Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Happy Hippo posted:

Fair enough, but my point is that it doesn't always go for easy yucks. It challenges the reader in ways that most webcomics don't.

You've got my interest - Tell me more :)

I've never really seen it as more than "Theres a cat saying something wacky" and "oh god, whats gonna happen next" which probably means I have no soul :smithicide:

Which I hasten to add doesnt mean I dont enjoy it, I just never understood when it went past being just a web comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
I think this is probably one of my favorite arcs so far.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Manwithastick posted:

You've got my interest - Tell me more :)

I've never really seen it as more than "Theres a cat saying something wacky" and "oh god, whats gonna happen next" which probably means I have no soul :smithicide:

Which I hasten to add doesnt mean I dont enjoy it, I just never understood when it went past being just a web comic

I'm not saying that I appreciate the comic on a deeper level then you plebs or any crap like that, just that arcs like Cartilage Head don't even attempt humor really.

For the record, I like Achewood best when the cartoon animals smoke weed and say wacky poo poo and talk all raw about getting rutty.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Happy Hippo posted:

I'm not saying that I appreciate the comic on a deeper level then you plebs or any crap like that, just that arcs like Cartilage Head don't even attempt humor really.

For the record, I like Achewood best when the cartoon animals smoke weed and say wacky poo poo and talk all raw about getting rutty.

Apologises, I wasnt accusing you of Hollier than thou thinking or anything, I was just wondering if I missed anything :P

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
I haven't really been enjoying this arc because it feels like it's dragging. This is mostly due to the slow release schedule (which is unavoidable with these long-form comics the story is being presented in) and all the dangling plot threads I want resolved.

I remember feeling exactly the same when reading the Lash of Thanatos arc last year, but when I re-read it a few weeks back, I enjoyed it much more as a complete story without all the breaks in between. I'm sure I'll feel the same way about this arc as I did about that one when I can read it all in one fell swoop.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Happy Hippo posted:

They don't even have to be talking about getting rutty. I love the faces he makes when he swears: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01142002

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Manwithastick posted:

Apologises, I wasnt accusing you of Hollier than thou thinking or anything, I was just wondering if I missed anything :P

No, I apologize to you. I didn't mean for you to think that I took offense (I did not), I just wanted to be clear to everybody that I wasn't trying to be all :smug: about cartoon bears giving blow jobs in murder-vans.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I don't care what happens, I just treasure the fact that Achewood is a celebration of the English language people.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm really enjoying this arc, it's wonderfully creepy and disturbing while still managing to make me laugh out loud. I can certainly see why some people wouldn't like it though.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
Honestly, I don't mind the arc in the sort of platonic sense. I love Nice Pete, and like I said, I've been okay with this up until about the vocabulary test bit, maybe a a comic or two after. (I really liked the unhinged narrator, for instance.)

I'm fine with the idea of the arc, I'm not getting grossed out by Teodor giving old gay men BJs, I'm not filled with righteous indignation about homosexual representation, etc. My dislike largely stems from the agonizing update schedule, which makes the plot seem endless, and not only endless but meandering. The icing on the decidedly not-sat-upon cake is that dialogue of the two rednecks is horrifically overwritten to the point that it's generally unreadable.

Normally I wouldn't care about the last bit so much, since the dialogue is wonderfully executed as a general rule and the thickness worked when they seemed like short-term gag characters, but since they returned and basically carried the last two cartoons I was pretty disappointed.

EDIT: Also, holy hell, Kanye West really does tweet like Ray.

H.P. Shivcraft fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 1, 2010

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Whatever he's doing, I just hope Onstad never reads the comments in assetbar. At least not the ones from the latest comic, dear god. It's one thing to hear people whine about your update schedule, but what would it feel like to learn your fanbase is ...well, like the dudes at assetbar are. Seriously. :smith:

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

I think it's probably nothing new to him. I seem to recall he briefly hung out at the unofficial Achewood forum years ago but they scared him off.

Actually, I just checked to see if it was still alive (it is), and found this, which explains more history than I knew. Assuming it's accurate.

quote:

Back in 2003, when the world was new, there was a message board called Dumbrella. On this board was an Achewood fora, and Onstad himself was the moderator. The board regulars - including myself and some others who are still active here - became friends and started occasionally drifting off-topic. (OK, more than occasionally.) Additionally, while we were all drawn together by a mutual love of Achewood, we more often than not disagreed (and still usually do) about which strips were good, and which ones were "meh." Onstad, working hard on launching his career as an artist (the comic was not quite two years old at the time), abruptly and unceremoniously decided to close down the board. Our Fearless Leader, Jough, generously volunteered to host a new board, and I was elected co-admin. We lived in relative peace and harmony until four years later, when Onstad decided to start AssetBar. We, the fans who have been there buying t-shirts and hoodies from the beginning, felt betrayed. And we passed that bitterness and betrayal on to you, the AssetBar user!

I'm not actually linking to the forum because even two pages into the thread I pulled this from they're sounding like a bunch of bitter dicks and no one should read it.

also you can't have "a fora" goddammit

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
I'm an ex-Dumbrellite (it's dead, thank god) from way back and that's pretty much accurate, as I remember it. I didn't post much, and I didn't follow their little splinter group out, since cliquishness on message boards annoys the poo poo out of me. I was actually kinda glad that Onstad got away from Dumbrella when he did, as it was a terrible place brimming with sycophants. (If I, too, sound like a bitter dick, it's because by around 2005-ish me and some pals actually lost real life, living, breathing human friendships to what amounted to forum drama. ~internet~)

I suppose the moral is: fans of things are always terrible

H.P. Shivcraft fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 1, 2010

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Out of curiosity, I googled up the forum in question. Before anything else, they make it such a giant pain in the rear end to register that it's hardly worth it, just to presumably be poo poo on for existing on assetbar.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Javid posted:

Out of curiosity, I googled up the forum in question. Before anything else, they make it such a giant pain in the rear end to register that it's hardly worth it, just to presumably be poo poo on for existing on assetbar.

assetbar user 'plummet' posted:

False.

I ain't gonna pay no tenbux to post anywhere unless I get a blowjob and a cake every month.

I don't even pay for Achewood, and I loving LOVE Achewood.

:smugdog: is his icon too. BUT so far goons are most sane people I've seen discuss Achewood. Let's stay that way too, guys :3:

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
My wife said she saw Roast Beef's human form at work the other day. I'm trying to imagine what that could even look like.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Time Cowboy posted:

My wife said she saw Roast Beef's human form at work the other day. I'm trying to imagine what that could even look like.

All wearing one size too small button up white work shirt, even on Casual Fridays

Wearing a pocket protector with pens every single day

Hair all super wet-looking, always combed down

Never bothering to shave, because why bother, but never letting get too bushy, so it's groomed to perpetual 9-o'clock shadow

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Revol posted:

All wearing one size too small button up white work shirt, even on Casual Fridays

Never bothering to shave, because why bother, but never letting get too bushy, so it's groomed to perpetual 9-o'clock shadow

His shoes, sad old leather things with mismatched laces.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Still no update? Is it time we sent a federal agent to Chris's house?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

SeanBeansShako posted:

His shoes, sad old leather things with mismatched laces.

He turns to talk to you, only to trail off and walk away.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Beef, you keep typing out the same reply, then deleting it each time.

How come?

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Reading the strip again, Onstad really captures the rear end of a woman of a certain age/weight. Well done, sir.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Wandering Knitter posted:

He turns to talk to you, only to trail off and walk away.

As for Ray, he is the guy who always dresses for the beach unless the weather says otherwise. The classiest males designer beachwear too.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

SeanBeansShako posted:

As for Ray, he is the guy who always dresses for the beach unless the weather says otherwise. The classiest males designer beachwear too.

He's the white guy who acts black, yet is not a wigger. He actually pulls it off, and you don't hate him for it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Time Cowboy posted:

Whenever I think of a "human" Roast Beef, I think of Brian from Spaced

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Revol posted:

This is a depressingly accurate depiction of my workday appearance :smith:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Wolfsheim posted:

This is a depressingly accurate depiction of my workday appearance :smith:

Next you're going to tell us that you have trouble going to the grocery store because of Depression.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Is there any news of what's going on with the third collection? I preordered it at the beginning of the year and I think at the time it was due around May, however it keeps on getting bumped back - the last I heard it was now due some time in November.

I just hope this isn't one of those eternal delays and the book never comes out...

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
What's this thread doing down there when there's a new strip?

(the hell is a 'mailbox baseball'?)

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Ahh, I think Roast Beef and Emeril will be able to save Teodor.

Although I'm confused how Roast Beef got "Teodor is having gay sex that he probably doesn't enjoy" from "a half-eaten cheeseburger". I guess we'll learn later.

Unkempt posted:

(the hell is a 'mailbox baseball'?)

It's when you drive down a street hitting mailboxes with a bat. Nice Pete would think it a very high school thing to do.

Wait, what the gently caress happened to Lurquilla?

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Aug 3, 2010

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mailbox baseball is probably when one dude is driving a vehicle and another dude has a baseball bat and just whacks the hell out of any mailboxes they drive past.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yes the little cat Roast Beef is going to save Teodor, yay! Poor little Emeril tries so hard, but he looks fairly onto it when he gets Beef's codeword.

Cobweb Heart posted:

Although I'm confused how Roast Beef got "Teodor is having gay sex that he probably doesn't enjoy" from "a half-eaten cheeseburger". I guess we'll learn later.

I think he was analyzing the bite in the burger and whether it matched Teodor's bite pattern, using SCIENCE.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Ah. I was thinking (A tasty)(slider or mailbox baseball), not (a tasty slider) or (mailbnox baseball).

Now I kind of want a tasty baseball, though.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Oh yes the little cat Roast Beef is going to save Teodor, yay! Poor little Emeril tries so hard, but he looks fairly onto it when he gets Beef's codeword.

I think he was analyzing the bite in the burger and whether it matched Teodor's bite pattern, using SCIENCE.

I love that demostration of Roast Beef's powers of deduction. He's almost like Batman or Sherlock Holmes.

Fake edit: Holy poo poo, that Gilligan's Island/Emily Dickinson does work!

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Young Freud posted:

Fake edit: Holy poo poo, that Gilligan's Island/Emily Dickinson does work!

You can also use "The Yellow Rose of Texas" in that fashion, but the Gilligan's Island song is much funnier.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Cobweb Heart posted:

Although I'm confused how Roast Beef got "Teodor is having gay sex that he probably doesn't enjoy" from "a half-eaten cheeseburger".

Your cheeseburger says a lot about you.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I enjoy that the intelligently depressed Roast Beef has danger codes like Brisket 36 worked out with his friends to handle stress situations. What an unlikely cavalry.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I always loved how Beef and Emeril tore down the disappearance of Philippe. I didn't think I could be pleased with this arc, but it has happened with this development.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
Man just when I was actually, serious this time, beginning to think the wheels had fallen off the Achewoodmobile, Onstad pulls out a classic Beef ex machina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
As somebody who once tried the Dark Side of Oz, "Man there is being tiresome and then there are conspiracy theories about stoner records" is maybe the greatest goddamn thing.