Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sam_I_Am
Feb 4, 2007

I do not like your green cuisine. I find your green cuisine obscene.

Hungry Gerbil posted:

The XP penalty is a good incentive to be scared of dying.
I'm personally not a fan of xp-loss. I think it's no fun to have one player be less useful in combat, rolls, etc. Whether fair or not, I think it's less fun.

What I'd do is work-out something with the player. If they're willing to play a morose, tortured, damaged character, plagued by nightmares or whatever, you could make the changes from the medivat regen-process real and game-changing, without crippling them mechanically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008

Angry Midwesterner posted:

Inapplicable (typically) in Star Wars. Even when it's genre appropriate, depending on player access to the spell and the costs the edition/homerules impose on it, it may not represent much in the way of consequences.

edit: I must admit I would be all for a raise dead spell (or re-animation technology that is functionally identical to magic) that brings people back not quite as lurching zombies, but in some state of putrid decay or with minor brain damage.
One method I've used in the past is to have the player's characters go into (if available) a heavy medical facility and have their brain kept alive, but their body is too broken to be used. They are put into a cyborg (yes, I know Saga has no specific rules for it) at which point you have the option of having them play basically the same character (with maybe some sort of quirk and/or ion vulnerability) or you can let them make a Droid character, which is lots of fun, except without the pesky computer brain. So basically, they are able to roleplay the same character but they functionally have a new character to play.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

If you wanted to be more Star Warsy you could even have a side plot related to Spaarti clones. Cloning in the EU is pretty much universally (haha) terrible but I think a good GM could make it work.
What was the failed Survival roll that lead to a death? That is pretty brutal.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Karandras posted:

What was the failed Survival roll that lead to a death? That is pretty brutal.

Just the standard unconsciousness roll. After something like ten rounds of being brought to zero hit points, they're supposed to roll a con check (which I secretly rolled a few rounds ahead of time to see if I would need to find a way to intervene), a fail by 5 or more is death, with nothing to be done for it unless you happen to have an ally standing right there with a med kit ready to go with a full round Revive action. A creative reading of the rules might allow for them to burn a Force point to stay breathing (strictly speaking, that's only to initially avoid dying if you get brought to 0 hp by an attack that beats your damage threshold), but I just went for the "Villain revives you and says he's letting you live to deliver a message."

The worst part is this was the result of an encounter with a significantly lower level group of opponents. Albeit ones statted out in an official WotC adventure to be swinging way too much Force lightning.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Oh right yeah, I thought you meant the Survival skill. Like, "oh hey you land in the tattooine desert, roll survival! Oh you only got a 6? welp, no food and water for you, here is a blank character sheet".

I skimmed the revive rules for first aid, it is pretty harsh if it is only the round after. Maybe you could change it to con modifier of rounds or something to help with that?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

It is harsh, but either way doesn't really address the problem for me because it's still coming down to a winner-take-all roll. Succeed and go on your merry way or die (what is often) a bullshit, plot-hurting death.

The cyborg and clone stuff could be useful though.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Well, it does add an extra "winner takes all" roll to the end of it if your party wasn't regularly getting the revive save.
Yeah, having players die sucks but having them be impossible to kill is equally unenjoyable.

Did you want to go the resurrection penalties for clones route? Simple things like requiring frequent medical checks, grafts etc (A comparison to having an unreliable ship requiring mechanics checks regularly) are non-crippling but flavourful. Adding a constant need to clone more organs etc as your body breaks down adds a cool element to the character.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Yeah, I'm thinking that's the way to go.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Flaws are cool, XP penalties are stupid, Communist XP for lyfe.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I agree, and take it a step further. No XP at all. Just tell the players when to level up. Level advancement (or skill progression or however a given system swings it) is really there to keep the mechanics interesting, so it's best left as a matter of judgment of when to level the group to avoid stagnation. Frankly, attaching XP rewards to various stuff is a little insulting. I don't see why we should need a bribe to play well/interestingly.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

The only game I'm in right now is Weekly Werewolf so my brain isn't working in terms of levels lately, but "level when it makes sense" is a pretty great way to go about things :respek:

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Well, XP and XP penalties work for my group. You also have to keep in mind that you earn more XP if you are on a lower level. That means players catch up to the group sooner or later. Are your players all crybabies that cannot live with the consequences of dying?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

They can handle it but we all want those consequences to be interesting.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Yeah, I skip the book keeping of XP and just level my players when it is appropriate (Generally every 2 sessions or so but at the end of a "mission" when possible) so that XP penalty for being a lower level doesn't work. Also if you have drastically different levels it makes combat super awkward but it is fun narratively sometimes (Jedi with a Padawan, for example)

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Well, I don't want to force you to use XP, but don't call it stupid if it doesn't work for you. It's a perfectly fine system if applied correctly.

Dire Penguin
Jun 17, 2006

The reason it doesn't work for him is because it's stupid. :owned: :ssj:

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
It isn't. I'm right and you are wrong. :colbert:

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
rather than killing off dudes just knock them out, force them to have that character in a bacta tank for a while, lop off limbs and make them get new, robot limbs. The films suggest that a shitload of fatal injuries are totally survivable if you are willing to become more machine than man or spend a week in a jar.

Or figure out a way to introduce new characters in advance so that it doesn't stop the whole game when somebody dies and you need to figure out what is next.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Well, I don't want to force you to use XP, but don't call it stupid if it doesn't work for you. It's a perfectly fine system if applied correctly.

You realize I was the one that said that, and you're talking to more than one person right? XP penalties are still stupid, but it's ok if you use them, I won't tell the fun police. My basic issue with it is that XP loss is punishing the player rather than the character, which is dumb. I like me some challenging game just as much as the next guy, but having players with characters at disparate power levels doesn't sound super fun.

Liesmith posted:

rather than killing off dudes just knock them out, force them to have that character in a bacta tank for a while, lop off limbs and make them get new, robot limbs. The films suggest that a shitload of fatal injuries are totally survivable if you are willing to become more machine than man or spend a week in a jar.

yeah like that crazy nigga with four arms who's mostly robot and all that's left is his heart

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pharmaskittle posted:

I won't tell the fun police.

You already have I'm the fun police. Eat poo poo funhavers you're going to the bighouse

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Pharmaskittle posted:

You realize I was the one that said that, and you're talking to more than one person right? XP penalties are still stupid, but it's ok if you use them, I won't tell the fun police. My basic issue with it is that XP loss is punishing the player rather than the character, which is dumb. I like me some challenging game just as much as the next guy, but having players with characters at disparate power levels doesn't sound super fun.

Uh, that wasn't directed at you. And yes, if the gap between players gets too big, it's no fun any more. But in general you lose a level and are at half XP to the next level and you gain quite a bit more XP than the other players. And after one or two evenings the player is back at the same level as the rest of the group. The amount of XP loss should be adjusted according to the speed of leveling.

Riidi WW
Sep 16, 2002

by angerbeet

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Uh, that wasn't directed at you. And yes, if the gap between players gets too big, it's no fun any more. But in general you lose a level and are at half XP to the next level
Putting you between half a level and one and a half levels behind.

quote:

and you gain quite a bit more XP than the other players.
The difference between what a level 9 and level 10 character receives is minuscule.

quote:

And after one or two evenings the player is back at the same level as the rest of the group.
Actually, he isn't. Unless you're fudging the math the dude who got raised is going to be behind the rest of the group forever. He will never catch up in XP and they will always level sooner than him. That sounds fuckin' dumb.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Riidi WW posted:

Actually, he isn't. Unless you're fudging the math the dude who got raised is going to be behind the rest of the group forever. He will never catch up in XP and they will always level sooner than him. That sounds fuckin' dumb.

It's been a long time since I worked it out, but I think there's actually a tiny chance that the one who's behind can eventually "leapfrog" ahead--if he's 1 xp shy of level x, and everyone else is slightly into level x, the inflated xp can put him just slightly ahead of them.

Eventually you're almost certain to end up the same level, though, unless being a level behind hurts your survivability and you get knocked down again because of that. Wash, rise, and repeat.

I pretty much defaulted to "you level when I say you do" in no time at all, though. I can't really see a downside to doing it like that.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

ZeeToo posted:

I pretty much defaulted to "you level when I say you do" in no time at all, though. I can't really see a downside to doing it like that.

if you handwaved "ehh, the XP is so minor in item creation it's not really an issue" I don't think the player would mind, but the 3rd time your level 3 party of 4 kills an ancient black dragon without so much as a hint of leveling I think they'd get rather annoyed

How does the XP penalty with wish work with you though?

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Forer posted:

if you handwaved "ehh, the XP is so minor in item creation it's not really an issue" I don't think the player would mind, but the 3rd time your level 3 party of 4 kills an ancient black dragon without so much as a hint of leveling I think they'd get rather annoyed

Mostly those problems are avoided by not playing 3.5, because XP costs for in-game powers is an asinine concept.

Sam_I_Am
Feb 4, 2007

I do not like your green cuisine. I find your green cuisine obscene.

ZeeToo posted:

"you level when I say you do" ... I can't really see a downside to doing it like that.
I certainly play xp-less too, but I don't think you can argue that there's NO downside to that system. There are plenty of players that are xp-focused; they want to look at their xp-bar at the end of a session and say "Ooh, man, I'm 75% of the way through this level! I can't wait!"

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
I'm a fan of what one Dm at our shop did. He levels as a number with two decimals. So you started at level 1.00, and in the first session you had 3 major and one minor encounter, so now your level 1.35. Kept the fill xp bar feeling with none of the math.

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!

Ulta posted:

I'm a fan of what one Dm at our shop did. He levels as a number with two decimals. So you started at level 1.00, and in the first session you had 3 major and one minor encounter, so now your level 1.35. Kept the fill xp bar feeling with none of the math.

This is brilliant.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

The big issue is that there are various reasons why some might get more than XP than others (item creation, your character was at the tavern instead of challenging a rival to a duel, etc.), so unlessit's totally communal you still have the party leveling at different times. I prefer to do this all at once because it seems more efficient than trying to run the session while one player or another is always paging through the books for a good feat and asking advice.

So a group experience meter would work fine, but it's still another drat thing to actually add up official XP values. Since I don't feel like doing that, I usually just inform the group when they're a session or two from hitting the next level. But I also have them leveling a lot, sometimes even two levels at once, so it's not considered that big of a deal.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Forer posted:

I don't get what you're saying in the first paragraph, but gomi answered the second. I really think it's stupid to drain experience to power temporary effects, so I just told the party to level as a group and didn't worry about item creation, xp-draining spells, or the like. Generally the xp cost for spells is fairly minimal, so it's just a tiny bit of bookkeeping to make things harder on you, or you end up maybe one encounter behind other people, and as far as the xp cost for item creation, the feat cost seemed enough mechanical penalty without charging xp, too. Actually, even with that bonus, I rarely had anyone wanting to play at item creation. The Animate Dead line could have caused problems with this, I suppose, but it never came up due to pretty much everyone wanting to minimize the number of miniatures on the map to keep play fast.

Sam_I_Am posted:

I certainly play xp-less too, but I don't think you can argue that there's NO downside to that system. There are plenty of players that are xp-focused; they want to look at their xp-bar at the end of a session and say "Ooh, man, I'm 75% of the way through this level! I can't wait!"
That's a fair point. I guess I'm not one of them and didn't play 3.5 (which is the main place I did this) with them.

The major/minor experience bar is a really cool idea, too, but I never thought of that. It was just "everyone level now", which minimized headaches.

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...
The issue of character death has come up in many games that I have played in or GMed, and after dealing with it a long time I've decided the best answer is the easiest one. Sit down with the group (preferably before the game starts) and talk about how you want to handle the deaths: full out you die when you die, death = knockout or serious injury, or maybe a hybrid where most of the time you can't die but in boss battles or important plot battles you can. There's also a lot of groups that really don't want character death in their heart of hearts but want to entertain the fantasy that it is possible and that the danger is "real."

If you group is one of the first three, it's no problem. Lay things out to begin with and discuss the consequences then (I've never had a player so hosed up that I see a need to punish them for character death with more than, well, character death). You might think that knowing the characters can't die takes out the tension, but that doesn't mean the characters can't lose, and if people really want a game where the characters can't die, it's not like they're gonna be upset. If your group likes to be faked out I'd pretty much just fudge and lie your rear end off and not feel bad about it because that's what the whole "we want there to be a feeling of danger" line is really about. As long as everyone's on the same page you won't have a problem. The problem comes if you're all so busy working smoke and mirrors and poo poo that you're not listening or communicating what you all want out of the game.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
What do you guys think of this encounter idea?

My campaign revolves around the idea of necromancy being a recently-discovered/developed form of magic, which is still being researched by some (where it isn't outlawed, anyway). The BBEG is, naturally, a very powerful necromancer who's developing all kinds of awesome and never-before-seen necromancy spells.

So this morning while I was waking up, I had an idea for an adventure which would take the party down, down, down a long and deep tomb, which would be mostly linear (or maybe it'd switch back and forth), but with plenty of side-rooms and corridors for treasure and smaller encounters, etc.

I picture it to be something similar to this or this.

In any case, near the bottom they'll have a brief encounter with the BBEG's lieutenant, who will then summon either a ginormous zombie, or have a whole shitload of zombies suddenly mass together and grab onto one another to form, essentially, a gigantic super-zombie (I like this idea better).

The idea is I want the party to panic and try to escape as this thing charges at them, and in my mind I see them running back up the main corridor, taking potshots as they can, and occasionally the super-zombie gets stuck/blocked/hindered by something which it has to either find a way around, or bust through, and the party can take opportunities to plink away at his health until they get outside to a clearing, where he should be weakened enough that they can finish him off (but he'll still be a challenge). It seems cool in my mind, but I'm wondering how feasible that would be. Also, if there's some similar monster I could just reskin this as (We're doing 4e).

I'm fully prepared for the possibility of them doing something insane like collapsing the tomb around him and squashing my awesome fight idea from the get-go, which quite frankly I'd probably reward them for (and throw some lesser encounter at them).

Any thoughts, ideas, tips?

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
I see two potential problems:
1) Some groups are stupid and try to kill everything and die miserably to even the most obviously overpowered enemies.
2) Most of the time it's either fight or flight. Why should't they run right out of the tomb without attacking?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah, those were also two major problems I foresaw. And honestly I have no solution to the first one without serious railroading (like, "he seems way too powerful to attack head-on, are you sure?"). Which would then probably lead directly into the second problem.

While I hate the videogame trope of "magic walls suddenly appear and won't go away until you beat the boss," it may be a way to deal with that second one. Or, maybe while they're going down I could mention a part of the hallway with a floor that seems cracked and unstable, then while they're running from the dude they could all fall into some kind of ... gently caress, I forget the name, but it was a type of medieval prison with a domed ceiling where folks were basically tossed in and forgotten about. Or perhaps some arena-like chamber that they'd have to figure out how to climb out of afterward (perhaps climbing over zombie corpses?)

But yeah... any advice would be appreciated. Even if it means scrapping the idea, haha

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

The Boss is just fast enough to keep pace with the rearmost of the group and grab him by use of some phony-baloney power. Let the players find out that damage will break his hold. To keep it from turning to an all-out brawl too soon, stress that they're being chased down a narrow corridor; the Boss will be closing on them one at a time, and you don't to get that close to this guy.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Aug 1, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
That's a great way of handling it, thanks :)

\/\/\/ yesssssssss, thank you! I knew it was french, but just couldn't come up with it.

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Aug 1, 2010

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I forget the name, but it was a type of medieval prison with a domed ceiling where folks were basically tossed in and forgotten about.
Oubliette.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
What do you guys recommend for keeping track of a 4th Ed campaign, DDI or Masterplan? Both seem to have their own strengths and weeknesses. Masterplan seems like a great way to organize the overarching plot, but DDI might have better encounter building tools. I've never DMed before but I am a fairly seasoned player. Basically I've begun writing out plot and scenarios just not sure where to go from there.

Dire Penguin
Jun 17, 2006

I have some ideas for encouraging the PCs to take potshots at the boss as they run. Maybe:

1) The boss is fairly quick, but it gets slowed down when they attack it. If they want to escape they have to damage it enough that it can't run at full speed. Perhaps its speed goes down when it's attacked, or it can't use two move actions in the same turn when it's attacked.

2) The boss zombie picks smaller undead off its body and flings them forward down the hallway. These little zombies are faster and have a power that slows or grabs, so the PCs want to kill them before they drag someone back to the boss.

In general, as long as you make the PCs feel like the occasional attack is more rewarding than double move running they'll probably make some attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Destructible terrain along the hallway that they can create obstacles with? I mean, I've never seen a movie chase scene that didnt have the the guy in front throwing random poo poo at the chasers.