Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Some scans of the recently received Kodachrome:

Near Castle Stalker

Glen Coe in the Highlands

Spedman fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jul 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Oh man, I just got back some 645 E100 that I sht this Sunday. They're just beautiful. I can't wait to scan them in. I'm a huge B&W whore, but when the shot is right for color, Ektachrome in medium format is just amazing.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Spedman posted:

Some scans of the recently received Kodachrome:

Near Castle Stalker

Glen Coe in the Highlands

These are beautiful. The underexposure really seems to work for the first one.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I got the "Betterscanning" holder for my Epson V500 last week and tried it out on some older negatives of mine. It is definitely better than the supplied holders.

I also got my Rolleiflex back from the repairman this weekend and took it out shooting. I developed my negatives today and got all set to scan them in and.... my scanner is dead. Normally when you start it up, it goes through some diagnostics, fires up the lights etc... but now, it does nothing at all. No amount of plugging/unplugging, swearing, re-starting and pounding can get it to react. So I guess I'm in the market for a new scanner. I'd like to get a better one but now I have invested in the holder and the Silverfast software for this one. I guess I can sell the holder to somebody if I get a different model. :smith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there something about the holder that is V500 specific? I guess the focusing distance maybe?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Is there something about the holder that is V500 specific? I guess the focusing distance maybe?

I think it has to do with the positioning/size of the transparency scanning area, they've got the variable-height model after all.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Good point. Though I'd bet it's probably usable across scanners as long as you can position it below the light and above the sensor :v:

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Martytoof posted:

Good point. Though I'd bet it's probably usable across scanners as long as you can position it below the light and above the sensor :v:

Yeah it might work if the holder will still fit on the new scanner and the glass area will line up.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

annnd my V500 has been in the shop for over a month because the sensor head is on back order. i've stopped shooting film all together and realize that my nights are a lot more free now that I don't have to scan poo poo v :) v

My Cakes are LOL
Jan 14, 2008

How could the devil turn the blue sky black?
How many babies born will ever reach their dreams?
And how could a person call another person wack?
Sorry to interrupt the discussion and awesome pictures, but I'm going to go ahead and newb you guys out for a minute.

I have no film camera, no experience with film, and no equipment. I shoot digital and always have. That said, if I wanted to try out film, where would you recommend that I start, and what would I need to buy/do? How much of an investment would I need to make?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

My Cakes are LOL posted:

Sorry to interrupt the discussion and awesome pictures, but I'm going to go ahead and newb you guys out for a minute.

I have no film camera, no experience with film, and no equipment. I shoot digital and always have. That said, if I wanted to try out film, where would you recommend that I start, and what would I need to buy/do? How much of an investment would I need to make?

Least commitment - borrow an old 35mm SLR from someone (you can probably dig up something through friends/family) and shoot some regular color print film, have it developed and scanned at the drugstore or whatever. If you can't find one, you can buy an older SLR on eBay with a lens or two for under $100. A 50mm prime is the most standard, boilerplate lens.

More committed - develop your own black and white film at home. The process is pretty easy and the chemicals aren't that bad. Cost will depend - a lot of time you can pick up whole darkroom setups for next to nothing locally, otherwise you might have to buy everything online which could add up a bit. We're still not talking a ton of money though: Probably $100-150, tops, assuming you're in the US. Getting them online is tricky - the scanner at my local CVS can't handle real B&W film, which is what pushed me over the edge to buying my own scanner. You can get a decent used one for $100-200, take pictures of your negs with your digital camera and invert them (generally crappy quality), or send stuff out to a more professional lab to be scanned, which will add up.

Most Committed - Build a 20x24 camera and film holders, pay upwards of $10k an order to get color film for it on special order from Kodak, travel the country by car taking photos. Learn the Zone system, how to make C-prints, platinum/palladium printing, daguerreotyping/wet plate collodion, and set up a permanent darkroom for analog printing. Die of chemical poisoning.

guidoanselmi posted:

annnd my V500 has been in the shop for over a month because the sensor head is on back order. i've stopped shooting film all together and realize that my nights are a lot more free now that I don't have to scan poo poo v :) v

Haha, gently caress that. How much are they charging for the repair? Another scanner should only be like $125-150...

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

it's at least under warranty...so free but christ

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I got into film with probably a $60 investment. A Pentax ME with a 28mm lens. Really too wide as an only-lens, but better than nothing. You can pick up old Canon FD lenses for a steal, and the bodies aren't that shabby either.

What do you shoot digitally? If it's Canon, maybe pick up a newer Rebel body, and if you shoot Nikon then I think you have a wide wide selection of bodies you can choose and still repurpose your digital lenses. Pentax digital cameras all take the K-mount that most used Pentax film bodies do (though if you go old enough you'll find camera with a bayonet mount instead).

edit: Er, I'm assuming you shoot DSLR and not a P&S. If you shoot with a P&S then all that goes out the window and just buy whatever brand you like.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

RustedChrome posted:

Yeah it might work if the holder will still fit on the new scanner and the glass area will line up.

The same betterscanning holder works for the V500 & V600.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Die of chemical poisoning.

Sepia toner is made with potassium fericyanide. I wonder what happens if your tap water is a bit too acidic :smith:

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
I finally got my Duaflex working with lots of respooled film :woop: Thanks for all your help.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Hm, £15-18 / roll for in date Kodachrome, or $7.95/roll for expired in 2007 stuff...

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Hm, £15-18 / roll for in date Kodachrome, or $7.95/roll for expired in 2007 stuff...

The scans you see above were from the 2007 vintage, and I only purchased them earlier this year, I would go that one and get more rolls of it.

Spedman fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jul 28, 2010

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Martytoof posted:

These are beautiful. The underexposure really seems to work for the first one.

Thanks, I've fixed the landscape shot, the scan was far too dark, just needed a fill light lift.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I got an assload of 70's to 90's 35mm equipment that I need to sell (doing it for a friend, getting 60% of the sales).
The stuff was owned by a crazy doctor who's in a nursing home right now. Every single lens, camera, filter and other accessories (winders, grips, etc) is completely untouched. They're all wrapped in plastic from the factory. It's insane.

There's just one camera and lens that were ever used, and it's got a roll of film with 4 shots on it.

30 total lenses, 5 cameras and lots of misc

Lenses on the right, cameras in the middle and accessories on the left.

Example of the type of crazy I'm dealing with here.

The black display style box facing the wrong direction is a Ricoh. One on the right is a Contax 167.

So, where the gently caress do I start with this? I'm working on getting a list of the details of all the lenses and cameras. Should I go for specific photography forums, sell it on ebay, do one big bulk sell or just curl up and cry?

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 28, 2010

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The easiest route would be to send it all to KEH, but you probably wouldn't get top dollar from them.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Hypnolobster posted:

I got an assload of 70's to 90's 35mm equipment that I need to sell (doing it for a friend, getting 60% of the sales).
The stuff was owned by a crazy doctor who's in a nursing home right now. Every single lens, camera, filter and other accessories (winders, grips, etc) is completely untouched. They're all wrapped in plastic from the factory. It's insane.

There's just one camera and lens that were ever used, and it's got a roll of film with 4 shots on it.

30 total lenses, 5 cameras and lots of misc

So, where the gently caress do I start with this? I'm working on getting a list of the details of all the lenses and cameras. Should I go for specific photography forums, sell it on ebay, do one big bulk sell or just curl up and cry?

Lmao, the weird thing is that none of that stuff looks to be top shelf/collectible, yet as you said, it looks to have been intentionally kept in museum condition :iiam:

I would try APUG first, then possible RFF and/or FredMiranda. Not sure how worthwhile eBay would be, takes a while to make a listing and their fees suck.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

He's a weird dude. I helped move about 300 boxes of books into a storage unit. He's barely aware that he's even in a nursing home and can't recognize anyone, but he can ask for a specific book by the edition, and know his reasoning. He'll have 5 editions of a book on brain pathology and ask for edition 3 because in chapter 19, they still have a paragraph that they took out of the later editions.

I plan on keeping one or two of the lenses if it turns out that I can adapt them to my Canon. I've been stuck with very boring glass because I can't afford anything. A nice landscape or macro lens would be wonderful (and there are several in here), I just need to figure out which, if any, are usable. With either of those, AF would be pretty irrelevant, but I don't know how metering would work if any will fit.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Hypnolobster posted:

I would get the list together and give KEH a call. See what they tell you for buying the whole lot. I'm not really sure how that works, but it's probably the easiest way to get rid of it -- if they even accept it. They might not want some of the third-party crap. Find out what they will pay you, run it by your buddy to see if he's cool with that, and just get rid of it.

Selling each piece individually will net you more cash, but it will be a time-consuming process assuming you do it right (with good descriptions, good photos showing the condition, etc). Otherwise, you might want to cherry pick the really nice things and sell those individually -- get as much as you can for them, and off-load the rest somewhere else.

fartzilla
Dec 30, 2009

how disgusting
Slight topic shift, but I was wondering if anyone has any books, Web sites, or any other resources that they can recommend relating to film camera repair for beginners. The whole topic seems almost impenetrable to me and of the two books I could find on Amazon, neither looked very useful.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

take inventory and post it here :pervert:

SandBox
Feb 16, 2004

Too right it does, it hates being in the cage
Pillbug

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I finally got my Duaflex working with lots of respooled film :woop: Thanks for all your help.

Nice! Keen to see the results :)

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

guidoanselmi posted:

take inventory and post it here :pervert:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Too bad most of the listed cameras have that weird 80s "we discovered how to make stuff out of plastic!" look :(

MIRV Griffin
Jul 31, 2009
...FD lenses?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

MIRV Griffin posted:

...FD lenses?

Yeeeeees?

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I'm itching to get my delivery of 20 rolls of Reala (for £1.50 each, score).

Has anybody used an XA and an XA2? What are the major differences? Ideally I'd get an XA for the faster lens, but it's looking like price-wise, I'll probably be getting an XA2.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Has anybody used an XA and an XA2? What are the major differences? Ideally I'd get an XA for the faster lens, but it's looking like price-wise, I'll probably be getting an XA2.

I've used the XA. It's not just the lens; the XA also has a coupled rangefinder, and aperture priority shooting. It's more for people who want the controls of a more sophisticated camera, but that can fit easily in a pocket. The XA2 is full-auto and scale focus, more of a true point-and-shoot. I liked my XA's, but one of them had the shutter go bad and another had some crap fall in the advance mechanism and jam it in the middle of my only roll of Kodachrome 25 on a trip. I got the latter one fixed, but wound up selling it to buy a Bessa (bigger rangefinder with interchangeable lenses). If you send it to a tech, you can get the meter re-calibrated to give a more useful ISO 50-1600 range. Here are some of the shots I took with mine.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I have both. The XA is faster and has true focusing. The XA2 basically has 3 zones, Closeup, Normal and Landscape, and that's all you need to adjust other than setting the ISO of your film.

The XA2 is very sharp when you have enough light. It's great for just walking around and shooting from the hip. If you plan to shoot in poor light or if you want any kind of nice DoF effects, get the XA instead.

I paid $23 for my XA2 and about $30 for my XA, both with flash units, so it's not like they are breaking the bank.

Click here for the full 1024x757 image.

RustedChrome fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 31, 2010

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
I just got my slides back. I'm really happy with how these turned out from the look of things! I overexposed a little bit on a few shots (and underexposed on one or two) because I'm still getting used to the center-weighted meter. On several shots I was using the Auto (aperture priority) switch and it may have opted to overexpose instead of underexpose, but it doesn't look too bad. I'm really excited to get these scanned and see them on a big screen! Should be another week or two. :(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

What do you shoot on again?

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
FE2

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!
I am looking for a good way to get my film images on to my computer and it seems that a scanner that handles negatives would be a good investment.

It looks like flatbed is the way to go, for flexibility and price.

Is this correct and can anyone recommend a good scanner for 35mm and possibly medium format negatives?

I've been looking at the Epson V300 and V500, the V700 is probably more than I'd be willing to pay I think.

Thanks.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

EvilRic posted:

I am looking for a good way to get my film images on to my computer and it seems that a scanner that handles negatives would be a good investment.

It looks like flatbed is the way to go, for flexibility and price.

Is this correct and can anyone recommend a good scanner for 35mm and possibly medium format negatives?

I've been looking at the Epson V300 and V500, the V700 is probably more than I'd be willing to pay I think.

Thanks.

Yeah, the 700/750 are overkill if you're not scanning large format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I have a box full of expired superia 110 that I'd like to use. Trouble is, nobody seems to be processing 110 anymore. While there are a couple of places on the internet that still process and print 110, I'm wondering if I can process them with B&W chemicals.

I've read you can cross process C-41 in B&W chems, but I've never done any darkroom work at all so I don't know if there's an equipment limitation for handling the film itself.