky old kook, it is up to you.

Factor what into our planning?

And I'd really like to hear what advice you would give my two best friends, both of whom do not have college degrees, probably never will since we are all approaching 30, and are at best making $30,000 a year. What should they factor into their planning?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I was just talking about love, nobody said anything about welfare babies

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

HooKars posted:

I know and of course you wouldn't trade her for the world. I'm just saying that at some point maybe all your goals could have been accomplished without too much sacrifice (1 kid) and at some point, all your goals become ridiculous (10 kids).

I was all set to have little welfare babies with Ainsley but apparently he wants to live the bachelor life :( I need a new plan.

If he only had one kid, how was he going to get enough money from selling children to the gypsies when it was time to retire?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

evilweasel posted:

welcome to intro to contracts with elizabeth warren I guess

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

177!

And I got loving waitlisted at Wisconsin.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

gvibes posted:

177!

And I got loving waitlisted at Wisconsin.

probably because they knew you would never go there in a million years. its all about keeping those numbers up

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

True story - my 163 got me waitlisted at valpo

yes that means i applied to valpo that's how little research i did before i went to law school

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

True story - my 163 got me waitlisted at valpo

yes that means i applied to valpo that's how little research i did before i went to law school
I saw on top-law-schools the following mantra: "Go to Valpo, dine on Alpo". Alpo being a dog food, of course.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

That's clever, I wonder where they got that from

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Tetrix posted:

probably because they knew you would never go there in a million years. its all about keeping those numbers up
That and I applied really late (or rather, my application was completed really late because someone, either the LSAC or my reference, lost the loving reference letter).

I got into one of the nine schools I applied to.

e: Oh, and my average LSAT was only 173.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
185 bitches
I got extra credit for getting all the questions on the part that didn't count right.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

gvibes posted:

That and I applied really late (or rather, my application was completed really late because someone, either the LSAC or my reference, lost the loving reference letter).

I got into one of the nine schools I applied to.

e: Oh, and my average LSAT was only 173.
1 for 9 with a 177?

Take a year off, apply very early next cycle, refine your personal statement, reconsider your recommendations, shoot for the T14 only.

Best of luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

1 for 9 with a 177?

Take a year off, apply very early next cycle, refine your personal statement, reconsider your recommendations, shoot for the T14 only.

Best of luck!
This was ~9 years ago.