Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

downtown_man posted:

Holy Shhhit

http://gizmodo.com/5597729/45-yard-sale-find-turns-out-to-be-200-million-worth-of-ansel-adams-photos

Lost Ansel Adams negatives found at yard sale for $45

So I know a long time San Francisco photo assistant who was working for a photographer in the late 80s who owed him like $2000 or something for shoots he had worked. The photographer was broke and offered him a print that Ansel himself had given him back in the day instead of money, and he took it.

I saw him at a bar a few months ago and he said he had gotten it appraised for $60k+ recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Alvination posted:

I want to go to more garage sales.

poo poo, that makes that mint-in-box Atari 2600 I got from a garage sale for $5 seem less of a great steal.

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.

brad industry posted:

So I know a long time San Francisco photo assistant who was working for a photographer in the late 80s who owed him like $2000 or something for shoots he had worked. The photographer was broke and offered him a print that Ansel himself had given him back in the day instead of money, and he took it.

I can't imagine doing that. I imagine selling my TV, computer, laptop etc. first. Esp. for just $2000 bucks.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Well so much for the legitamacy of the Ansel Adams negatives found at a garage sale:

http://blog.taragana.com/science/2010/07/27/lawyer-negatives-verified-as-ansel-adams-lost-work-but-photographers-heirs-skeptical-19425/

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 28, 2010

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I doubt, even if the negatives are Adams', they're worth such an obscene amount of money for the reason given in the article and by his grandson: Negatives, especially the way Adams approached them, don't contain the photo. Without Adams doing the printing, it's simply not an Adams photos.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

rcman50166 posted:

Well so much for the legitamacy of the Ansel Adams prints found at a garage sale:

http://blog.taragana.com/science/2010/07/27/lawyer-negatives-verified-as-ansel-adams-lost-work-but-photographers-heirs-skeptical-19425/

Old news. Plus I wouldn't exactly call "blog.taragana.com" a reputable news source.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Bojanglesworth posted:

Old news. Plus I wouldn't exactly call "blog.taragana.com" a reputable news source.

Well it's not exactly the biggest news, so its hard to find if you're lazy like me. I saw the story on CNN during lunch. So I was just looking for the fastest result in google that had the information I was trying to share.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

rcman50166 posted:

Well so much for the legitamacy of the Ansel Adams negatives found at a garage sale:

I'm looking forward to the upcoming documentary "Who the $#%@ is Ansel Adams." The arguments against the authenticity ring pretty hollow to me. They make it sound like other person in California great depression was hauling a large format camera and some glass negative up to Yosemite every weekend.

Linked Article posted:

Turnage called that figure ridiculous because the value of Adams’ work is in his darkroom handcrafting of the prints, and said the negatives are next to worthless.

"Pfffft. Negatives? All you have are negatives? Worthless I tell you. But I'm a nice guy so I'll go ahead and throw them away for you so you can go drown your sorrows."

Batcat! Batcat!
Dec 21, 2009

BeastOfExmoor posted:

"Pfffft. Negatives? All you have are negatives? Worthless I tell you. But I'm a nice guy so I'll go ahead and throw them away for you so you can go drown your sorrows."

The point is basing the value of negatives on the price fetched by prints made by Adams himself is wrong.

If they are authentic they are definitely not worthless, but hardly $200 000 000 either.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Why the gently caress does the crop tool in Photoshop suck so bad when Lightroom's is absolutely awesome?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Why the gently caress does the crop tool in Photoshop suck so bad when Lightroom's is absolutely awesome?

How can one crop too be far superior than another? I use both programs and I don't notice that one sucks incredibly bad...

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Bojanglesworth posted:

How can one crop too be far superior than another? I use both programs and I don't notice that one sucks incredibly bad...

• Crop to a defined ratio (very useful if cropping for printing purposes).
  • Rotates the photo so that you're always seeing a level view (I find leveling horizons is much easier in Lightroom for this reason).
  • Doesn't let you drag outside of the "canvas" thereby creating a crop with blank space in it.

fake edit: Ok, it apparently does do the first thing, it's just not very obvious.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Have you tried holding down CTRL while dragging?

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

BeastOfExmoor posted:

• Crop to a defined ratio (very useful if cropping for printing purposes).
  • Rotates the photo so that you're always seeing a level view (I find leveling horizons is much easier in Lightroom for this reason).
  • Doesn't let you drag outside of the "canvas" thereby creating a crop with blank space in it.

fake edit: Ok, it apparently does do the first thing, it's just not very obvious.

It also lets you do the third thing if you drag the sides of the crop box after initially setting the crop and there is a whole other tool for rotating the entire scene.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
You can also hit F to change the screen mode and you can crop outside of the canvas.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

[*]Rotates the photo so that you're always seeing a level view (I find leveling horizons is much easier in Lightroom for this reason).

In Photoshop, select the ruler and measure your desired horizon. There should be a button at the top of the screen that says "Straighten" now, or something like that. I don't have PS open in front of me.

It's just one additional step. Granted it's not as intuitive as LR's.

robertdx
Mar 15, 2005

Lens slap
I wish I knew enough about Photoshop / Lightroom to start a tips/tricks thread. I'm still trying to learn keyboard shortcuts.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Another great piece from Luminous Landscape :v:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/trecking.shtml

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

robertdx posted:

I wish I knew enough about Photoshop / Lightroom to start a tips/tricks thread. I'm still trying to learn keyboard shortcuts.

The "Lightroom Queen" hasn't released her shortcut list for LR3 yet, but this is her one from LR2.

http://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom/lightroom_shortcuts_win_20.pdf

It's got a lot of nifty things that you might have never known about, so it's nice to glance at once or twice to try learning some new things.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
This is awesome.

http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/shooting_robert_king/

War Photographer documentary.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

spog posted:

I'm not sure of the correct answer, cause I cannot understand the problem fully, but in this case, I would do a simple test:

Pick an image, got into explorer and drag it from its location and onto the desktop.

Then run LR and see what happens when you browse to that image.

If it is missing, then you've screwed up. If LR seems happy, then you can got ahead and move all the NEFs to a folder elsewhere for a week, then delete them (to be on the safe side)

hey thanks, that seems like a good way to go about it. I just thought it was a little weird that a) LR was keeping copies around, and b) storing them in the Public folder, which could be shared with the wider internet depending on how things are set up. It looks like I can just remove them and no ill comes of it.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
This is an interesting article on how DOF is a property of the magnification of the subject, NOT the focal length of the lens.

The guy sets up a series of targets and keeps the main one at the same size at focal lengths from 400 all the way down to 17. The aperture remained constant and the result is that the DOF was identical in every shot. Of course you're still going to get more dramatic bokeh with a long lens because of distance compression, but the fact that DOF is magnification dependent is important to remember when composing shots.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/dof2.shtml

Article posted:

In fact, if the subject image size remains the same, then at any given aperture all lenses will give the same depth of field.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I love distance compression. It's such a mindfuck. I was messing around with it with a Canon S90 yesterday.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

HPL posted:

I love distance compression. It's such a mindfuck. I was messing around with it with a Canon S90 yesterday.

Steven Spielberg really blew a lot of minds when he did the dolly zoom on the beach in "Jaws". Such a great effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_zoom

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

McMadCow posted:

This is an interesting article on how DOF is a property of the magnification of the subject, NOT the focal length of the lens.

The guy sets up a series of targets and keeps the main one at the same size at focal lengths from 400 all the way down to 17. The aperture remained constant and the result is that the DOF was identical in every shot. Of course you're still going to get more dramatic bokeh with a long lens because of distance compression, but the fact that DOF is magnification dependent is important to remember when composing shots.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/dof2.shtml

But the background at 17mm is a lot sharper than at 28mm. Seems like a "gotcha!" that relies on a technicality.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Beastruction posted:

But the background at 17mm is a lot sharper than at 28mm.

It appears sharper because it's smaller. The point of the article is that if you zoomed in on that smaller object, it would be just as blurry as it is at 400mm when it's all embiggened.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

HPL posted:

It appears sharper because it's smaller. The point of the article is that if you zoomed in on that smaller object, it would be just as blurry as it is at 400mm when it's all embiggened.

Exactly. The DOF remained constant throughout all those shots regardless of the shape of the bokeh.

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

McMadCow posted:

Steven Spielberg really blew a lot of minds when he did the dolly zoom on the beach in "Jaws". Such a great effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_zoom

I had no idea that was how that effect was created. Thanks. Seems like it would be fantastically hard to get right/smooth.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Hop Pocket posted:

I had no idea that was how that effect was created. Thanks. Seems like it would be fantastically hard to get right/smooth.

It's actually really easy to do if you run through it a few times. The first time I ever made a short on Super 8 (zombie movie, of course), we did a dolly zoom. Start zoomed in, walk towards the subject pulling wide so that the subject stays the same size. Instant exploding background!

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I think the article is boss because of Gizmo, he's so cute.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
This is pretty rad:
Stanford's Frankencamera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq-bWm6WpMo&feature=player_embedded

Programmable API (Linux/C++), Realtime HDR, in-camera panoramic stitching, gyroscope, and all sorts of other nerdery.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 30, 2010

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

HPL posted:

I guess I just don't see the use of thinking of depth of field in those terms. If you zoom in far enough anything will be blurry, but there's always an intended final size that determines what counts as sharp. If you blew up the 17mm shot until the background appeared as blurry as the others, you'd have to blow up the others to keep the subject the same size and there would still be a difference.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Beastruction posted:

I guess I just don't see the use of thinking of depth of field in those terms. If you zoom in far enough anything will be blurry, but there's always an intended final size that determines what counts as sharp. If you blew up the 17mm shot until the background appeared as blurry as the others, you'd have to blow up the others to keep the subject the same size and there would still be a difference.

What you're talking about is why people generally go by "the longer the lens, the more shallow the DOF." Which obviously isn't technically true, but is still a perfectly good guidepost for practical purposes.
The point of the article is to think of your DOF coming from the apparent magnification of the subject, not from the focal length of the lens you're using.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

This is pretty rad:
Stanford's Frankencamera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq-bWm6WpMo&feature=player_embedded

Programmable API (Linux/C++), Realtime HDR, in-camera panoramic stitching, gyroscope, and all sorts of other nerdery.

And hey! Two hot shoes!

brad industry
May 22, 2004

McMadCow posted:

It's actually really easy to do if you run through it a few times. The first time I ever made a short on Super 8 (zombie movie, of course), we did a dolly zoom. Start zoomed in, walk towards the subject pulling wide so that the subject stays the same size. Instant exploding background!

Yeah I actually just tried this recently with my crappy $50 DIY dolly and it took like 2 tries to get it right/really smooth.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
When I was volunteering at a local public access cable channel, I found a cool little device that syncs the dolly motion with the zoom ring motor on the lens. You could set it for either direction so you could get background compression or expansion.

That was at least two hours worth of entertainment.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Its really awesome doing it looking down like in Vertigo.

Works so well

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

downtown_man posted:

Holy Shhhit

http://gizmodo.com/5597729/45-yard-sale-find-turns-out-to-be-200-million-worth-of-ansel-adams-photos

Lost Ansel Adams negatives found at yard sale for $45

Seems that they might not be his after all and Uncle Earl took them.

http://www.petapixel.com/2010/07/29/ansel-adams-garage-sale-mystery-apparently-solved/

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
So I just visited about 8 used camera stores in Tokyo, Ginza and Shinjuku areas. All I wanted to buy was a Hasselblad/Carl Zeiss 38mm Biogon Fisheye and an Nikkor 8mm Fisheye.

Not one of them had either. Although one of them had the 6mm Fisheye that I looked at the price of but refused to comprehend it after seeing the amount of zeroes. So I'm a little disappointed.

Sure, they have everything from 16mm to 200 plus primes. And they have multiples of each. For example, I saw on the same shelf, 28mm F/1.8, F/2, F/2.8, F/3.5, then starting again with the 35mm and then 50mm and then 55mm, 6#mm and the jump to 85mm and running through all the possible F/stop values. All used but in great condition, all reasonably priced. Basically every lens you could imagine bar anything you want.

And for Hasselblad, they had everything up from 50mm. I have a 40mm and I want a 38 fisheye, but both must be rarish. And they do have rare poo poo, I saw a Hasselblad mount zoom lens which I didn't think existed. It was huge.

That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!
Does anyone have a link to the pro photographer's pimp direct mail piece, that had custom boxes and cigars and coffee mug stained postcards? I can't find it again and wanted to show someone.