Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

I recently got one of those keychain cam to put on my 450 heli or helmet to film my flying. The video is incredible for the price but it has a few annoying drawbacks. For one there is no way to set it so that it doesn't put a date / time stamp. You have to remove it with virtualdub and a filter. There's a few version of the camera and no one knows for sure what seller sell which version.

This site has ton of useful info for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
whoa, good info :)

This video is...I hate to use the word 'awesome', but it's pretty drat cool (airplane video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo2p_7tx9lQ

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Bump, and a new car. The LHS has had a used F1 car in it's collection of used stuff for a long time now, and I didn't really take much notice. I asked about it and it turned out to be a Tamiya F201, released in I think 2001.

The current crop of F1 cars doesn't appeal to me because they're pan cars, which is a little weird because real F1 is ultra high-tech while r/c pan cars are absolutely opposite. The F201 is really cool because the suspension is a lot closer to the real deal, 4-wheel independent with pushrod actuated shocks. It's also 4 wheel drive, but doesn't give up on the scale looks because of it.

Mine is basically new, looks to have run only a pack or two. The original owner only tack-glued the tires to the rims in a couple of spots per side, which means it likely handled absolutely like poo poo so he probably gave up on it. It was the Williams BMW, but the original body disappeared so it has one from the 3racing F109, which actually fits nicely and looks pretty cool. Original body sets are very pricey. I'll run either a 19 turn brushed motor or maybe a 10.5 brushless - doesn't matter as it's only for fun.

They seem pretty rare, with only a few NIB kits to be found on eBay ($$$), but a number of upgrades are still available. Gonna grab most of the ones available, including the 3racing graphite chassis so I can run proper lipo packs.

It's torn apart right now so no actual pics. This old(er) R/C stuff is cool.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

My local track had a competition setup for F201s for a couple of years. They are a nice looking car, but the suspension arms are soft and snap easily, the tyres could barely grip on them and most people upgraded to a third party carbon chassis, as the plastic one is difficult to work on, and at that time, difficult to find servos, receivers and speedies that would fit the plastic chassis. One of my friends used to pull the cases off his speedy and receiver to fit it into a standard F201 plastic chassis. However with small 2.4GHz receivers and speedies these days, you would not have the same trouble.

I guess the lack of development and TCS series for the F201 killed it off. Sad, cos it is a wonderful looking chassis, and it is kinda sad to see Tamiya going backwards to reviving the F103 chassis for F1. Could never get a F103/104 to handle properly, they are like an old Porsche 911 but with a v10 Dodge Viper motor at the back. Snap oversteer and then some.

iqarus
Mar 31, 2008
iv been wanting to get a 1/5th offroader for quite a while but cant justify the $1200/$1600 of the HPI 5b/5t respectively.

iv been offered a NIB river-hobby super crocodile with 2.4g radio and upgraded gears for $500.

im not going to be racing or upgrading the poo poo out of this thing, its just going to get ripped around a grass oval / park and maybe a BMX track.

will this thing satisfy my curiosity for a small $$ amount, or is it trash and i should get a better one ?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

compressioncut posted:

Bump, and a new car. The LHS has had a used F1 car in it's collection of used stuff for a long time now, and I didn't really take much notice. I asked about it and it turned out to be a Tamiya F201, released in I think 2001.

The current crop of F1 cars doesn't appeal to me because they're pan cars, which is a little weird because real F1 is ultra high-tech while r/c pan cars are absolutely opposite. The F201 is really cool because the suspension is a lot closer to the real deal, 4-wheel independent with pushrod actuated shocks. It's also 4 wheel drive, but doesn't give up on the scale looks because of it.

Mine is basically new, looks to have run only a pack or two. The original owner only tack-glued the tires to the rims in a couple of spots per side, which means it likely handled absolutely like poo poo so he probably gave up on it. It was the Williams BMW, but the original body disappeared so it has one from the 3racing F109, which actually fits nicely and looks pretty cool. Original body sets are very pricey. I'll run either a 19 turn brushed motor or maybe a 10.5 brushless - doesn't matter as it's only for fun.

I had one of these. I think the release date was closer to 2002-2003 as I used one to race in a local Tamiya Championship Series race. I bought the car a week before the race was held, put on some stiffer Tamiya tuning springs, type A belted tires and some electronics. I ended up TQing and winning the race. I still have my TQ Certificate and my gold medal. It is pretty sweet. They do need a bit of massaging to get them to "work right", but for just he occasional buzz around a parking lot, they are freaking sweet.
For kicks I put a handwound 11x3 REEDY modified and watched it fly. That thing was AWESOME. I can only imagine what they would run like with the new LiPO/Brushless stuff.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I had one of these. I think the release date was closer to 2002-2003 as I used one to race in a local Tamiya Championship Series race. I bought the car a week before the race was held, put on some stiffer Tamiya tuning springs, type A belted tires and some electronics. I ended up TQing and winning the race. I still have my TQ Certificate and my gold medal. It is pretty sweet. They do need a bit of massaging to get them to "work right", but for just he occasional buzz around a parking lot, they are freaking sweet.
For kicks I put a handwound 11x3 REEDY modified and watched it fly. That thing was AWESOME. I can only imagine what they would run like with the new LiPO/Brushless stuff.

That's cool as hell.

Yeah, I think you're right on the release and I don't think they were marketed for more than a year or two? Hence the rareness.

There's a setup guide on the Tamiya USA site from the guy who won a big TCS race and the biggest deal is getting rid of slop in the suspension. Easy to do with o-rings under the ball cups, and I could adapt DuBro parts if I was feeling more ambitious. The only slop left after o-ringing is a little from the suspension rockers, so I will definitely need the ballraced 3racing parts there.

The type A tires (soft) are rare as hens teeth these days, but the Bs are pretty common. Apparently running Bs with no insert works OK. I wonder if the rubber tires for the F104 fit the 201 rims?

I'm probably gonna drop a 10.5 BL in it with a simple speed control (probably a Speed Passion Cirtix package), although if I can get a 19 turn brushed setup for cheap I'll go that way. The FDR is about right for motors in that class (7.2 or something), and as you know there isn't a lot of room to change it.

Got the 3racing body sitting pretty nice, just had to trim 1/4" or so off the back body posts. The nose needs a little more massaging and could be fine with a little trimming of the wing, but I'm not too cool hacking up unobtainable parts. Love the scale look of the whole package.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
I've got a giant shaded side yard area with some small tree roots and some 4 or 5 inch tall grass/weeds some small rocks etc. I want to bash around in there (powerslides, jumping over the little ruts and roots, building little brick/plywood ramps etc) but I've been out of the scene for ages can someone help with a to buy list?

I want a 4x4 brushless electric truck with some decent ground clearance and I'd prefer to build it over RTR although I realize that might not happen.

I already have a 2 channel Futaba FM radio with a micro receiver, but I'll need to buy everything else.

Are the Axial rock crawlers any good for this sort of thing or are they only for slowly going over rocks? (this sounds really stupid re-reading it, humor me though) I noticed Tower didn't mention on the info pages for them that you could use them with a brushless setup, are there some trucks you have to use brushed motors on for some reason?

edit: checked out youtube it looks like a brushless emaxx or revo would be cool, are there cheaper options along these lines?

Owsla fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 17, 2010

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Owsla posted:

I want a 4x4 brushless electric truck with some decent ground clearance but not an emaxx type monster truck if possible and I'd prefer to build it over RTR although I realize that might not happen.

Traxxas Slash 4x4 is the easiest choice. The electronics aren't completely crap for an RTR (OK speedo and motor), and spare parts are everywhere. Yes it's an RTR, although I think there are kit versions.

Jammin' SCRT10 http://www.jamminproducts.com/SCRT10.html with one of the 550-size brushless motor systems would also work http://www.teamnovak.com/products/brushless/havocprosc_ball550/index.html

Ofna Hyper10SC http://www.ofna.com/hyper10sc.php

Then you need a charger and batteries - lipo batteries. 2s or 3s. I've had very good success with batteries from Hobby King, and they are dirt cheap - like 1/5 the price of a "brand name" pack that may have been made at the same factory. There are way too many chargers to recommend. The Great Planes chargers are popular.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
I edited my post a little after checking youtube out, honestly though looking at the Slash it looks pretty cool, I worry it might be more for prepped surfaces though do they do ok in roughish yard situations?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Yeah you might want a brushless e-revo for that. The slash isn't for prepped surfaces per-se, but an e-revo can certainly go places the slash can't. I very, very strongly recommend the brushless revo as a buddy of mine has the standard one and it is frankly slow as poo poo. Brushed motors are also a pain in the rear end.

Traxxas stuff is good because like I said, spare parts are extremely common.

In other news, I had to change my 235mm pan car back to 200mm, because I got in some marbles last week and plowed into the end wall at 45mph. That was the end of the chassis plate for the wide car. I will say this - tire truers are wonderful. Cutting the tires way down completely eliminated traction rolling, and I was fully competitive with the 235mm wedge bodied cars. The lovely thing is I forgot my box full of tires at home, so had to run what was on the car and it wasn't the best. I had to run a stiff rear spring to free up the back a bit, which made the car twitchy on the rough-ish track. Still really good despite that, battled for third in the A-main, but couldn't quite hang on. Next week.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Having lots of experience with both the brushless Slash and the brushless E-revo, for what you want, go with the Revo.

The Slash is not nearly as suited for bashing around the yard as the Revo is. The Slash is really built specifically for short course racing, and when you use it outside of that scenario, it really shows that its a purpose built machine. It also has very little clearance with the stock tires, since its meant to run on groomed tracks.

The Revo is basically crazy and unstoppable, and great for bashing. I dont have much experience with the Maxx trucks, just the 2WD Stampede, but everyone seems to love the E-Maxx, and it will probably be a cheaper alternative to the Revo.

Also, as a general statement, I'd say stay with Traxxas if you arent going to be getting into serious racing series and things like that, as the parts availability is second to none.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 19, 2010

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Owsla posted:

I've got a giant shaded side yard area with some small tree roots and some 4 or 5 inch tall grass/weeds some small rocks etc. I want to bash around in there (powerslides, jumping over the little ruts and roots, building little brick/plywood ramps etc) but I've been out of the scene for ages can someone help with a to buy list?

I want a 4x4 brushless electric truck with some decent ground clearance and I'd prefer to build it over RTR although I realize that might not happen.

If you cut the grass/weeds I would definitely take the 4WD Slash. That thing is freaking awesome. If you don't cut the growth, the E-Revo may be the better choice, but running in those conditions will be torture on just about everything from the motor to the driveline.
To say that the 4WD Slash was designed for "racing" is a far cry from what the truck is marketed towards. It is made to pummel constantly and then repeat.
There are no Traxxas unassembled kits, sorry. All of their current line up (sans the Slash Platinum) include a 2.4 GHz radio that is actually kind of cool with the Traxxas Link technology.
Axial stuff likes to go slow, you can "rock race" them, but you will break a million of the lower link ends. I know from experience :(

In the mean time, look what I painted this weekend: (6 1/2 cans of Tamiya spray!)

and a bonus picture of my Honcho on Independence Day (drove it up the rock, did not hand place it for posing)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I still love that crawler. I wish there were places within walking distance of the house or work that I could just drive cars around on :)

Just sold a couple of crawlers (one Axial, one Wheely King supercustom that was never going to work right) so if I spend any time on anything it'll be my scale crawler. I'd like to get some working lights on the Land Rover 90 body I have on it now, I have all the stuff for the project and a copy of an article from one of the magazines...just need to make some time for it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Somewhat Heroic posted:

If you cut the grass/weeds I would definitely take the 4WD Slash. That thing is freaking awesome. If you don't cut the growth, the E-Revo may be the better choice, but running in those conditions will be torture on just about everything from the motor to the driveline.
To say that the 4WD Slash was designed for "racing" is a far cry from what the truck is marketed towards. It is made to pummel constantly and then repeat.
There are no Traxxas unassembled kits, sorry. All of their current line up (sans the Slash Platinum) include a 2.4 GHz radio that is actually kind of cool with the Traxxas Link technology.

I'd say the Slash is definitely marketed towards short course racing, its all over the traxxas website.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

I'd say the Slash is definitely marketed towards short course racing, its all over the traxxas website.

Yeah, but the 4x4 probably less so; there's not much competition in the 4WD SC class, is there?

In other news, I should have a Factory Team SC10 kit on my doorstep tomorrow :iamafag:

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Thanks for the input everyone, the Revo sounds perfect. It'll suck to not build it but I'll get enough wrenching in over time I'm sure.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Trust me, if you drive it like you stole it, you'll get some wrench time in.

You wont be disappointed in the Revo, the brushless ones are crazy.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

In other news, I should have a Factory Team SC10 kit on my doorstep tomorrow :iamafag:

You mean like the one that is chilling at home waiting for me to build it? :whatup:

In other news, I will have a Novak Kinetic ESC tomorrow that will go in either my FT B4 buggy, or my TC5 Sedan. Probably the buggy as it just has an old Sphere Comp that will find a home in my new SC10.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Horrible cameraphone photo ahoy:

Got most of the way done with the transmission...then discovered that my kit is missing its loctite and the only stuff I have around in the garage is red loctite, which means I'll never get it apart again. Time to hit up a shop tomorrow for some blue stuff!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Doubleposting because there's no such thing as too much R/C goodness. Too bad the latest any hobbyshop stays open around here on a weekday night is 7PM, so no Loctite or tire glue for me :argh:

AE's V2 shocks are soooo much easier to build than the TC3 shocks or the old rear end shocks on the gold-tub RC10. Hell, even the Losi shocks. Their overall manufacturing quality has gone down a bit, though; I've had to file and grind on more parts on this one kit than both of the TC3s I put together combined.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Am I just talking to myself in here? :v:

Got the truck together finally and puttered it around the kitchen floor - whole setup now is a Factory Team SC10, Novak Havoc 2S ESC and SS 13.5 brushless, the 3PM and 603FF I bought off of Kuffs (works great!), an old Hitec 605MG servo from ~10 years ago, and an AMB personal transponder I picked up the other day on eBay. Oh, and a few Turnigy 5200 hardcase lipos.

After I got it all squared away I spent the rest of the night finally cleaning it all off of the kitchen table and reorganizing my toolbox - no need to carry TC3 / RC12 specific stuff in it when I'm running the SC10.

So now I just need to get the body painted, trimmed, and assembled, and spend some time doing fine adjustments on the ride height, camber, toe, diff, and slipper. Might head to the track sometime next week for that.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

IOwnCalculus posted:

Am I just talking to myself in here? :v:

I think everyone but me is out actually racing/driving their toy cars.

Someone talk me out of buying the Mini Trophy. Please.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Is there such a thing as an R/C demolition derby? Because that would be awesome to watch :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

krushgroove posted:

I think everyone but me is out actually racing/driving their toy cars.

Makes sense.

Sloppy: Sure, it's called "give a bunch of hacks 10-turn motors" :v: I came across one of the few destroyed parts I ever had on a TC3 - a demolished suspension arm from the short time I decided I wanted to give mod racing a try.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah I was going to say Sportsman Mod TC. On an indoor track with hard barriers, and I mean 4x4's screwed together.

Although Mini Mod was fun - I tried out the HPI 2-speed on it for the one and only time. Not enough testing time to get it to work.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sloppy posted:

Is there such a thing as an R/C demolition derby? Because that would be awesome to watch :v:
Yeah, it is usually the Tamiya 1/10 Mini class.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

You Am I posted:

Yeah, it is usually the Tamiya 1/10 Mini class.

Or any D-main.

The club set up a track in a lacrosse box this weekend, so it was nice and big. Also next to a large concession stand and beer garden so it was all around great. But the surface was like running on coarse sandpaper - lots of grip but absolutely brutal on foam tires. I completely wore out 3 sets of fronts, and while the lilac rears I ran for almost the whole day hardly wore at all, the pinks I put on for the main disintegrated. That's basically $100 worth of tires...

Another guy had some new soft fronts for the main and wore them right down to the rim. In 5 minutes. And that's on 1200 gram electric cars, the nitro sedan guys were even worse.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Foams are why I stopped running nitro, even for fun.

Granted, one-run off-road mini-pins are worse, and rubber tires on touring cars are just slightly better.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sloppy posted:

For me its called 1/10 Monster Open class. I swear I went through like 6 bearing carriers.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I finally got my Revo up and running tonight and went through close to a quart of nitro through various runs throughout the night.

I did learn one important lesson in a wide open parking lot, and that is: From a dead stop, to about 40 - 60ft, your typical Dodge Charger police interceptor will get it's rear end positively handed to it by a stock Revo 3.3

That was utterly hilarious, and the reason I love local cops. He clocked it doing some runs, then had me and my friends line up the Revo next to his Charger and do a run. When that little fucker grabs second, it hauls rear end.

I'm suddenly understanding why this is such a fun and easy hobby to get sucked into. And I already want to make it go even faster so I can take it to my local strip and mess with the guys running built Mustangs and Camaros. "You've got a built 302? Yeah i'm running a 3.3cc motor. Bet I can take you off the line :v: "

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
http://vimeo.com/9056286

Arcade racer using rc cars

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

kuffs posted:

http://vimeo.com/9056286

Arcade racer using rc cars

I would play the poo poo out of that.

Also, why in the hell do I keep getting tempted to buy a Tamiya Hornet kit? It's only like $140 new but it's $140 i do not need to spend.

But it's so cool :shobon:

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

T1g4h posted:

From a dead stop, to about 40 - 60ft, your typical Dodge Charger police interceptor will get it's rear end positively handed to it by a stock Revo 3.3

"You've got a built 302? Yeah i'm running a 3.3cc motor. Bet I can take you off the line :v: "

Reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsUpup13azw

I've gotten more into planes lately, but I started out with radio control with a TRX-1 (still a pretty sweet vehicle) many years ago. I'm thinking about restoring that old car with new electronics and seeing what it can do...I wonder what a nice powerful aircraft brushless motor would do to it? Also, the TRX-1 is currently running truck tires on the rear because I couldn't find the original sort of in-between-size buggy wheels with the funky pin drive. Any idea where I could buy actual replacements?

orange lime fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 29, 2010

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You know if there's any other guys flying RC planes in AI? I'm getting back into planes as well, and resurrecting my Slow Stick with a brushless/2.4ghz setup.

Cant wait!! Have to take the Stampede out for a run at the local bashing spot so she doesnt get jealous though.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Click here for the full 675x405 image.

i'm wanting to pick up that body for my Revo, or the 80's Blazer one. Was just wondering, can anyone tell me what wheels those are? I really like the look of them, and would love to pick up a set of 4 to go with the Topkick or Blazer body.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Check Pro-Line's site. They're definitely Pro-lines because it's a promo pic for a Pro-Line body.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

krushgroove posted:

Check Pro-Line's site. They're definitely Pro-lines because it's a promo pic for a Pro-Line body.

Haha, don't know why I didn't think of that sooner. Thanks man, turns out they're Pro-Line Tech 5's. Think I'm gonna pick up some of those at some point :)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

T1g4h posted:

Haha, don't know why I didn't think of that sooner. Thanks man, turns out they're Pro-Line Tech 5's. Think I'm gonna pick up some of those at some point :)

Yeah, those are the tech 5's, which is a "40 Series" size tire with the Big Joes. They just did a pre-mount setup of those tires/wheels this month.

In the meantime, I am trying to find out what the hell these little buggies picture here are:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
First I've seen of those (they look neat!) but it's funny how Yokomo has no middle ground: just expensive racing kits or expensive toy-level cars. Their R&D budget must be crippling.