Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Leovinus posted:

You think Alex told Shannon about his office's false floor just cause she asked nicely?

I can help you hide yours if you can help me hide mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidde
Aug 3, 2007

Totally the opposite of SuperSpecialAwesome
Just wanted to reaffirm the replay value of this game. When I first played trough paris I stumbled upon the nightclub immediately. This time I looked around and found a cafe, a hostel and a house guarded by MJ12 where you get a phone call from Icarus. Weird since you can never pick up phones elsewhere and Icarus can just contact you via infolink.

And also there is this guy who is stuck in a door that never stops and constantly reassures me he knows nothing about silhouette.

BTW remember when you meet the couple at the cafe that has a son that works as a soldier for MJ12 and the father tells you the code to the post he is stationed and the mother pleads to you not to kill him. Anyone else expected JC to have some rear end in a top hat :hehe::"I've massacred every trooper on the street. Your son was surely among them." line later?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Fidde posted:

And also there is this guy who is stuck in a door that never stops and constantly reassures me he knows nothing about silhouette.
That GIF should have JC's head taking damage the longer he stares.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fidde posted:

Just wanted to reaffirm the replay value of this game. When I first played trough paris I stumbled upon the nightclub immediately. This time I looked around and found a cafe, a hostel and a house guarded by MJ12 where you get a phone call from Icarus. Weird since you can never pick up phones elsewhere and Icarus can just contact you via infolink.

BTW remember when you meet the couple at the cafe that has a son that works as a soldier for MJ12 and the father tells you the code to the post he is stationed and the mother pleads to you not to kill him. Anyone else expected JC to have some rear end in a top hat :hehe::"I've massacred every trooper on the street. Your son was surely among them." line later?

Yeah, the amount of little, completely optional and easily missable things in the social areas like Hell's Kitchen, Wan Chai market, and Paris is pretty impressive, even now. I still haven't got around to reading all of Jacob's Shadow or The Man Who Was Thursday

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Are there any ways other than blowing the generator at the NSF base to complete that mission?

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

Gyshall posted:

Are there any ways other than blowing the generator at the NSF base to complete that mission?

No, you have to destroy it somehow.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, the amount of little, completely optional and easily missable things in the social areas like Hell's Kitchen, Wan Chai market, and Paris is pretty impressive, even now. I still haven't got around to reading all of Jacob's Shadow or The Man Who Was Thursday

Dunno if you knew this or not, but The Man Who Was Thursday is a real book. The bits of Jacob's Shadow, though, were written solely for the game. I haven't gotten around to reading Thursday but Jacob's Shadow would be an awesome book if it were complete.

Aesion
Mar 14, 2010

So I decided to try an "Ultra government stooge with no regard for human life" run through this time. Pretty much every NPC in NYC has been killed. I saw a couple of new things this time. I killed JoJo pretty early on in the tunnel, but then after I cleared out everyone in the 'Ton including the Rentons, JoJo was in the office saying he now owned the place and the Rentons went on vacation. I've made Paul utter about three or four "JESUS CHRIST, JC!"s. My favorite was when he stood the NSF down at the airport and I killed them all anyway. I was basically Anna Navarre's apprentice until Lebedev when she made some bitchy comment. So after I killed Lebedev, I shot her too.

All of MJ12 was wiped out. Gave Manderly my resignation. Was actually kind of sad about Janice Reed.

Hong Kong so far has been pretty uneventful, I used scramble grenades on all of the security bots in Wan Chai. Gordon Quick yelled at me for killing one of the little kids because he was working for them or something. All of the guys in Tong's compound are dead except for Tong and Alex.

My absolute favorite (and new) part that I've seen on this run happened in Versalife. There's a guy sitting at a desk on the third floor that is paranoid about catching the gray death. He told me if I killed Hundley(the supervisor who you bribe), he'd give me lab access. I went and killed Hundley and came back and JC says something along the lines of "welp, I killed your boss...how about that code?" in only the way JC can :allears:. The way that the guy responds is hilarious, almost as if he was joking about killing his boss. Then he too died.

Apparently, in the near future no one cares if you're a mass murderer as long as your goals are aligned with theirs.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Aesion posted:

I killed JoJo pretty early on in the tunnel, but then after I cleared out everyone in the 'Ton including the Rentons, JoJo was in the office saying he now owned the place and the Rentons went on vacation. I've made Paul utter about three or four "JESUS CHRIST, JC!"s. My favorite was when he stood the NSF down at the airport and I killed them all anyway. I was basically Anna Navarre's apprentice until Lebedev when she made some bitchy comment. So after I killed Lebedev, I shot her too.

That's not a bug in NY. The guy in the alleyway isn't Jojo, he's just a low-level pimp. And yeah, it's odd the things the game does and doesn't keep track of.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Foreward: I know Invisible War sucks, I've just played Deus Ex a million times and wanted something new and didn't want to waste the $2.50 I spent on it.

How the gently caress do you get DX2 to stop hanging with a black screen requiring a reboot as soon as you get to a load screen after creating your character? I heard it was happening to dual core computers because it was only coded for single core, so I tried using imagecfg to mask it to have single core only affinity, as was suggested, and that didn't work. Tried restarting computer in single core mode, that didn't work too. Just a hard freeze requiring a reboot with a black screen every time I try to start a new game. Anyone ever fix this? I have a dual core e8400 3gz and a single radeon 4870 with 10.7 catalysts if it helps

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Azuren posted:

How the gently caress do you get DX2 to stop hanging with a black screen requiring a reboot as soon as you get to a load screen after creating your character?
This is a feature.

(I played through DX2 fine on an older laptop, didn't even get any CTD, but my dual core thingamy refuses to do anything with the game whatsoever. Good luck!)

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

CaptainWinky posted:

Dunno if you knew this or not, but The Man Who Was Thursday is a real book. The bits of Jacob's Shadow, though, were written solely for the game. I haven't gotten around to reading Thursday but Jacob's Shadow would be an awesome book if it were complete.

The Man Who Was Thursday is rather good book, I'd recommend it. It can be a wee bit slow in pacing compared to more modern literature though.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
A while back I asked if anyone had remembered the "secret room" in the elevator to Jock's apartment containing nothing but a skull. I found a picture of it:

Click here for the full 700x525 image.

The site I found it on had no idea why it's there either. Is it referenced anywhere in-game?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Aesion posted:

My absolute favorite (and new) part that I've seen on this run happened in Versalife. There's a guy sitting at a desk on the third floor that is paranoid about catching the gray death. He told me if I killed Hundley(the supervisor who you bribe), he'd give me lab access. I went and killed Hundley and came back and JC says something along the lines of "welp, I killed your boss...how about that code?" in only the way JC can :allears:. The way that the guy responds is hilarious, almost as if he was joking about killing his boss. Then he too died.

Apparently, in the near future no one cares if you're a mass murderer as long as your goals are aligned with theirs.

It's even better if you kill Hundley before you ever even talk to the guy.

"Yeah, I'll help you, but only if you kill my boss"

"Who, Hundley? I already did that. He seemed weird."

"What?!!? Jesus Christ!"

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
JC just casually says he's murdered his boss because he's weird? loving gold.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

"What?!!? Jesus Christ!"

I thought the worker's reaction was a little more subdued, like "what? Oh...uh...alright then, here's the code" as though you told him that he could take half a day today rather than that you just murdered his boss

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I should have played through this game slower the first time, or maybe it's just the EXP bonuses you can get in Shifter, but goddamn I'm a powerhouse now. Fully upgraded speed, regeneration and power recycling aug means JC is for all intents and purposes unstoppable. I've been doing all the sidequests I can find, so I had Gunther's killphrase, but since you get no experience points for it I reloaded and decided to take him on manually. Which involved putting Regeneration on, waiting for Gunther to come in with the flamethrower and beating him to death then simply waiting out the flames.

SKULL GUN.

Seriously, is there anything that breaks the game better than full regen and full powercirc? Completely healing myself takes next to no BE. I have the speed aug on pretty much everywhere and still have 20 biocells.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Crappy Jack posted:

"What?!!? Jesus Christ!"

"He seemed weird" is pretty much the best justification for killing someone ever devised, FYI.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

quote:

JC DENTON
I already killed him.

JOHN SMITH
You what?

JC DENTON
The guy in the suit, right? I took him out. Part of an intelligence operation.

JOHN SMITH
You mean... Huh.
JC's down with killing people because they're weird, though:

quote:

JOCK
Why'd you kill Everett's mechanic?

JC DENTON
Something about that guy didn't smell right.
He's also down with killing because whatever

quote:

DOWD
How'd you get in?

JC DENTON
The gatekeeper. How else?

DOWD
Strange... No one's supposed to be working this late. Did he say anything?

JC DENTON
I took him out before he could say much. Better safe than sorry.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 5, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Carbohydrates posted:

JC's down with killing people because they're weird, though:

He's also down with killing because whatever

Haha the gatekeeper one is the best. I mean it turns out you were right, but he doesn't even try to explain it by saying "he seemed suspicious", it's just like "my choices were to either kill him or not kill him and killing seemed like the safest choice, he's just a gatekeeper and I was already inside"

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Playing through again but this time I'm using the DX10 mod with Biomod+shifter. Pretty awesome :3

Norsu
Mar 16, 2010
Here's a small scene that is easy to miss if don't explore every nook and cranny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb0OVkyiMR0

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Norsu posted:

Here's a small scene that is easy to miss if don't explore every nook and cranny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb0OVkyiMR0

Not his PRIHVET MUHMOES!!1!

(He needed the moanie, though.)

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

This is ridiculous.

"anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZtea9XsPt4

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Wanna meet that cat's daughter.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The more I see of the Malkavian Mod, the more I think it's just plain retarded. It's not even funny, it's just stupid and nonsensical. I mean, I get the name reference and everything, but it's more a question of why make a retarded mod like this.

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.
I think there are some pretty good gags in it, like the part in that video just posted where he's talking to his reflection.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Fuzz posted:

The more I see of the Malkavian Mod...

But it was funny the first time right? I think so. Mission accomplished I'd say.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Ohio State BOOniversity fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 28, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fuzz posted:

It's not even funny, it's just stupid and nonsensical.

These two states of being are not mutually exclusive. The best comedy is absurdist comedy (Monty P represent).

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Fuzz posted:

The more I see of the Malkavian Mod, the more I think it's just plain retarded. It's not even funny, it's just stupid and nonsensical. I mean, I get the name reference and everything, but it's more a question of why make a retarded mod like this.

Oh bloo bloo bloo. It's just nonsensically funny. Not everything has to be some kind of brilliant bon mot to be a decent laugh.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
It's funny enough that I enjoy poking around youtube to see the highlights. I'm sure playing it would wear thin for me, but hey, I'm glad someone had the time and inclination to make it.

There can never be enough stupid poo poo on the internet.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
My point was that it's not even funny in a surrealist and nonsensical way, not that nonsensical stuff isn't funny.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

tentaclesex posted:

It's funny enough that I enjoy poking around youtube to see the highlights. I'm sure playing it would wear thin for me, but hey, I'm glad someone had the time and inclination to make it.

There can never be enough stupid poo poo on the internet.

I tbought that video was the entire mod.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Fuzz posted:

My point was that it's not even funny in a surrealist and nonsensical way, not that nonsensical stuff isn't funny.

Pray give an example of something you have found funny in a surrealist and nonsensical way.

edit: I mean this in no way as a challenge! I just figured it would be something I wasn't familiar with, but might enjoy!

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 13, 2010

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Pray give an example of something you have found funny in a surrealist and nonsensical way.

The Room by Tommy Wiseau.

Fidde
Aug 3, 2007

Totally the opposite of SuperSpecialAwesome
Hey guys he just don't like a silly mod we don't all need to put him on trial for it.

Has it been discussed what smug motherfuckers Page and Simmons are? Because they must be the most :smug::hf::smug: videogame villains ever. Always acting incredibly superior and never admitting that something didn't go as planned. Just take the missile for example:

-It doesn't matter that you have a functioning UC since Vandenberg will soon be a smoldering crater.
-So you've reprogrammed the missile. We'll simply destroy it then. And we might as well kill you while we're at it.
-It doesn't make a difference that you saw to it that the missile was launched. Area 51 is a mile underground anyway.

Even when you've made your way down to area 51 and is standing face to face with him he still insists that everything is going according to plan. The "I was never properly trained in its operation" style comments might be inane but it's such a blast hearing JC mock Page and Simmons. How I wish that there was a conversation option where you could point out how all the previous plans (killswitch, supertanker, Simmons e.t.c.) failed because of you.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
"That makes me one ugly son of a bitch"

It's very subtle in their voicework, which I love, but as the story drags on, the pair get ever slightly more and more desperate. Your turn.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

3 posted:

"That makes me one ugly son of a bitch"

It's very subtle in their voicework, which I love, but as the story drags on, the pair get ever slightly more and more desperate. Your turn.
I just heard that line for the first time when I replayed it a month ago. So good :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Laugh it up, Denton

CaptainWinky posted:

Dunno if you knew this or not, but The Man Who Was Thursday is a real book.

I really enjoyed Thursday but I enjoyed The Napoleon of Notting Hill (just the one extract in DX as far as I know) even more. It's also the direct inspiration for Neverwhere, if you're a Gaiman fan.