Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
I would double check the wires and make sure they're not fraying or being pinched, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Bob Log posted:

So anyone know where to find a JDM STI GDB Front Grill that'll fit a domestic 02' WRX since my old grill just flew off on the freeway yesterday after the crossmember that the hood attaches to started to tear in half like paper.

We have at least one jdm grill in stock. I'll see what we have.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Does anyone work at a dealership who can tell me what you do to mount the front license plate? Is there a parts kit I can order, or should I just buy a couple threaded inserts and pop them in the bumper? I'm moving to a "Front plate required" state in the next couple of months and I want to make sure I've got everything I need to mount the plates once I get them.

My front bumper has a couple holes where the plate would go, but they're not tapped. I thought about just putting a couple bolts with a nut on the back through the plate to hold it on, but that's going to make it more difficult to change plates.

Edit: Looks like those holes aren't the correct spacing for US plates anyway, or at least that's what I'm reading. I'll probably end up making a bracket of some sorts unless I can find a nice molded one that fits an 05.

LordOfThePants fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jul 29, 2010

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

LordOfThePants posted:

Does anyone work at a dealership who can tell me what you do to mount the front license plate? Is there a parts kit I can order, or should I just buy a couple threaded inserts and pop them in the bumper? I'm moving to a "Front plate required" state in the next couple of months and I want to make sure I've got everything I need to mount the plates once I get them.

My front bumper has a couple holes where the plate would go, but they're not tapped. I thought about just putting a couple bolts with a nut on the back through the plate to hold it on, but that's going to make it more difficult to change plates.

Edit: Looks like those holes aren't the correct spacing for US plates anyway, or at least that's what I'm reading. I'll probably end up making a bracket of some sorts unless I can find a nice molded one that fits an 05.

On 08+ there is a plastic nut that is molded into the bumper cover. You are just supposed to magically line it up and screw in the plate. The plate holder subie sells is just a metal backer plate that does the same thing.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

LordOfThePants posted:

Living in CA, I'm in one of those states. However, when I bought my 08 Dodge Charger I picked it up from the dealer before they were able to damage my front bumper by drilling holes in it to mount the license plate to. I ran that car for 2 years with no front license place, didn't have a single issue.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I'm getting a nice whirring sound from my trans area when I let my clutch out. It's more pronounced in first and reverse, but happens in all gears. I've got a state inspection tomorrow and was going to have them look at it, but I was wondering if you guys had any insight.

130k 2002 2.5RS 5spd

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Slow is Fast posted:

I'm getting a nice whirring sound from my trans area when I let my clutch out. It's more pronounced in first and reverse, but happens in all gears. I've got a state inspection tomorrow and was going to have them look at it, but I was wondering if you guys had any insight.

130k 2002 2.5RS 5spd

My 03 wrx does it too. Pretty sure it's normal.

scradley
Aug 18, 2005

Slow is Fast posted:

130k 2002 2.5RS 5spd

I had that wurring sound on my 06 wrx transmission, it sounded more like a grinding though. it was barely noticeable when I first got the car but after 2 months it got pretty loud. It was the loudest in the lowest gears but in 4th and 5th it was real silent. turns out it was something like the input shaft was cracked or something, they never went in depth what failed. Dealership just dropped a new one in no questions asked. What you described sounds pretty normal sound, even with my new transmission I get some whurring. If you think its getting louder then Id be worried. Seeing as you are driving a 2.5 which has alot less transmission crushing torque I dont think there is any damage.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I just joined the ranks of Subaru Owners in Alaska. I bought an 03 Forester X with 80,000 miles on it. The seller had new head gaskets and timing belt put in. Hopefully I will be picking it up by the end of next week.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Brought my RS to the dealership today. Passed inspection. Had them listen to my trans. They're saying it's something with the clutch (throwout bearing? who knows till we get it open), which I agree with since it's long over due for one. I can get a full kit for $340 through the dealership, so I think I'm going to go that route.

I've got access to tools and a lift, but don't know what the gently caress I'm doing. This is going to turn out awesome!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slow is Fast posted:

I've got access to tools and a lift, but don't know what the gently caress I'm doing. This is going to turn out awesome!
Quick google found the RS25 guys discussing it.

From what I've heard it's not a difficult procedure; don't forget to uninstall the clutch fork before you drop the trans.

Wish I had a lift. :( Then I'd show them. Show them all.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

Oregon Subaru AI goons lend me an opinion - my POS is throwing the CEL code for evaporation system and Surgeline told me they can't do anything and to take it into the dealership - What Subaru dealership do you guys recommend? I can't say there's been much of a positive experience with Carr so I'm open to alternatives, thanks all.

FormulaXFD fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 31, 2010

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
Time to join this club!

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

superdylan posted:

Time to join this club!

Good choice

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
DGM is definitely the colour I'd get another WRX in. Maybe not an STI, since an STI should be more ostentatious.

Congratulations on your 2011.

Interesting that it says "Fill after Aug 1" - we're not supposed to be getting the 2011 WRX/STI in until mid-September (and I want to test drive a new STI sedan pretty hard).

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

superdylan posted:

Time to join this club!

Are you Mr. Wiggins of camera mastery? Based in Eugene (or at least used to be?)

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
Well I sheared off a mudflap 2 tracking this weekend, what were you all recommending pages and pages back?

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

superdylan posted:

Time to join this club!

Haha -- I did the same thing on the 22nd for a swp 5-door sti w/nav.

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid

FormulaXFD posted:

Are you Mr. Wiggins of camera mastery? Based in Eugene (or at least used to be?)

Maybe, do I owe you money?

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
Anyone in here know the inner diameter of a 2005 17" Legacy GT wheel? That has to be common knowledge right? :smith:

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

superdylan posted:

Time to join this club!

Amandyke posted:

Good choice

Seat Safety Switch posted:

DGM is definitely the colour I'd get another WRX in. Maybe not an STI, since an STI should be more ostentatious.
Pshaw, SWP is where it's at. - http://syphon.us/pics/wrx.JPG

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

superdylan posted:

Maybe, do I owe you money?

Oh no not at all. Just remember you from Lunchbox's and uh .. I can't remember Wes' shop's name. Anyway their gymkhana events.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Got an APv2 for $400 off a guy on NASOIC. Loaded the stage 1 map and ho-lee poo poo!

Boosting waaaay sooner. It's pretty sweet. I totally recommend it.

A custom tune is better, but this helps with diagnostics, data logging, and gives me easy maps up until I get a TBE.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
How involved is actually loading a map off an AP like that? I don't want to void my warranty, but I really want to try it out. Is there any wiring involved or is it really plug-and-play with an easy way to revert it?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

It's exactly plug and play.

There's two green connectors under the dash next to the steering column. You connect them, and it puts the car into 'test mode' (this is a Subaru thing, not a Cobb AP thing). Then you plug the AP dongle into the OBD-II connector under the steering column, then USB cable connects to the AP.

It identifies your car, then saves a copy of all of your old ECU. After that it puts on the map of your choice. Then you disconnect the green test connectors and you're golden.

If you are worried about the warranty (like me) you can uninstall it, and it will copy the old ECU and data back over the AP ECU.

I don't think Subaru can tell if you do this.

The biggest risk (aside from running the wrong maps for your mods, but Cobb will tell you what's compatible... and you probably don't have mods if you are worried about warranty. ANYWAY--) The biggest risk is if you disconnect the thing or unplug the USB while flashing the map the first time. This is standard for flashing any firmware though, from a computer BIOS, to a TV, to a calculator.

Ultimately though, there is some unpredictably with any mod, so it's still use at your own risk. But this is pretty safe and a lot of fun.

Edit: http://www.accessecu.com/support/apinstall.mov

itskage fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 3, 2010

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Googled this but no joy... I'm looking for rather practical opinions.

I have 2008 Impreza 2.5i, bought right here in Canada 3 weeks ago.

Now, it can take 4 people easy... I did that this weekend, but can it take five?

Me as driver, Dad as middleaged lawyer, Step-Mum as housewife and a 10 and 9 year old as younger brothers whom I must discover that crisps are not allowed in it!? Plus luggage from the airport.

Seriously, have folks used this for five on 2-4 hour road trips?!

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Heners_UK posted:

Now, it can take 4 people easy... I did that this weekend, but can it take five?

Me as driver, Dad as middleaged lawyer, Step-Mum as housewife and a 10 and 9 year old as younger brothers whom I must discover that crisps are not allowed in it!? Plus luggage from the airport.

Seriously, have folks used this for five on 2-4 hour road trips?!

I don't know how much more room the 2008 base has over an 06 WRX, but I feel bad just taking 4 people anywhere. Especially when we could take my girl friend's 07 Civic.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Just FOUR people!? Meaning one less than five?! :ohdear:

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

So do the APs lock themselves to your VIN or something, or does some part of it always stay connected to the car? People swear up and down that the AP will make the thing come alive so I'll give it a go this friday, but in prep I couldn't find anything in the manual.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
I could see five being a bit cozy depending on how large the involved parties are, however:
http://collegecars.wordpress.com/2009/06/15/review-2009-subaru-impreza-2-5i-premium/

quote:

... the backseat isn’t about to be confused with a Maybach’s, but I was able to cram three medium-size adults into it for a two-hour drive to a New Jersey barbecue.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's doable, 4 is fine if the front seat occupants don't have to slide the chairs too far back. I can imagine that the hump in the middle can be a little annoying for the center position though. Just make sure that the back seat folks are okay sharing a little leg room. 9 & 10 year olds are fine I'm sure. The trunk isn't huge on the wagon, don't have much experience with the sedan. I personally always pack light so it never really bothers me.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Once it's installed and the map is flashed you can unplug it. You can't just go plug it into some other car and flash maps because it's locked to that ecu.

It's worth it to stick the thing in a mount somewhere and leave it plugged in as a gauge and datalogger

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

When you restore the car back to factory does that unmarry it?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yes one you uninstall the ap and go back to the stock map you can install it on another subaru

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Kageneko posted:

It's exactly plug and play

If you are worried about the warranty (like me) you can uninstall it, and it will copy the old ECU and data back over the AP ECU.

I don't think Subaru can tell if you do this.

Yes they can if they can be bothered to do it.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Syd posted:

Anyone in here know the inner diameter of a 2005 17" Legacy GT wheel? That has to be common knowledge right? :smith:

Just went out and measured. 387 mm +/- 1mm at the slimmest (closest to the wheel face) and 414mm at the widest (farthest from the face).

What car are they going on? How much did you pay?

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Sterndotstern posted:

Just went out and measured. 387 mm +/- 1mm at the slimmest (closest to the wheel face) and 414mm at the widest (farthest from the face).

What car are they going on? How much did you pay?

Cool, the out to out measurement of my caliper to edge of rotor is around 340-350mm or so. They're going on a '10 Legacy GT, paid $300 US.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Heners_UK posted:

I've fit five people in my '06, and I can't possibly see the '08 being more restrictive back there. The only problem is if yours has the crazy "build it yourself" centre seatbelt, in which case you might have to deal with a bit of griping as they fish it out from below the seat cushions and put it together.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Heners_UK posted:

Just FOUR people!? Meaning one less than five?! :ohdear:

Rule of thumb: The number of seatbelts you have is the number of people you can fit in your car.

Comfort is subjective and luggage space is why we have roof racks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
In May my 04 Outback (H6 beaner) had the freon recharged. Now 2 months later the AC decides when it feels like working. It's blowing hotter air than it is outside. Usually it starts blowing hot when the car has been sitting in traffic for awhile.

It has the factory sound system so no ones meddled with crap behind the console as far as I know.

Any ideas what this could be besides a leak? Luckily the shop I go to guarantees its work so getting this checked out shouldn't be that big a deal to get them to check it out again.

:sigh: