Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Autism Sundae posted:

The rubber creaking noises from driver side door get louder with temperature, and are at its worst if I leave the car in the sun for a while. This kind of confirms that it's the seals to me... I've been reading mk6 forums and apparently creaking seals are a common problem, especially for 3-doors.

I'm looking into some kind of permanent solution (dealer gave me a part number for some clear tape to put above the door but it's not really a great way to do this), but can something like this: http://www.1z-usa.com/einszett_gummi_pflege.html work pretty well on the seals?

my1999gsr, not sure if you would know but what's proper alignment for doors on a mk6 GTI? Is there an easy way to tell if something's not aligned right? The upper seal on left door looks pushed in, but both doors close normally.

Whenever something like your problem comes up, we try to diagnose it like we've been discussing here - lubricants, seals, etc. If there's ever any question about door alignment we just send it out to a collision shop and let them handle it. You can try cutting a few strips of paper, closing them in the door and seeing how difficult it is to pull them past the seal - that's a good way to check door alignment and sealing. If the strip is very difficult to remove then the door is too tight to the seal. If the strip slips out easily then the door is too loose. Ideally you want the strip to drag past the seal with moderate, consistant resistance at all areas. If you're not getting that feedback then your door isn't aligned properly or the seal has been degraded in some way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

mastermind2004 posted:

I have a 2010 Golf TDI, and I need to mount a front license plate on it. Am I best off just going in and having the dealership drill the front bumper?

I've seen forums where people build out a mounting bracket using bolts, spacers, washers, and a few other things that doesn't seem to complicated, but it doesn't look exactly easy to get access in behind the grill (either top or bottom, although preferably bottom) on my Golf. Is it actually relatively easy to get in there with enough room to put the washers and bolts in to secure it to the grill?

Removing the front bumper cover isn't very difficult at all if you want to access it from the back so feel free to give it a go. We drill and mount a bracket for the front plate prior to customer delivery at the dealership because that's how VW procedure dictates though I've never cared for it.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips
Huh. The dealer guys keep telling me that it's "normal", so I have to fight just to get anything checked out. There's nothing normal about doors creaking when driving in a straight line that's for sure. I might get a regional manager to try and do something if I can find their info. :tizzy:

I mean, I understand that stiff suspension and larger wheels make for a bumpy and noisy ride, but some things are definitely not working the way they're supposed to be.

So if the door is too tight for the seal (I'll check when I'm out of the office), what's the usual process - adjusting the whole door? I'm also seeing replies on mk6gti and vwvortex about door seals being installed backwards from factory on early MK6s, is that even possible

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Autism Sundae posted:

Huh. The dealer guys keep telling me that it's "normal", so I have to fight just to get anything checked out. There's nothing normal about doors creaking when driving in a straight line that's for sure. I might get a regional manager to try and do something if I can find their info. :tizzy:

I mean, I understand that stiff suspension and larger wheels m.ake for a bumpy and noisy ride, but some things are definitely not working the way they're supposed to be.

So if the door is too tight for the seal (I'll check when I'm out of the office), what's the usual process - adjusting the whole door? I'm also seeing replies on mk6gti and vwvortex about door seals being installed backwards from factory on early MK6s, is that even possible

I'm not sure how the seal could be installed backward and still actually fit - you can see how part of the seal fits behind the pillar trim covers in the interior. Not to say it's impossible - if you want to screw something up bad enough you'll always find a way - but it's highly unlikely.

The door can be aligned - it has several adjustment points for that - but I wouldn't call it "usual" since it's rare that we have to go as far as a trip to the body shop to correct such a problem.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Autism Sundae posted:

How often should I rotate the tires on my GTI, is it every 5K or so?

It'll be in your owner's manual I think...

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Dealer says the camshaft on my '06 GLI is worn and needs to be replaced. Also the fuel pump may be bad as well. $1700 w/fuel pump $1400 w/o, all not under warranty due to miles on the car (62000). So at least it wasn't the turbo, but should I be worried anything else could go wrong due to the cam shaft having been worn or is camshaft wear typical?

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Alighieri posted:

Dealer says the camshaft on my '06 GLI is worn and needs to be replaced. Also the fuel pump may be bad as well. $1700 w/fuel pump $1400 w/o, all not under warranty due to miles on the car (62000). So at least it wasn't the turbo, but should I be worried anything else could go wrong due to the cam shaft having been worn or is camshaft wear typical?

This is/was a very common problem. The material used to manufacture the cams wasn't finished properly and ended up being too soft. The fuel pump runs off a triangular lobe on the end of one of the cams but the plunger/follower that is actuated by that triangle is much harder than the lobe so it wears the cam down and fuel pressure drops as a result. I've replaced 3 or 4 cams and fuel pumps for this exact same thing but usually it shows up much earlier in the car's life - I've never done one that was a customer-pay, they were all warranty. It's very much a known problem with your motor - call VW Cusomer Service and see if you can't get some goodwill out of them for the cost of repair.

EDIT: The replacement cams are a different part number and are properly manufactured - none have returned for the same problem.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose
Just had my DSG flash the gear indicator on the MFD and go into neutral. I pulled over and waited a bit, started it back up and everything seemed ok (regular D and also manual mode).

I've already had my mechatronics replaced previously and was under the impression that if the shifts were still smooth this was just a temperature sensor problem. Is that an accurate statement or is something more serious going down?

EDIT: Going to scan it tonight when I get home for any codes. If anything comes up I will add it here.

teh jhey
May 23, 2004

Kitty needs more souls.
I'm doing some car shopping for a friend who is mildly interested in a 2010 Wolfsburg.

Originally, I'd assumed it was just a GLI with a different grill, but I took another look, and there are little things missing here and there that would normally be there on an equivalent GLI, like fog lamps, steering wheel buttons and paddles.

Further googling turned up some talk about smaller brake rotors, but that's about it.

What else is missing, and is there anywhere I can find the complete spec list on the 2010 Wolfsburg?

teh jhey fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 27, 2010

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

teh jhey posted:

I'm doing some car shopping for a friend who is mildly interested in a 2010 Wolfsburg.

Originally, I'd assumed it was just a GLI with a different grill, but I took another look, and there are little things missing here and there that would normally be there on an equivalent GLI, like fog lamps, steering wheel buttons and paddles.

Further googling turned up some talk about smaller brake rotors, but that's about it.

What else is missing, and is there anywhere I can find the complete spec list on the 2010 Wolfsburg?

The wolfsburg is usually just a trim level, where as the GLI has better brakes, better suspension and the extra trim level.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose
Well the car seemed to get home fine, no DSG issues at all. When I scanned it with vag-com I got this in the auto trans section:

code:

1 Fault Found:
19155 - Pressure Control Solenoid 5: Open or Short to Ground 
            P2723 - 000 -  -  - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00100000
                    Fault Priority: 0
                    Reset counter: 39
                    Mileage: 56937 km
                    Time Indication: 0
Anybody clue me in on this? I googled it and only got a German language vag-com page.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

How long do these faults stay recorded? If you had a check engine light that goes away or something like that, can you connect a scan tool and see what happened with a timestamp even a few days after the fact?

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

Autism Sundae posted:

How long do these faults stay recorded? If you had a check engine light that goes away or something like that, can you connect a scan tool and see what happened with a timestamp even a few days after the fact?

I believe that they are stored until cleared or if they occur again.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

This thread shows a Mk2 Golf in the OP. I assume it's in the US. I'm in the UK and we had a Mk2 Golf but I'm sure it had round headlights. Were the US ones different?

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Anjow posted:

This thread shows a Mk2 Golf in the OP. I assume it's in the US. I'm in the UK and we had a Mk2 Golf but I'm sure it had round headlights. Were the US ones different?

I believe that VWs made at the Westmoreland, PA plant in the US came with square headlights instead of round ones. I don't know if it was a DOT thing or if the suppliers just provided square headlights here.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So has anyone rebuilt an air cooled motor lately? Finally getting my 59 back this weekend. I think i'm going to go ahead and just rebuild the 1200.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Not really VW specific, but what's a good thing to use to clean door/window seals? Rubbing alcohol?

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Mister Duck posted:

Well the car seemed to get home fine, no DSG issues at all. When I scanned it with vag-com I got this in the auto trans section:

code:

1 Fault Found:
19155 - Pressure Control Solenoid 5: Open or Short to Ground 
            P2723 - 000 -  -  - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00100000
                    Fault Priority: 0
                    Reset counter: 39
                    Mileage: 56937 km
                    Time Indication: 0
Anybody clue me in on this? I googled it and only got a German language vag-com page.

Well, I don't have any TSB's attached to this fault and I can't even find a mention of it in the P-code tables in my on-line manual which isn't too odd - VW is VERY close-mouthed about that stuff even to us. If you've already had the mechatronic module replaced then I'd be looking for a problem at the plug going into the mechatronic unit itself. That plug is round with a rotating lock mechanism that secures it. The fault is intermittant meaning it can be erased (as opposed to a static fault that cannot) which leads me to believe it's a wiring issue. The mechatronic unit has the pressure control solenoid built into it and it's unlikely to fail on it's own.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Autism Sundae posted:

Not really VW specific, but what's a good thing to use to clean door/window seals? Rubbing alcohol?

I've heard of using rubbing alcohol for seals but I use a... 3M product I think to clean mine.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

my1999gsr posted:

Well, I don't have any TSB's attached to this fault and I can't even find a mention of it in the P-code tables in my on-line manual which isn't too odd - VW is VERY close-mouthed about that stuff even to us. If you've already had the mechatronic module replaced then I'd be looking for a problem at the plug going into the mechatronic unit itself. That plug is round with a rotating lock mechanism that secures it. The fault is intermittant meaning it can be erased (as opposed to a static fault that cannot) which leads me to believe it's a wiring issue. The mechatronic unit has the pressure control solenoid built into it and it's unlikely to fail on it's own.

Awesome thanks. That car is going to the dealer Saturday, I just wanted to know if I was going to have an argument over mods if the transmission was going again.

I guess I will see what they tell me, a wiring issue I would hope they wouldn't blame on anything I did, as the car has been running no problem for a year.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Another noob question, do 2.0t engines just run really hot? I have the fans still going for 30 seconds to a minute after I turn the engine off, and that's after a 15-minute drive in normal summer weather (75 degrees or so). Engine temp gauge is at its normal reading of course.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I'm looking at a Jetta Sportswagen TDi, and I'd like to know if there are any particular reasons to not get one, basically.

It's not really my money, but if I get this, I'm keeping it for at least 3 years, and likely longer. As far as I know, there isn't much known about long-term reliability on the 2.0TD in the US. But I read a fair few threads that talk about the HPFP dying in the US which may or may not be related to bad diesel; is this an issue in NY?

I mean, coming off an '02 Civic Si, this won't be quite as hot off the line, but are there any known issues with this engine?

Beyond seeming to lack Parking Lights, the JSW seems like an ideal vehicle for both the rare carrying of a lot of junk (i.e. moving into a new apartment all the way across the state) and MPG. Is there anything worth noting as an issue for day-to-day driving (beyond the apparent "drive your VW hard every once in a while outside of the initial break-in period to not clog the turbo/intake") that I should note?

I have no real knowledge of VWs beyond this thread and some stray reading on the TDI forums recommended at the beginning of this thread, and my current car is a [somewhat] rev-happy 2002 Civic Si. Is there anything I should keep an eye on in a TDi beyond shifting at a reasonable RPM? (i.e. Not 4.5k/3.5k) I see a lot of complaints about the 6MT on TDiClub/MyTurboDiesel/&c., but I suspect those are just about people not used to the way the trans. shifts –– it's just a matter of getting used to the clutch/engine of a new car, right?)

Some are claiming it is difficult because the TDi cuts off the engine below a certain RPM, rather than stuttering like most cars with an MT; is this really an issue, beyond getting used to a new clutch setup?

Also, given the recent chat about turbo cooling, am I wrong in assuming that modern turbos don't really need you to sit around for a few minutes to cool off? I think in the Subaru thread they were claiming that turbo timers were just an easier way for your car to get stolen, and provide no real benefit for most users.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I don't want to end up driving a time bomb, given the general reliability of my civic (the only car I've owned) for the past 4.5-5 yrs.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Autism Sundae posted:

Another noob question, do 2.0t engines just run really hot? I have the fans still going for 30 seconds to a minute after I turn the engine off, and that's after a 15-minute drive in normal summer weather (75 degrees or so). Engine temp gauge is at its normal reading of course.

Its normal. My 87 Scirocco and 95 GTI do the same thing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What is the TSI motor again, compared to the FSI? I saw a Tiguan this morning and was wondering how many people were chipping that.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Zenostein posted:

Also, given the recent chat about turbo cooling, am I wrong in assuming that modern turbos don't really need you to sit around for a few minutes to cool off?

You're right, it's not necessary. I can't answer most of your questions, but I suggest going over to vwvortex and reading through threads for Sportwagens in general as well as TDIs. General non-engine related issues for gas and diesel Jettas will be the same.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Zenostein posted:

I'm looking at a Jetta Sportswagen TDi, and I'd like to know if there are any particular reasons to not get one, basically.

It's not really my money, but if I get this, I'm keeping it for at least 3 years, and likely longer. As far as I know, there isn't much known about long-term reliability on the 2.0TD in the US. But I read a fair few threads that talk about the HPFP dying in the US which may or may not be related to bad diesel; is this an issue in NY?

I mean, coming off an '02 Civic Si, this won't be quite as hot off the line, but are there any known issues with this engine?

Beyond seeming to lack Parking Lights, the JSW seems like an ideal vehicle for both the rare carrying of a lot of junk (i.e. moving into a new apartment all the way across the state) and MPG. Is there anything worth noting as an issue for day-to-day driving (beyond the apparent "drive your VW hard every once in a while outside of the initial break-in period to not clog the turbo/intake") that I should note?

I have no real knowledge of VWs beyond this thread and some stray reading on the TDI forums recommended at the beginning of this thread, and my current car is a [somewhat] rev-happy 2002 Civic Si. Is there anything I should keep an eye on in a TDi beyond shifting at a reasonable RPM? (i.e. Not 4.5k/3.5k) I see a lot of complaints about the 6MT on TDiClub/MyTurboDiesel/&c., but I suspect those are just about people not used to the way the trans. shifts –– it's just a matter of getting used to the clutch/engine of a new car, right?)

Some are claiming it is difficult because the TDi cuts off the engine below a certain RPM, rather than stuttering like most cars with an MT; is this really an issue, beyond getting used to a new clutch setup?

Also, given the recent chat about turbo cooling, am I wrong in assuming that modern turbos don't really need you to sit around for a few minutes to cool off? I think in the Subaru thread they were claiming that turbo timers were just an easier way for your car to get stolen, and provide no real benefit for most users.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I don't want to end up driving a time bomb, given the general reliability of my civic (the only car I've owned) for the past 4.5-5 yrs.

The TDI sportwagon will be my next car. The thing to remember about new cars is that they are all computer controlled, so when you hit the rev limiter, there is no need to stutter, the computer just says "you get no more throttle" and turns your gas pedal off. Even my 04.5 works like that when I hit the rev limiter. As far as things to get used to, you will be going from a high revving low torque car to a low revving high torque car. The TDI will actually pull off the line faster than the civic will just because it has so much torque (especially if you mod it). If i recall though, i think the redline on the TDI is only like 5k.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

kimbo305 posted:

What is the TSI motor again, compared to the FSI? I saw a Tiguan this morning and was wondering how many people were chipping that.

The TSI is just an evolution of the FSI. The first 2.0t motors were FSI, they are TSI now, one of the big things is that they all use a timing chain now instead of timing belt.

Double post, meh

read this
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3889971

\/\/\/ And thats why my next car will be a TDI Wagon :)

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 30, 2010

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I've got a chipped, otherwise-stock, 1.9 PD instead of the shinier CRD. I make 130whp near redline (which on my car is 4500, fuel cut is 5000). I also make an astonishing 241ft/lbs of torque at 2200 RPM. I guaran-loving-tee that the TDI will be way quicker off the line than a high-revving Civic.

If you stay 1-3000 RPM (half the rev range), the car feels like it has a 250hp engine, just because of how effortlessly it grunts around at low RPMs. It only feels like 130hp when you go to pass someone on the highway and downshift.

Don't worry too much about redline being so low. The tach still goes the whole 200 degrees, and torque is dropping as the revs climb, not rising. The gearing is also much taller. First is generally too short for me with the go-pedal mashed and inking people behind me, but every gear past that is perfectly fine. My shift points at given MPH haven't changed going from an Escort to the TDI.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

I just remembered that I actually drove a rental 2010 Sportwagen Jetta for a day, not a TDI though. It's a nice enough car. Some loud rattles, but I haven't yet been in a VW that doesn't rattle (and I've driven quite a few different new ones by now) but this all depends on how anal you are about this stuff. Steering wheel and whole front of the interior are taken from the new Golf, the rest of the car is previous model Jetta.

Most things that apply to Golf apply to Sportwagen as well I guess: steering wheel is awesome (the one with controls, controls on wheel are awesome as well), heated seats are awesome, seats are pretty nice. Tons of room in the trunk. Handles poorly compared to a GTI obviously, I forgot I wasn't driving my car and tried to throw it hard into a corner and it doesn't really do that well.

Not sure which options they have for TDIs, but the touchscreen stereo system is worth getting for sure - just load an SD card with music and that's all you need. iPod/iPhone integration on these stereos is lovely though, music plays fine but scrolling through songs is unbearably slow (use SD card instead).

Insideline had a 2009 Jetta TDI in their long-term fleet (http://www.insideline.com/volkswagen/jetta/2009/2009-volkswagen-jetta-tdi-long-term-test.html) and I think engine and most components are shared between 09s and 10s. They liked it overall, take a look - I think their long-term tests are pretty informative.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Actually I was reading that IL long-term test writeup and noticed they had brake problems with their Jetta, citing a "squishy" pedal that went all the way to the floor. What's the normal behavior for brake pedal in VWs?

In my GTI when it's not in gear (idling at a light) the pedal makes a noticeable kshhhh sound when you push it down, but it just goes down freely for a little bit (2-3 inches maybe) and then stops. I don't think it makes any noise when I'm driving. I always assumed that's normal?

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Autism Sundae posted:

Your fans running after you turn your A5-style VW is totally normal. We even have a TSB about it for customers to let them know it's not a problem. If your fans run until the battery is dead then that's a different problem - usually the smaller (A/C) cooling fan has seized so the fan control module runs the main fan at high speed all the time until it's control module (which is integrated into the primary fan motor) burns out and the fan runs even with they key off.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Zenostein posted:

So far the CRD diesel engine has been pretty good. Off-hand I can't think of anything concerning about it at all actually. I've had the odd customer that has had complaints about stalling in first gear in the standard shift but it's just due to inexperience with the engine/tranny combo. The engine makes some serious torque early in the rev band which makes it a hoot to drive - especially compared to your Si.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Autism Sundae posted:

Actually I was reading that IL long-term test writeup and noticed they had brake problems with their Jetta, citing a "squishy" pedal that went all the way to the floor. What's the normal behavior for brake pedal in VWs?

In my GTI when it's not in gear (idling at a light) the pedal makes a noticeable kshhhh sound when you push it down, but it just goes down freely for a little bit (2-3 inches maybe) and then stops. I don't think it makes any noise when I'm driving. I always assumed that's normal?

VW brake pedal travel should be very similar to any other vehicle on the road and that kshhh sound is perfectly normal. We recently had an A5-style Jetta with a very soft pedal and an empty brake fluid reservoir. Turned out that the fluid was leaking into the brake booster servo - the pedal would pump up hard with the key off and drop right to the floor with the engine running.

cravoecanela
Jul 15, 2003

Anyone know the timing belt replacement interval on 2001 Golf GL 2.0 (AEG, I believe)? The manual specifies the TDI and 1.8 but not my engine. Unfortunately I have no maint. records when I bought the car; however, I do know where it was serviced but doubt it's been replaced.

I'm sitting at 70k miles and just under 10 years. Interference engine, right? So I can't let it go much longer I suspect.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
I would change it if it was me.

On my 97 ABA it's 60k miles/100k km.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Sacofjoea posted:

Anyone know the timing belt replacement interval on 2001 Golf GL 2.0 (AEG, I believe)? The manual specifies the TDI and 1.8 but not my engine. Unfortunately I have no maint. records when I bought the car; however, I do know where it was serviced but doubt it's been replaced.

I'm sitting at 70k miles and just under 10 years. Interference engine, right? So I can't let it go much longer I suspect.

IIRC the t-belt service on your 2.0 is 100,000 or 105,000 miles but you're WAY past the the actual time limit. Change the belt tensioner and water pump - you're pushing your luck at this point.

Neon Machete
Dec 30, 2006
yes
This is both extremely obscure and probably also a longshot, but do you have access to the pinout diagrams for the 619 (part number 4B0 907 487 J) and 608 (part number 4B0 907 487 D) multifunction steering wheel control modules? I'm building a custom wiring harness so that I can use one of these units and I need to know which one has the pinouts that I need and where to tap into them. Where do you think I could find this info? A simple google search doesn't seem to suffice.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Neon Machete posted:

This is both extremely obscure and probably also a longshot, but do you have access to the pinout diagrams for the 619 (part number 4B0 907 487 J) and 608 (part number 4B0 907 487 D) multifunction steering wheel control modules? I'm building a custom wiring harness so that I can use one of these units and I need to know which one has the pinouts that I need and where to tap into them. Where do you think I could find this info? A simple google search doesn't seem to suffice.

Our VAG wiring diagrams aren't the easiest to use for something like this but give me a couple of days and I'll see what I can do.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Any tips on getting the back clip into the distributor cap on a 97 ABA?

Tried pliers (i.e. twisting so it fit over), and it seems like i need about 1-2 mm more...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

Mister Duck posted:

Awesome thanks. That car is going to the dealer Saturday, I just wanted to know if I was going to have an argument over mods if the transmission was going again.

I guess I will see what they tell me, a wiring issue I would hope they wouldn't blame on anything I did, as the car has been running no problem for a year.

Well dealer told me nothing is wrong, even though I got that error in vag-com and the car went into that safe mode thing.

I showed them the log I took and told them to check the wiring and they just said they couldn't reproduce the error and the scan tool came up clean apart from the radio (which is due to it being aftermarket).

So I guess it's just drive it around normally until it happens again.