Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Funny story, one of the books visible in this picture was called out by name as insane/less than useful in the big "welcome to law school (3 weeks in advance)" e-mail I got this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

The Warszawa posted:

Funny story, one of the books visible in this picture was called out by name as insane/less than useful in the big "welcome to law school (3 weeks in advance)" e-mail I got this week.
Which one?

I am genuinely curious, as I agonized over which books to buy for my 0L prep regimen, and those pictured come "gunner approved".

Please indulge me, I beg of you. I am not being sarcastic.

Edit: Is it "Law School Insider"? Cause that book is BS - one guy went to Cornell and wrote a book. I am fighting in a higher weight class, to be certain.

IzzyFnStradlin fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 31, 2010

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

job posting posted:

The Blah Firm is looking for a law clerk who is eager to learn about litigation and enjoys being a team player. The clerk will be required to do a variety of different types of legal work inside and outside the office. A strong work ethic and ability to balance many tasks and responsibilities are required. The firm is looking for someone who is dependable and passionate. No egomaniacs, lose the attitude, be willing to work hard, mind your manners, be able to laugh at yourself and, most importantly, don't throw people under the bus! Interested students, please e-mail a cover letter and resume to Blah at blah@blah.com.

What could that part even mean? How would a law clerk "throw people under the bus!"

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Reporting ethical violations?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Which one?

I am genuinely curious, as I agonized over which books to buy for my 0L prep regimen, and those pictured come "gunner approved".

Please indulge me, I beg of you. I am not being sarcastic.

Edit: Is it "Law School Insider"? Cause that book is BS - one guy went to Cornell and wrote a book. I am fighting in a higher weight class, to be certain.

Law School Confidential, actually.

You do realize that "gunner approved" is a pejorative, right?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sexual harassment is such a vague term, let's not make a big thing of it

The Warszawa posted:

I got that book as a gift. I only skimmed it but I think it opens with "don't go to law school if you don't want to be a lawyer" so how bad could it be?

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

The Warszawa posted:

Granted, I haven't actually been to law school, but Confidential is superior to Insider, and comes with cautioned approval from TLS. Perhaps you are too eager to drink to adcom kool-aid, or going to a school too smart to care.

In any case, I read it on a Saturday, hungover. Thus far, LEEWS and Getting To Maybe have been the best prep, and the Bluebook elicited a chortle or ten.

Edit: Also, I contacted the library and got early electronic access to old 1L exams. Printed those babies out and have 'em on file. That is useful prep.

IzzyFnStradlin fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 31, 2010

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Granted, I haven't actually been to law school, but Confidential is superior to Insider, and comes with cautioned approval from TLS. Perhaps you are too eager to drink to adcom kool-aid, or going to a school too smart to care.

In any case, I read it on a Saturday, hungover. Thus far, LEEWS and Getting To Maybe have been the best prep, and the Bluebook elicited a chortle or ten.

Edit: Also, I contacted the library and got early electronic access to old 1L exams. Printed those babies out and have 'em on file. That is useful prep.

How are you assessing "best prep?" I mean, you haven't gone to law school (neither have I, I'm a 0L too) so how would you judge what prepares you best? Unless you mean that it makes you feel prepared, like a lucky rabbit's foot or some other emotional talisman.

Edit: Whoa, what school gave you early access to exams? I've never heard of that happening.

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 31, 2010

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

The Warszawa posted:

How are you assessing "best prep?" I mean, you haven't gone to law school (neither have I, I'm a 0L too) so how would you judge what prepares you best? Unless you mean that it makes you feel prepared, like a lucky rabbit's foot or some other emotional talisman.
Most books offer self-apparent advice. The best books, by my estimation, are the ones that prepare you - directly and indirectly - for the exams. After all, that's what it is all about.

The Warszawa posted:

Edit: Whoa, what school gave you early access to exams? I've never heard of that happening.
Perhaps I misspoke. My understanding is that nearly every school's law library keeps old exams on file, some electronically and others on paper. I simply contacted my school's head law librarian and asked for early access to their online database of old exams. Thus, while my colleagues scramble, I will have them indexed and on hand. It's the little things, I imagine.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Most books offer self-apparent advice. The best books, by my estimation, are the ones that prepare you - directly and indirectly - for the exams. After all, that's what it is all about.

Perhaps I misspoke. My understanding is that nearly every school's law library keeps old exams on file, some electronically and others on paper. I simply contacted my school's head law librarian and asked for early access to their online database of old exams. Thus, while my colleagues scramble, I will have them indexed and on hand. It's the little things, I imagine.

No, I understood what you meant with regard to the databases, but I was surprised to hear that the school didn't impose the precondition of official matriculation or course registration.

Also, that you felt the need to get those exams 6 months in advance, before having sat through a class with the professor that would teach the subject.

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 31, 2010

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000
and once you discover outline banks that bookshelf will just gather dust

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

The Warszawa posted:

No, I understood what you meant with regard to the databases, but I was surprised to hear that the school didn't impose the precondition of official matriculation or course registration.
Post-BA, the best lesson I learned is that people absolutely love when you approach then with humility, sincerity, and grace.

The Warszawa posted:

Also, that you felt the need to get those exams 6 months in advance, before having sat through a class with the professor that would teach the subject.
I wasn't telling you the whole story. I found out that ex-military jerk-offs were able to obtain their section assignments because of some government bullshit. I concluded, then, that we ALL must be assigned. Accordingly, I contacted the registrar and was able to obtain my section assignment and, thus, schedule. Naturally, it took some wrangling, but nothing a Yalie with 5 real-world years couldn't handle.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Post-BA, the best lesson I learned is that people absolutely love when you approach then with humility, sincerity, and grace.

Yeah, but that doesn't explain why they'd give them to you.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

If that fails, consider calling them the n-word

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

If that fails, consider calling them the n-word
To be certain, many American blacks find it refreshing.

In other words, they are all imagining that we are thinking it anyway.

It is kind of like this double-parallel universe: American black have been so conditioned by white racism that they think that white racism is omnipresent.

Catch-22.

Thus, when dealing with American Blacks, just smile and act dumb. They will then attribute your carriage to in-breeding and/or just general stupidity.

Of course, if you have big lips, you are in like Flynn.

For, you see, most white people have thin lips. Doubly true for southern whites - ie, slave owners.

Now, I have big, thick lips that rival the most black of black men.

Thus, they treat me like their own.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Tell me more!

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Tell me more!
Well, black men artificially lower their voice, but it is completely cultural.

Much like white men from the midwest artificially raise the pitch of their voice.

Now, me, I have a naturally deep voice (and big lips, as I said earlier).

I also have very fair skin.

This puts me in a unique potion.

From what I have observed, black guys hate me, but - strangely - black women love me.

It is something having to do with cultural cues combined with physical feeling. I don't know. I can't parse it.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Draile posted:

Ben's Chili Bowl is hugely overrated

Draile posted:

Five Guys is delicious

Ahahahaha. No.

Just...no.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

When you say black women love you, do you mean sexually, or on a more intimate and spiritual, romantic level?

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

When you say black women love you, do you mean sexually, or on a more intimate and spiritual, romantic level?
I'd primarily say spiritually, as anytime I encounter one at a drive-thru or a ticketbox, they always call me "sweetie" or "sweatheart" or some variation.

But, in point of fact, there is this kind of unspoken understanding between us.

You see, I did a radio show that dealt exclusively in 1960s black girl group soul.

I did it for like 3 years.

Nothing but 1960s girl groups.

So, in a way, I think I kind of carry that with me. Like an unspoken understanding.

And, as you probably know, most of these songs dealt with single black women issues.

So, by proxy, I kind of "get it".

And, I imagine, the black women I encounter in my daily jaunts "understand" it, consciously or unconscionably.

For example: I went to the movies today, and the ticketaker was a large (obese) black woman. Well, we talked for a good 15 minutes about this and that! And we were only cut off when some black guy came over and tried to prance dominant male.

So, that is how my life goes!

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/072910sanderyakowitz.pdf

quote:

The consistent theme we find throughout this analysis is that performance in law school – as measured by law school grades – is the most important predictor of career success. It is decisively more important than law school “eliteness.”

. . . .

As an illustrative hypothetical, imagine an average student (GPA 3.25-3.5) at 47th ranked University of Florida. Using the fifth column from Table 11 (AJD regressions on salary), we can predict how her earnings would be affected under various counterfactuals. If she had attended 20th ranked George Washington University, her grades likely would have slipped to the 2.75-3.0 range, and her salary would drop considerably (by 22%, all other factors held constant.) Even if she had managed to get a spot at 7th ranked UC Berkeley, where the tier premiums are highest, her grades likely would have fallen into the 2.5-2.75 range, and her salary would be 7% lower. On the other hand, if she had attended 80th ranked Rutgers, she probably could have improved her grades to land in the 3.5-3.75 range, and earned a 13% higher salary.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
makes complete sense. my parents are retard lawyers and they make poo poo money but we are middle class, so okay.

similarly, my uncle went to BU or BC (i can never remember which one) and never did Biglaw and practices in NY and makes like 200k i guess, but is still a loving failure.

meanwhile, i am going to h?c in three weeks and you see me sweating? DONT THINK SO!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Does it take into account that better ranked schools artificially inflate their GPA, so that you'd literally have to be a retard to graduate with below a 3.3?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Someone please get grumblefish and izzy to start arguing with each other it will be a perpetual motion thread dynamo

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Elotana posted:

Someone please get grumblefish and izzy to start arguing with each other it will be a perpetual motion thread dynamo

That or they're the same person.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Izzy, tell us more of your art.

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh
People ask me all the time if I have plans to study abroad in the US/work there. It's getting a bit hard to answer without being really snappy about it.

Speaking of which, the actual numbers behind the racial bias inherent to the US justice system are pretty amazing:

http://www.pslweb.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=14289&news_iv_ctrl=1261

Now I just need to find something like this for northern Europe to compare it to.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I will note the upside of law school (I would note you shouldn't go to law school).
I'm in the city I went to law school in and met up with my law school friends. Those guys are really among the bets friends I've had. Misery does build some great friendship.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I, on the other hand, have not spoken to a law school classmate in nearly a year. Every now and then I'll post a whiny facebook status and get a like or two but that's about the extent of the fruits of my networking

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Chances are if you made some of your best friends in law school you could have made at least as many living free during those years.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Angry Midwesterner posted:

Chances are if you made some of your best friends in law school you could have made at least as many living free during those years.

I've been in too long. I don't know how to operate on the outside anymore.

*Carves username into ceiling beam at hotel*

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

How are they measuring for law schools with grading scales best described as babytown frolics? For example, HYS's h/p/lp/lol scale.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

The Warszawa posted:

How are they measuring for law schools with grading scales best described as babytown frolics? For example, HYS's h/p/lp/lol scale.

I've taken judicial notice that every time a law school does this, they always have 4-5 possible grades in addition to the A+ equivalent. There's not a special snowflake top school out there except maybe Chicago that doesn't easily convert to 4.0.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

holybartender posted:

I'm told that is, and Five Guys.

Those are everywhere thought. But we're going to Hell Burger and Ben's Chili Bowl.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

JudicialRestraints posted:

I've been in too long. I don't know how to operate on the outside anymore.

*Carves username into ceiling beam at hotel*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoUJh9L9r9U

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

The Warszawa posted:

I think I'd be cool with a grade of 'lol.'

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Daico posted:

I think I'd be cool with a grade of 'lol.'

"lots of law"

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Ainsley McTree posted:

"lots of law"

sorry, there is no law in law school

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh

evilweasel posted:

so are you quitting law school or no, I remember you said you were deciding based on this summer
Heh honestly I'm less sure now than ever. I'd always been leaning toward quitting, and I even felt like I'd finally made The Decision a couple weeks ago - but now in the last week or so I've been vacillating several times a day. Gonna take this one to double-overtime :cool:

Lykourgos posted:

The prosecutor will tell the def atty and judge if he knows the defendant is innocent.
laffo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.
School's done. No job yet, but a couple prospects.