Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
All tasks performed on an 83 Nighthawk 750.

1. Set the pulser gap. Right was on the money, left was double the spec.

2. Yanked the fuel sender unit. Variable resistor's working fine, just not getting its info to the other side of the base plate. There is solder in my future. Mo details and pics for those who give a flip at:

http://www.cb750c.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=12034

3. Deciphered and diagrammed the Rube Goldberg fuel line system installed by the PO. I...weep for the past. It's been submitted to the DOHC senseis for review, and ripping this arrangement plus capping the automatic fuel valve appears to be the ticket. Perhaps I should enlist BP. Perhaps not. More info at:

http://www.cb750c.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=12033

4. Had to turn the crank to accomplish #1, which was a blessing. A bolt that holds the inner and outer stator covers together had worked its way loose. You really do not want a bolt tossed around in this expensive magnetic maelstrom. This is NOT A ROCK TUMBLER. I knew that one was going to be trouble--despite being NOS parts still in the JapWrap, one hole didn't quite line up and I had to get a drill involved. My bad for not using Loctite in the first place. No idea when it happened, but it doesn't seem to have left any permanent scars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Bought the core components of a roadable toolkit.
- 10-19mm socket set, in a plastic case.
- 12mm combination wrench
- 2x 3" extensions
- 1x 6" extension (for the forks)
- 6", 8", 10" crescent wrench set.
- Needlenose vicegrips

Then I used them to adjust the handlebars forward for more rise and a longer reach to them - they're a LOT more comfortable to use from a standing position now.

To Do:
Fork Seals
Tighten Steering Head slightly
Check more closely for an oil leak - I think I may have spotted one near the countershaft cover (the chain is tensioned properly now, but Hayden may have had it sportbike tight when I left Texas...)

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
Accomplished my first valve adjustment yesterday. Not nearly as painful as I imagined it being. Even with my carbs not tuned right, I noticed a marked improvement too. Only question: WHY are valve shims SO expensive?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

ari.gato posted:

Accomplished my first valve adjustment yesterday. Not nearly as painful as I imagined it being. Even with my carbs not tuned right, I noticed a marked improvement too. Only question: WHY are valve shims SO expensive?

Because they're made of the crushed bones of everyone who's attempted this task and failed. Me included. Congrats for decoding this juju; haven't done a bucket/shim set yet, but I thoroughly mangled a VLX600 years ago, mostly because you need X-ray vision and baby hands to get at the back sets.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Marv Hushman posted:

Because they're made of the crushed bones of everyone who's attempted this task and failed. Me included. Congrats for decoding this juju; haven't done a bucket/shim set yet, but I thoroughly mangled a VLX600 years ago, mostly because you need X-ray vision and baby hands to get at the back sets.

Wish I could take the credit, but the engine on my ride is really accessible (once the tank, air filter housing, and carburetor is off), and the Clymer's manual made it as simple as checking a measurement, figuring out what shim was already installed, and then finding where the two correlated in this giant table to tell me the appropriate new shim size.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
I unbolted some poo poo in preparation for pulling the forks off this weekend.

I didn't realize how much turbulence I was getting off the fairing and the fender. It's quite nice to ride now.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
- Gazed upon the rat's nest of fuel line the PO put together to circumvent/assist/who knows what the automatic fuel valve. Labeled it. Winged it. Great idea, poor execution and location. Manual petcock it is, and maybe a well-placed reminder sticker.

- Repaired and remounted the fuel level sending unit. Contacts are sealed in plastic on the underside, and one had separated from the base plate. Hacked the thing apart and performed a hideous but effective solder job. Bought Seal All in hopes of a) making it oil/gas/element proof and b) hiding it from humanity for all time. It's actually clear, so my work is like an insect trapped in amber. A really, really scary insect.

- Put JB Weld to use for the first time. Busted tabs on the rear cowl again, and last year's wonder product didn't hold up.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Jabs posted:

I unbolted some poo poo in preparation for pulling the forks off this weekend.

I didn't realize how much turbulence I was getting off the fairing and the fender. It's quite nice to ride now.

why did you take off the headlight fairing to get the forks off? Just curious, I've had my forks off twice and I never needed to take anything else off

In addition, for turbulence, I can personally recommend putting a KX fender on instead of the normal KLR fender. It's a little smaller and stiffer, so it doesn't buffet around as much. Looks cooler too

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Armacham posted:

why did you take off the headlight fairing to get the forks off? Just curious, I've had my forks off twice and I never needed to take anything else off.
I'm going to be mucking about with the triple tree/bearings in addition to changing the fork seals/wipers, so I wanted less crap to be in the way for that.
Plus, I was curious to see how much of the 'wibblewobbles' I have are fender/fairing + crosswind related.
Finally, I'm considering leaving the fairing off and going with a 7" round fork mount, or a set of Buell dual headlights. I'm kinda liking the enduro look.

quote:

In addition, for turbulence, I can personally recommend putting a KX fender on instead of the normal KLR fender. It's a little smaller and stiffer, so it doesn't buffet around as much. Looks cooler too
I'm thinking about the EagleMike fork brace + KTM fender combo.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Jabs posted:

I'm going to be mucking about with the triple tree/bearings in addition to changing the fork seals/wipers, so I wanted less crap to be in the way for that.
Plus, I was curious to see how much of the 'wibblewobbles' I have are fender/fairing + crosswind related.
Finally, I'm considering leaving the fairing off and going with a 7" round fork mount, or a set of Buell dual headlights. I'm kinda liking the enduro look.
I'm thinking about the EagleMike fork brace + KTM fender combo.

makes sense. my friend has an XR650R with a race light that looks pretty bad rear end

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Fork brace works well for me, here's a pic of the KX fender

Click here for the full 480x640 image.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I went to change the clutch cable on my Vstar 1300 and on the way over to my friend's house where I was gonna do it, it broke. I was able to ride it there, but that was it. Frayed as hell. Bad design, the adjuster nut thing was located by the steering neck or whatever, and all the torsion from moving the bars around made it crack where the cable connected to the adjuster piece and then it just wouldn't hold lube and wore down.

New cable's adjuster piece is about 4 inches from the clutch lever. It's ugly but I feel better about it functionally. Shifts much smoother now, these past coupe weeks have been rough.

2 more tasks before Sturgis: belt tension/rear wheel align, and then an oil change. The trip will probably kill the factory Dunlops. I already have 9000 miles on them.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
Ripped this mess out:

Successful fuel gauge fix:

Bought my daughter a sand wedge:

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Replaced the entire charging system. Stator, regulator and wires. 14V at just about every rmp. Finally!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Did it last night, but clubmans, bar end mirrors and new grips :)

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

SaNChEzZ posted:

Did it last night, but clubmans, bar end mirrors and new grips :)

Wow, that does look pretty sweet. Have you ridden it? Is it uncomfortable? Was the right turn signal already broke or was that the result of the first ride? ;)

NurSpec
May 6, 2007

Win or lose,
just keep on trying!
Did most of this last month but eh, same idea:

• New Vance & Hines Cruzers exhaust. MUCH better than the StraightShots simply because of the baffles.
  • Cobra backrest. Very handy for cargo as well as passengers.
  • Willie and Max Saddlebags. Pretty good sized bags and works really well with the looks of the bike.

Also took about a ~1500 mi round trip to the Hells Canyon Motorcycle Rally in Baker City, OR. Definitely some awesome roads to ride up there, especially the "Devil's Tail."

Bonus pic of me riding out of the Devil's Tail (kinda lovely scanned pic, oh well)

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Installed a 225mm Delkevic carbon fiber stubby silencer on my SV. A friend said I sounded like a herd of stampeding horses. Roar, fuckers, roar.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 1, 2010

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Installed new points and capacitors in the 77 CB750k. I don't have a timing light so I did a static adjustment. What a pain in the rear end. Lots of wiggling this and what not but they were still opening up too soon. Finally said gently caress it and just adjusted the points themselves rather than the plate. That did the trick! Rev's up to red line much easier. Test ride went well, but it is still under whelming in the power department. I'll install new plugs next. I had the time today but I subscribe to the "one change at a time" school of though, so I'll always know WTF I did to ruin or improve performance.

Tang_
May 8, 2007
New rear hoop for the WR450! About time, its super hard riding in sand and wet clay on a balding tire :|

Greased axles and bearings and oiled the chain. Pity I dont get to ride for the next few weekends due to moving house :(

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Crayvex posted:

Wow, that does look pretty sweet. Have you ridden it? Is it uncomfortable? Was the right turn signal already broke or was that the result of the first ride? ;)

Lol, nah the broken bits are from the PO. I have all of the blinkers etc. on order with bikebandit which is taking for-loving ever.

I like the feel a lot more with the low bars personally. With the uprights, I didn't feel as stable, maybe it's cause I'm used to riding the SV with clipons... :ms:

Content: Lowered the front 1", installed sportster mufflers, found out the rear shocks I bought don't fit, but cut off my helmet lock anyway.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Marv Hushman posted:

Bought my daughter a sand wedge:

Yeah, yeah, nice try but we all know that you're going to use that to beat on people who try to pass you.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Doctor Zero posted:

Yeah, yeah, nice try but we all know that you're going to use that to beat on people who try to pass you.

Nah, they're all on mobility scooters. I just reach over and hit the kill switches.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
My 10-day waiting period elapsed so I went down and picked up this Plews LubriMatic lever action grease gun. Interchangeable barrels, deluxe charging handle, and a constant stream of Molybdenum-tipped ammo (not available in California).

Aimed it at my swingarm and the thing sucked down the bulk of a 3 oz cartridge before exiting the pivot.

Grease=Word.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Marv Hushman posted:

Grease=Word.
It's got lube,
It's got leakin'

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Jabs posted:

It's got lube,
It's got leakin'

Grease is The Time and 3rd Bass and B. Ocean...

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Jabs posted:

Check more closely for an oil leak - I think I may have spotted one near the countershaft cover (the chain is tensioned properly now, but Hayden may have had it sportbike tight when I left Texas...)

Does the chain on the KLR need to have more slack than a sportbike chain? You're right in that I adjusted it the same as I had always adjusted my sportbikes, didn't think there would be a difference.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hayden. posted:

Does the chain on the KLR need to have more slack than a sportbike chain? You're right in that I adjusted it the same as I had always adjusted my sportbikes, didn't think there would be a difference.
I'd be surprised if it didn't. The suspension travel should be much longer than a sport bike.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
I'd give it the two finger rule. Thats what the my local ktm dealer told me. You place your index and middle finger unger the chain and above the plastic slider. adjsut accordingly.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Spec on the KLR is 50-65mm.

Spec on a, say, ninja 250 is 35-45mm. That's a world of difference. RIP countershaft seal.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Bled my brakes again. They still don't grab until I pump the lever a few times. I'm thinking something is up in the master cylinder. :(

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

sklnd posted:

Spec on the KLR is 50-65mm.

Spec on a, say, ninja 250 is 35-45mm. That's a world of difference. RIP countershaft seal.

To be fair it was definitely on the loose end of the spectrum, so I imagine it was fine.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

hayden. posted:

Yes.

There's a guy who did some semi-obsessive measuring - putting the bike up on a lift to get the full extension, then compressing the suspension to the point at which it has the maximum distance between the countershaft and the rear hub, blah blah blah.

The end result of all his measuring?

On the KLR, when your chain is tightened properly, you should be able to lift the bottom run up and just touch the bottom of the rubber guard on the swingarm.

hayden. posted:

To be fair it was definitely on the loose end of the spectrum, so I imagine it was fine.
Something isn't fine. Since I've started commuting on the bike (60 mile R/T) I'm using a TON of oil. A full quart every...250 miles or so?...and there's quite a lot of oil on the bottom of the crankcase under the countershaft cover, but I've only ever had it leak any oil on the garage floor once, and that was only two drops - so the oil is going someplace, and it doesn't seem to be out the tailpipe...

The Post Office says the seals and stuff should be here today, so I spent last night pulling the front end apart.

I don't think this is supposed to look like this. Dammit. TrailTech here I come.

The cheap parts look fine, naturally.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 3, 2010

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Last night I changed my oil and then washed the bike, giving the belt some special attention with the soapy water. Rolled it, washed more belt, repeat. It's whiney at low highway speeds and it's a little annoying.

Took it into the reputable indie shop a couple blocks up the street and had him give it a quick once-over and ride test to make sure he didn't notice anything weird before I put 3000 miles on it next week. I asked him to look at the belt pulleys and check belt tension.

After 20 minutes of poking and a ride around the block, he says: "I think you just need to ride the bike".

So I'm ready to go to Sturgis. It's amazing how much somebody who knows what they're doing saying everything's cool can reduce the whine on the belt; shows how much of it is actually in my head.

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.
Belts whine a little after they get wet. It should be fine. Have fun in Sturgis!

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

The NonBornKing posted:

Belts whine a little after they get wet.

Sounds like a joke - what do Harley belts and Harley riders have in common?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Crossposting from my build thread...

TOYS!!

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

SaNChEzZ posted:

Crossposting from my build thread...

TOYS!!

JEALOUS!!

Not that it represents a ton of savings, but you can probably avoid OEM for things like bulbs in the future--most of the time there's a modern off-the-shelf equivalent.

Also, give servicehonda.com a shot with your next batch of toys. In addition to the diagrams, they give you the full Honda P/N (unlike Bandit, etc.) so you can shop around and research if you care to. You shouldn't have to, based on what I've heard about their pricing.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

The bulbs were just a buck or so a piece, if they were super expensive I would have just gotten them locally but I figured what the hell, may as well get it all at once :)

Thanks for the heads up about servicehonda I was wondering if there were any good parts places out there besides bikebandit for OEM or aftermarket/OEM stuff.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Actually yesterday, but when I cleaned some of the gunk off the chain with some WD-40 I must have accidentally sprayed some on the rear brake disc. Don't do this if you like braking. Hopefully equal amounts of brake cleaner will undo this poor display of spraycanmanship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
Do you know what the penalty for horn cruelty is in this state? Well, it's probably pretty stiff. Poor little feller, must have hung on for...

Well, I hadn't planned on fixing anything during lunch, but there it is. My Harley parts bin to the rescue. The replacement is, true to form, louder and more obnoxious than the original.