Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Shumagorath posted:

Our company's basic screening test has applicants write a modified version of strcmp(). This week, someone submitted some code that just took the two strings and summed their ASCII values char-by-char and made the final comparison based on that.

Well clearly it's a probabilistic version of strcmp().

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

Our company's basic screening test has applicants write a modified version of strcmp(). This week, someone submitted some code that just took the two strings and summed their ASCII values char-by-char and made the final comparison based on that.

This guy has a masters degree from Guelph.

Pretty standard stuff there honestly. As in I see it all the time.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

It would work for reasonably short strings (or if you have reasonably big integers) if you multiply each n'th character's value by 256 to the n'th power. :colbert:

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Vanadium posted:

It would work for reasonably short strings (or if you have reasonably big integers) if you multiply each n'th character's value by 256 to the n'th power. :colbert:

How is this any better then doing a comparison returning -1, 0, 1 on first difference unless I'm using something special that allows me to roll that up in one instruction?

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Well it is more exciting

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
They'll need a bigint class for that, they could implement it as a char array, they'll just have to implement integer comparison.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.
Our e-commerce app allows people to delete their order record information out of the table, just a click of a mouse away and "DELETE FROM ORDER WHERE id=?" gets run. It's not archived anywhere or anything. I just had to piece together a guy's cart from weblogs. :(

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

shrughes posted:

They'll need a bigint class for that, they could implement it as a char array, they'll just have to implement integer comparison.

Luckily, we already have a function for that, or so goes the intuitionistic introduction to recursion.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

code:
/*
 * Copyright (C) 2008 The Android Open Source Project
 * All rights reserved.

int strcmp(const char *a, const char *b)
{
    while(*a && *b) {
        if(*a++ != *b++) return 1;
    }
    if(*a || *b) return 1;
    return 0;
}
:ughh:

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Hmm, there seems to be a case missing…

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

Mustach posted:

Hmm, there seems to be a case missing…

What case is missing? Obviously you can't sort with this, since it returns 0 or 1 instead of -1, 0, 1, but other than that what's wrong?

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003
Illiteracy... what does that word even mean?

Ugg boots posted:

What case is missing?

FileNotFound

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

A A 2 3 5 8 K posted:

FileNotFound
That's the one

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Granted, it's for the boot loader, and only ever used for equality, but why call it strcmp and use strcmp's inverted return convention? And then why not go the extra tiny step further and actually implement strcmp?

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008
The real horror is using strcmp in the first place. strncmp is far safer.

HFX posted:

How is this any better then doing a comparison returning -1, 0, 1 on first difference unless I'm using something special that allows me to roll that up in one instruction?

Comparison functions shouldn't return on first difference to avoid timing attacks on password comparison.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Spazmo posted:

Comparison functions shouldn't return on first difference to avoid timing attacks on password comparison.

You shoudn't store plaintext passwords anyway?

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

pseudorandom name posted:

Granted, it's for the boot loader, and only ever used for equality, but why call it strcmp and use strcmp's inverted return convention? And then why not go the extra tiny step further and actually implement strcmp?
It was the default implementation of strcmp() for a generic platform, which was never used because more specific implementations were available for every supported architecture.

It actually is buggy, but this was not discovered until somebody examined the source code because it was never compiled.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

pseudorandom name posted:

code:
/*
 * Copyright (C) 2008 The Android Open Source Project
 * All rights reserved.

int strcmp(const char *a, const char *b)
{
    while(*a && *b) {
        if(*a++ != *b++) return 1;
    }
    if(*a || *b) return 1;
    return 0;
}
:ughh:
How much of this is useful pointer math and how much would be compiled to the exact same thing if written much clearer? Maybe it's late and just a bad time to do pointer arithmetic.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Spazmo posted:

Reminds me of a hilarious attack vector mentioned in:
Butler Lampson's "Hints for computer system design" --- http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/blampson/33-Hints/Acrobat.pdf --- see at page 5, starting from "Another example".

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Wheany posted:

You shoudn't store plaintext passwords anyway?

You shouldn't store passwords in plaintext or non salted non block level password schemes. Anyway who cares.

HFX fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 3, 2010

mjau
Aug 8, 2008

Spazmo posted:

If you know that at least one of the strings are valid (eg it's a string constant), strcmp is just as safe as strncmp.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Shumagorath posted:

How much of this is useful pointer math and how much would be compiled to the exact same thing if written much clearer? Maybe it's late and just a bad time to do pointer arithmetic.
That's already perfectly readable.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

mjau posted:

If you know that at least one of the strings are valid (eg it's a string constant), strcmp is just as safe as strncmp.

Both strings need to be valid unless (1) you are guaranteed that the possibly-invalid string, if invalid, has at least as many meaningful characters as the valid one or (2) you don't mind reading past the end of a string and either getting garbage results or crashing.

Also, there are very few excuses in this day and age to be using a string representation that doesn't pass around the string length.

mjau
Aug 8, 2008

rjmccall posted:

Both strings need to be valid unless (1) you are guaranteed that the possibly-invalid string, if invalid, has at least as many meaningful characters as the valid one or (2) you don't mind reading past the end of a string and either getting garbage results or crashing.
Well, sure, but strncmp won't help you there. If you just compare against a prefix of the known valid string, you'll get invalid results.

quote:

Also, there are very few excuses in this day and age to be using a string representation that doesn't pass around the string length.
Yeah, but unfortunately that's not built into the language.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

HFX posted:

You shouldn't store passwords in plaintext or non salted non block level password schemes. Anyway who cares.

Well I care in the sense that if your password system would be vulnerable to strcmp timing attacks, you are already doing it wrong.

I just wasn't sure if I missed a joke :(

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Spazmo posted:

... your default comparison function doesn't need to be written for cryptographic security, you have a special function to do that. You think the default strcmp should iterate over my 1 million char string just for funsies?

And it further has dick-all to do with passwords, passwords should be hashed, it's for tokens and other such things that *are* plaintext.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Wheany posted:

Well I care in the sense that if your password system would be vulnerable to strcmp timing attacks, you are already doing it wrong.

I just wasn't sure if I missed a joke :(

No you were doing it right. I was just adding onto what you say. Fundamentally, if you are using a scheme that is somehow broken by knowing the key length, you have bigger issues. Seriously, comparing full length is A level stupid especially when considering running on embedded platforms.

Then again, you would not believe how many people I've met who store passwords in plain text in databases. Apparently using a MD5, SHA-X library is too hard to locate and find for such popular languages as C, Java, C#, etc.

king_kilr posted:

... your default comparison function doesn't need to be written for cryptographic security, you have a special function to do that. You think the default strcmp should iterate over my 1 million char string just for funsies?

And it further has dick-all to do with passwords, passwords should be hashed, it's for tokens and other such things that *are* plaintext.

Thank you.

HFX fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 3, 2010

Lonely Wolf
Jan 20, 2003

Will hawk false idols for heaps and heaps of dough.

HFX posted:

Then again, you would not believe how many people I've met who store passwords in plain text in databases. Apparently using a MD5, SHA-X library is too hard to locate and find for such popular languages as C, Java, C#, etc.

Uh, why should I learn some esoteric library that'll make my life miserable when I'm just going to write the password on a sticky under my keyboard? :downs:

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
I'm not sure if this is a horror, but I'm pretty sure this is some redundant code here:

code:
foreach $Attribute ('attr1','attr2','attr3') {
  if ($Attribute{$Attribute}) {
    print "<tr valign=top><td>",&PrintAttrLabel($Attribute),
          "<td>",&PrintAttr($Attribute,"_new"),"\n";
  }
}
Why? This is Perl: $Attribute is a return from a hardcoded flat list of string values. $Attribute{$Attribute} is treating it like a hash. What happens if you attempt to check the value of an array element like a hash using the string it already contains as the key?

It returns as true. Every time. It's an if statement that is always going to be inherently true :psyduck:

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Rohaq posted:

Why? This is Perl: $Attribute is a return from a hardcoded flat list of string values. $Attribute{$Attribute} is treating it like a hash. What happens if you attempt to check the value of an array element like a hash using the string it already contains as the key?

It returns as true. Every time. It's an if statement that is always going to be inherently true :psyduck:

Er, no.

$Attribute refers to the scalar variable $Attribute. $Attribute{$Attribute} refers to the member of %Attribute (a completely different variable) indexed by the scalar stored in $Attribute.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Zombywuf posted:

Er, no.

$Attribute refers to the scalar variable $Attribute. $Attribute{$Attribute} refers to the member of %Attribute (a completely different variable) indexed by the scalar stored in $Attribute.
I'll check this when I'm in work on Thursday, thanks for the info. Gotta love confusing variable names; especially useful right in the middle of tens of thousands of lines of code.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

mjau posted:

Well, sure, but strncmp won't help you there. If you just compare against a prefix of the known valid string, you'll get invalid results.

Well, we're talking about strncmp and fixed-size buffers here. Using a single call to strncmp to determine semantic equality only works if you're limiting the number of characters of precision anyway. Otherwise, you need some sort of fallback if strncmp returns equal and one of the strings is longer than a single buffer.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Rohaq posted:

I'm not sure if this is a horror, but I'm pretty sure this is some redundant code here:

code:
  }
}

Also you haven't needed to use & to call functions since Perl 4. Please say you're not using Perl 4.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Rohaq posted:

code:
  }
}

loving murder whoever wrote this for not knowing what a template is anyways

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

yaoi prophet posted:

Also you haven't needed to use & to call functions since Perl 4. Please say you're not using Perl 4.
Technically, if you're omitting the parentheses to the function call (because TMTOWTDI), you have to include the & if the function call precedes its declaration.

edit: it only errors out if you're using use strict; without it, it doesn't do anything at all :psyduck:

Dijkstracula fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 3, 2010

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Dijkstracula posted:

Technically, if you're omitting the parentheses to the function call (because TMTOWTDI), you have to include the & if the function call precedes its declaration.

edit: it only errors out if you're using use strict; without it, it doesn't do anything at all :psyduck:

code:
&foo 2;
foo 2;
sub foo { print @_; }

String found where operator expected at wtf.pl line 1, near "&foo "2""
	(Missing operator before  "2"?)
String found where operator expected at wtf.pl line 2, near "foo "2""
	(Do you need to predeclare foo?)
syntax error at wtf.pl line 1, near "&foo "2""
Execution of wtf.pl aborted due to compilation errors.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

HFX posted:

And MD5, or SHA-X, would be the wrong things to use.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

yaoi prophet posted:

code:
&foo 2;
foo 2;
sub foo { print @_; }

String found where operator expected at wtf.pl line 1, near "&foo "2""
	(Missing operator before  "2"?)
String found where operator expected at wtf.pl line 2, near "foo "2""
	(Do you need to predeclare foo?)
syntax error at wtf.pl line 1, near "&foo "2""
Execution of wtf.pl aborted due to compilation errors.
Ah, it seems to behave differently if it's a void function... what I did was
code:
tnathan@tnathan-desktop:~$ cat foo.pl 
foo;

sub foo {
    print "butts";
}
tnathan@tnathan-desktop:~$ perl foo.pl
tnathan@tnathan-desktop:~$ 
tnathan@tnathan-desktop:~$ perl -w foo.pl
Unquoted string "foo" may clash with future reserved word at foo.pl line 1.
Useless use of a constant in void context at foo.pl line 1.
tnathan@tnathan-desktop:~$
I guess the lack of arguments as well as parentheses makes it even more ambiguous :shobon:

Dijkstracula fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 4, 2010

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

shrughes posted:

And MD5, or SHA-X, would be the wrong things to use.

Back when the stock PHPBB (I think) installations used MD5 with no salt or anything for hashing passwords/session cookies I was administrating an underground hacking forum, and one of our rival forums realized that they can impersonate our users by using the same MD5 hash of that user from their database on our forums and then they'd have access as that user.

What'd I do to fix this?

MD5(MD5($password))

:D

Also, I started keeping plaintext passwords in the database, too, so that when their members logged in to our forums we just had their password in plaintext, no middleman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Ugg boots posted:

Back when the stock PHPBB (I think) installations used MD5 with no salt or anything for hashing passwords/session cookies I was administrating an underground hacking forum, and one of our rival forums realized that they can impersonate our users by using the same MD5 hash of that user from their database on our forums and then they'd have access as that user.

What? Where did they find the "MD5 of your password" field?