Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

Piranha reviewed, with requisite boobies.

Haha! I saw the review when it was posted and there was the boobies capture, it now appears to be missing entirely. It was just, bam titties!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Safe Driver posted:

Haha! I saw the review when it was posted and there was the boobies capture, it now appears to be missing entirely. It was just, bam titties!
Thank God it's still on the server! http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews51/piranha_blu-ray_/large/large_piranha_blu-ray_8.jpg

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Black Orpheus reviewed
Charlie's Angels reviewed

How to Train Your Dragon 10/15

October :supaburn:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Safe Driver posted:

thank god for the remake

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

doctor thodt posted:

How to Train Your Dragon 10/15

October :supaburn:

I still haven't seen this movie and I really want to.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
James and the Giant Peach contains trailers for Disney's Alice in Wonderland and The Lion King, both apparently due next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6zLiz9gyR8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTYmRDr5wzc

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I said come in! posted:

I still haven't seen this movie and I really want to.

Same here, really glad they're following the "get that poo poo into retailers ASAP" model rather than sitting on it. I heard such good things about it, but the nearest theater is an hour away. gently caress the middle of nowhere.

Edit: Also I have recently rediscovered that I really love Disney movies :gay: So I guess I'm about to be out a lot of money, once I make some money, somehow, to afford a bunch of Disney movies on BD.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Agreed posted:

Same here, really glad they're following the "get that poo poo into retailers ASAP" model rather than sitting on it. I heard such good things about it, but the nearest theater is an hour away. gently caress the middle of nowhere.

Edit: Also I have recently rediscovered that I really love Disney movies :gay: So I guess I'm about to be out a lot of money, once I make some money, somehow, to afford a bunch of Disney movies on BD.

A few of my friends make fun of me for buying Disney movies. I partially explain it off as 'when I have kids I will want to have these, and with the Disney Vault it is better to just suck it up and get them now than wait', but I am also a sucker for animation in HD and Disney has been doing their restores really drat well.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Lion King :dance:

Also for anyone that's a masochist, V Season 1 is out on 11/2

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Definitely feeling very :hellyeah: about The Lion King, as long as they go the way of the special edition DVD and give me a way to watch the theatrical version without that absolutely abysmal extra song.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Today's Amazon Gold Box deal is some sweet BBC nature Blu-ray goodness for $69.99, including Planet Earth:

http://www.amazon.com/Definition-Natural-History-Collection-Galapagos/dp/B0019MG35O/XK3Q74659

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Official Lionsgate press release says Apocalypse Now is indeed in its OAR of 2.35:1 :woop:

Pre-order:
2-disc set
3-disc set

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
:toot: Fuuuuuck yes!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

doctor thodt posted:

Official Lionsgate press release says Apocalypse Now is indeed in its OAR of 2.35:1 :woop:

Pre-order:
2-disc set
3-disc set
This is my favorite movie. I can't wait. Would like that 3-disc set to come down a bit though :)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

doctor thodt posted:

I love this movie. I can't wait for the blu-ray.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The 2:1 cropping made sense on laserdisc and even DVD to squeeze out a bit more resolution, but BluRay makes these compromises a moot point.

The big plus to look forward to is the sound. DTS-HD MA is what, 3-4 mbs?

edit: The PR also mentions The Conversation is next in line. :woop:

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 29, 2010

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

doctor thodt posted:

Awesome. Now the only thing we need is for Criterion to re-release The Last Emperor in 2.35:1 and offer a replacement program, than everything will be right in the world.

Egbert Souse posted:

edit: The PR also mentions The Conversation is next in line. :woop:

Wow, I always thought that was a Paramount movie (and that it would take years for it to get released on Blu).

Good day today.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sporadic posted:

Awesome. Now the only thing we need is for Criterion to re-release The Last Emperor in 2.35:1 and offer a replacement program, than everything will be right in the world.

Storaro apparently shot The Last Emperor with cropping in mind, unlike Apocalypse Now. The BluRay looks amazing and the framing never looked "off", but I might be wrong.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Bridge on the River Kwai has an Amazon pre-order page. No date yet, but an announcement should be soon in the coming.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 29, 2010

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Egbert Souse posted:

Storaro apparently shot The Last Emperor with cropping in mind, unlike Apocalypse Now. The BluRay looks amazing and the framing never looked "off", but I might be wrong.

The 2.35 Gaumont shots on DVDBeaver look a lot better to me in terms of shot composition. It's a pity, because the Blu-Ray is quite an improvement in all other areas.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare/lastemperor.htm

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 29, 2010

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Are there any plans to bring Empire of the Sun to blu-ray?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
City of God reviewed

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Dunno if anyone's been keeping up with Masters of Cinema lately, but this is their lineup for the next couple of months:

August 2

August 23

September

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Bambi posted:

I'll probably be blindbuying some of these Masters of Cinemas like I've done in the past, to much happiness (I had the cheap instant collection deal they were doing before) and wanted to point out that quite funnily, the thing that dates this cover most has to be the newest piece of technology on it, the mobile phone.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I love the Sphinx poking over her neck.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Bambi posted:

YES. I've been trying to remember the name of this movie for months! I remember it being pretty funny and have been wanting to re-watch it to verify.

And Tony Randall's expression is more disturbing than Vengeance is Mine's cover.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The World is not that great, I wouldn't recommend a blind buy of it.

I haven't seen Rock Hunter, but it's in my queue. I'm very interested in Tashlin because Artists and Models is hands down the greatest Lewis & Martin flick.

All the others are really good. I still can't bring myself to import, though some of those are very tempting.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bambi posted:

I really like this cover and now I want to see this.

SMP
May 5, 2009

doctor thodt posted:

City of God reviewed

:woop: This is gonna be a day one buy for me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I said come in! posted:

I really like this cover and now I want to see this.

you're kidding, right, that's one of the most hilariously bad covers I've seen other than the ones on Redbox machines

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SMP posted:

:woop: This is gonna be a day one buy for me.

It's already out :) Though it seems to be out of stock everywhere...

http://www.amazon.ca/city-of-god-Blu-ray/dp/B003H9LIUM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1280452326&sr=8-4
http://www.axelmusic.com/productDetails/065935837794

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

MoC, you magnificent bastards! I just got Make Way for Tomorrow with the certainty it wouldn't hit BluRay in at least 20 years.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
In 20 years movies will be beamed directly into our consciousness

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Fag Boy Jim posted:

you're kidding, right, that's one of the most hilariously bad covers I've seen other than the ones on Redbox machines

The cover is not as messy and confused and jumbled as the movie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4929

Confirmation of 2.35:1 on Apocalypse Now, plus Hearts of Darkness is remastered and 1080p.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Road to Perdition reviewed

The Last of the Mohicans has been officially announced for October 5

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
FYI, region coding on the MoC titles is as follows:

Region B-locked
The Burmese Harp
Fantastic Planet
Vengeance is Mine

Region Free
The World

Unknown (they were just announced today)
Make Way For Tomorrow
Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?

Fun fact: The Masters of Cinema division at Eureka Entertainment consists of a whopping 3 employees. Really makes you admire the fact that they can release 4 Blu-Rays in a single month.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Egbert Souse posted:

I like how New World/Shout Factory and Troma are putting the majors to shame with their remasters. Not demo material, but they simply leave the source alone. It's so simple.

I watched the new version of Predator.

It looked like A Scanner Darkly.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
James and the Giant Peach reviewed (ouch :()
Rambo (Extended Cut) reviewed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Those new Rambo scenes don't sound that terribly interesting. But I really like that movie and haven't seen it on blu-ray for some reason. A goon did the CGI effects for it too. :)

• Locked thread