Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Miramax has finally been sold. I'll take that Pulp Fiction Blu-Ray now please :)

edit: a post from Charles de Lauzirika at HomeTheaterForum:

quote:

Ridley Scott personally supervised and approved the new master. I know because I was there with him at each session. He's very happy with the new "Gladiator" master. As he is with the new "Alien" master, by the way.
So, there it is. Alien and Gladiator re-master are Ridley-approved :thumbsup:

Bambi fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

doctor thodt posted:

James and the Giant Peach reviewed (ouch :()

Ah goddammit. I loved that movie as a kid. The second to last shot is brutal.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bambi posted:

:thumbsup:

Whoever bought this, you are the best.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

I'll still get James and the Giant Peach. It doesn't look horrible (I imagine some of the problems are due to the source material), and my nostalgic feelings for the film are too strong to pass it up. Plus, Disney is doing their usual $10 coupon dealie.

http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/promotions/special-offers/james-coupon?cmp=dmov_dmr_emc_jamesupgrade_wdshe
Enter 717951009388 to get the coupon.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The World at War 11/16 :aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa:

edit: pre-order

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 30, 2010

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

Ugh, WB finally got around to releasing Jack Webb's The D.I. on DVD, but it's on-demand printing from a video master that looks horrible. (You can watch a clip of the quality here) I know I'm kidding myself, but I kind of hope this is a stopgap for them so they can remaster it properly and release it on Bluray.

ControlledBurn fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 31, 2010

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I figure this is the best thread to ask.

I just got a PS3, and it is my first Blu-Ray player.

What Blus do you fellow movie nerds recommend to help me get my collection started. I currently own one, The Dark Knight (it was on sale at Wal-Mart, and I love the movie, so it was a no-brainer)

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

What Blus do you fellow movie nerds recommend to help me get my collection started. I currently own one, The Dark Knight (it was on sale at Wal-Mart, and I love the movie, so it was a no-brainer)

Welp, Dark Knight is definitely one of the best, so you lucked out there.
Most of Pixar's movies are absolutely fantastic on Blu-Ray. I own Ratatouille, and it's breathtaking.

I don't own it myself, but I've heard nothing but good things about the Blade Runner Ultimate Edition blu-ray.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Well, what do you like? The Warner Brother Kubricks have great image quality but the audio is pretty :effort:. All the Criterions are just wonderful, though Playtime is a little fuzzy considering that it was originally shot on 65mm. Actually, my favorite Blu-Ray is Fantastic Mr. Fox, because it captures the textures really well and it's just crystal-clear. Blu-Ray.com is good for large screencaps, as well as DVDBeaver (one of the reviewers has the amusing quirk of including boobs in every review of a film with even a single frame of nudity).

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

As you bought the Dark Knight already, I will assume you at least have a passing interest in Batman and suggest you buy the Burton movies from the series on blu ray. They're some of the best looking movies I've ever seen in the format.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Well since blurays are not that expensive I would recommend any movie you like. You can go to amazon.com and get a lot of great blurays for 10-15$ each. I think I paid 8.99 for Inside Man from Amazon

Some no-brainers as far as I'm concerned would be: Avatar, Troy, 300, Sin City, Iron Man, The Departed, Lucky Number Slevin, American History X, Fight Club, Batman Begins, Minority Report, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead.

I got FACE/OFF for 10$ at best buy and I think they did a good job with that transfer.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzl6iA0d4Ow

Hey Thodt, this guy's totally calling you out.

i think

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Max22 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzl6iA0d4Ow

Hey Thodt, this guy's totally calling you out.

i think

...What the gently caress did I just watch?

EDIT: I just watched some of his other reviews, and to be quite honest, that's what I think pretty much anyone who is really passionately for or against a media format is probably like in real life. In 20 years we're going to look back at this whole pro/anti blu ray thing like we look back at changing over from 8 tracks to cassette tapes now. At the time, there were probably people who were mad, mad about tapes. But it's all totally irrelevant because technology advances and formats change, and what's hot today will be trash in a few years, and the last big thing is useless and gone already, so just roll with it.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 31, 2010

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

As someone who was in the same situation as you were, some months ago, I can especially recommend The Prestige, Inglourious Basterds, Gattaca, and L.A. Confidential. They all look amazing and are great movies anyway.

My latest blurays are Falling Down and Zodiac, they were €20 for the two of them. Falling Down looks very good too, haven't watched Zodiac yet.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Yup this was the case for me too, the first Blu-Ray I bought was The Princess And The Frog, followed up by the complete series of Rome.

I'd recommend picking up both Toy Stories and District 9, too. I did and they're all gorgeous.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

This was me not too long ago. Now my whole shelf is full. :gonk:

All depends what kind of movies you like, of course. A Scanner Darkly and Blade Runner are both stunners if you like that style of science fiction. The animation in A Scanner Darkly is gorgeous in hi def, and Blade Runner was restored so well it's honestly hard to believe it's pushing 30 years old. Seconding Gattaca, that's a great movie, and the old dvd used a really awful source so it's a pretty substantial improvement. The latest Star Trek looks great and has a hilarious commentary track if you liked it.

The Departed and Donnie Brasco if you like mob movies. Carlito's Way, too, that's one of Al Pacino's best roles. All three are great, Donnie Brasco is probably cheapest, I see it for $10 pretty regularly. If you grab Goodfellas (and you should,) save yourself some money and get the original release; the special edition just adds a few more bonus features and new packaging.

Fight Club got some TLC from the studio. Looks great, has a bunch of special features. If you like the movie there's really no reason to not own it.

Less demo-disc worthy, but Dr. Strangelove is a great black comedy and much cleaner than the old dvd. Traffic is a look inside the cocaine trade, not a documentary by any means, but it's a great movie. Spy Game is kind of cheesy, but it's an entertaining espionage movie and can be had pretty cheap.

One bit of advice: This won't be an issue if you're not buying Canadian discs, but if you are be careful with anything released by Alliance. Most of their releases are completely fine (they're either a cheap movie-only disc, or a regularly priced clone of the US release) but some of their discs either look terrible or are heavily cropped. Off the top of my head, avoid their releases of Running Scared, Seven, Equilibrium, Blade, and the one-disc version of Traffic.

Oh, and don't be afraid of importing, a lot of catalog releases are region free. I've grabbed a few European or Asian releases because I'm an impatient manchild the studios were dragging their feet on a domestic release and they've been fine. Just do your homework and make sure you're getting a region-free disc.

holy effortpost

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

GonSmithe posted:

Welp, Dark Knight is definitely one of the best, so you lucked out there.

Most videophiles would actually dispute this. While it isn't "one of the worst transfers ever" as many claim, it's definitely one of the worst transfers that's widely held to be a good one. The Dark Knight on Blu-Ray is average at best. The scenes filmed with IMAX cameras are absolutely jaw-dropping, but everything else is rather soft and plagued by ostensible digital noise reduction and edge enhancement. It's like Gladiator in that you can really see the difference between the few great-looking shots and everything else when it transitions back and forth between them, and once you see it you can't unsee it.

Plenty of people will tell you that it looks fine to their eyes, and that's great, more power to them - I wish everything always looked perfect to me too and I never had any complaints about anything either. But it's kind of impossible to argue that this is how TDK is supposed to look. This guy explains it more succinctly than I can:

quote:

The Dark Knight was scanned from a 35mm InterPositive at 4K to make the IMAX print, then the DMR processing which is a grain reduction and sharpening tool was applied, then it was recorded back out to an IMAX negative for creation of the IMAX prints and it is very likely this print was used for the Blu Ray edition.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Bambi posted:

Most videophiles would actually dispute this. While it isn't "one of the worst transfers ever" as many claim, it's definitely one of the worst transfers that's widely held to be a good one. The Dark Knight on Blu-Ray is average at best. The scenes filmed with IMAX cameras are absolutely jaw-dropping, but everything else is rather soft and plagued by ostensible digital noise reduction and edge enhancement. It's like Gladiator in that you can really see the difference between the few great-looking shots and everything else when it transitions back and forth between them, and once you see it you can't unsee it.

Plenty of people will tell you that it looks fine to their eyes, and that's great, more power to them - I wish everything always looked perfect to me too and I never had any complaints about anything either. But it's kind of impossible to argue that this is how TDK is supposed to look. This guy explains it more succinctly than I can:
Oh. Well then. I was just reading bluray.com. My bad.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Bambi posted:

See I know it's not the best transfer, however I love that movie so much that I prefer to ignore this fact. I don't want anything to ruin that movie for me. It's kinda like the new Star Trek with lens flare effects, it's completely over used in the movie and can be distracting in some scenes but I love the movie too much to notice.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The blu-ray of anime classic Akira is a huge upgrade from the DVD version, and I made sure it was my first blu-ray so I could do an in-home test comparison. While the crisper lines and cleaner image were great, I was most satisfied by the sound mix. My stereo speakers were sounding like 5.1 surround out of nowhere! In terms of sheer eye candy, I would recommend Speed Racer and Paprika to give your tv a colorful workout. I second the Pixar endorsement, and anything Disney, for that matter. Even their "color corrections" that aggravate purists (such as in Pinocchio) look good to me.

It's good that you check a site for reviews/transfer quality; sometimes studios gently caress up and resort to replacement deals (as you've no doubt noticed throughout this thread).

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Quick question:

Scored a copy of the Criterion Curious Case of Benjamin Button today at a flea market. It's in good shape, but someone wrote a stock number on the art side of one of the discs with permanent marker. Someone told me years ago that writing on a disc can eventually damage it.. Any truth to that? Google isn't being much help.

Oh, and one more recommendation for TheBigBudgetSequel I totally forgot: Up, a million times Up. Great movie, and it's jaw-droppingly good looking.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

fidel sarcastro posted:

Quick question:

Scored a copy of the Criterion Curious Case of Benjamin Button today at a flea market. It's in good shape, but someone wrote a stock number on the art side of one of the discs with permanent marker. Someone told me years ago that writing on a disc can eventually damage it.. Any truth to that? Google isn't being much help.

No, it's not true. Technically, if you were to write on a DVD with something that wasn't felt tipped you could potentially scratch through the top layer of the disc and damage the foil data layer, but that doesn't apply to blurays at all, as they are constructed to be far more resilient.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Crackbone posted:

No, it's not true. Technically, if you were to write on a DVD with something that wasn't felt tipped you could potentially scratch through the top layer of the disc and damage the foil data layer, but that doesn't apply to blurays at all, as they are constructed to be far more resilient.

Glad to hear it, thanks.

Dig the new avatar, by the by. ;)

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Getting back to this...

As a rule of thumb, anything released by Sony is pretty much guaranteed to be worth owning (at least in terms of picture and audio quality). As the inventors of the format they seem to be the only major studio we can rely on to do Blu-Ray *correctly* just about 100% of the time (they had a few hiccups in the early days, but everything they release now is fantastic). The same can be said of Criterion, and usually Disney and WB as well (any "classic" title handled by WB is almost automatically going to be great - they haven't screwed one up yet as far as I know).

Very few studios screw up new/recent releases, so if you're looking to get a movie that was in theaters sometime the last decade, chances are it's a safe buy - but it's always best to check reviews and even ask this thread first anyway.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

For anyone doing the Gladiator BD exchange, be prepared to read the serial number on the inside of the disc. That was an eyesore.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Harlock posted:

For anyone doing the Gladiator BD exchange, be prepared to read the serial number on the inside of the disc. That was an eyesore.

Maybe I missed something. There's an exchange going on? What are the details of this?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

qbert posted:

Maybe I missed something. There's an exchange going on? What are the details of this?
If you want to exchange your Gladiator BD:

Just mail Disc #1 (only Disc #1) in an envelope with your name, address, and phone number inside to:

PHE MKT
c/o Deluxe Media Management
PO Box 801464
Valencia, CA
91380-1464

Harlock fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 31, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Bambi posted:

FYI, region coding on the MoC titles is as follows:

Region B-locked

Fantastic Planet

MOTHERFFFFFFFUUUCKKKKKKKKKERRRRRRRRRRSSSSSS! :argh:

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Harlock posted:

If you want to exchange your Gladiator BD:

Just mail Disc #1 (only Disc #1) in an envelope with your name, address, and phone number inside to:

PHE MKT
c/o Deluxe Media Management
PO Box 801464
Valencia, CA
91380-1464

So where does the serial number come in?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Bambi posted:

So where does the serial number come in?
This is what they tell you after you give them the serial number since apparently they're all the same. I just decided posting the info would be easier, rather than having people call individually and get told the same thing.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Ahh, gotcha. Thanks for the info!

DVDBeaver reviews for A Prophet and The Ghost Writer.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

The new Speed Racer. I wish I'd bought it earlier, it is spectacular visually. Also it's only $10 at Target.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Fuckin lolling at how many people on blu-ray.com refuse to exchange their Gladiator discs because they're pleased as punch with what they have now and refuse to believe it has been improved in any way/shape/form.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

El Jackalope posted:

MOTHERFFFFFFFUUUCKKKKKKKKKERRRRRRRRRRSSSSSS! :argh:

For what it's worth, the DVD of this has a transfer that I couldn't see any artifacts or anything in. It's the sort of content that is pretty easy to encode, not a lot of fine detail, broad swathes of the same color, all that. I am sure the BD improves over the DVD, but you can get a DVD of it for whatever region you're in and it looks great.

The extra with the snails (which is awesome) probably looks a lot better on the BD, but there's a lot more differentiation and other things that give an encoder more to chew on.

Bambi posted:

Fuckin lolling at how many people on blu-ray.com refuse to exchange their Gladiator discs because they're pleased as punch with what they have now and refuse to believe it has been improved in any way/shape/form.

Well as you know in real life there are typically many artificially created white outlines around things, without them how would you ever see clearly?? :bang:

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Bambi posted:

And where the heck would this be? I'm looking at the Gladiator thread at blu-ray.com, and there's like one guy arguing "Well I want to keep the old disc because the colors are more accurate", and a hundred other people giving us up-to-the-minute status updates about what the Paramount exchange hotline person told them and how far along they are in procuring an envelope and stamps to send their disc in.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

A Bad Poster posted:

The new Speed Racer. I wish I'd bought it earlier, it is spectacular visually. Also it's only $10 at Target.

Holy poo poo, I ignored Speed Racer because of the bad reviews and poor box office performance (edit: and more or less complete lack of raison d'être) until I caught the last third of it on cable back in college and it blew my loving mind. It was on rotation on one of the HBOs or something so I DVR'd it, watched it four or five times before I was full. I bet it's fantastic on blu-ray, I need to get a copy of it.

I know people gave it all kinds of poo poo for being, well, not a great movie, and kind of confused about what it was trying to do, but in the purity of its soul it was a movie about dangerous cars going dangerously fast through dangerous and psychedelic tracks and blowing poo poo up left and right. The rest just doesn't matter.

Also, the theme song rules. Go speed racer, gently caress yeah, go.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 1, 2010

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Agreed posted:

Holy poo poo, I ignored Speed Racer because of the bad reviews and poor box office performance until I caught the last third of it on cable back in college and it blew my loving mind. It was on rotation on one of the HBOs or something so I DVR'd it, watched it four or five times before I was full. I bet it's fantastic on blu-ray, I need to get a copy of it.

I know people gave it all kinds of poo poo for being, well, not a great movie, and kind of confused about what it was trying to do, but in the purity of its soul it was a movie about dangerous cars going dangerously fast through dangerous and psychedelic tracks and blowing poo poo up left and right. The rest just doesn't matter.

Also, the theme song rules. Go speed racer, gently caress yeah. Go.

I'm sure the genesis of Speed Racer was pretty much just the Wachowski...er...siblings?...just sitting around, getting stone at 2 am, when a rerun of the old show came on, and then just riffing about how bad rear end a movie they could make it into. Then, because they're famous Hollywood people, they actually did it. And it isn't a movie that they really seemed to make for anyone but themselves, but you can tell that they loving loved doing it, and it was a fun little movie with great visuals.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Yeah, the deal is I know it is a mediocre film w/r/t plot, pacing, coherence, etc., but it is one of the few movies where I am able, without reservation, to disengage completely my critical sensibilities and enjoy a bunch of impossible cars doing impossible stunts and getting blown up and stuff while an acid trip is going on around it all. Physics SHOULD work that way, man. I hardly ever get to do that, but something about Speed Racer manages to push the off-button on my "you should only enjoy GOOD movies :smug:" part of the brain and lets me just go along for the insane ride like a little kid.

And I bet it looks awesome as hell on BD. I gotta get that!

Semi-related point, I think the siblings are back to being brothers now, by the way. Larry, not Linda. I think. Probably ought to :google: it first but in the spirit of Speed Racer I'm just going to throw that out there without a care in the world.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I totally agree with you. I will also say Ninja Assassin was the same way with me. Looking back, that movie was pretty loving retarded. But when I was watching it I loved it. And I'm sure it would be the same way if I watched it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeyio
Mar 1, 2003

Space Fish posted:

The blu-ray of anime classic Akira is a huge upgrade from the DVD version, and I made sure it was my first blu-ray so I could do an in-home test comparison. While the crisper lines and cleaner image were great, I was most satisfied by the sound mix. My stereo speakers were sounding like 5.1 surround out of nowhere! In terms of sheer eye candy, I would recommend Speed Racer and Paprika to give your tv a colorful workout.

Akira has an insanely high quality 192khz/24-bit 5.1 track that pretty much hits the ceiling of what the Blu-ray spec can provide. When I have people take a listen they always remark that the sound effects/voicework don't sound all that great but then the soundtrack comes on and they shut up. Speed Racer is a fun movie with an awesome visual presentation, but the Blu-ray does not have lossless audio oddly enough. Still recommend for the visuals alone though.

I'd recommend checking out Star Trek, District 9, Knowing (if you don't mind Nic Cage), and any of the Pirates movies for audio/visual feasts. Zodiac, Children of Men, and There Will Be Blood are great looking transfers. 2001, Blade Runner, The Searchers, and Godfather to see what Blu-ray can do for older movies. The two concert blu's I've bought have been amazing (The Police and Nine Inch Nails).

• Locked thread