Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Sniep posted:

Same thing here in Denver, there was quite a bit of traffic comparatively in OK when i was there, here in CO however other than a few weekly traffic nets that are over as soon as they start, and nobody hangs out afterwords, there is silence pretty much on all the repeaters. It sucks.

I just moved to the Springs. As soon as I have a transceiver, you'll have a hamgoon to chat with on the repeaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

dv6speed posted:

So what is the best procedure to go about tuning a dipole? I got all my poo poo to put up a loving huge dipole tommrow, including an SWR meter

Do I make it a little bit long and shorten it as necessary? How do you know which side of the dipole to shorten? Any other tips/advice/methodology?

Make it a bit long and trim both ends equally. You want both ends of the dipole to be of equal length. Generally what I'll do is:

1. Get the approximate length using the generic formula and mark the far ends with a marker. I'll then add another foot or two so I can have enough to wrap around the end insulators and make my connections.

2. Strip the wire from the marked point to the ends, mark it again on the bare wire, then strip another inch or two from the marking.

3. Make a loop of the excess wire and temporarily connect the end of the wire to the mark I made. Check SWR and move your end point connections to get the best reading you can and mark it again.

4. Trim the excess end wire leaving enough to wrap around the end insulators, wrap them, and solder the wire ends in place at the correct point. Heat shrink or otherwise seal the ends and hang.

As far as advice goes, just get it as high as possible and make sure you hang it in the correct position for what you want to receive. Dipoles transmit and receive broadside so you want to make sure the ends are opposite of what you want to catch, i.e.: if you want to receive transmissions from the West and East, hang your antenna with the end points heading North and South.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rev Quackers
Oct 28, 2007

Wait, are those Pineapple Margaritas?!? Ducks FUCKING LOVE Margaritas! They're practicality our favorite things ever!

Catastrophe posted:

So this is my first Friday living in Portland and I have some concerns. Are all the ham bands totally dead this weekend for some weird reason or is the pacific northwest just a dead zone compared to the jam-packed east coast where I used to live? I hope this move didn't kill my new hobby if there are no operators out here.

I guess the only thing you can do now is EME or HF......I am sooooo tempted to get into EME

starsoldier
Jun 21, 2009

Your music's bad and you should feel bad!
Hooray, passed my upgrade to General today. Now I just need to look at getting an HF radio. Any suggestions that would be good for a beginner?

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

So, my dad decided a couple years ago that he wanted a ham radio. Since I'm working on a computer engineering degree I happened to have enough background to vaguely have some idea of what I was doing. I sat down and looked at the test stuff and before too long got my Extra license. Then we purchased a Ten-Tec Omni VII and a 43' vertical. Since I don't live at home, I hooked up an old laptop so I could skype in and use the radio when I felt like it. My dad then worked on and got his Extra.

Now, we've both basically given up on this radio. I feel like it's a shame since a fair amount of effort went into training, getting the stuff, running coax, etc. I think my dad doesn't quite have the time to learn how to do everything while I tend to just forget it's there.

What's some cool stuff that you can do with HF? I think I've made something like a grand total of 5 contacts so far. I've played around with receiving PSK and SSTV but haven't made any contacts there. Should I have stuck with something more mobile/UHF/VHF instead? I think the significant lack of sunspots isn't helping anything. I was so interested in this for a bit after I got my license and then pretty much forgot why like basically every goon project ever.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Hey Markov Chain Chomp, saw you in the amateur astronomy thread. Is 100W enough for trying moon bounce on 15 and 6 meters? You'll probably need a high power amplifier to do it reliably, right? Most EME seems to go on UHF and microwave though.

e: Here's a link suggesting that 750 W should be enough for moon bounce on 6M:
http://web.jzap.com/k7rat/sixeme.html

e: Heh, 100 W is maximum on 6 meters here in Norway. To run 1000 W, we'd have to use 15 meters. You lucky extras in the US can run 1500 W on 6 meters.

Vir fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 25, 2010

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I need to get to work on my HF radio. I was gifted a ts-520s but it had a problem with it. I investigated and just recently discovered an open connection in the function switch. There's a wire that should be connected but one end of it is swinging free. :/ I intend on making a 40m dipole when I get that fixed so I can play on 40m at least. I guess those are usually resonant on 15m as well.

I wish ssb radios for 2m/440 weren't so expensive. I've missed out on a couple recently. One was a 706 with bad HF finals but it worked fine on 2 meters and also to receive HF. $200, I emailed the guy as soon as I saw it pop up and he emailed me back 4hrs later to tell me it sold already.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

BigHustle posted:

3. Make a loop of the excess wire and temporarily connect the end of the wire to the mark I made. Check SWR and move your end point connections to get the best reading you can and mark it again.
So, am I to assume you are doing step 3 on the ground? Doesn't that change the SWR measurement from what it'll be in the air, or is that not big enough to make a difference?

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

dv6speed posted:

So, am I to assume you are doing step 3 on the ground? Doesn't that change the SWR measurement from what it'll be in the air, or is that not big enough to make a difference?

Yeah, step 3 I do on the ground. It's a lot easier than making the connections, hoisting the thing up into the air, testing, pulling it down, making minute changes, repeat. As long as you aren't spreading it out over something that will short the wire to ground and use the same coax/ladder line run you're using to connect to your shack, you should be A-OK.

Jacob
Jul 14, 2002
I've been playing around with calculating RF exposures, in preparation for setting up a HF antenna. I think I'm doing something wrong, because my math shows that even my 5w HT is out of compliance.

I'm really confused. Is this really the case?

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

BigHustle posted:

As long as you aren't spreading it out over something that will short the wire to ground
So I can just lay it down on my driveway (blacktop) to tune it? Awesome!

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

dv6speed posted:

So I can just lay it down on my driveway (blacktop) to tune it? Awesome!

Just keep it out of puddles and poo poo and you should be good to go. Oh, also keep people away from it while you're tuning it up. I'm sure your power will be set low, but there's no reason to risk anyone getting RF burns.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I think you're suppose to have it 1/4 wave above ground for the best results. I don't know if that affects your swr or not though.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Nullsmack posted:

I think you're suppose to have it 1/4 wave above ground for the best results.
Ideally a dipole should be at least 1/2 wavelength above ground. 1/4 is generally considered the minimum to not be a complete cloud burner.

Nullsmack posted:

I don't know if that affects your swr or not though.
It definitely affects SWR; any object near an antenna will affect the point of resonance.

teejayh
Feb 12, 2003
A real bastard
Anyone got a good recommendation on a good mobile unit I can throw in a truck. It would be nice for it to scan quickly, and maybe do crossband repeat. I've seen the new yaesu has a rig that can do it, and I think kenwood makes a good one, but something without the brand loyalty dip shits on eham.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Checking in to the thread, still temporarily QRT and just waiting for the wedding.

After sept. 18th I have been given FULL LICENSE to put whatever wire/antennas I want up. I just gotta keep the yard pretty for the wedding weekend.

Current plan is 4x35 foot pressure treated masts, one at each corner of the back yard, for a horizontal loop. I won't be able to get much more height than that, but I think that will be a pretty good shadetree setup for HF considering I only want to goof with digital pretty much.

Plus I'll have three verticals -

one elevated, switchable for 15/10m
one elevated, switchable for 17/20m
one ground mount with buried radials, switchable for 30/40m

Basically I'm just going to set up each antenna with a remote powered relay at the base of each one that switches a simple coil in and out of line. They'll be tuned up to be 1/4 wave at the higher band "naturally", then I will flip the relay on and adjust the coil so they resonate at the lower band. It's not perfect, but it'll do.

Keep the hobby alive for a few more months till I can get back into it, eh?

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Oh boy.

Looking through my stuff again, I decided to finally stop putting it off and go for my Technician license, and the local club is having examinations Sunday. Borrowed a few books from the library to help refresh my memory, and took a few sample Technician exams- passed them, luckily. (Failed the General horribly, so I'll probably leave that for another time [edit: or just take the remaining five days to study for that and neglect the Technician stuff I already know].) Luck willing I'll be able to get a 2m or 70cm handheld or something before I head out to Yellowstone on vacation (drat the lack of internet there).

So, is there anything I should keep in mind with the testing that I appear to be missing horribly?

E4C85D38 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 3, 2010

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Do these over and over.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The "no nonsense" study guides are great if you are doing the "memorize the answer" method. Worked for me but I didn't learn anything. Now that I'm trying to do a bit more than jabberjaw with some of the local repeater crews, it has become obvious that I need to actually learn.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Partycat posted:

The "no nonsense" study guides are great if you are doing the "memorize the answer" method. Worked for me but I didn't learn anything. Now that I'm trying to do a bit more than jabberjaw with some of the local repeater crews, it has become obvious that I need to actually learn.

Yeah. I used an iPhone app to teach me all of the answers and passed the test with 100% but then got home after that and realized I had no idea what I was doing. It took more research, reading, and listening on the air to figure things out.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
My argument is it's best to learn by doing, and you can't do until you pass the test.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

I think I understand the Technician stuff fairly well, seeing I've been studying it for... a while. The General stuff, not so much, but I'll get to that when I actually start HF work. Which would probably be a while.

As long as I know enough not to give me fatal electric shocks / RF burns / burn down the block I think I'll be good.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Grilldos posted:

My argument is it's best to learn by doing, and you can't do until you pass the test.

recon_etc posted:

As long as I know enough not to give me fatal electric shocks / RF burns / burn down the block I think I'll be good.

This is the reason for the knowledge testing. Even though really learning this stuff takes practice, there needs to be at least a base level of knowledge to prevent death and property damage. I know I've learned more from listening that I did from the books.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

BigHustle posted:

This is the reason for the knowledge testing. Even though really learning this stuff takes practice, there needs to be at least a base level of knowledge to prevent death and property damage. I know I've learned more from listening that I did from the books.

Just because I said "learn by doing" that doesn't mean I am going to put myself in any position where I can electrocute myself or someone else. Then again I actually know a thing or two about electronics.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Grilldos posted:

Just because I said "learn by doing" that doesn't mean I am going to put myself in any position where I can electrocute myself or someone else. Then again I actually know a thing or two about electronics.

I wasn't directing that statement at you, I apologize if it seemed that way. My statement was for people in general, like David Hahn, the idiot who tried to build a breeder reactor in his mom's backyard or the family of hams (Hamily?) that died when the antenna they were erecting fell on some power lines. A lot of people hear 'radio antenna' and think about the metal whips on pocket radios. I had to explain to my dad why 'just hanging an antenna in my room' was a bad idea when it came to setting up my HF rig.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
This is just reminding me that Hamsexy hasn't been updated in a while.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

BigHustle posted:

As requested in IRC chat...

We have a ham who gets liquored up and hits the statewide linked repeater system every other night, only to be trolled incessantly by a handful of operators. Here's a brief glimpse of ham radio at it's finest.

A few things about Ralph (WAD):

- In order to make sure he complies with the 10 minute rule, he'll ID his station with virtually every transmission, sometimes 2 or 3 times per transmission.
- He usually plays traffic cop, although tonight he didn't get the chance.
- He can never remember call signs and makes up a nickname for people, as you'll soon hear.

- WAD kicks in at 0:46. The others using the call sign are just mocking him. It builds to a crescendo around 4:30, then kind of peters out since he starts to lose fine motor control and his transmissions get spotty. I hopped in around 5:30 to poke him with a stick, but then he left.

- Usually the trolls stop once Ralph leaves. Tonight, not so much. Right before recording started, the troll said 'rear end' twice. This one stops being interesting around 1:30, but I don't have an audio editor on this computer to cut it out.

- The troll one more time with a commentary on the FCC, the future of ham radio, and hams themselves. This one dies off at 1:10.

Oh yes, always fun in Dirty Jersey.

Oh God, I heard this guy on 10m last night, babbling on 28.400. I thought he was just some freebanding Cb'er with a made-up or stolen callsign.
Sorry for quoting an old post by the way.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 8, 2010

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

MullardEL34 posted:

Oh God, I heard this guy on 10m last night, babbling on 28.400. I thought he was just some freebanding Cb'er with a made-up or stolen callsign.
Sorry for quoting an old post by the way.

Kinda makes me wanna check in on the old repeater system using EchoLink to see if I can catch dear old Ralphie again.

I got a 250 foot tower with a Hustler on it... and it sounds... PRETTY GOOD. Hah?

Prince of Dicks
Sep 9, 2003

eat shit sexhavers
I just moved, how do I update my address?

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Prince of Dicks posted:

I just moved, how do I update my address?

Use the Universal Licensing System with the instructions on this page.

Also, just passed elements two and three and the General license is in the mail.

gently caress yes. :toot:

Th_
Nov 29, 2008

recon_etc posted:

Use the Universal Licensing System with the instructions on this page.

Also, just passed elements two and three and the General license is in the mail.

gently caress yes. :toot:

Congrats on the license!

I used the very same procedure a few weeks ago, it's pretty painless and it takes much less time than the vanity program.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

BigHustle posted:

Kinda makes me wanna check in on the old repeater system using EchoLink to see if I can catch dear old Ralphie again.

I got a 250 foot tower with a Hustler on it... and it sounds... PRETTY GOOD. Hah?

I picked him up here in northeast Ohio with my really lovely ten meter rig, which consists of a Radio Shack HTX 10, a dipole strung about 15 feet up in a tree, and a motorcycle battery "Power Supply."

Moved up to 28.410 and made a few contacts along the eastern seaboard. I love sporadic E season. Makes my 10 watt transceiver and less than ideal antenna system not matter so much.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
I recieved word Yaesu billed my "customer's" credit card for my new VX6-R (that I'm getting in exchange for a job I did), so that means it has shipped, and I'll be getting it ANY DAY this week. I can't stand the anticipation.

Also I'm taking the tests for general and extra this Saturday. I'm 100% confident I'll pass the general. The extra will be a tossup... I ran out of time and haven't even touched any of the material until today.

I've been experimenting a bit with 11 meter band antennas. I've learned alot of useful stuff. I've also learned I need to get myself an MFJ-269 to do what I want to do when it comes to antennas.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

dv6speed posted:

I recieved word Yaesu billed my "customer's" credit card for my new VX6-R (that I'm getting in exchange for a job I did), so that means it has shipped, and I'll be getting it ANY DAY this week. I can't stand the anticipation.

Also I'm taking the tests for general and extra this Saturday. I'm 100% confident I'll pass the general. The extra will be a tossup... I ran out of time and haven't even touched any of the material until today.

I've been experimenting a bit with 11 meter band antennas. I've learned alot of useful stuff. I've also learned I need to get myself an MFJ-269 to do what I want to do when it comes to antennas.

I haven't touched the Extra book for a while either. There's a ham group in town that does testing every week, but I just haven't been able to get my study on lately.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

BigHustle posted:

I haven't touched the Extra book for a while either. There's a ham group in town that does testing every week, but I just haven't been able to get my study on lately.
drat? Every week? It's 6 weeks in between sessions here.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

dv6speed posted:

drat? Every week? It's 6 weeks in between sessions here.

Yeah. They take up a meeting room at the local library every Tuesday. I don't know if it's strictly for testing or if they do other poo poo there too.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
My old boring callsign is dead. I have been reborn as KA8ONG.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Grilldos posted:

My old boring callsign is dead. I have been reborn as KA8ONG.

Can I call you Quickdraw instead?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

BigHustle posted:

Can I call you Quickdraw instead?
Can I call you Franklin instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cvisors
Sep 24, 2003
Carnage Visors
Sugartime Jones
Well moved to a new house, and now finally have some antennas up.

Currently using inverted V dipoles for 80 and 40. And a folded dipole (that I'm still setting up) on 20.

Some of my other plans are, to build a wire beam for 20 metres, and a few other bits and pieces.

All good fun.