Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I'm catching up on deadliest catch and holy loving lol at that hilstrandt brother comparing the 55 year old deckhand to an old dog having to be put down. That was hilariously brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Jonathan Hillstrand seems like a great guy, but Andy's kind of a dick.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Kwik posted:

http://gizmodo.com/5600941/have-no-fear-mythbusters-renewed-for-seven-more-years

Apparently at Comic-Con, Jamie and Adam announced that they had renewed their contracts with Discovery for 7 more years.

What the hell are they going to have left to test come 2013, let alone 2017?

By that point it'll be, "Can you REALLY launch my wheelchair off a ramp with rockets? Stay tuned to find out!"

sildenafil
Dec 17, 2004

They're just jealous.

Kwik posted:

http://gizmodo.com/5600941/have-no-fear-mythbusters-renewed-for-seven-more-years

Apparently at Comic-Con, Jamie and Adam announced that they had renewed their contracts with Discovery for 7 more years.

Holy crap, I love Mythbusters, but that seems like a really long time.

FogHelmut posted:

But the only interesting part of the show is dead?

I thought I heard that they were gonna use Billy Mays III. He's still not his father though. :(

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Contract with Discovery, not necessarily contract for 7 more SEASONS though right? Maybe they'll eventually get stuck to doing specials every once and a while. There is no way this show has 7 seasons left, unless they keep trying to do every test that has every completely failed.

Jamie hunts Adam and the build team for sport. I don't know what the myth would be, but it's something I'm sure he's been pitching to the network for a long time.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Surely someone on the Mythbusters production crew is going around libraries and old book stores looking for books like, "1001 Old Wives' Tales" or "Dr Fantabulous' Book of Funny Sayings and Old Saws" or "Myths, Legends and Outright Lies".

Hell, make an agreement with Ripley's Believe It or Not and they could milk another decade out of the show.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

neongrey posted:

And as long as they write word problems for physics tests that involve guns.
Can a gun mounted on a wheeled cart really propel the cart? *strap a mini-gun to a red wagon to test*

Guy Compton
Mar 29, 2007

Might just devolve into "Some guy somewhere on the Internet said [some common household substance] can be used as an awesome explosive! Let's test that out and then just blow something up with C-4 anyway!"

Or they'll just bring back the Folklorist...and then hunt her for sport.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
loving SHARK WEEK!!!

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

neckbeard posted:

loving SHARK WEEK!!!

Yeah I was gonna mention this. What is the excitement all about? It's just sharks, and they do this every year with the same types of shows.

The only good part of shark week was last year when they got Jonathan Goodwin on some shark related show. An escape artist on a shark show. It was great!

They should bring back One Way Out.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

The only things that excited me about shark week was when they tied in other shows to the theme. Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs come to mind.

Looking at this year's schedule, it's just a bunch of one-off specials along with what else they rehash from previous years.

But hey, at least the Colony's untouched this week. :v:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

iastudent posted:

The only things that excited me about shark week was when they tied in other shows to the theme. Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs come to mind.

Looking at this year's schedule, it's just a bunch of one-off specials along with what else they rehash from previous years.

But hey, at least the Colony's untouched this week. :v:

If they catch a shark in that canal and eat it to solve their meat problems... :argh:

AuMaestro
May 27, 2007

They walk into the living area and there's a shark thrashing around on the floor. "Ew, I do not do sharks", says the model.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
The best Shark Week episode of anything was the Monkey Farm on Dirty Jobs.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
I'm looking forward to Ultimate Air Jaws because Great Whites jumping out of the ocean in slow motion and high definition is one of the greatest things ever.

This for an hour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5eJkjMLIRM

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

404GoonNotFound posted:

The South African crazy monkey lady is the best episode because it's such a giant clusterfuck.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

iastudent posted:

If anyone else hasn't heard, we're getting a new season of Pitchmen next month.

I still have unwatched episodes of that on my DVR. I can't see Sully carrying the show alone, team with shamwow guy?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It's with Billy Mays's son isn't it?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Radio Nowhere posted:

I still have unwatched episodes of that on my DVR. I can't see Sully carrying the show alone, team with shamwow guy?

If that ever happened Billy Mays' spirit would descend and jam a container of oxy clean down his throat.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Not my thread, but somebody just made a Colony thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3333881

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Overbite posted:

Yeah I was gonna mention this. What is the excitement all about? It's just sharks, and they do this every year with the same types of shows.

The only good part of shark week was last year when they got Jonathan Goodwin on some shark related show. An escape artist on a shark show. It was great!

They should bring back One Way Out.

Sharks are deadly, beautiful, and are the perfect predator. I learn something new about them every year. Shark week has taught me to both respect and fear them.

Watching a Great White breach the surface in glorious slow motion HD is a visual experience words cannot describe. You should really check out the Air Jaws specials, because the visuals alone are absolutely flabbergasting.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Miracle posted:

Sharks Cats are deadly, beautiful, and are the perfect predator.

Fixed that, you typed sharks by accident for some reason.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I learned that sharked have parasitic copepods inside their mouths that remind me of this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG2xutjEUrM

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Radio Nowhere posted:

Its quite sad I saw a cash for gold commercial with Sully in it the other day. I think he's hit rock bottom after Billy Mays died.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

neongrey posted:

And as long as they write word problems for physics tests that involve guns.

No more loving gun myths ever again please.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

The Nerdist Chris Hardwick was the admin for the Mythbusters Comicon panel, and has posted the audio from the panel for this weeks Nerdist podcast.

http://www.nerdist.com/2010/08/nerdist-podcast-30-mythbusters/

It is really funny, and has a lot of interesting stuff from each of the mythbusters crew.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

It really seems like they're playing up the whole "SHARKS WILL EAT YOU" fear factor this year and it feels incredibly annoying.

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
If Adam and Jamie run out of myths to bust, well... I think it's about time they tried to relaunch Battlebots.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Curly Shuffle posted:

If Adam and Jamie run out of myths to bust, well... I think it's about time they tried to relaunch Battlebots.

But only if actual ballistics were allowed this time.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

404GoonNotFound posted:

Sorry, but the Mythbusters shark myth episode featuring Kari Byron in a bikini trumps that all day.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
drat, where did her boobs go?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Demon Of The Fall posted:

drat, where did her boobs go?

She never had them? Maybe you're thinking of her milk-boobs she has since the baby.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

The_Raven posted:

Sorry, but the Mythbusters shark myth episode featuring Kari Byron in a bikini trumps that all day.

When I listed to the Mythbusters Comic-Con panel podcast I thought to myself that the guy who asked Kari if she was planning on doing another FHM photo shoot had to have been a goon.

This just reaffirms my suspicions.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Kwik posted:

I'd really hate to tell you this but they have only scratched the surface of some areas of myths. There is a ton of electrical myths they have never done. Exploding capacitors, lightning versus rubber, and human vaporization are just three of the common myths that are out there.

Guy Compton posted:

Might just devolve into "Some guy somewhere on the Internet said [some common household substance] can be used as an awesome explosive! Let's test that out and then just blow something up with C-4 anyway!"
I wouldn't actually be surprised if this is true. I know you can make chlorine gas quite esily. Thermite plus ice equals explosion. Candy bar and oxidizer equals rocket fuel.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 4, 2010

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
Watching the second episode of the Colony. Thought it was funny how eye and mouth protection plus rubber boots magically appeared on all of the colonists who were handling the dead pigs.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

Sieg posted:

Watching the second episode of the Colony. Thought it was funny how eye and mouth protection plus rubber boots magically appeared on all of the colonists who were handling the dead pigs.

Last season Vlad needed some sort of gun powder to make his piddly flour bombs... lo and behold - he discovers some shotgun shells. Instead of, you know, building a shotgun, he disassembles the shells for their gun powder.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
Just finished up... noticed more items magically appearing like welding goggles, some kind of snake hunting chaps(?), and noticed while Jim was outside in the middle of the night washing his clothes that they had flood lights on somehow.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

MadScientistWorking posted:

I'd really hate to tell you this but they have only scratched the surface of some areas of myths. There is a ton of electrical myths they have never done. Exploding capacitors, lightning versus rubber, and human vaporization are just three of the common myths that are out there.

I wouldn't actually be surprised if this is true. I know you can make chlorine gas quite esily. Thermite plus ice equals explosion. Candy bar and oxidizer equals rocket fuel.

I would like to see lightning vs car. The rubber wheels thing is bullshit. If there's enough power to jump from the sky to your car, there's enough power to jump the 9" from the bottom of your car to the ground. It's a Faraday cage, tires be damned.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

FogHelmut posted:

I would like to see lightning vs car. The rubber wheels thing is bullshit. If there's enough power to jump from the sky to your car, there's enough power to jump the 9" from the bottom of your car to the ground. It's a Faraday cage, tires be damned.

Top Gear did it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve6XGKZxYxA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

FogHelmut posted:

Actually, I've heard three different explanations. One is that its a Faraday Cage. Another one is that its the skin effect. And finally the last one is that the metal shell overs the path of least resistance.

Scarecrow411 posted:

Last season Vlad needed some sort of gun powder to make his piddly flour bombs... lo and behold - he discovers some shotgun shells. Instead of, you know, building a shotgun, he disassembles the shells for their gun powder.
Flour bombs are piddly? Dust bombs have actually killed people. Also, you would have to be a loving idiot to try and improvise a shotgun.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 5, 2010

• Locked thread