Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010
The PC game I'm looking for was most likely a freeware or shareware game from quite a few years ago - I might have played it sometime between 1998-2000.

It was a top down shooter set in maze-like offices utilizing this kind of perspective. The graphics had a similar level of detail (or lack thereof) with a somewhat cartoony feel, probably in 8 bit and SVGA.
You play as a (selection of) rambo style dude(s?) with a wide range of weapons, including a chainsaw. The really fun part was playing splitscreen (for 2, left/right) on one computer.

westborn fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
PC, puzzle game, I think it was freeware (or had a really well-featured demo). You were defusing bombs around the city. Some of them were just explosives (ie, "standard" rules), some were bioweapons (can't make a mistake or you lose), and other types. They came in a grid based system like some sort of hell-Picross. I forget the exact mechanic for figuring out which were the safe to disarm spots.

It was a nifty puzzle game and I could use something like that to kill time between naps again if someone recalls it.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

westborn posted:

The PC game I'm looking for was most likely a freeware or shareware game from quite a few years ago - I might have played it sometime between 1998-2000.

It was a top down shooter set in maze-like offices utilizing this kind of perspective. The graphics had a similar level of detail (or lack thereof) with a somewhat cartoony feel, probably in 8 bit and SVGA.
You play as a (selection of) rambo style dude(s?) with a wide range of weapons, including a chainsaw. The really fun part was playing splitscreen (for 2, left/right) on one computer.

Take a guess at this being CyberDogs?

http://www.oldschooldos.com/cyberdogs.php

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Alright, this one has been driving me crazy.

I'm trying to remember an old PC game I used to play in the late 90s. The game could have been made before then, though. I remember the different levels were all very unique and introduced completely different gameplay concepts. The level I remember most vividly was an underwater one where you were a green fish or something. I think you could jump out of the water like a dolphin too. Also, that particular level started you off above ground and then you walked forward and dived into the water.

I think the fish would also make bubbly noises, except the bubbly noises sounded more like someone popping bubble wrap.

Another level had to do with alchemy (I remember the word "alchemy" being used). There was an old mad scientist guy on screen and he had a white beard or something. That's about all I remember of that level.

The other level I remember was one where you were a caveman or something. Honestly, I remember this one the least -- practically to the point where I'm starting to think I might have made it up.

The game used pre-rendered graphics. I think.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Major Ryan posted:

Take a guess at this being CyberDogs?

It is! Thank you!
I even searched for 'Underdogs' and 'Dogs of War', but wasn't too sure about 'dogs' being in the title.

ninety
Mar 13, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

(and can't post for 4 years!)

JSnake posted:

Alright, this one has been driving me crazy.

I'm trying to remember an old PC game I used to play in the late 90s. The game could have been made before then, though. I remember the different levels were all very unique and introduced completely different gameplay concepts. The level I remember most vividly was an underwater one where you were a green fish or something. I think you could jump out of the water like a dolphin too. Also, that particular level started you off above ground and then you walked forward and dived into the water.

I think the fish would also make bubbly noises, except the bubbly noises sounded more like someone popping bubble wrap.

Another level had to do with alchemy (I remember the word "alchemy" being used). There was an old mad scientist guy on screen and he had a white beard or something. That's about all I remember of that level.

The other level I remember was one where you were a caveman or something. Honestly, I remember this one the least -- practically to the point where I'm starting to think I might have made it up.

The game used pre-rendered graphics. I think.

This has to be The Time Warp of Dr. Brain, I played it at my cousin's house all the time.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

ninety posted:

This has to be The Time Warp of Dr. Brain, I played it at my cousin's house all the time.

Yes!! This is it! Was this game any good? It's been so long and I can't remember anything about its quality.

ninety
Mar 13, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

(and can't post for 4 years!)

I remember liking it a lot, the puzzles got pretty tough after a while. Of course I was probably about 8 years old when I played it, so...

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Syrg Sapphire posted:

PC, puzzle game, I think it was freeware (or had a really well-featured demo). You were defusing bombs around the city. Some of them were just explosives (ie, "standard" rules), some were bioweapons (can't make a mistake or you lose), and other types. They came in a grid based system like some sort of hell-Picross. I forget the exact mechanic for figuring out which were the safe to disarm spots.

It was a nifty puzzle game and I could use something like that to kill time between naps again if someone recalls it.

If anyone gives a poo poo, a friend found it for me. I was thinking of (freeware) Acidbomb, and apparently there's a $5 sequel called Shellblast that's also on 360, so I think I'll pick that up later.

Cool.

Also the Dr. Brain games were pretty solid and I think Time Warp was the last "wholehearted" one before Sierra got kinda weird with churning a few out.

Bone Thugs eHarmony
Jan 18, 2008
I study Sun Tzu & Clausewitz to better understand and defeat my foes. I'm also 36, live at home and am a virgin.
I saw some videos a few months ago of a completely open-ended space exploration game in development by a small group or a single person for PC. All I remember about it was a purple ship flying around planets looking at scenery and that it looked sweet as heck. I have a terrible memory and I may have even been dreaming it.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Bone Thugs eHarmony posted:

I saw some videos a few months ago of a completely open-ended space exploration game in development by a small group or a single person for PC. All I remember about it was a purple ship flying around planets looking at scenery and that it looked sweet as heck. I have a terrible memory and I may have even been dreaming it

Infinity: The Quest for Earth

Bone Thugs eHarmony
Jan 18, 2008
I study Sun Tzu & Clausewitz to better understand and defeat my foes. I'm also 36, live at home and am a virgin.

That's it, thanks.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I hope this isn't too obscure but a friend and I were talking about nearly-impossible games and we're dying to know this one.

It was a Neo Geo (home console) game and the final stage was the character (a ninja or samurai or something) is falling down, holding his sword downward, and it's very dark. This is the entire final stage.

Please help us.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
This is some Amiga/Lynx game. It has small sprites, it's a platformer, and (some of) it takes place in a forest. It's not giana sisters and it doesn't even look like it. Sadly, that's all I can remember.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Hamburglar posted:

I hope this isn't too obscure but a friend and I were talking about nearly-impossible games and we're dying to know this one.

It was a Neo Geo (home console) game and the final stage was the character (a ninja or samurai or something) is falling down, holding his sword downward, and it's very dark. This is the entire final stage.

Please help us.

I'm not sure if it's the final stage, but this sounds similar to a few sections in Magician Lord, which was a pretty common (and drat near impossible) AES game.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Grawl posted:

This is some Amiga/Lynx game. It has small sprites, it's a platformer, and (some of) it takes place in a forest. It's not giana sisters and it doesn't even look like it. Sadly, that's all I can remember.

This isn't really a lot to go on, but at a guess I'd say Elf, perhaps?
http://www.mobygames.com/game/elf

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

I'm looking for a browser game, probably has the word 'orb' in the title. It's a two player browser game where you start with a bunch of orbs that you can move one tile at a time and there are powerups in the shape of smaller black dots. It has a subscriber mode last I played.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
I've got a bit of an obscure one. It's an old game,2D isometric strategy/RPG game,where you played this wizard guy and a big point of the game was that you could summon monsters to fight for you. That's about all I remember aside from the fact that your health was represented by a character portrait and there was a bit of a gimmick where the portrait would age as you progressed in the game.

The Fifteenth Pen
Jun 2, 2006
Yes.

Capilarean posted:

I've got a bit of an obscure one. It's an old game,2D isometric strategy/RPG game,where you played this wizard guy and a big point of the game was that you could summon monsters to fight for you. That's about all I remember aside from the fact that your health was represented by a character portrait and there was a bit of a gimmick where the portrait would age as you progressed in the game.

Well, it could be Geneforge, but the aging portrait thing isn't in Geneforge, so I'm probably wrong.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

NES game, picture on the cart had a dude in a safari outfit. I have no idea what the gameplay was like. Any ideas?

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Traxis posted:

NES game, picture on the cart had a dude in a safari outfit. I have no idea what the gameplay was like. Any ideas?

Bayou Billy? Stanley and the Search for Dr Livingston?

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Nastyman posted:

It was a very simplistic game where you get dealt special cards that you have to use to either build up your castle or destroy the opponent's castle. Looks extremely close to this: http://www.kongregate.com/games/m0rkeulv/castle-wars-2

I'm not positive but I think the one I want involved ants.

Reposting this (it's not Arcomage, looked like it might be an indie game), also I'm trying to find a game that I think I was linked to here on SA, where you pretty much just tried to make a living in a 3rd world country, with random events like being raped every other day or developing some sort of nasty disease.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Nastyman posted:

also I'm trying to find a game that I think I was linked to here on SA, where you pretty much just tried to make a living in a 3rd world country, with random events like being raped every other day or developing some sort of nasty disease.
This probably is Real Lives. There's a more up-to-date version as well apparently?

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

MMAgCh posted:

This probably is Real Lives. There's a more up-to-date version as well apparently?

That's the one! I was sure the name was Real Life, which turned up nothing. Thanks!

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 29, 2010

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
When I was in elementary school the computers had a rad game that we kids would always play.

You were this velociraptor, you had rockets or jetpacks on your back, and you would explore this world and get like powerups to make your rockets stronger. I have no idea what the objective of the game was, but I do know the opening cutscene had like a meteor and then zoomed into 3 big eggs.

There was also some sweet trick you could do to ride pterodactyls and go really high up in the air.

That's pretty much all I can remember of it, but I would love to see it again.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

Metroixer posted:

When I was in elementary school the computers had a rad game that we kids would always play.

You were this velociraptor, you had rockets or jetpacks on your back, and you would explore this world and get like powerups to make your rockets stronger. I have no idea what the objective of the game was, but I do know the opening cutscene had like a meteor and then zoomed into 3 big eggs.

There was also some sweet trick you could do to ride pterodactyls and go really high up in the air.

That's pretty much all I can remember of it, but I would love to see it again.

Please tell me that, like me, you played a lot of Nanosaur when you were a kid.

I don't want to be the only person who knew what game you were talking about instantly. Christ, I was 11 when this game came out for Mac OS.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent

That Awful Nick posted:

Please tell me that, like me, you played a lot of Nanosaur when you were a kid.

I don't want to be the only person who knew what game you were talking about instantly. Christ, I was 11 when this game came out for Mac OS.

Holy poo poo, I recognized the dino right away! It even has sequels!

Played this every loving time we got computer time in third grade. Gonna see if I can play this again.

Nagget
Jan 17, 2003

Binowru posted:

Sounds like Cyborg Justice.

One of my all-time favorite games as a kid! I may download an emulator just for this. You could rip other cyborgs' arms off and attach them to yourself, or smash their torso on your head to regain life. Truly fantastic game.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

Metroixer posted:

Holy poo poo, I recognized the dino right away! It even has sequels!

Played this every loving time we got computer time in third grade. Gonna see if I can play this again.

FYI: You can get Nanosaur 2 for your iPhone or iPod Touch. I've been playing it on and off for a while now. It's still a pretty fun game, even today.

yanthrax
Oct 18, 2004

straight in wit da barney rubble ridin spinnaz

Morpheus posted:

Nope :(

Year...hard to say because I lived overseas in Korea when I played it, so it could've been anywhere from 1987 to 1995 or something when it actually came out.

Oh wait I kind of remember something...there was a single town that you could visit, it was above the dungeon. The town was presented to you in the same first-person view, so you could walk around, enter stores (though the stores were just a menu), and visit houses before you went up to the big door that led down into the dungeon.

But I'm positive the four party members you had were displayed across the bottom of the screen (though it might've been the top, all these games I'm looking at might be coloring my memories).

You know the only thing I can think of is that this game was shareware or something, which is why it's so drat hard to find.

Was this any of the Might and Magic games?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
This question doesn't really belong in this thread, but perhaps someone knows. In Darksiders, the main character obtains a gauntlet that can break onyx crystals, and halfway through the game you have to fight a giant spider whose body is partially made of onyx. Then God of War III comes out two months later and Kratos gets a cestus that breaks onyx crystals and you have to fight a giant scorpion that's also part onyx. It can't be a coincidence, but the previous GOW games didn't have that weapon. How did they know it was in GOWIII?

PseudoThief
May 12, 2007
If I don't see it it's not illegal!
Just had a memory of a game pop into my head today out of nowhere. It was for the PC, sometime between 1995 and 2000 I think.

Consisted of you flying a floating rock fortress through canyons. The fortress had pointy rocks at bottom but was flat on top. You could attach weapons such as cannons to free sections on the top, as well as different thrusters. You could also attach spikes to the outer edges of the fortress.

Objective was to destroy other flying fortresses/players. Fortresses came in a variety of sizes and loadouts.

The game was in 3D/3rd person perspective (3D meaning it had depth, not as in you needed special glasses to see it). I believe the fortress moved at a fixed height but you could control the direction of it using the thrusters. The more/better thrusters you had the faster it moved, the more weight you carried the slower you moved. It also supported multiplayer, most likely LAN but may have been fully online.

The name Stratofortress comes to mind but I can find no reference to it searching online, only pages of the B-52 Stratofortress :(. Fairly sure it had Fortress in the name though. Dunno if anyone will have played the game never mind remember it but any help would be appreciated.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

PseudoThief posted:

Just had a memory of a game pop into my head today out of nowhere. It was for the PC, sometime between 1995 and 2000 I think.

Consisted of you flying a floating rock fortress through canyons. The fortress had pointy rocks at bottom but was flat on top. You could attach weapons such as cannons to free sections on the top, as well as different thrusters. You could also attach spikes to the outer edges of the fortress.

Objective was to destroy other flying fortresses/players. Fortresses came in a variety of sizes and loadouts.

The game was in 3D/3rd person perspective (3D meaning it had depth, not as in you needed special glasses to see it). I believe the fortress moved at a fixed height but you could control the direction of it using the thrusters. The more/better thrusters you had the faster it moved, the more weight you carried the slower you moved. It also supported multiplayer, most likely LAN but may have been fully online.

The name Stratofortress comes to mind but I can find no reference to it searching online, only pages of the B-52 Stratofortress :(. Fairly sure it had Fortress in the name though. Dunno if anyone will have played the game never mind remember it but any help would be appreciated.
Project Nomads?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

PseudoThief posted:

Stratosphere maybe? I thought I remembered it being called Stratofortress too at first. :shobon:

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

dissin department posted:

Ok, a long time ago, me and my mother used to be addicted to this game. It may have been on AOL's games section way back in the day as shareware. It's one of those tile-turning games, where you have to guide a taxi from start to finish, and rotate the tiles to make a road. The longer you drove, the higher your fare and thus, your money to upgrade the taxi (there were snow tires that let you drive on special snow tiles, etc) or fill up your tank in between levels. Googling hasn't turned up much. Anyone else remember this?

Reposting this- extensive googling still hasn't turned up anything.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Here's a weird one. Today upon going home I find some crumpled pieces of paper on my desk with cheat codes from various N64 games. This one has been giving me trouble as to which game it's from. As I apparently wrote years ago:

code:
PAD: Z B cU D, STICK: L R,
PAD: U [R] Z A

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm looking for an old arcade beat-em-up, something I played in the early nineties.

You could play as a wizard, and possibly several other characters, and the very first level started with you in a throne room talking to some king or nobleman who died as soon as you finished talking to him. You then walked to the left of the room as the first level progressed. One of the early bosses was a big purple sphere of bugs or eyes or something, they dropped off as it took damage.

I'm pretty sure it was pure 2D, without any of the fake depth like in Golden Axe or King of Dragons.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm looking for an old arcade beat-em-up, something I played in the early nineties.

You could play as a wizard, and possibly several other characters, and the very first level started with you in a throne room talking to some king or nobleman who died as soon as you finished talking to him. You then walked to the left of the room as the first level progressed. One of the early bosses was a big purple sphere of bugs or eyes or something, they dropped off as it took damage.

I'm pretty sure it was pure 2D, without any of the fake depth like in Golden Axe or King of Dragons.

The king doesn't die in the beginning, but the first level having you go left in the beginning and the description of the first boss sounds a lot like Cadash:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3q4lp45e8g

It got a good port to the Turbo Graphx and a terrible port to the Genesis. The arcade version is available on the US PC release of Taito Legends 2, the European XBox release of Taito Legends 2, and Taito Memories Gekan 2 I think in Japan (the Japanese compilation had four different volumes) on the PS2.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 7, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Neo Rasa posted:

The king doesn't die in the beginning, but the first level having you go left in the beginning and the description of the first boss sounds a lot like Cadash:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3q4lp45e8g

Thanks, I'm pretty sure that's it! The actual arcade cab I played it on was pretty beat up and had a blurry screen, so the color may have been off as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tharax
Jul 15, 2009
i played this game for PC between doom2 and halflife1. it was a FPshooter, half the missions were played from the point of view of a human, and half as if you controlled a mechwarrior type-robot. it kept flicking between the two.

i think it was called something like "shogun" or shogu or shotgun. i remember i pronounced it like showgirls to my friends, and at that age they teased me about it.

i also remember most of the guns were variants of machine guns (standard shooter stuff) and some of them had incredible rates of fire.