Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hung Yuri posted:

So say I get a gen3 ipod touch, can I upgrade it to the latest version and jailbreak it? what does jailbreaking even give me

This seems to be the link to visit; http://jailbreakmatrix.com/ It looks like 4.0 users on any device, can't jailbreak yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Karthe posted:

Gen3 Touches come with the iOS 3.2. iOS 4 has multitasking, homescreen customization, folders for sorting apps, and Airplane mode for easily turning off WiFi, as well as threaded e-mail and some other smaller features.

Gen2 and earlier Touches can upgrade to iOS 4, but if I recall correctly they don't get neither multitasking nor homescreen customization. Folders are still in, though, so for that alone I would upgrade an older device to iOS 4!

3.2 was an iPad-only OS. The third-gens and the 8 GB may still come with 3.1.3 but they can be upgraded for free to 4.0. First-gens are locked out of iOS 4.

The 8 GB is not a third-gen model. It's the second-gen model. The third-gen models are the 32 GB and 64 GB.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Godzilla07 posted:

3.2 was an iPad-only OS. The third-gens and the 8 GB may still come with 3.1.3 but they can be upgraded for free to 4.0. First-gens are locked out of iOS 4.
Oh, you're right, my bad! Looks like I'm 0-2 this thread :downs:

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

I said come in! posted:

The 8GB Ipod Touch disables multitasking. The other versions of the 3rd gen touch will have multi-tasking. There is no jailbreak that I am aware of currently for 4.0. If someone knows of one, I will love you because I really want to jailbreak my touch again.

redsn0w works on 2g touches on iOS4. It enables native multitasking on them, which is quite nice.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I will say one thing about the 4.0 upgrade and that is the much improved syncing. Backups, which used to take an eternity if you didn't X out of it, now take a fraction of the time and syncing apps and music is easily twice as fast.

Your mileage may vary but I noticed they mentioned improved syncing at the bottom of the upgrade notes and I'm very happy to see Apple wasn't lying. Poor syncing times was one of my few complaints about the Touch but its not just tolerable now but working at a pace one would expect from such a product.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
So, have they figured out how to jailbreak iOS 4.1 and are awaiting it's release, or do they have no idea how to jailbreak the ipod touch 3g w/ iOS 4.0 in general?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What's a good way of cleaning headphones? I've been taking my ipod to the gym, and the white cable has started to yellow a bit. Is there a safe way of cleaning it?

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

Calaveron posted:

What's a good way of cleaning headphones? I've been taking my ipod to the gym, and the white cable has started to yellow a bit. Is there a safe way of cleaning it?

Little bit of rubbing alcohol and bounty.

King of Spit
May 18, 2006
So, for the 2nd time in the last month and a half my Ipod broke.....pretty frustrating.

In early June I was watching a game on MLB At Bat on the Ipod, it froze and wouldn't power back on regardless of what I tried. I had to bring it in to Apple and they ended up giving me a new one, but my warranty expired just a week later. Fast forward to now, I'm listening to some music on it through the FM adapter in my car, and one of the songs starts skipping. I take it down, look at what it's doing, and it just stops doing everything, and shuts it self down. It won't power back up now, and I'm pretty sure it's the same as just a few weeks ago.

I don't know if I can talk myself into buying a 3rd Ipod Touch over the last year (I had one stolen as well, awesome luck with these things). Is there anything I can do besides go to an Apple Store and bitch at them for giving me a broken product?

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Wax Lion posted:

It's probably a little slower, and I think you lose like 200 mb in storage. Folders is the biggest change I noticed on mine, other than some minor aesthetic ones. Apparently, wifi stays on when you sleep it now, which is useful for internet radio--did internet radio really not work on sleeped iPod touches before this? I don't know because i only recently started listening to Slacker.

Jailbreaking has made it pretty worthwhile for me. I get multitasking and the orientation lock that I so desperately wanted. I can't believe I didn't jailbreak earlier. SBSettings is reason enough to go for it.

Actually, about that internet radio in iOS4--this really isn't working on my iPod touch. Whenever I sleep it while listening to Slacker Radio it only takes like 2 songs before the music starts stuttering and then the app crashes. It's very annoying.

may not want to do this.

with one of the jailbreaking utilities you have the option of turning multitasking and homescreen wallpapers on but apple added shadows behind all of the icon names which basically kills your touch's memory.

and multitasking...oh god multitasking. basically, it takes snapshots of your apps and puts most recently opened ones onto your dock without letting you decide whether you want them there or not. the multitasking is only for certain apps, and the whole thing really just slows my device down to a screeching halt, it takes forever to do anything, stutters constantly unless i'm closing stuff in sbsettings anytime i do anything at all, etc.

you can get something called Remove Recents that stops your touch from displaying recents and you can use Backgrounder to kind of stop certain things from multitasking, but in 3.1.2 i could have a couple things in the background and still be able to use my touch without getting angry at it.

plus like almost 60% of the apps dont really work yet in iOS4 and while winterboard works theming isn't guaranteed to work at the moment.

if youre jailbroken don't go to iOS4 because it isn't a guarantee you can go back to 3.1.2 where everything works fine. especially on a 3GS or a 3rd Gen ipod touch.

and it's not like i'm running much from Cydia...I've put on like 4 things from Cydia on iOS4 and I had better performance on 3.1.2 with 15 and a full theme.

there are some good upsides; the real Apple folders app has cool animations, I'm liking the ipod touch controls and rotation inhibitor, my mailboxes are all integrated, and i can make real playlists in the music app itself.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jul 19, 2010

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I would love for an option to disable fast app switching on an App by App basis. Backgrounder does the whole process much more intuitively to be honest... I don't feel like I really need a multitasking bar at the bottom when quite often going to the home screen and touching the place where I know the icon is at is much quicker.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
I've looked over the past couple pages of this thread and didn't see anything so sorry if this has already been brought up.

I've had an ipod touch since early 2009 that I've used daily since I bought it. One thing that has always owned about it was the incredible battery life.

Ever since I updated to OS4, I the battery does not last the night.

I used to be able to toss it onto the charger every few days when it got down to maybe half a charge, but now if I don't remember to bring it in and plug it in, it doesn't work in the morning.

I've googled around and obviously other people are bitching about the same problem. So I have a couple questions that hopefully somebody can help me out with.

1. Has anybody else heard of this problem and know of the cause? I've read that it is due to the new multi-tasking features they added. Frankly I don't give a poo poo since before the update I was able to have music playing in the background while using the device for other things, and for me that is multi-tasking enough.

2. Can I downgrade back to 3.1.3? I still have my backups and such so I don't care if it wipes the device. I've never downgraded but I've read that it cannot be done from 4.0 to 3.1.3 for some unexplained reason.

3. I've not bothered to ever jailbreak my device, but if I cannot downgrade will doing so offer any kind of help?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Linux Nazi posted:

I've looked over the past couple pages of this thread and didn't see anything so sorry if this has already been brought up.

I've had an ipod touch since early 2009 that I've used daily since I bought it. One thing that has always owned about it was the incredible battery life.

Ever since I updated to OS4, I the battery does not last the night.
I'm going to bet that your problem is wifi-related. Starting with iOS 4, the wireless connection doesn't shut off even if you lock the device - this is by-design, so there's no way around it. The solution is to turn off the wireless, or even easier, turn ON the new Airplane Mode in Settings!

I had this same problem with my Touch 3G when I upgraded to iOS 4, but once I found out about the change to wifi, then I just remembered to turn on Airplane Mode when I wasn't using it and got my typical battery life back!

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Karthe posted:

I'm going to bet that your problem is wifi-related. Starting with iOS 4, the wireless connection doesn't shut off even if you lock the device - this is by-design, so there's no way around it. The solution is to turn off the wireless, or even easier, turn ON the new Airplane Mode in Settings!

I had this same problem with my Touch 3G when I upgraded to iOS 4, but once I found out about the change to wifi, then I just remembered to turn on Airplane Mode when I wasn't using it and got my typical battery life back!

Welp that would make sense. Seems like a pointless change, there was never an issue with how it was setup previously, and I use the wireless on it all the time.

Thanks for the heads up.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The design is meant for the next generation itouch devices which have a really great battery. The iphone 4 goes for a very long time even with the wifi going. The ipod touch 4 will have the same battery.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

The ipod touch 4 will have the same battery.
I choose to believe that this is true, and that the next-gen Touch will get a camera. September cannot come fast enough :fap:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The camera with face time support and the same look/design of the iphone 4 seems almost confirmed at this point. But you know how Apple rumors can be. I can't wait for the new generation touch either.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Going to be sad if they stick the Touch with some piddly 3MP camera, though, as some rumors have suggested.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
An 8MP camera will perform just as poorly as a 3MP camera if it's given a crummy plastic lens to focus through. The advantage of more megapixels means more blurry pixels on your huge resolution photo.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I get the basis for that but is there any question as to whether the 4's camera outdoes the 3G/3GS?

cadex
Jun 6, 2003

Operationally, God is beginning to resemble not a ruler but the last fading smile of a cosmic Cheshire Cat.

Karthe posted:

Thanks for this. I came to the thread specifically to get some info on why the battery life on my gen 2 touch has suddenly gone south since I upgraded to iOS 4. I'll give airplane mode a go tonight and see how I get on.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

New iTunes came out tonight, supposedly fixed the bugs some had with syncing iOS4 so I'm hoping 4.1 goes smoothly here in a few weeks.

BagelMaster
Mar 20, 2008
I'm encountering a bug while playing music or any audio file on my iOS, 3rd Gen iPod touch. The volume is rather faint, even with the volume all the way up, until I pause and then unpause the music, after which the music plays at the volume it's supposed to (usually blaring really loudly because I turned it up because it was so faint). Has anyone experienced this?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I am at a big field camp overseas and we have a big communal charge bank based around power converters for us Americans. Someone unplugged my Ipod touch from its charger and plugged it into a Sansa MP3 player. My Ipod touch now refuses to take a charge. Am I totally hosed here?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Sounds like someone shorted something, yea.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Goodpancakes posted:

I am at a big field camp overseas and we have a big communal charge bank based around power converters for us Americans. Someone unplugged my Ipod touch from its charger and plugged it into a Sansa MP3 player. My Ipod touch now refuses to take a charge. Am I totally hosed here?
Did that person stick the Touch's charger into their Sansa MP3 player? Or did they plug your Touch into a Sansa MP3 charger? If it's the former, it might just be the charger that shorted out.

Also, I have no idea how the two would be compatible in any way, unless you're talking about some kind of USB->Wall plug charger :confused:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Yea, I couldn't exactly figure out what he meant but something's busted. I don't know if he tried a different charger or cable or what or if its actually the Touch itself that won't hold one anymore.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

My Ipod Touch was plugged into a Sansa charger. It fits perfectly, the sansa charger even has the little hooks that connect into the sidewall.

Plugging in my touch after this incident would not charge the touch. The battery symbol didn't change to a plug, waking up the device did not show a charging battery ect. After resetting the touch about 5 or 6 times (by holding the on/off button and the home button) the touch began to charge while turned off. I would have to reset the device using the home button and the on/off in combination to get the battery to register its charge.

However my volume buttons stopped working for a long period of time as well. Resetting the touch several more times using the home and on/off buttons restored the volume. I am not sure how long these strange problems will persist.

(trying several different charges, made for Ipods this time, got the same result)

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Okay here again to ask a question. Does the ipod have it's own power cord or is it charged via usb (in a new box)

I ask because the cheapest I can find is a gen1 and it seems most people say it only contains a usb cable or some include that and headphones (i have some sennheiser earbuds that are kinda uncomfortable but i dont have an earbud/headphone shortage)

Also whats this about some of them saying "i updated it to 2.1 which is a $10 value"

Do you have to pay for firmware upgrades?

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

Hung Yuri posted:

Okay here again to ask a question. Does the ipod have it's own power cord or is it charged via usb (in a new box)

I ask because the cheapest I can find is a gen1 and it seems most people say it only contains a usb cable or some include that and headphones (i have some sennheiser earbuds that are kinda uncomfortable but i dont have an earbud/headphone shortage)

Also whats this about some of them saying "i updated it to 2.1 which is a $10 value"

Do you have to pay for firmware upgrades?

It charges via USB. You used to have to pay for firmware updates for the touch, but as of 4.0 it's free.

e: Just noticed you said you were looking at a first-gen touch. The first-gens can't be updated past 3.1.3, which I believe costs $5 now.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 29, 2010

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx posted:

It charges via USB. You used to have to pay for firmware updates for the touch, but as of 4.0 it's free.

e: Just noticed you said you were looking at a first-gen touch. The first-gens can't be updated past 3.1.3, which I believe costs $5 now.

Also, if you really need one, you can buy a wall charger. The USB cable plugs into it, and obviously the adapter plugs into the wall.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
iOS 4 Jailbreak was released over the weekend?

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/08/02/jailbreak-iphone-4.html

Went to jailbreakme.com and am testing this break right now.

EDIT: Well Cydia is now installed on my iPod (3rd gen 64GB) running iOS 4. It's having problems updating the package list but I assume that's because every new jailbreak today is pounding their server. Looks like I can install software ok though! Going to be using so many console apps today.

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 2, 2010

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Which touch are you using it on? Will this work on the 2nd gen? Please report back with your status! Been looking forward to jailbreaking 4.0 on my 2nd gen for sometime now.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Asking this on behalf of one of the kids in our camp. He has a 3rd generation ipod touch 64gb that was stolen on a field trip last week. He has the itunes app for tracking it, but I don't know if that will do him any good, as we're not sure if it was someone at the facility we went to or another one of the kids.

Is apple's track even useful, or if someone reformats it will it just be taken off anyway? I've never used an apple product so I have no idea how they work or sync up with different itunes accounts.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

I said come in! posted:

Which touch are you using it on? Will this work on the 2nd gen? Please report back with your status! Been looking forward to jailbreaking 4.0 on my 2nd gen for sometime now.

I've had my 2nd gen 16gb touch jailbroken for awhile now. I believe I used redsn0w and had absolutely no problems jailbreaking, and haven't had any issues after completing the jailbreak (other than a lot of the cydia apps I had installed previously not being updated yet).

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

I have a question, I used to own a iPod Nano, after I lost it I decided that I really wanted to upgrade to an iPod Touch.

I do kind of have a few questions before I shell out the cash.

1. Should I wait? I see the iPhone got a new model, will a new Touch be coming out soon? Should it be something I have to get?

2. It's primary purpose is to listen to PodCast while I jog, so I was hoping it could function as a pedometer, one small situation is I am in a wheelchair, so unless I want to strap it to my wrist, which is awkward, pedometers don't really work for me.

I was wondering if any sort of App existed that could track my location based on GPS data and give me a pedometer that way?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Mrens posted:

I have a question, I used to own a iPod Nano, after I lost it I decided that I really wanted to upgrade to an iPod Touch.

1. Should I wait? I see the iPhone got a new model, will a new Touch be coming out soon? Should it be something I have to get?

2. It's primary purpose is to listen to PodCast while I jog, so I was hoping it could function as a pedometer, one small situation is I am in a wheelchair, so unless I want to strap it to my wrist, which is awkward, pedometers don't really work for me.

I was wondering if any sort of App existed that could track my location based on GPS data and give me a pedometer that way?

1)If you can afford a newer model then yes, I'd definitely wait. The new Touch should be announced very shortly and it should be terrific

There are apps that can track your location and tell you the distance but those require some kind of a wireless signal which limits the Touch because it just has WiFi. An iPhone with a constant 3G connection would be more ideal.

However, a quick search of google yielded this http://www.ncpad.org/yourwrites/fact_sheet.php?sheet=415 which is a pedometer for handicapped people that can attach to various parts of your body. $25 doesn't sound bad although I'm sure you know more about this than me. From what I could gather, the best resources for wheelchairs are either to use bicycle computers and attach them to your wheel or to use a pedometer like the one above.

Either way, it doesn't seem like you'll be able to use the Touch like you'd want unless I'm missing out on something.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Mrens posted:

Wait, new models should be announced in September. Everyone is hoping that it'll be similar upgrades as the iPhone 4. I'm really hoping for stuff like an HD camera, retina display, bigger memory, microphone, etc...

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

drat I wanted one now :(

See ya in September.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My uneducated, usually wrong predication is that for $200 you'll be able to get the current model (8gb maybe), and for $300 (starting at 16gb and going up from there) you'll be able to get the brand new design.

• Locked thread