Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I'm also about to start reading King's The Shining. I love Kubrick's adaptation and I'm hoping the novel will give me a more detailed perspective. Besides, I'm going to the snow tomorrow and our lodge ought to be an appropriate setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

I finally got this in the mail this morning.

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Just started James' Varieties of Religious Experience the other day, which should be a great follow up to another book I read recently, MacCulloch's Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years. I love the presentation; I didn't know previously that it was a collection of lectures the man had given, which makes the book very conversational.

hello clarice
Jun 8, 2010

For Your Health!

The Machine posted:

I'm not sure what you're referring to.

me quoting the wrong thing is what i'm referring to.

d'oh

note to self: don't post while tired

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Picked up The Passage today due to recommendations from another thread. Also got it for half price at Waldenbooks so paid something like $14 for it.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

Found a used book store while in Maine for the weekend, even cheaper prices than the one back home at $2 per paperback book so I grabbed a bunch:

Homicide: A Year On The Killing Streets by David Simon
The Fellowship of The Ring by JRR Tolkien
The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky
A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

The only annoying thing is I still have yet to find A Clash of Kings, which comes before A Storm of Swords in the series, anywhere. Gonna have to check the library for it.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Just started Liarel, the second book in the Old Kingdom trilogy by Garth Nix. First book, Sabriel, was pretty awesome.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Octy posted:

I'm also about to start reading King's The Shining. I love Kubrick's adaptation and I'm hoping the novel will give me a more detailed perspective. Besides, I'm going to the snow tomorrow and our lodge ought to be an appropriate setting.

I think you'll be surprised to see how different the two are. Kubrick really took major liberties with the book.

Orasmis
Dec 30, 2008
People say that I'm cruel but I'm really not. I have the heart of a child.... in a jar.... on my desk.

I just had to buy this when I saw it. Yay Anthony Bourdain! :dance:

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Today I was given a copy of this timeless classic.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Give it back.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At the City's Edge by Marcus Sakey

Pretty good for what seemed like it was going to be pretty cliche. It was, but overall a decent book. Just finished it in about 8 hours.

spabz
Dec 28, 2007

Just began:
Cities of the Plain by Cormac McCarthy
Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor

About half-way through Lolita I realized I had to have some more Nabokov, so I purchased Pale Fire. I also bought The Inferno on my kindle (the Ciardi translation). I've also picked up The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene via book swap on goodreads.

spabz fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 23, 2010

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also, I just got 'Long Hard Road Out of Hell' by Marilyn Manson for $6. I've read about 75 pages this afternoon. He's pretty hosed up.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

ShutteredIn posted:

Give it back.

But it goes so well with my copies of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls, and Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters.

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

I love to watch Fox News and then go club some baby seals
I recently started Everyman's Stories of the Sea, a short story collection with stories about, surprise, the sea. It's divided into three parts: Dangers of the Deep, Voyages of Discovery, and The Call of the Sea. I've made it through the first part and so far the stories have been of varying quality. I liked Stevenson's "The Merry Men" and I loved Hemingway's "After the Storm," but I found Kipling's, Poe's, and Bradbury's stories to be underwhelming. The three latter ones all involved some form of supernatural element which might be why I disliked them. I just want to read about the actual sea, not imaginary creatures in it.

I'm also about halfway through Fitzgerald's Tender is the Night. I absolutely love The Great Gatsby and I'm enjoying this one so far. Sometimes the writing is a bit confusing and the language seems very different from Gatsby. I also have The Beautiful and Damned sitting on my shelf and I remember reading on this forum that one of these two is significantly worse than the other, however when I was choosing what to read next I'd forgotten which one was worse so I picked Tender is the Night because I really like "Ode to a Nightingale."

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

jimcunningham posted:

Also, I just got 'Long Hard Road Out of Hell' by Marilyn Manson for $6. I've read about 75 pages this afternoon. He's pretty hosed up.

I can't remember where I read it, but most of the stuff in that book was made up, or that is what someone was alleging.

Content:

Prelude to Foundation gonna read the "core books" of the series.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Started Sunshine by Robin McKinley and all of a sudden had read through the entire first section of the book.

This is pretty brilliant, too. Man the recommendation thread goons got some taste.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just realized I'm screwed financially for the next 6 to 12 months so I'm going to actually read all the books I own and haven't read.

List:

Seth Grahame-Smith/Jane Austen: pride and prejudice & zombies
Neil Gaiman: american gods
Pierre Boulle: planet of the apes
Oscar Ratti, Adele Westbrook: secrets of the samurai: the martial arts of feudal Japan
William Scott Wilson: the lone samurai
Niccolò Machiavelli: the prince
Chuck Palahniuk: choke and fight club
Orwell: animal farm
Hunter S: the proud highway, kingdom of fear and hells angels
Gabriel García Márquez: one hundred years of solitude & love in the time of cholera
Patrick Süskind: perfume
Vladimir Nabokov: lolita
Nick Cave: and the rear end saw the angel
F. Scott Fitzgerald: the great gatsby
Brian Greene: fabric of the cosmos
Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.: cats cradle
Bret Easton Ellis: glamorama
Tolstoy: war & peace, Anna k
Bram Stoker: dracula
Jack Kerouac: the town and the city, on the road, the subterraneans, pic, the dharma bums and lonesome traveler
Chris Bunch: dragonmaster
James Frey: bright shiny morning
Maggie Gee: the flood
Bill Bryson: short history of nearly everything and down under
Ken Kesey: one flew over the cuckoos
Darwin: origin of the species and the descent of man
William Goldman: the princess bride
Stephen Hunt kingdom beyond the waves
Lt. Gen. Harold G. Moore, Joseph L. Galloway: we were soldiers once...and young
James Joyce: Ulysses
Emily Brontë: wuthering heights
Charles Dickens David Copperfield
Sir Arthur Ignatius Conan Doyle: The complete Holmes
and Infinite Jest! and I think we all know who wrote that.

I paid $1 for Infinite Jest and $20 for the Kerouac books, brand new. :dance:

There are 45 books, So using https://www.random.org I've hit The Flood by Maggie Gee!

bowmore fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jul 26, 2010

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Sigrid Undset's The Master of Hestviken

and after that another title of her's, Kristin Lavransdatter. Just happened to find those collecting dust at my granma's house. Because I would like to learn more about medieval times.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I have just begun Your Next Door Neighbor is a Dragon by SA's Zack Parsons on my kindle. So far it's pretty funny. Looking forward to bizarre internet wackos.

BoredSith
Nov 5, 2008
Martin Amis - House of Meetings.

Read most of his, and enjoyed them all. Except Yellow Dog.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande
The Enchantment Emporium by Tanya Huff.
Used to love her Summon the Keeper books when they came out years ago and saw that she wrote a new series along similar-ish lines when I was browsing the bookstore. drat I love me some supernatural junk food sometimes.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Today I started Ibid.: A Life by Mark Dunn, because I saw it described in one of these threads around here and it piqued my interest as something light to get through during downtime at work (plus it's rather cheap on the Kindle store). After that I figure I'll finally listen to friends' myriad recommendations and read LeGuin's The Dispossessed. Also on Kindle; I don't have the e-reader yet, but I'm reading 'em on my laptop until I can send the cash for one home.

As far as "dead tree" books go, I've got 2666 waiting, having snatched it up after actually finding it in a bookstore around here (where bookstores with any English-language titles at all are rare enough). Think it might wait a little longer, though; I just finished Infinite Jest this morning and may want to take a bit of a breather before diving into another book of such considerable girth.

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

:derp:

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD
Title BOOK BARN SUPERSTAR
Motto Might I quote the incomparable Frederick Douglas? To wit: :drum:ONE TWO THREE TIMES TWO TO THE SIX/JONESING FOR YOUR FIX OF THAT LIMP BIZKIT MIX:drum:XD
Just started Bleak House about a week ago, and I'm currently around page 250, and it's a much more pleasant read than it seemed 5 years ago when I first tried to read it and barely made it through Esther's first narrative. It hasn't gotten quite as savage as I imagined it would just yet, but since I just hit Tom-All-Alone's (and Jo's incident with the "servant," which was amazing/awful), and things are changing for the worse with Richard, I think it's about to get a lot darker.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Just about to start Richard Price's Clockers which looks excellent.

I've only read one other book by him (Bloodbrothers which was very good, especially considering how young he was when he wrote it) but of course I'm a fan of a lot of his TV writing (such as The Wire).

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

I just picked up Larsson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and John le'Carre's Smiley's People, Our Game and The Spy Who Came in from the Cold.

I read a few chapters of Larsson's and The Spy Who Came in from the Cold and so far pretty good.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

geeves posted:

I just picked up Larsson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and John le'Carre's Smiley's People, Our Game and The Spy Who Came in from the Cold.

I read a few chapters of Larsson's and The Spy Who Came in from the Cold and so far pretty good.

The Spy Who Came In from the Cold is next on my list after Clockers - I already read the first 15 pages or so and it was drat good. I read The Night Manager by him a little while ago, it wasn't that great though to be honest.

planets in space
May 25, 2007

So... what now then?

NightConqueror posted:

I think you'll be surprised to see how different the two are. Kubrick really took major liberties with the book.

Seriously so. King was pretty pissed with Kubrick's rendition. Maybe it's one of the reasons for that god awful television remake a few years ago that was more true to the original text.

edit for content: I just started Hyperion and so far am really enjoying it! After trying to get through the first book in the Wheel of Time series and failing this is a welcome change.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I finally found a copy of Beneath the Surface by Simon Strantzas. I've been trying to get this book for almost two years. I can't wait for it to arrive.

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD
Motto Might I quote the incomparable Frederick Douglas? To wit: :drum:ONE TWO THREE TIMES TWO TO THE SIX/JONESING FOR YOUR FIX OF THAT LIMP BIZKIT MIX:drum:XD

planets in space posted:

Seriously so. King was pretty pissed with Kubrick's rendition. Maybe it's one of the reasons for that god awful television remake a few years ago that was more true to the original text.

It was, and the reason it was so bad is because it was truer.

Stephen King is a bad writer. He was upset because Kubrick changed his stuff to make it good.

spabz
Dec 28, 2007

Just bought the penguin version of Moby Dick by Herman Melville. I'm going to start it tonight. God help me.
I also bought the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation of The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.

Happyfacecrazy
Jul 30, 2010

Soft Kitty...
Warm Kitty...
Little Ball of Fur.
Happy Kitty...
Sleepy Kitty...
Purr, Purr, Purrr.
I am currently reading A Portrait of the Artist as a young Man by James Joyce. I started it dismorning and I am about half way through now. I picked up this book the other day for 2.99 I thought his other book Dubliners was great so I wanted to read more of his work. I am really happy with this book, I find very easy to read which I was surprised about. I'm going to try finish it tonight if I can.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Happyfacecrazy posted:

I started it dismorning

I think that's my new favorite word

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD

Happyfacecrazy posted:

I am currently reading A Portrait of the Artist as a young Man by James Joyce. I started it dismorning and I am about half way through now. I picked up this book the other day for 2.99 I thought his other book Dubliners was great so I wanted to read more of his work. I am really happy with this book, I find very easy to read which I was surprised about. I'm going to try finish it tonight if I can.

The second half is a little bit harder, but yeah, it's a pretty easy read, maybe even easier than Dubliners, but not quite as easy as Chamber Music.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande
Beatrice and Virgil by Yann Martel.
Never did read Life of Pi. But so far from what I'm reading in this one I'm gonna have to.

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT
Currently reading The Black Swan by Nassim Taleb. It's engaging so far although Taleb seems to be a little bit on the side of being a bigot/self-righteous.

I'm alternating between fiction and non-fiction so after this, I'm going to start The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

River of Gods by Ian Mcdonald, and the man certainly has a way with words and with imitating the modern 'foreign culture' novel, all with style.

I've heard the story doesn't hold together too well tho, which is a shame.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Started Order of the Phoenix yesterday. It's probably my favourite of the Harry Potter books - or, it ties with book 4 and book 6. Goddamn I love this book so much. I've already read it 3 times and had Stephen Fry read it to me once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

7 y.o. bitch posted:

It was, and the reason it was so bad is because it was truer.

Stephen King is a bad writer. He was upset because Kubrick changed his stuff to make it good.

Not a big King fan (his early stuff was mostly ok) but I have always found both the book and movie version of the Shining to be pretty good. I would say the Shining might even be his best book.

• Locked thread