Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Tadhg posted:

Interesting technique. I'm curious to see what the desired end result looks like.

See: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/390388/the-reluctant-painters-guide-to-painting-your-bsg

Most of the ships are just primer + drybrush, only the vipers have red on them. Also see: attached picture.

Additional question: what kind of sealing spray should I put on them when they're done? I have matt and semi-gloss. I was thinking semi-gloss?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Even with matte varnish on them, the shiny metallic finish will still be apparent. If you're really concerned about a high gloss though, semi-gloss would work, yes. Just remember though, put semi-gloss on first. If you don't like how it looks, just put a coat of matte over that.

I would not recommend gloss varnish at all for the effect you are after, but gloss has a more durable coating, which you may be interested in doing. If you like this idea, gloss first (1 layer), then matte varnish (1 layer) and that should give you a nice semi-gloss finish with a protective shell on your models.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

uXs posted:

Ok. The palettes I have are pretty much the same in a different shape. Not sure about ease of cleaning though, dried paint wasn't eager to come off.

I found out (by accident, while doing bases) that watered down PVA let to dry in the wells will peel right off, taking almost all of the dried crusty paint off with it. Especially helped for washes and really thin paints that just wanted to scratch off a little at a time and not come off in one nice chunk.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Dagon posted:

I found out (by accident, while doing bases) that watered down PVA let to dry in the wells will peel right off, taking almost all of the dried crusty paint off with it. Especially helped for washes and really thin paints that just wanted to scratch off a little at a time and not come off in one nice chunk.

To clean my pallets, I occasionally slather PVA all over them, let it dry and peel it off :) (if I haven't taken a nice sharp blade to the mounds of paint and sliced it off beforehand)

sansuki
May 17, 2003

I play Malifaux. Its a small skirmish based wargame centered around using a deck of cards not dice to contol your rolls. One of the factions is redneck bayou gremlins that shoot each other, get drunk and raise pigs to fight as their warmachines. For my birthday a friend got me this limited edition model:

I will be updating pics of her in progress as well as asking tips. She is so awesomely repugnant.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Good lord. I can kind of see why it's limited edition.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Man, I think these guys are cool.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Is anyone else reminded of Squidbillies?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I was about to post "its squidbillies the miniatures game"

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

"How many times I gotta tell you!?? Sell dem dirt! GIVE AWAY DEM PIGS!"

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

That's it. There's going to be a bayou backwoods goblin clan in the D&D game I run.

"Ya'll adventurin' folk got'cha one'a them there... Ma-juh-kul what'cha-ma-callzit's?"

Also: Insert "Deliverance" joke here.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Have these been posted yet? Because if not

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I like som'er teeth jones :3:

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Someone posted that when the ingredient was announced for July. It's pretty sick.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Sole.Sushi posted:

That's it. There's going to be a bayou backwoods goblin clan in the D&D game I run.

"Ya'll adventurin' folk got'cha one'a them there... Ma-juh-kul what'cha-ma-callzit's?"

Also: Insert "Deliverance" joke here.

Actually, one of theiir abilities is called Deliverance. It causes a radius of fear. Also Pig Whisperers have Never Happen... which causes target pig to fly.

And Somer Teeth has Pull My Finger which causes wounds in a template centered in him, but only to non-gremlin figures. I can wait for the expansion in August with exploding Pig Balloons and a new faction of insane vaudeville showgirls.

That rat guy in a fat guy is great.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
So apparently some company is making these:

And while I'm at it, here's a cool little Warpstone tutorial for all of you considering Skaven now thanks to the Island of Blood:

http://stahlyspaintstation.blogspot.com/2010/07/glowing-warpstone-scource-lighting-mini.html

bhsman fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 31, 2010

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
edit: stupid typo

Is that base supposed to be a fallen angel and a cleft with people coming out of it?

/\/\/\

bhsman posted:

When I first looked at that first pic I went: "what kind of stupid conv-.. :hawaaaafap: " (minus the :fh: obviously)

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 31, 2010

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

bhsman posted:

Looks like it'll be a lot of work to make that look good - the majority of its surface area is entirely smooth and textureless, which really isn't what you want on a base.

Edit: Assuming it's supposed to be a base. Whatever it is, the ground areas need texture.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Holy poo poo Tamiya Smoke smells horrible.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Jetfire posted:

Worse than Mechrite Red?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

bhsman posted:

And while I'm at it, here's a cool little Warpstone tutorial for all of you considering Skaven now thanks to the Island of Blood:

http://stahlyspaintstation.blogspot.com/2010/07/glowing-warpstone-scource-lighting-mini.html

What is going on with that ghoulish massage chain??

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

pw pw pw posted:

What is going on with that ghoulish massage chain??

Looks like a horde of demons are crawling out of Hell using the entrails of a dead angel. :rock:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Jetfire posted:

What the gently caress , it's one of the nicest smelling paints out there :confused:

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

enri posted:

What the gently caress , it's one of the nicest smelling paints out there :confused:

I just get a really strong diesel fume from it. Not to my liking. Mechrite Red's just another nose full of crumbled adobe or clay like the other foundations, just a little worse. Why yes, I nose whiskeys as a hobby.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I just got done watching Diary of a Wimpy Kid and thought of this thread :)

[img]http://img.waffleimages.com/0c6917e58c449e97dd5aee0271f7a811279dee5e/arw-diary.dvdrip.xvid.avi_snapshot_01.12.51_[2010.08.01_06.23.07].jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.waffleimages.com/a34bd8908078849eb6a2d9835eb60c22b7289134/arw-diary.dvdrip.xvid.avi_snapshot_01.12.51_[2010.08.01_06.23.39].jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.waffleimages.com/8024cbfd647a953f65918cd12de2d6354488fc8f/arw-diary.dvdrip.xvid.avi_snapshot_01.13.09_[2010.08.01_06.24.49].jpg[/img]

Beffah
Jul 8, 2010

Jetfire posted:

I just get a really strong diesel fume from it. Not to my liking. Mechrite Red's just another nose full of crumbled adobe or clay like the other foundations, just a little worse. Why yes, I nose whiskeys as a hobby.

Personal preference, I guess... I actually prefer Tamiya's because they do smell. :catdrugs:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

bhsman posted:

I was all "why has he got a stupiud balloon-head banner?" and then I scrolled down to see past his feet..... wow.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

sansuki posted:

Actually, one of theiir abilities is called Deliverance. It causes a radius of fear. Also Pig Whisperers have Never Happen... which causes target pig to fly.

And Somer Teeth has Pull My Finger which causes wounds in a template centered in him, but only to non-gremlin figures. I can wait for the expansion in August with exploding Pig Balloons and a new faction of insane vaudeville showgirls.

This game sounds fun as hell. Wish people around here would play something other than 40k all the time. I love 40k and all (a lot actually) but sometimes I buy chocolate ice cream instead of vanilla. Same principle.

Aranan posted:

Worse than Mechrite Red?

Much worse.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Jetfire posted:

Not so much smell but just a warning for everybody, never, ever, ever taste Calthan Brown or whatever the foundation white is called. Dear god that is the foulest tasting thing I've ever put in my mouth.

Beffah
Jul 8, 2010

Fellblade posted:

Not so much smell but just a warning for everybody, never, ever, ever taste Calthan Brown or whatever the foundation white is called. Dear god that is the foulest tasting thing I've ever put in my mouth.

I was once told that everything that felt good/was fun caused cancer. This a case in point?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Beffah posted:

I was once told that everything that felt good/was fun caused cancer. This a case in point?

I've never considered smoking to be good. But, I love me the hell out of some Acai juice, which actually helps prevent cancer, so take from that what you will. :v:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Crossposting this from the WM/H oath thread because I'd like some tips on how to improve. Aside from "don't glue flock to Asphyxious," that is.

Highlighting the round shoulder plates on the deathripper gives me issues, as does highlighting anything on Asphyxious that wasn't his robe or the small metal plates on his arm. I guess that's just a practice thing, but if anyone has tricks to figure out how to place highlights... let me know!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

bhsman posted:

Is this Ex-Illis stuff? The minis looked awesome (and proportionate for a change) but the game has worse DRM than iTunes.

I am not joking. Here's a link to the forums thread where people want to know when they'll be able to trade models with their friends.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Aranan posted:

Crossposting this from the WM/H oath thread because I'd like some tips on how to improve. Aside from "don't glue flock to Asphyxious," that is.

Highlighting the round shoulder plates on the deathripper gives me issues, as does highlighting anything on Asphyxious that wasn't his robe or the small metal plates on his arm. I guess that's just a practice thing, but if anyone has tricks to figure out how to place highlights... let me know!

loving sweet job on these dude, everyone throw some props Aranan's way, these are his first completed models in like 2 years :)

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

What the hell are props, anyways? Regardless, he's free to have them. Those things look sweet.

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax
lmgtfy: props is short for propers which is short for proper respects

propers was motown era slang and props is just the modern spin on it.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

This prop is for you Aranan. As a Necron player, those are making me want to play some Warmachine.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Thanks guys. :)

So, two years to do two models. At this rate, I should have a fully playable army sometime in 2018! Actually, the WM/H oath thing PV is doing has provided an impetus for me to finish some models, so I might actually have a 35 point army by the end of the year. Whee!

NecronSchmecron: You should. Cryx have the visual appearance of Necrons, but with a sense of style. :clint:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Aetilus posted:

lmgtfy: props is short for propers which is short for proper respects

propers was motown era slang and props is just the modern spin on it.

Cool. Always love finding out about stuff like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Is there a tool out there that would easily allow you to bend brass rod at a 90 degree angle? I'm thinking of some sort of pliers that have a V shape to them.

• Locked thread