Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn
Bar is over, have fun waiting three months before you know if youre a lawyer or not

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

News to me that scoring in the 99th percentile on the LSAT, graduating from the #3 undergraduate institution in the country, and getting into 2/4 HYSC is not an accomplishment. Keep telling yourself that it is not.

:lol: somebody post the ranking system explanation that shows the bulk of the score consists of popular opinion and factors that have nothing to do with the institution per se.

congrats on being a drug addled loser though izzy, i'll give you that

Lykourgos fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

gvibes posted:

This was ~9 years ago.

Does that mean you were in the class where the two people got caught loving in the law library?

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Lykourgos posted:

:lol: somebody post the ranking system explanation that shows the bulk of the score consists of popular opinion and factors that have nothing to do with the institution per se.
Come on man, you can do better than that. Everything is popular perception, just to varying degrees. Citizen Kane is the best movie because more fat losers say it is. Revolver is the best rock album because more bespectacled geeks sing its praises.

Point is, I tell anyone in the loving civilized world that I went to Yale and will be going to Harvard, and I'm Czar of the loving Universe. The best jobs follow. End of story. What the gently caress do you think this all means, if not that, then? I mean, really. I am perplexed by your logic.

Lykourgos posted:

congrats on being a drug addled loser though izzy, i'll give you that
I take issue with "loser" and view my supreme academic accomplishments, despite my drug-addled existence for the past 7 years or so, as testament to my staggering intellectual fortitude.

Would that I could, I'd trade it all for a single moment playing my guitar in front of 20,000 eager listeners. Alas, I'll simply have to settle for the Ivy League.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

gvibes posted:

That and I applied really late (or rather, my application was completed really late because someone, either the LSAC or my reference, lost the loving reference letter).

I got into one of the nine schools I applied to.

e: Oh, and my average LSAT was only 173.

I did this and got into Wisconsin with a 168.

It's good to know that someone hosed up harder with better prospects than me.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
bar isn't over for texans :( tuesday was just the preliminaries (MPT, P&E short answer), tomorrow is our ludicrously broad essay component

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
TWO TROLLS ENTER ONE TROLL LEAVES

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

Defleshed posted:

TWO TROLLS ENTER ONE TROLL LEAVES

hopefully both of them leave.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Abugadu posted:

Does that mean you were in the class where the two people got caught loving in the law library?

That was my section. Sadly, it was (probably) mere ex-boyfriend slander :(

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

billion dollar bitch posted:

hopefully both of them leave.

you are welcome to stop reading/posting. very, very welcome.

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Come on man, you can do better than that. Everything is popular perception, just to varying degrees. Citizen Kane is the best movie because more fat losers say it is. Revolver is the best rock album because more bespectacled geeks sing its praises.

Point is, I tell anyone in the loving civilized world that I went to Yale and will be going to Harvard, and I'm Czar of the loving Universe. The best jobs follow. End of story. What the gently caress do you think this all means, if not that, then? I mean, really. I am perplexed by your logic.

okay you're obviously a deaf idiot, but even by your own standards you're horribly delusional. Even if it's all just to "varying degrees," when you take a look at the ranking system you can see that it is to an extreme and shameful degree in this instance. It's sad because you think you got a great education, but you fail to realise this simple detail that contradicts all your posts. I guess that's because you've been living a...

quote:

drug-addled existence for the past 7 years or so

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Lykourgos posted:

okay you're obviously a deaf idiot, but even by your own standards you're horribly delusional. Even if it's all just to "varying degrees," when you take a look at the ranking system you can see that it is to an extreme and shameful degree in this instance. It's sad because you think you got a great education, but you fail to realise this simple detail that contradicts all your posts. I guess that's because you've been living a...
Harvard is a bad law school. Someone tell Skadden! Tell Wachtell, before they blow their 100% bonus load on inferior associates!

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Harvard is a bad law school. Someone tell Skadden!

ok what is their phone number i will deliver this important news

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Lykourgos posted:

ok what is their phone number i will deliver this important news

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

okay who should i ask for; are they all under the impression that harvard is tops, or just a select few of them?

EDIT: I just got the secretary that sounded like she was saying "scalding arms"; she insisted it was a law firm tho so I guess it's the right number

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

the last 5 pages of this thread should be printed out and handed to everyone thinking of going to law school with the title "your future classmates!"

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Good loving god, I took a break from this thread for a few months. I peak back in and it's obvious I didn't miss anything. Still the influx of special snowflakes, still the outflow of bitter, broken human beings.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

likewise!

now, where did you say that you were studying again? you have moxie, and that can't be learned! i'd love to chat with you over a drink (or ten) - bourbon, naturally!
emptyquotin dis because you think Jack Daniels is real bourbon :smugdog:

e: not enough :smugdog:

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

emptyquotin dis because you think Jack Daniels is real bourbon :smugdog:

e: not enough :smugdog:

god, don't be so loving annoying.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

I saw on top-law-schools the following mantra: "Go to Valpo, dine on Alpo". Alpo being a dog food, of course.

I got banned from wikipedia for repeatedly putting that into Valpo's page and editwarring with the admissions office to present a more correct picture of the school.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

evilweasel posted:

I got banned from wikipedia for repeatedly putting that into Valpo's page and editwarring with the admissions office to present a more correct picture of the school.
Such antisocial behavior from an Admin? What are we, then, to think?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

haha excellent someone's still carrying the torch: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Valparaiso_University_School_of_Law&action=historysubmit&diff=364512856&oldid=364501796

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I'm writing a cover letter to carpet bomb firms with. How do I say something particular about the firm that interests me when they all have the same practice areas?

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
Is it weird to want to kill oneself when thinking about how many other young people will commence this legal journey in only a few weeks.

i mean, seriously, i feel like i want to vomit when i think about competing with the thousands upon thousands of my peer future-lawyers.

it is like this disgusting wave, filled with tar and bile and tentacles.

bottom-line: i loving HATE every other OL. i want them all to die, so that I will be the only person at this fall's OCI.

i want to die. why can't i loving just die in my sleep from drugs and drinking?

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

quote:

it is like this disgusting wave, filled with tar and bile and tentacles.

And you're part of that wave. An especially wretched, drug-addled, ignorant part of it. If you hate the wave as a 0L, imagine what members of the bar think about you; you know, lawyers, the people who do what you wish you could do. You're like an insignificant child to them, years away from becoming a man of any prospective substance.

quote:

why can't i loving just die in my sleep from drugs and drinking?

You should watch out, that's not an impossibility.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Lykourgos posted:

Bar is over, have fun waiting three months before you know if youre a lawyer or not
3 months?
California doesn't tell you until the end of November.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

NoodleBaby posted:

Factor what into our planning?

And I'd really like to hear what advice you would give my two best friends, both of whom do not have college degrees, probably never will since we are all approaching 30, and are at best making $30,000 a year. What should they factor into their planning?

Factor what into your planning? Here's my message. If you are the pre-kids couple making $120,000 shortly after school, then my message is that $120k per year isn't as much as you think it is. It is a good start, but don't blow it. Don't make yourself house poor by buying a big fancy house, buy a Taurus instead of a Volvo, because you are going to need that money for other things that really sneak up on you as you get older. We avoided most of these mistakes, but our pre-IBR educational debt really, really makes an impact, as did the debt we took on when my wife wasn't working. (I realize that her staying home was stupid from a pure financial point of view, but I would support the same thing again because of the benefit to the family. But that's just me.)

Saddle yourself with as little debt as possible so that you can take advantage of opportunities that may have some risk. Don't lock yourself into being a wage slave just to pay your debt service, if you can avoid it. It really sucks to be chained to your job just to pay your debt. You can't quit, you can't take a risk, you just show up, day after day, and work. Especially after you have been paying for years and years and have years and years to go.

As for your $30k friends, I don't have any wisdom for them. If I am having trouble saving enough to retire, what chance do they have? Hopefully they have some family money coming to them as they age, because otherwise they'll be working until they drop. Or maybe the economy will collapse altogether, and they can thrive in a post-apocolyptic Thunderdome.

I really didn't mean to come off as a whiner. I am in a much better spot than many. I am in a much better spot than many of my law school classmates. I have a comfortable life, and I went into the educational debt with my eyes open. I'm just trying to get people to consider the different sort of financial needs and pressures that become apparent as you age, and maybe plan for those pressures. In light of those, I stand my my original point- $120,000 per year is not as much as you think it is.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Lykourgos posted:

Finished mine. Fortunately I won't have to wait that long. I'm 99% sure I scored well enough to pass.

Not that it matters. Scores don't come out till Nov. 5th for Maryland, and we don't swear in until June....wtf.

Also lol @ completely not studying Secured Transactions or Commercial Paper/Negotiable Instruments, and none of them were on the bar at all. Such a weird essay part of the bar. We covered ....very strange questions. Here's the breakdown:

1. Real Property (recording acts stuff)
2. Crim/Con Law (Right to Speedy Trial, Right to adequate assistance of counsel)
3. Contract/UCC Sales.
4. Evidence
5. Family law
6. Ethics
7. Torts.
8. Corporations/very mildly Contracts.
9. Massive 6 part question covering Ethics, Civ Pro, Torts, and Evidence.
10. Contracts, with a minor Evidence question.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 29, 2010

ewr2870
May 8, 2007

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Really? I know someone who took *exactly* that path (and who is, unlike you, not obviously psychotic) and didn't get a job from EIP (on-campus interviewing).

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Maybe he had but a single major.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

I get the feeling that Izzy is not just great at interviews, but is the greatEST in the world.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

I get the feeling that Izzy will get an incredibly high paying lawyerin' job out of HARVARD (He went to Yale as an undergrad, don't forget (he is capitalized on purpose)) and then die unhappy, most likely in an alochol/drug related incident. That's best case scenario. Law thread. Add him to the op.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

fougera posted:

I'm writing a cover letter to carpet bomb firms with. How do I say something particular about the firm that interests me when they all have the same practice areas?

Find a recent case that the firm has worked and comment positively on it. "I followed with interest your firm's efforts on behalf of DynaMegaCorp to protect the rights of customer-oriented family businesses against the predations of rapacious widows and overreaching regulatory interference"

VVVVVVV
of course you can:

VVVVVVV
e2: [/gum flapping]

joat mon fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 29, 2010

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

you cant carpetbomb firms with a personalized letter

instead try "I followed with interest your firm's efforts on behalf of your client to protect their rights against the predations of the opposing party"

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
earlier in this thread izzy said he was attending a "top 4" law school and i now know what it is to feel true fear in my heart if only for a moment

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Is Izzy the "ROCK AnD ROLL FOREVER" cokehead guy from several months ago?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Feces Starship posted:

earlier in this thread izzy said he was attending a "top 4" law school and i now know what it is to feel true fear in my heart if only for a moment
Top 4 is Yale, Harvard, Stanford and whatever school I got into.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Angry Midwesterner posted:

Is Izzy the "ROCK AnD ROLL FOREVER" cokehead guy from several months ago?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3203215&userid=57070

Yes

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Thank god Izzy is back, this place was getting dull!

Also chiming in to say 120k isn't *awesome* income for 2 people w/ kids (especially when one or both have post graduate degrees).

Edit: I think I might compete with this guy for dope Lawyer/MC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUfzOZIv4V0&fmt=18

Roger_Mudd fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 29, 2010

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Dept. of Education just notified me of all the goddamn debt that I have accumulated to pay for law school. God have mercy. On the plus side, got an orientation schedule and they are clearly training us to be high-functioning alcoholics.

Also, Jack isn't bourbon. It's Tennessee whiskey (sour mash), filtered through maple charcoal before aging.

True story, this is what my Yale 250-word essay was on (not really/or is it?)

Feces Starship posted:

And all of Morningside Heights trembled...

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 29, 2010

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Roger_Mudd posted:

Edit: I think I might compete with this guy for dope Lawyer/MC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUfzOZIv4V0&fmt=18

Rhyme of the fuckin century right here:

RAIN FALLS HARD
AND GETS YOU ALL WET
THE ROAD GETS SLICK
DON'T BELIEME
BET

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jew Bear
Jan 4, 2008

Jewy goodness
My friend's hubby just transferred from Valpo to Indiana University School of Law – Indianapolis (incoming 2L). From this thread, I gather that either means he's not totally boned or he'll be making $14/hr as a Costco clerk rather than $10/hr as a barista.

Also, how boned are you if you don't intern anywhere between 1L and 2L?