Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I don't know how sustainable it would be over the long run, but it would be neat and web sites/blogs that are international tend to carry more weight than purely local ones. I think where you may run into difficulty is that without a central authority figure to mediate, there may be conflicts over access to the more popular shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Are there really a whole bunch of people who could contribute all hailing from one city? I know there's two or three people from Sydney, but I can't recall anyone else from Brisbane.

I'd definitely be down for it.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

I, Butthole posted:

Are there really a whole bunch of people who could contribute all hailing from one city? I know there's two or three people from Sydney, but I can't recall anyone else from Brisbane.

It's not a "One city" thing, it's a "We have ears in every corner of the world so you don't have to" type of deal.

As for a central authority, I dunno, maybe Rock City if he wants to be a part of it? He has the most experience, and as long as only one person has access to the email address, it ensures that everyone has to pitch in and "pay their dues" before they can use the sites name to get into a "big show" they want to shoot. As for updating, we could just use something like Tumblr with a URL pointed at it for easy updating, or use the tumblr API to post it on a website with custom design and such.

The big question does kind of come down to "How do you decide who gets to shoot the big shows?" That I don't know. I'm thinking some of the really big bands get hundreds of Photo requests a day, realistically our blog would get shuffled away in the mess, and if there's only say 10-15 people that are on-board, the odds of everyone wanting to (and being able) to shoot the same tours is probably not gonna happen very often. Add in the fact that some places will be different legs of the tour with different bands to reach out too, and a PR company will have forgotten we shot their band 3 months ago; or they'll remember and not give a poo poo because of the time that passed, maybe even more so if someone steps up and interviews them.

I think our only real problem would come down to big tours that span a poo poo-load of dates and hit every major geographical area (The Warped Tour is probably gonna be tricky, but again, they get so many requests 10 of them would probably just get lost in the mess).

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

AtomicManiac posted:

It's not a "One city" thing, it's a "We have ears in every corner of the world so you don't have to" type of deal.

As for a central authority, I dunno, maybe Rock City if he wants to be a part of it? He has the most experience, and as long as only one person has access to the email address, it ensures that everyone has to pitch in and "pay their dues" before they can use the sites name to get into a "big show" they want to shoot. As for updating, we could just use something like Tumblr with a URL pointed at it for easy updating, or use the tumblr API to post it on a website with custom design and such.

The big question does kind of come down to "How do you decide who gets to shoot the big shows?" That I don't know. I'm thinking some of the really big bands get hundreds of Photo requests a day, realistically our blog would get shuffled away in the mess, and if there's only say 10-15 people that are on-board, the odds of everyone wanting to (and being able) to shoot the same tours is probably not gonna happen very often. Add in the fact that some places will be different legs of the tour with different bands to reach out too, and a PR company will have forgotten we shot their band 3 months ago; or they'll remember and not give a poo poo because of the time that passed, maybe even more so if someone steps up and interviews them.

I think our only real problem would come down to big tours that span a poo poo-load of dates and hit every major geographical area (The Warped Tour is probably gonna be tricky, but again, they get so many requests 10 of them would probably just get lost in the mess).

I was talking to HPL; since everyone is seemingly so staggered aside from a few people, judging who gets the larger shows doesn't really matter, as long as they have quality to back them up.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
London, UK person here. I'd be interested in getting on board with this if you'll have me :)

Is anyone else UK based and interested in this?

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

AtomicManiac posted:

Here's a thought, why don't the Dorkroom concert shooters get together and create a "Media Outlet" that covers music? I mean, we've got skilled photogs that can create content all over the world, if even 10 people sign up, and they all shoot 2 shows a month, that's nearly an update everyday, with local and regional bands from all over the place.

How I figure it would work is, you post your best 1-4 shots from the show, and write a paragraph about the performance. Then maybe every month everyone writes one review, or an interview with a band, and you're hitting 40 some updates a month. Bands will always repost press, so that's some free advertising built right in; not to mention crazy amounts of backlinks that will shoot our page-rank up in search engines. I think with the amount of contributors we'd have, all covering different genres in different scenes, we could build a fast following and make a name, which we could then exploit to get into bigger shows some of us might not be able to get into.

Thoughts?

I think this is an awesome idea.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Atomic, I would be down with the idea even though I already kinda started my own one man music photography/news site.

I mainly shoot smaller local shows but I think a goon run media outlet would be awesome

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax
I would be down for this but as has been mentioned already there needs to be a person who can moderate and basically be the frontman for the whole operation. I'm usually pretty good at leadership roles but I don't have the time to devote to it at the moment. I would be down as a contributor though.

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...
I really think you guys would be better off getting in with an existing publication, rather than starting a photo blog basically purely for media access to events.

Shooting for an existing publication guarantees you readership, and working with a competent editor can both improve your taste and standards and provide you with connections and references down the road.

edit: I don't necessarily mean to poo-poo DIY publishing either, it's just that music scenes, and their media tend to be localized geographically, so local media about local bands could have more value than say, a blog populated with geographically dispersed shots of mid-level hardcore bands from a 50 stop festival tour with dozens of other photographers at each stop (sort of thinking about warped tour here). This would be especially true if you lived somewhere without a few alternative weekly newspapers (which I presume you might have tried to shoot for if there were any around).

dunno fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 29, 2010

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

dunno posted:

I really think you guys would be better off getting in with an existing publication, rather than starting a photo blog basically purely for media access to events.

Shooting for an existing publication guarantees you readership, and working with a competent editor can both improve your taste and standards and provide you with connections and references down the road.

edit: I don't necessarily mean to poo-poo DIY publishing either, it's just that music scenes, and their media tend to be localized geographically, so local media about local bands could have more value than say, a blog populated with geographically dispersed shots of mid-level hardcore bands from a 50 stop festival tour with dozens of other photographers at each stop (sort of thinking about warped tour here). This would be especially true if you lived somewhere without a few alternative weekly newspapers (which I presume you might have tried to shoot for if there were any around).

Well, sort of.

Some...acquaintances... of mine created hellox6.com specifically to get backstage at events. It's simply a photo blog that got started out of one of the dudes doing part time promotion for DJs. They had a couple of *talented* photographers take party pictures of their shows, with another fashion photographer taking pictures of models in their "trademark stripes" in Austin and there you go.

They just had people who usually do party photography in LA/Dallas/NYC do one thing a week, and it made them look really popular.

Now they got VIP/Backstage passes to Coachella after 1 year or so, they got media badges to SXSW and ACL and Bonnaroo. They put a lot of work into it, and they had regular updates from their staff, who from my understanding was barely paid, and the staff basically worked for access. So yeah, it's totally doable.

They do stuff like Polaroid Wednesdays, where they put up some polaroids on Wednesday, and then post their party pics on Mondays, and have their fashion girl put up her shots on Friday and they always have content. They do do promotions though, so it is focused on their own shows. I did some work for them, and..well. It works. The 2 guys who ran it moved to LA and had some falling out with some staff, so content is down, but the whole thing worked.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

dunno posted:

It depends on the band. I think the key is to cover genuinely interesting local bands or events as opposed to mediocre bands or bands that just stand there. If we're not too concerned with covering major shows, maybe something to do might be a blog where people submit one photo a week or something with a short blurb about the band and it gets put up maybe 5 photos a day or something digestible like that.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

dunno posted:

The trouble with working for an existing publication is that odds are they already have the staff they need, and aren't looking to hire on 20 contributors. Add in the fact that they're going to be profiting off of our work and the fact that starting it up ourselves really wouldn't be a terrible amount of work. All we really need is to bring in one or two people with an interest in music journalism (You can't swing a dead cat in a college level journalism class without hitting 10 people that would die for the job) to write decent album reviews. Then every month all the "Staff" can get together and post a "What we listened to a shitload this month" type of article, where everyone talks about the album/band they listened to the most for the month.

As far as "local media" is concerned, I could name at least 10 bands from my town or the next one over that tour on a more than "regional basis". Shooting one of those bands and covering it would be fine, since the odds that someone might see them live is there. Besides, with online music distribution the only REAL qualifier is "Does the band have good recordings that a person could download or purchase over the internet?" if the answer is yes, we cover them. Take for example: http://www.myspace.com/TheAnswerTeam Here's a band that doesn't really tour. Are they good enough to get some press coverage? Abso-loving-lutely. Here's another band that's in California (I live in Nebraska), they're on their first tour, but I love their new EP even though they're not coming within 15 hours of Nebraska. http://www.myspace.com/thespeedofsoundinseawater Yet I have both their EPs and spin them at least once or twice a month. There's thousands of bands out there that are local, but still amazing enough to check out and listen to. Just because shooting concerts is our vehicle to get access to the band doesn't mean the idea should be a "Come see this band live!", it's a "Check this band out, if you like it, make a show if you can".

As for situations like Warped, the shooter will only be covering one band. For example I'll cover Dillinger Escape Plan, HPL covers Andrew WK, Rock City shoots Hey Monday, etc. Maybe at the end we can have a "Warped wrap-up" with everyone. Anything extraneous that you shoot is for yourself, or another publication.

As for constant content, 10 guys shooting 1 show a month, is 2-3 updates a week, add in 10 people contributing a new album review or interview with a band and you've got 4-6 updates a week, nearly everyday. I know tumblr so I'm gonna go ahead and keep using that as an example, but with Tumblr you can schedule posts, so if there's already an update for the day, you schedule it to post the next day. Simple, poo poo doesn't stack, but is nearly constant.

AtomicManiac fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 29, 2010

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
One of the things about this site is actually promoting things at some place.

Just having a site where people post pictures and write ups is awesome, but it only gets you so far. When you have something like "Come check out Steve Aoki at Lizard Lounge, brought to you by LiveNation and GoonPhotoBlog2000" then you get the name everywhere.

The problem is, doing party/band photography, I meet about 15 promoters every night I shoot, who all are the best promoter in the Metroplex and never have done anything.

Seriously, look at http://www.hellox6.com/ as an example. They did basically what we want to do. They took a photoblog, turned it into something slightly larger by hosting DJs at the Ghostbar in Dallas (on a Wednesday), and now they get access and media badges to whatever they want.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

AtomicManiac posted:

As for situations like Warped, the shooter will only be covering one band. For example I'll cover Dillinger Escape Plan, HPL covers Andrew WK, Rock City shoots Hey Monday, etc. Maybe at the end we can have a "Warped wrap-up" with everyone. Anything extraneous that you shoot is for yourself, or another publication.

This is an interesting idea. It's hard to cover all the bands at a festival plus it may be easier to get a pass if you're covering a specific artist. Of course the downside being that sometimes you're not allowed into the venue until that artist is on stage and then you're out of there when they're done. I think an artist-by-artist recap of a big tour like that would be interesting because it would be one artist per day to focus on as opposed to: "Here's a shitload of photos from Warped, hope your eyes don't glaze over". Basically, it's a way to offer a somewhat unique perspective on a tour without fifty photo sets of the same artist in fifty cities.

I think there's still value in featuring local artists though as long as we can come up with a way to make people care about a band in another city. Like for instance, Todd Owyoung's great photo sets of Semi Precious Weapons really got me interested in the band back when they were largely a New York phenomenon.

Maybe a good way to split up the major shows would be that you get maximum one major show per month so that way you don't have people hogging things and people can devote more energy into that one show versus shotgunning it. I know from experience that "first come, first served" can be a bit troublesome as the good assignments go to whoever is fastest on the e-mail.

HPL fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 29, 2010

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

dunkman posted:

One of the things about this site is actually promoting things at some place.

Just having a site where people post pictures and write ups is awesome, but it only gets you so far. When you have something like "Come check out Steve Aoki at Lizard Lounge, brought to you by LiveNation and GoonPhotoBlog2000" then you get the name everywhere.

The problem is, doing party/band photography, I meet about 15 promoters every night I shoot, who all are the best promoter in the Metroplex and never have done anything.

Seriously, look at http://www.hellox6.com/ as an example. They did basically what we want to do. They took a photoblog, turned it into something slightly larger by hosting DJs at the Ghostbar in Dallas (on a Wednesday), and now they get access and media badges to whatever they want.

This is true. It hurts us because of the geographical differences, and if we get too focused in one market things become a bit lopsided. I think that as long as we persist, things will snow-ball. Like I said I don't have all the answers, but bands WILL repost press 99% of the time. Take for example "The Answer Team" from my last post. They have 367 "fans" on facebook. Their bass player has 900 friends on facebook, I have 450 friends. Assuming that all 367 people that are fans are his or my friends, it still leaves 1,350 potential visitors just between me and the Bass Player. If 10% of those people check out the post, then 135 people see the site. That's not even that much of a stretch; When you add in the drummer and one guitarist you've got another 1,000 people, add in the violin player and you've got another 800. Assuming we run in similar circles, there's still at least 2,000 potential visitors from just one band that isn't even that well known.

If you shoot a bigger band with a more rabid fan-base ("Sing It Loud", a band I have connections with) you have 30k+ potential visitors from their facebook fan page alone and I know for sure I can get at least an interview with them. I'm sure that everyone posting in this forum has connections to at least one potential band that could bring in 10k+ "potential" views.

As time goes on those "potential views" turn into regular readers, and we're a small niche blog that carries a lot of weight with managers and PR companies that represent smaller bands. Once we get on the PR companies radar, Photo-passes will be easy to get. Who knows, maybe our blog gets big enough that bands/PR see press-shots and hire someone to do their promos, or maybe Rolling Stone or AP poaches one of our really talented guys. Maybe none of that happens, maybe it doesn't work at all and we never get a photo-pass from it. It's worth a shot, and the effort of writing what comes out to 1-2 pages over the course of a month.

On a side-note, this is less of a "photo blog" and more of a Music publication. I don't see art/fashion really making it into the blog, at least for the first bit. I think that distinction will allow us access to shows a lot easier/faster in the sites life.

AtomicManiac fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 29, 2010

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

edit:

Tincans fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 27, 2012

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

One thing I haven't really put thought into is the name. If it was only me, I'd pick "One Armed Scissor" or "The Comatorium" based off the song that got me into music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NYbojdoAQE and my favorite album of all time "Deloused in the Comatorium" (Mars Volta). Though I'm not particularly attached to either name. Something Goon related could be cool "Goon Squad" or something like that, gives a nod to our name, plus we can advertise on SA and have a sort of built in audience as well.

With that, how does everyone feel about using Tumblr, at least at the beginning? I have one for my photography and love it's simplicity. It integrates with twitter and facebook, and you can schedule updates. If it picks up I'll take the hit and buy a domain name that we can point back to the tumblr, and if it REALLY picks up we can get a graphic designer to design us a website that can use the Tumblr API so we're still using tumblr on the back-end.

Thoughts?

AtomicManiac fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 29, 2010

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

AtomicManiac posted:

On a side-note, this is less of a "photo blog" and more of a Music publication. I don't see art/fashion really making it into the blog, at least for the first bit. I think that distinction will allow us access to shows a lot easier/faster in the sites life.

Art/fashion could fit in. There's lots of other really neat stuff like burlesque or roller derby which could be beneficial as both scenes have nationwide if not worldwide following so for instance a photo set and article on a roller derby bout in Texas might attract readers from all over North America because of the league system and the fact that the individual leagues often have friendly bouts with travel teams from other leagues. Burlesque works similarly in that there's a sort of network between cities and dancers travel a lot.

At the end of the day, a lot of our clout would come from the fact that by nature whatever we do would be all about the international scale. Sure, not every reader from Brisbane is going to care about every band from Milwaukee or whatever, but if even 5% or 10% click through, that's probably a hell of a lot more attention than the average local-only web site can generate.

Naturally, this would mean a bias towards bands that are visually interesting, but that would sort of end up being the case anyway.

Let's face it, even if it doesn't end up becoming a media monster, it'll still be a neat place to post stuff, sort of like a blog. Photographers post 3 to 5 photos of a show with a small writeup and a link to the photo set on their own web site or something. Kind of like the public face of Dorkroom concert photographers. Get sponsors or ads to help foot the cost for hosting or web design or whatever.

HPL fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 30, 2010

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...

AtomicManiac posted:

Starting a real music publication (with a visual focus) is probably a much better idea than just a photo site (unless it were party photography, which I think of as a rather different beast).

My only advice in that case would be to take it seriously: edit carefully, making sure the writing doesn't suck (because most music writing does suck) and try to find a common intersection in your tastes to focus on. Topical, well curated, coverage is a lot more worthwhile.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

HPL posted:

Kind of like the public face of Dorkroom concert photographers.

This is something I could get behind. I feel like we have quite a few talented concert shooters hanging around here, it would be cool to be able bring that work out into a more visible arena.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

I, Butthole posted:

Sydney here, I'd definitely up for it. I'm sick of picking up whatever scraps Faster Louder's best buddies don't feel like taking.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Someone work some CMS magic so we can get to it please.

Something else people should think about is the editing, and common format rules.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Okay, I think we need three things at this point:

1) A list of people interested in shooting, their location and preferred genre(s) to shoot.

2) Ideas for a name. We can be democratic about it or I can pick a dumb one everyone hates.

3) A back end. Are we going to make our own site from the start, or use something like Tumblr/blogspot and point a domain at it, so it still comes across as ______.com as opposed to ___________.tumblr.com?

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

I think it needs to be asked- what is the goal of this site? Not a main goal, but do you hope to have people get creds to review shows or to get reviews from people already have creds? If it is the former, I would go from scratch as most promoters can see right through home build tumbler sites.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

I'd like to suggest that we use Wordpress as contributers can send their photos/reports to be reviewed before posting online among other benefits. Plus we can have a swish looking site in hardly any time.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

psylent posted:

Sydney here, I'd definitely up for it. I'm sick of picking up whatever scraps Faster Louder's best buddies don't feel like taking.

Just felt that sting today at Splendour.

"So when am I going to get ahold of my pit pass?"

"OH later when xxx has a break. Until then take social photos!"

2 hours later I packed up my gear and just watched bands the rest of the day. Never heard a peep from anyone else. At least it means I can downsize my kit to just a 5D with 11-16 and flash.

AtomicManiac posted:

Okay, I think we need three things at this point:

1) A list of people interested in shooting, their location and preferred genre(s) to shoot.

2) Ideas for a name. We can be democratic about it or I can pick a dumb one everyone hates.

3) A back end. Are we going to make our own site from the start, or use something like Tumblr/blogspot and point a domain at it, so it still comes across as ______.com as opposed to ___________.tumblr.com?

Alrighty then:

Location: Brisbane/Genre: whatever, concerts concerts concerts.

No idea for name. Globephoto? Something that will say that we're independent (not indie, make the differentiation) as well as global.

From scratch. Tumblr is fine as a throw together, but a real website will work wonders for people who will check us out for handing out the passes.

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 30, 2010

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

AtomicManiac posted:

One thing I haven't really put thought into is the name. If it was only me, I'd pick "One Armed Scissor" or "The Comatorium" based off the song that got me into music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NYbojdoAQE and my favorite album of all time "Deloused in the Comatorium" (Mars Volta). Though I'm not particularly attached to either name. Something Goon related could be cool "Goon Squad" or something like that, gives a nod to our name, plus we can advertise on SA and have a sort of built in audience as well.

With that, how does everyone feel about using Tumblr, at least at the beginning? I have one for my photography and love it's simplicity. It integrates with twitter and facebook, and you can schedule updates. If it picks up I'll take the hit and buy a domain name that we can point back to the tumblr, and if it REALLY picks up we can get a graphic designer to design us a website that can use the Tumblr API so we're still using tumblr on the back-end.

Thoughts?

I for one would nix tumblr and go with something like a wordpress backend. I remember in the e-mail from MSO PR (for Warped) they were very clear about no tumblrs would be accepted for media creds. That might be specific for MSO PR but I'd be a bit wary about using tumblr.

Other than that, I'd like to contribute it in some way

*edit* man I do need to learn to refresh the thread before I reply

1) Throw me down. Boston area: mainly pop-punk and hardcore but I'll shoot metalcore too

2) Oh jesus, I have no idea. Go with The Dorkroom (seriously, please don't)? I suck at names, the name for my new site (Two Senses) had to be picked by someone else. Now I'm just waiting for it to be crawled

3) As I mentioned above: from scratch or using a heavily modified wordpress backend

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 30, 2010

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I'm totally in, and I'm pretty sure my roommate is too.

1) Dallas, TX (just 3 hours from Austin, as well). I shoot indie rock and DJs, he mostly shoots Metal and nerdcore shows. But really, we'll shoot whatever. I literally live next door to the Granada Theater.
2) Our site is called the f/1.2 and the furious. It always gets a chuckle, but I have no ideas for a good name. Let's NOT go with "the dorkroom"
3) Wordpress or something easy to use, Community Server or Drupal are also all right.

didi-mau
May 1, 2007
"He’d sell you for a muffin"
Atomic Maniac, I like your idea and I like your math.

I don't get much of a look-in from Faster Louder either so I'd like to be able to name drop a 'publication' when I'm trying to pick up a press pass from management. I'm assuming web-based music press has a little more weight behind it than it did a few years ago.

I'm in favour of a wordpress backend, something very simple that lets the content speak for itself. I'm happy to lend my design skills to the branding/layout.

I'd also offer my hosting because I can have as many domains attached to my hosting plan as I want but I'm not sure how my dirt-cheap Gatorhost account would deal with actual traffic though. . .

For reference:

- I'm from Melbourne

- Pop, rock and indie bands would be my preference but I've been to electronic and metal gigs and have no qualms about shooting other stuff if there's interest.

- Name? Synasthesia? too high brow? You just pick a dumb one and I'll work out if I hate it.

https://www.riddip.com
richard at riddip.com

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

didi-mau posted:

Atomic Maniac, I like your idea and I like your math.

I don't get much of a look-in from Faster Louder either so I'd like to be able to name drop a 'publication' when I'm trying to pick up a press pass from management. I'm assuming web-based music press has a little more weight behind it than it did a few years ago.

I'm in favour of a wordpress backend, something very simple that lets the content speak for itself. I'm happy to lend my design skills to the branding/layout.

I'd also offer my hosting because I can have as many domains attached to my hosting plan as I want but I'm not sure how my dirt-cheap Gatorhost account would deal with actual traffic though. . .

For reference:

- I'm from Melbourne

- Pop, rock and indie bands would be my preference but I've been to electronic and metal gigs and have no qualms about shooting other stuff if there's interest.

- Name? Synasthesia? too high brow? You just pick a dumb one and I'll work out if I hate it.

https://www.riddip.com
richard at riddip.com

If you are running hostgator then they have "unlimited" bandwith and storage space even on their cheapest plans.

A lot of Aussies in this thread eh? I swear I'm the only east coast shooter here

Okay, that's a bit vague. New England then

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 30, 2010

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Nope, I am east coast, too- Florida.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

dunkman posted:

I'm totally in, and I'm pretty sure my roommate is too.

Oh yes.

1) Dallas, TX. I shoot a lot of metal/hardcore shows right now mainly due to the promoter I'm working with, but I'll shoot anything as long as it's lively and visually interesting (though I hate shooting indie shows for this very reason). I also love to shoot large arena/festival stuff (did Flaming Lips, Electric Daisy Carnival) just for the sheer amount of subject matter at shows like that. I shoot weddings as well, and my style tends to blend between the two.

2) Let's NOT go with "the dorkroom" Other than that I can't say. I've got one idea I really like but I'm hoarding it for my own nefarious purposes :D

3) Wordpress or something easy to use. Ease of use is absolutely key. If it's a chore to get content up people are going to drag their feet.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I was kidding about The Dorkroom

also photo content:

Anchorlines

flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehansenphoto/4827893908/in/set-72157624454989455/

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax
I'm in for Louisville, KY and Chicago, IL. I shoot mostly roots-rock, alt-coutnry, Americana, blues and jazz.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
if you really wanted to kickstart this thing it'd be great if the site had photographer's profiles as well as a back-log of indexed band photos. So if in the first month or two of the site being live someone comes to the site it doesn't look like there are only 4 posts. If you had a way for everyone to upload galleries of their favorite photos from X bands they'd shot it would lend some credibility from the get-go.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
We *REALLY* want to avoid looking like a site where any photographer can join and submit photos of a band.

That would kill the efficacy of getting access really quick. You almost want to hide WHO is taking the photos, since the photographer isn't the "draw" of the site. You want people to go to look at awesome pictures of bands. Having a Profile page with 70 photographers on there will cause any promoter is think we're doing, well, exactly what we're doing.

Also, and this is the part that will cause drama, we can't get too big. Having 500 photographers and 150 of them in Sydney, LA, SF, Dallas, and NY would kind of ruin things. Maybe you disagree, but I think it's up for discussion.

There's some site out there, I can't find it right now, but it lets you write articles and submit it to their site, and after a minimal editorial pass it will post the article. You can create an account and upload your pic and give yourself a title. It looks really legit until you click around the site and realize it's totally fake, and just some slick way of making it look like you have experience writing things. I could write up an article on Pokemon vs. Thundercats and get it published in the "Current Events" section and put on my resume that I'm a published writer.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Capping submissions to one a week or one a month depending on the photographer pool should keep things reasonable. If there's too much content coming in from all sides, information will get lost in the avalanche as stuff slides off the front page in a day or two.

One neat idea might be to have the articles as band profiles rather than simple photo sets. You do a write-up about a band, maybe a short interview, some concert shots and a promo-type shot or two. It would be neat in that it would force people to put more thought into their submissions and it would raise the site's profile because it would necessitate more networking between photographer, promoter and band.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

HPL posted:

Capping submissions to one a week or one a month depending on the photographer pool should keep things reasonable. If there's too much content coming in from all sides, information will get lost in the avalanche as stuff slides off the front page in a day or two.

One neat idea might be to have the articles as band profiles rather than simple photo sets. You do a write-up about a band, maybe a short interview, some concert shots and a promo-type shot or two. It would be neat in that it would force people to put more thought into their submissions and it would raise the site's profile because it would necessitate more networking between photographer, promoter and band.

Thinking about this, what about Band profile pages that list all of the different times they've been shot. That way when you're like "Hey, can I shoot Vampire Weekend?" the promoter (or whoever) can go to the site, see that "you" (the site) has shot Vampire Weekend 8 times this year and the pics are awesome.

Or maybe that isn't as good. I don't know, I don't want to put myself forward as an expert here, but I am very interested and want to get involved.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

To answer some questions, here are my thoughts.

1) If things go amazing, I'll call the cap at 25 photogs. MAYBE bring in 10 actual writers and a graphics guy or 2. Maybe if we set up shop and we don't have say a New-York or Orange County guy, we'll vote him in, thought it'd be a democratic thing. I don't want to get into a situation where people are fighting for passes in markets.

2) AT LEAST 12 HOURS between updates, maybe a day to start with. The idea is to give the bands some actual exposure, not cram in thousands of bands in one go.

3) I'm not familiar with the wordpress back-end, can you change the date to something in the past? If so we can get a back-log going pretty quick. I know Tumblr does this, so I assume others have this possibility as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

AtomicManiac posted:

To answer some questions, here are my thoughts.

1) If things go amazing, I'll call the cap at 25 photogs. MAYBE bring in 10 actual writers and a graphics guy or 2. Maybe if we set up shop and we don't have say a New-York or Orange County guy, we'll vote him in, thought it'd be a democratic thing. I don't want to get into a situation where people are fighting for passes in markets.

2) AT LEAST 12 HOURS between updates, maybe a day to start with. The idea is to give the bands some actual exposure, not cram in thousands of bands in one go.

3) I'm not familiar with the wordpress back-end, can you change the date to something in the past? If so we can get a back-log going pretty quick. I know Tumblr does this, so I assume others have this possibility as well.

3) yes, you can change post date on each post. You can also schedule posts for the future, so you can write it all up, edit it, post pics, and then say "publish at 8pm tomorrow."

Rest looks good, thanks for being a force behind this!