Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

B&N is splitting stuff a lot... I got Make Way For Tomorrow and My Dinner with Andre today, but The Red Shoes and Black Narcissus (both Blu) aren't until Monday.

Captain Charisma posted:

Might be required by the studio or something

Probably is... but it's justified. Kirk Douglas produced and starred. If anyone deserves to have their name next to Kubrick's, it's him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

After a year of holding out for a Blu-Ray announcement, I finally ordered Juliet of the Spirits. So expect Criterion to announce the Blu-Ray next month.

I also got Blast of Silence. I wanted Elevator to the Gallows, but it's sold out on the website. Maybe I'll take a trip to the mall to pick it up. But there are so many other titles I almost-kinda-sorta want, I'm afraid if they were staring me in the face I'd just go nuts.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
edit: wrong thread

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 27, 2010

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

FitFortDanga posted:

But there are so many other titles I almost-kinda-sorta want, I'm afraid if they were staring me in the face I'd just go nuts.

You would, that's why there can't be a Criterion Store. It'd be like something out of Lovecraft. People would be carried out, clawing at their eyes, screaming: "I NEED THEM! ALL OF THEM!"

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Guys help...

I want to take advantage of the 50% off sale one last time... but I'm tight on money, here's what I'm choosing from(all blu):

-Bottle Rocket
-By Brakhage
-Gomorrah
-M
-Stagecoach
-Wings of Desire

I'm aware that the 50% off sale benefits me the most in terms of getting By Brakhage but apart from Gomorrah it's the blindest-buy I have on the list. I mean I'm aware of what it is but not at all of what's in store when I watch it.

What would you guys recommend as the one I pick up?

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
Get Brakhage because Brakhage owns and if you don't like it there aren't as many in the secondary market as the others so you can have a good asking price for resale

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I agree. If you love avant garde then there's no reason to pass up on the Brakhage Blu-Ray. It's an amazing collection. If not, then I'd suggest maybe getting M.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The specs for Thin Red Line have been updated.

Criterion posted:

•New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Terrence Malick and cinematographer John Toll (with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
•New audio commentary by Toll, production designer Jack Fisk, and producer Grant Hill
•Interviews with several of the film’s actors, including Kirk Acevedo, Jim Caviezel, Thomas Jane, Elias Koteas, Dash Mihok, and Sean Penn; composer Hans Zimmer; editors Billy Weber, Leslie Jones, and Saar Klein; and writer James Jones’s daughter Kaylie Jones
•New interview with casting director Dianne Crittenden, featuring archival audition footage
•Thirteen minutes of outtakes from the film
•World War II newsreels from Guadalcanal and the Solomon Islands
•Melanesian chants
•Original theatrical trailer
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic David Sterritt and a 1963 reprint by James Jones

* Ben Chaplin interview is gone
* Outtakes specified at 13 minutes
* "Melanesian chants" added

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009

LightsGameraAction posted:

Guys help...

I want to take advantage of the 50% off sale one last time... but I'm tight on money, here's what I'm choosing from(all blu):

-Bottle Rocket
-By Brakhage
-Gomorrah
-M
-Stagecoach
-Wings of Desire

I'm aware that the 50% off sale benefits me the most in terms of getting By Brakhage but apart from Gomorrah it's the blindest-buy I have on the list. I mean I'm aware of what it is but not at all of what's in store when I watch it.

What would you guys recommend as the one I pick up?

I agree with the other two posters. By Brakhage is the nicest blu-ray set I own, easily.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Please make sure you get The Red Shoes and Black Narcissus, too. I can't recommend them enough, between the films themselves and the near-perfect remasters.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Somebody give me a good sampling of Brakhage's work to check out on youtube or something that'll give me an idea of what I'm getting into, because I'm having a hard time convincing myself not to bite the bullet for the price (like $31 after every discount) as well.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

OK, here's a handful. Some of these I like, some I hate but they should give a decent representation of what the first anthology is like.

Window Water Baby Moving

Mothlight

Night Music

Glaze of Cathexis

Water For Maya

Crack Glass Eulogy

The Dead

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

OK, here's a handful. Some of these I like, some I hate but they should give a decent representation of what the first anthology is like.

Window Water Baby Moving

Mothlight

Night Music

Glaze of Cathexis

Water For Maya

Crack Glass Eulogy

The Dead

What? No Dog Star Man? Shameful. :colbert:

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009
Dog Star Man is over an hour long and thus hard to find on youtube. And to be honest, my favorite really long Brakhage film is 23rd Psalm Branch. I think Dog Star Man kind of pales in comparison.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So here's what I ended up picking up with this sale:

The Exterminating Angel
Night and Fog
Fanny and Alexander
Le Samourai

Have seen none of these.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

caiman posted:

The Exterminating Angel
Night and Fog
Fanny and Alexander
Le Samourai

Have seen none of these.

All excellent choices but I'm not sure how many viewings you'll get out of Night and Fog, what with all the death and all.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Cacator posted:

All excellent choices but I'm not sure how many viewings you'll get out of Night and Fog, what with all the death and all.

I know, I've thought about buying it like 5 times during this sale. "It's so good, and so reasonably priced... but.... :smith:"

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Night and Fog, after discounts, would cost me like $5. I should probably pick it up in that case. I'm way overdue for more Resnais, I loving love Last Year at Marienbad.

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009
Aaaahhhh. My sale haul cost more than I'd have liked. Erk.

Blus:
The Wages of Fear
The Red Shoes

DVDs:
Fanny and Alexander
The Element of Crime
Bicycle Thieves
Amarcord
Brand Upon the Brain!
My Dinner with Andre

Then I also recently bought Trafic off of eBay and got it for less than half of retail. :)

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

azechiel posted:

DVDs:
Fanny and Alexander

This will probably come out on Blu within the next year.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

FitFortDanga posted:

Dammit to hell.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
But it's okay because Fanny And Alexander is really good anyways.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Let's not undersell things here.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Okay, it's one of the finest motion pictures ever made.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

caiman posted:

Night and Fog
Le Samourai

Le Samourai is going to ruin a lot of gangster/crime movies for you. "This would've been better if it were more like Le Samourai" you will think, mentally inserting Jef Costello into other movies, desperately hoping for some sort of semi-sequel or crossover. But it'll never come.

Night and Fog will suck your soul out through your eyes, a unique enough sensation that you might enjoy it every couple years like I do. :( :hf: :(

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

Well poo poo on a shitstick.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

Criminal Minded posted:

Night and Fog, after discounts, would cost me like $5. I should probably pick it up in that case. I'm way overdue for more Resnais, I loving love Last Year at Marienbad.

Have you seen Hiroshima Mon Amour? I don't see it talked about a lot, and I'm surprised no one's already mentioned it. I think it's his best film of the...two I've seen, haha. I personally preferred it over Marienbad, but Marienbad is still amazing, of course.

And it's been a long time since I've seen Sansho The Bailiff, but I've rewatched Ugetsu quite a bit lately and it's really growing on me, and I'm starting to appreciate it more. I don't remember a whole lot about Sansho - is it worth getting during the sale? It'd basically be a blind buy.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Have you seen Hiroshima Mon Amour? I don't see it talked about a lot, and I'm surprised no one's already mentioned it. I think it's his best film of the...two I've seen, haha. I personally preferred it over Marienbad, but Marienbad is still amazing, of course.

I just watched Hiroshima and I've seen the Marienbad and Night and Fog, and I agree that Hiroshima is my favorite thing of his I've seen, easily.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Jack Does Jihad posted:

And it's been a long time since I've seen Sansho The Bailiff, but I've rewatched Ugetsu quite a bit lately and it's really growing on me, and I'm starting to appreciate it more. I don't remember a whole lot about Sansho - is it worth getting during the sale?

Yes.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Space Fish posted:

Night and Fog will suck your soul out through your eyes, a unique enough sensation that you might enjoy it every couple years like I do. :( :hf: :(

I saw Night and Fog for the first time back in college during an Introduction to Cinema course. Even today, with all the things we know about what happened during the Holocaust, it's still an incredibly powerful film. I still don't see myself going out of my way to watch it again any time soon.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If you buy the Yojimbo/Sanjuro blu double feature, it's five dollars cheaper than separate on BN.

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009
Goddamnit, I knew I shouldn't have stopped by B&N again before the end of the sale.

Just picked up:

Days of Heaven (Blu)
Black Narcissus (Blu)
The 400 Blows
Shoot the Piano Player (DVD)
Band of Outsiders (DVD)

azechiel fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 3, 2010

Unruly Amoeba
Feb 11, 2007
Yeah, I decided to take one last crack at the sale via the website last night. Just about thirty minutes till midnight EST, too. Picked up:

Black Narcissus BRD
The Red Shoes BRD
Summer Hours BRD

I think the only blind in there is Black Narcissus, but I liked the style of Powell and Pressburger in the Red Shoes. So I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Yeah, I gave in with a trio of Blu upgrades (8 1/2, M, and Stagecoach) plus the Yojimbo/Sanjuro set around 11:45.

It's a bit frustrating since there's a ton of other titles I'd like, but too many of them are obvious or slated for Blu editions like Mr. Hulot's Holiday and Wild Strawberries. I feel a bit guilty for having seen only two Bergmans and not even one Ozu, but I guess that's what Netflix is for.

On that note, what's a good starting point for Ozu? Tokyo Story?

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 3, 2010

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I've only seen Tokyo Story and Late Spring (both available on Netflix streaming) but I liked both a lot. From what my Ozu-crazy friend tells me you can pretty much dive in anywhere. I was tempted to pick up the Late Ozu set but held off. I may rent some of the films in that set soon.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Egbert Souse posted:

I feel a bit guilty for having seen only two Bergmans

What? Seriously? You, of all people, have only seen two Bergman films?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What? Seriously? You, of all people, have only seen two Bergman films?

Why does this surprise you? I don't think he watches many foreign films period.

As for Ozu, yeah pretty much anywhere's a good place to start.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Don't start with Good Morning, though. Or the silent Eclipse series.

I recommend Early Summer.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I went back one more time and grabbed some more. My entire haul over the duration of the sale:

The Red Shoes [bd]
Yojimbo & Sanjuro [bd]
8 1/2 [bd]
Man Bites Dog [dvd]
Ugetsu [dvd]
The Last Emperor [bd]
Howard's Emd [bd]
Paris, Texas [bd]
Eclipse 13: Kenji Mizoguchi's Fallen Women
Eclipse 19: Chantal Akerman In the Seventies
Eclipse 21: Oshima's Outlaw Sixties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Egbert Souse posted:

On that note, what's a good starting point for Ozu? Tokyo Story?
The 1959 Ukigusa/Floating Weeds is one of the most understated, beautiful films I've ever seen. I think it's my favourite Ozu as well, although I'm not particularly a fan of domestic drama in general, so this might just be me being swayed by all the pretty colours.