Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoOKiE!
Jan 20, 2004

I can has 64 bites now?

joat mon posted:

Motion to withdraw plea on the grounds that the plea was not intelligently made. (not as in you were dumb to plead, but that you did not have enough information to make an intelligent choice to plead)
You'll get better results by getting the videos first and (assuming they're favorable to you) using them to demonstrate not only that your plea was not intelligently made but that that failure mattered. It'll also show you're not just going on a BS fishing expedition to avoid the consequences of your actions, which is the way such procedures are viewed by the decisionmakers. So, you should get an Illinois FOIA (Freedom Of Information Act) attorney too. Actually, FOIA work might be right up your alley; doggedness and squeaky wheeling are important parts of FOIA practice.
Technically I was already granted the option of reopening it based on the points I made in a motion in regards to IL SC rule402 involving standards of pleas. The judge would have opened it that day but she stressed what other charges might come back into play and gave me a few weeks to consider. She said if I didn't show up it would stand and if I did we would go through with it. Unfortunately the prosecutor did his homework and found that I should have filed my motion under the civil code 2-1401 for withdrawing/vacating judgements after 30days whereas I originally was just arguing the fact that the court did not "substantially" comply with the requirements of rule402, therefore making it void. Especially since the record is pretty much silent on everything that happened because they never took a word for word account of what went on when entering the plea as they are required to do if it's a jailable offense.

Thanks for the tips on the FOIA route also. I was thinking about that sort of stuff before but I guess I just figured they destroyed any video shortly after they decided on what to send and since I didn't see what they sent until after 50 days from the judgement, I figured being successful in that was slim to say the least.

JudicialRestraints posted:

If you're too poor for an attorney you might be able to half rear end it by sending letters to your state attorney general asking for help on open records stuff. I know in Wisconsin we have to answer citizen letters.

That said, you might have a long turn around time on that so considering the time specific nature of your need I really don't know of a cheap option to recommend.

Interesting, I'll have to find out if IL works similar. It was really cool when I called a couple resource centers law schools that I was able to get some somewhat informative info(of course with the "this is not legal advice" mumbo jumbo)...it would be great if the attorney general worked similar.

I'm not too concerned with the missing videos as a way to reopen my case since I basically just have to file a similar motion that I already have, but put "rule 2-1401" at the top instead and attach a detailed affidavit to it when submitted. As far as I can tell, anything I would want to preserve on appeal would have to be included in this petition in case they dismiss it for whatever reason so that an appeals court would be able to address the issues since the court records are nearly empty on everything. I think I've decided to just describe my claims of illegal arrest and insufficient evidence in full since even if prosecution knew my plans, saying anything different would be going against the sworn statements of the officer which would also help me, although not as much.

I would, however, like to be playing with a full deck like they are by having access to what I should have been entitled to. Plus, the officer had it out for me from the beginning and in my lawyer's words was being difficult in everything and wanted my "head on a platter, or some other body part..."

***You guys are awesome BTW... You have no idea how nice it is to get some good insight on certain things that aren't really clear after spending months of reading pages and pages of single-spaced, Times fonted, case law. I cleared a weeks of cache from Google Chrome today and it free'd up 500+MB That's a whole lot of space for what is essential 98% text from Google Scholar cache.***

PoOKiE! fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

SWATJester posted:

I don't see that the church is organizing anything here.

Uh, that's why it matters how the facts shake out. :psyduck:

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.
The first time someone shows me a church organizing underage prize fights I am going to join in a heartbeat.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Me too. It would be pretty rad.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

The first time someone shows me a church organizing underage prize fights I am going to join in a heartbeat.

Do you know how long I've been wanting to do a bareknuckle match in a basement? Especially a church basement?

My god. Let's start a church.

natedogcool
Jan 3, 2008

Every time we look at the moon, we can know that Willzyx is up there dancing with the other zypods in his castle.
- edited.

natedogcool fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 5, 2011

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

CaptainScraps posted:

Do you know how long I've been wanting to do a bareknuckle match in a basement? Especially a church basement?

So. In.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CaptainScraps posted:

I am so down with this. Who will we pray to? I am picturing a version of Jesus that looks a bit like Brad Pitt's character from Snatch. (Not Bard Pitt's character from Fight Club)

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Basically this

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Can we claim tax exempt status on the vig?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Here's your pastor:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/11/magazine/11punk-t.html

PoOKiE!
Jan 20, 2004

I can has 64 bites now?

eviljelly posted:

Basically this

Haha, I'd join.

I'd imagine the "church fighters" would be just like the real strict church girls and turn into freaks when unleashed. Would be some of the best fights ever :)

Jeephand
Nov 5, 2009
QUESTION:

I hear again and again from everyone that under no circumstances should you ever talk to police whether innocent or guilty. You simply say "I would need to have a lawyer present before we discuss anything".

example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik

So my very simple and naive question is: Where do you get a lawyer? Do you just look in the phone book? What do cops do when you insist on a lawyer before continuing? Do they back off or take you into the station and let you call a lawyer? If you don't have a lawyer in the queue what do you do?

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn
i will join as long as nobody outside of the legal profession is allowed to punch me

it's unseemly; kind of like being caught dancing with your cook

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Jeephand posted:

Where do you get a lawyer?

You call one if you can afford it, if not you get the public defender.

quote:

Do you just look in the phone book?

I don't recommend it. Ask around if you want to hire somebody.

quote:

What do cops do when you insist on a lawyer before continuing?

Theoretically they must stop the interrogation immediately. In reality they probably ignore you and keep some pressure on a little to see if you have balls and are smart or if they can get you to waive your rights. Just be aware that this is surefire #1 way to get booked and tossed in the can.

quote:

Do they back off or take you into the station and let you call a lawyer?

If you're not already at the station they arrest you and put you in jail and let you sweat with the nice people in there until your arraignment, when you get to talk to a public defender for ten seconds before going back to jail until you post bond. If you have money to pay a lawyer this usually happens quicker and if the crime is minor and you have no priors you may be released without having to post.

quote:

If you don't have a lawyer in the queue what do you do?

You wait until they get around to taking you in for arraignment.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Jeephand posted:

So my very simple and naive question is: Where do you get a lawyer? Do you just look in the phone book? What do cops do when you insist on a lawyer before continuing? Do they back off or take you into the station and let you call a lawyer? If you don't have a lawyer in the queue what do you do?

I know that in Minnesota, the cops have books listing all the lawyers either in the county or in the state - you either use that or a phone book. They'll give you a few calls to try to reach someone. Many criminal defense firms have attorneys on call who get calls routed to their cell phones. My friend who does this calls it the "drunk line" because most of the calls he gets are from people who have been arrested for DWI, but he does get calls from people arrested for other things as well.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Lykourgos posted:

i will join as long as nobody outside of the legal profession is allowed to punch me

it's unseemly; kind of like being caught dancing with your cook

Too bad; when you're jumped in as a Chicage ASA the (ugh) staff persons are permitted and encouraged to strike you vigorously.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

joat mon posted:

Too bad; when you're jumped in as a Chicage ASA the (ugh) staff persons are permitted and encouraged to strike you vigorously.

alternatively, they make you respond to post-conviction petitions until you collapse in mental anguish

Basketofpancakes
Sep 26, 2005
I completely forgot about my subpoena to testify today. They did try to call and remind me, but I ignored it because it was a restricted call. So I slept through a trial where I was supposed to testify against the defendant, due to my own forgetfulness.

What exactly are the possible repercussions to me for this, and what am I supposed to do tomorrow? I was obviously going to call and explain the situation, what else?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Basketofpancakes posted:

I completely forgot about my subpoena to testify today. They did try to call and remind me, but I ignored it because it was a restricted call. So I slept through a trial where I was supposed to testify against the defendant, due to my own forgetfulness.

What exactly are the possible repercussions to me for this, and what am I supposed to do tomorrow? I was obviously going to call and explain the situation, what else?

You are in contempt of court. Best case scenario you get called in again (you need to call the court and say that you are available) and when you arrive explain that you clean forgot and didn't answer the phone because. Don't say you were sleeping.

Worst case scenario the case is over and collapsed because you didn't show up.

They didn't send the police round to knock on your door and drag you to the courtroom though so I'm guessing it wasn't critical. It's very unlikely for there to be any concequences for you though.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That probably depends whether the side that was calling you won or lost. Technically, you are probably in contempt of court, but unless one of the parties or the Court itself drags you in to answer for it, it's possible that nothing happens.

If this is a criminal case and the guy got convicted, for example, the DA probably doesn't care that you didn't show up. People refuse to show up for criminal subpoenas all the time.

Was it actually a trial or just some kind of evidentiary hearing?

Basketofpancakes
Sep 26, 2005
Well, I was sleeping, because I work 11pm-7am and sleep from 9-5. At any rate, I'll just give them a call tomorrow. The office is closed now.

Edit: It was a bench trial for a misdemeanor that I witnessed at my place of work. It has been postponed twice already so far.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Just call and apologize. It's very unlikely that they will waste the time and effort chasing after you for contempt. They should let you know whether you need to go in another time---minor criminal cases like that get bumped constantly and for many reasons. I know that if I had subpoenaed a witness and they didn't show up for trial, and I told the judge I needed that witness's testimony and I had service on the subpoena, most courts would continue the trial.

Just be sure to show up next time.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Jeephand posted:

QUESTION:

I hear again and again from everyone that under no circumstances should you ever talk to police whether innocent or guilty. You simply say "I would need to have a lawyer present before we discuss anything".

example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik

PS he mainly argues that you shouldn't talk to the police when you are a suspect, NOT "under no circumstances." Also, lol at his TTT "credentials."

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

TheBestDeception posted:

Also, lol at his TTT "credentials."

Cum Laude Harvard? pfff that isn't even Yale!

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

yes lets play a game where we compare our north eastern tttoilet schools. Yale might be better than hartford, I don't know; either way they're two run of the mill institutions that stick to a philosophy of "begone foul law, for you are not a subject we teach here within these hallowed halls"

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Whatever legitimacy he might have had is all but gone through his teaching of functional retards. And I was wrong - its FTT not TTT.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

TheBestDeception posted:

PS he mainly argues that you shouldn't talk to the police when you are a suspect, NOT "under no circumstances." Also, lol at his TTT "credentials."

Actually he does say he won't talk to a police officer "under any circumstances" 30 seconds into the video.

Jeephand
Nov 5, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Theoretically they must stop the interrogation immediately. In reality they probably ignore you and keep some pressure on a little to see if you have balls and are smart or if they can get you to waive your rights. Just be aware that this is surefire #1 way to get booked and tossed in the can.

If you're not already at the station they arrest you and put you in jail and let you sweat with the nice people in there until your arraignment, when you get to talk to a public defender for ten seconds before going back to jail until you post bond. If you have money to pay a lawyer this usually happens quicker and if the crime is minor and you have no priors you may be released without having to post.

You wait until they get around to taking you in for arraignment.

So you seem to be saying that you have to talk to the police and go to jail unless you have a family lawyer on speed dial and a couple thousand laying around for bail and lawyer fees? You also seem to be implying that if the crime you are being charged with bears a fine that is less than the price of calling in a lawyer, you should just plead guilty and pay it? I'd really like some straight info on how to handle the whole situation of dealing with cops without sacrificing my rights. Can anyone add more without the "Hey I'm on SA you're hosed now buddy. Har har." routine?

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Jeephand posted:

So you seem to be saying that you have to talk to the police and go to jail unless you have a family lawyer on speed dial and a couple thousand laying around for bail and lawyer fees? You also seem to be implying that if the crime you are being charged with bears a fine that is less than the price of calling in a lawyer, you should just plead guilty and pay it? I'd really like some straight info on how to handle the whole situation of dealing with cops without sacrificing my rights. Can anyone add more without the "Hey I'm on SA you're hosed now buddy. Har har." routine?

No we can't because the cop might conclude that you were doing something more than speeding and suddenly you're on trial for a hit and run 2 nights ago and you're going to jail and we gave you the legal advice that put you there.

I think your analysis is pretty good but you really have to play every situation by ear. Sorry.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Jeephand posted:

Well, Phil's post seems to assume that the policeman has become suspicious and wants to arrest you, but no, there's nothing more to add. However, if a policeman just randomly talks to you, and literally has no cause to suspect that you have done anything (and indeed doesn't suspect so), I doubt he's going to arrest you just because you said that you need a lawyer present.

I don't see where he's saying "if the crime you are being charged with bears a fine that is less than the price of calling in a lawyer, you should just please guilty and pay it." A lot of those fines are going to be municipal code infractions; there may well be a stream-lined, mail-in process to contest those. If you get a parking ticket in Chicago, for example, it comes with instructions to contest either by mail or in person. It even has a hints and tips section on various defences that might be raised; for example, it says you get off free if you managed to get to the parking metre within 10 minutes of the ticket being issued (only once a year, though).

Anyway, you're really not sacrificing your rights if the cop has probable cause to arrest you, and you wind up sitting in jail until the arraignment (or longer if bail is set and you can't pay). If by rights you mean your personal opinion of what your rights are, well then good luck

Lykourgos fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 3, 2010

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Jeephand posted:

No, what I'm saying is if you are suspected of a crime and there is probable cause for your arrest, you will go to jail when you exercise your right to remain silent unless your lawyer is present. If you can't afford a lawyer, then you have nobody on call to run to jail and get you, which means you will wait up to 48 hours (in jail) until you're paraded to court for arraignment and assignment to a public defender. You can look someone up in the jail phone book and who the gently caress knows how good they will be, but they'll probably at least know how to bail you out of jail.

I don't know what about my response made you go "hurf durf not serious." Everyone has this stupid idea that if they commit a crime and get caught, then they can just clam up and say "I want a lawyer" and the police will release them and the next thing to happen will be trial.

In reality, when you are pulled over with a bag of weed in your car, the cop will say "do you mind if I search your car?" Assuming you didn't just smoke out and you've got your wits about you and your eyes aren't all bloodshot and the car isn't hotboxed, you will say "I do not consent to any search and I would like to talk to a lawyer before I say anything."

The cop will say "Okay, well for my safety I'm going to ask you to step out of the car and I'm going to put you in handcuffs. You're not under arrest. Do you have any drugs or sharp objects in your pockets, any guns or other weapons in the car?" And you, being a normal person, will say something like "No" or "okay" and whoops what's that tremor in your voice that's making the cop think you are lying? The inside of your car and your clothes sure bear a strong vegetable matter smell that the cop is familiar with from years of arresting drug users.

Then they will sit you down on the curb for 45 minutes while they call in the K9 to sniff your car. They'll probably talk about the fact that the canine is on the way just within earshot and maybe ask you if you need anything, and maybe you'll stay quiet or maybe you'll start sweating or fidgeting or say something else that will make their probable cause stronger.

If you don't have any drugs they will let you go with your ticket or whatever. If you do have drugs you will go to jail without passing GO and that's that.

Maybe later down the road, your lawyer can fight with the government about whether the search was legal, whether the drugs should be suppressed.

If you are actually charged with a serious crime (that you did commit), and they have you down in the room and are asking you questions, well you might as well clam up and say nothing other than "I don't want to say anything without a lawyer" as long as you can, since while you're in the room you're not in jail and the room is better than the jail if you can stand annoying rear end in a top hat cops. If you're in the room you're going back to jail one way or another so might as well not give them a confession or anything else that will help them.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Jeephand posted:

I'd really like some straight info on how to handle the whole situation of dealing with cops without sacrificing my rights.

First, I think there is a difference between being a citizen and being a suspect. 98% of the time, you'll know if you are a suspect. If you are, you'll want to remain silent. If you're being a citizen, talk to the police. If you're feeling nervous about that, ask if you're a suspect. If you're still got that bed feeling, be quiet. Yes, there are cases where a totally innocent person has been goat-roped into being falsely accused/convicted because of something they said. Your risk of being hit by lightning on your way to work is a lot greater, but you still go to work, right?

The police can ask you any question any time they want to.
If you don't want to talk to them, ask if you are free to go.
If you are free to go, you may go.
If they tell you that you are not free to go, that means they have something slightly more than a suspicion that you were/are involved in a crime.
Once you are not free to go, they are required to read you your Miranda warnings before they ask you any questions.
If you invoke your right to remain silent, they have to decide if they have probable cause (some reason to believe you committed a crime; more than slightly more than a suspicion) to arrest you. If they don't, they'll let you go. If they do, you'll be arrested and taken to jail.
If you invoke your right to counsel and the cops still want to talk to you, the cops have to get you an attorney if you can't afford one. Since the attorney will tell you to be quiet, the cops will instead decide whether they have probable cause to arrest you and send you to jail.

This is totally bare bones; to flesh this out would literally be a book,and even then the book will have a lot of maybes and possiblys and 'this isn't settled.'

If you have the slightest guilty feelings, remain silent.
If think you might have been doing shady things or hanging out with shady people or been in shady places, remain silent.
If you think you might have actually done something illegal, remain silent.
Most people screw up here. They think they can talk their way out of trouble or talk their way out of jail. They can't.

Be polite. Always.
If the cop comes on as a raging rear end in a top hat, ask if you're free to go, remain silent, ask for an attorney, and probably goto jail - its the quickest was out of the situation.

Speeding? The cop already knows you were speeding; that's why he pulled you over. If he asks you how fast you were going, tell him if you know, so long as it's a number less than reckless driving (here, 15 over) Honest about speeding isn't going to tell the cop anything he doesn't know already. This joat mon's opinion, not a the law.

A shooting at your apartment complex? The cop is trying to find out what happened. Shooting people is bad, right? You don't want people shooting people in your apartment complex, right? If you are or you think you might be connected with the shooting in any way, say you don't want to talk. If pressed, remain silent.

The cops knock on your door and want to ask you about that marijuana smell? Remain silent.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

In case it's still not clear, all of this is the same whether you've committed the crime they suspect or not. No hair off the cop's rear end at all if you go to jail and charges are later refused. Have fun!

Jeephand
Nov 5, 2009
joat mon: Nice answer, well done. Thanks.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

I posted this in the Newbie Finance thread but didn't get any bites, so hopefully it's more appropriate here :).

I checked my credit report for the first time a little over a month ago and everything was great except for a collection listed for $600 from an oral surgeon that was paid in full back in 2006. I had my wisdom teeth out when I was 17 and apparently my family never finished paying it off before I turned 18 (I'm 23 now). After ringing the oral surgeon, they said that the debt and the subsequent collection became mine when I turned 18. I vaguely remember getting some strange letter from a collection agency when I was 18, but I just gave it to my grandmother who promised to figure it out. She kept her word and paid it off in 2006, but it still went on my report. Truthfully, I was 18 and had no idea what the hell it meant.

I know I was the one who had the surgery, but can they really transfer the debt/collection to me like that? I was a minor at the time and wouldn't have been able to agree to any such payment terms.

Thankfully the collection agency was very understanding and said since it was paid in full 4 years ago, they didn't really care if it was on my report or not. The item has since been erased from my report, but I'm just curious about the legalities of this. This was all in Pennsylvania if that matters.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

This is an unemployment question (United States)

If I've been collecting unemployment, what happens if I accept an unsuitable job? Say I worked for two days or so and found the situation completely untenable? Would that count as temporary work or would I officially be off unemployment at that time? Could I just not file an unemployment claim for that week?

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

~

Dr. Mantis Toboggan fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 11, 2021

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

It's a temp to hire until I get union approval. It's a dangerous and crazy midnight shift warehouse in the ghetto (a hooker approached my passenger window at a stopsign on the way to work), and almost criminally understaffed. I was essentially lied to in my interview. I was actually interviewed by head of sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoOKiE!
Jan 20, 2004

I can has 64 bites now?

natedogcool posted:

**School money stuff.**

That's really a sucky situation natedogcool and I wish you luck. In case nobody here has the expertise for it, I believe you should ask in CubsWoo's thread about suing/being sued by debt collectors... I was reading very similar questions to yours in there and there's tons of good info.

amethystbliss posted:

**credit stuff**

I think you'll also get a more informed message in CubsWoo's thread also.