Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

That was easy to figure out as a kid. I knew it being 9 years old and trying to beat the loving inn & desert section early in King's Quest V. Nothing has ever made me more pissed off at a video game than reading the solution in a friend's hint book.

(I realise the game is practically 20 years at this point, but hey, this is a classic gaming thread and people might want to still try to enjoy these games. Explanation & solution to to the King's Quest V situation follows:)

If you walk into the inn, you get captured by a bunch of bad men and die in the basement. If you've ever visited the desert, the next time you walk near the inn, you see a cutscene of a cat chasing and catching a mouse. Congratulations, your game is now unwinnable, but you'll never know it.

What you were supposed to do was wander the desert until you found a boot. Then you were supposed to realise that the cutscene of the cat chasing the mouse wasn't really a cutscene, and you still had 0.5 seconds to go into your inventory and grab the boot to throw at the cat. If you managed to accomplish this, the mouse then rescues you when you're caught by the people in the inn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

Space Quest 1 scared the poo poo out of me as a kid. I couldn't play it because I was always freaked out about the aliens finding me in the starting area. I'd just hide the whole time.

Later in life, I tried playing it and god drat, that game is heartless. So many ways to die.

I had a crazy experience at a friend's house once, where we went from him showing me Return to Castle Wolfenstein and mecha Hitler (and his gruesome death animation), to showing me Space Quest and us being both really scared of all the aliens and poo poo and really confused about what was going on. That was quite a day.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 29, 2010

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Kings Quest games are loving impossible. More so because I couldn't spell half the stupid words.

Also, really space quest? A butter knife? Really? gently caress you.

One of my fondest SQ1 memories include trying to reach into that one dudes laser wound and the game giving me poo poo about trying to do so. At that point I figured the game could understand anything and quickly got upset when I wasn't using the right verb/noun combo.

Sit on the chair
Relax on the ottoman?
Recline on the furniture?
Snuggle the sofa?
GET ON THE loving COUCH!

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

teethgrinder posted:

That was easy to figure out as a kid. I knew it being 9 years old and trying to beat the loving inn & desert section early in King's Quest V. Nothing has ever made me more pissed off at a video game than reading the solution in a friend's hint book.

(I realise the game is practically 20 years at this point, but hey, this is a classic gaming thread and people might want to still try to enjoy these games. Explanation & solution to to the King's Quest V situation follows:)

If you walk into the inn, you get captured by a bunch of bad men and die in the basement. If you've ever visited the desert, the next time you walk near the inn, you see a cutscene of a cat chasing and catching a mouse. Congratulations, your game is now unwinnable, but you'll never know it.

What you were supposed to do was wander the desert until you found a boot. Then you were supposed to realise that the cutscene of the cat chasing the mouse wasn't really a cutscene, and you still had 0.5 seconds to go into your inventory and grab the boot to throw at the cat. If you managed to accomplish this, the mouse then rescues you when you're caught by the people in the inn.

I have to believe this was just a way to get people to buy the hint book. Stuff like that still kind of exists today, too, like having to leave certain treasure chests in Final Fantasy XII unopened if you want to get an ultimate weapon.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Magnificent Quiver posted:

I have to believe this was just a way to get people to buy the hint book.

Or better yet, call the hint line.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Hahaha, ten bucks for just Space Quest 1, 2, and 3? No thank you.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I have to believe this was just a way to get people to buy the hint book. Stuff like that still kind of exists today, too, like having to leave certain treasure chests in Final Fantasy XII unopened if you want to get an ultimate weapon.
At least the FF XII one I'd call an "incentive" as opposed to "imperative." You don't need that to progress in the game. And of course nowadays you can just find that information on Gamefaqs.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

tentaclesex posted:

Or better yet, call the hint line.

OH MY GOD I had forgotten all about that, but a friend and I did actually call the line as kids because we HAD TO.

Thank Al Gore for the internet.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

AxeManiac posted:

Space Quest 1 scared the poo poo out of me as a kid. I couldn't play it because I was always freaked out about the aliens finding me in the starting area. I'd just hide the whole time.

Later in life, I tried playing it and god drat, that game is heartless. So many ways to die.

Space Quest 5 scared the poo poo out of me to the point where I had weird nightmares. There's a scene late in the game where it shows everyone's face melting off, and someone's eyeball rolling in their skull. Jesus christ, I thought it was a comedy game.

It didn't help in any of the games that they were designed to gently caress you over repeatedly. I don't know why they're so fondly remembered.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

And of course nowadays you can just find that information on Gamefaqs.

That's what the worst part of really difficult older games was, there was very limited access to the internet and it was just about impossible to find out the solution to some puzzles. I remember reading GamePro and the like a lot as a kid because it used to give out information that you could never find out about a game otherwise. I can think of several adventure games that I owned for years but never beat.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

glug posted:

OH MY GOD I had forgotten all about that, but a friend and I did actually call the line as kids because we HAD TO.

Thank Al Gore for the internet.

In Monkey Island 2 SE's developer commentary they mention that the help line was pretty much the biggest source of income for LucasArts games at one point. Sierra's adventures being as merciless as they were, their hint line was probably even hotter.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm surprised. I loved LucasArts games and remember them so fondly because all the ones I played were winnable by me, and never seemed to gently caress me over forcing a restart.

SheepNameKiller posted:

That's what the worst part of really difficult older games was, there was very limited access to the internet and it was just about impossible to find out the solution to some puzzles. I remember reading GamePro and the like a lot as a kid because it used to give out information that you could never find out about a game otherwise. I can think of several adventure games that I owned for years but never beat.

When we bought our used NES, we got all of the guy's old Nintendo Powers too. Thank god, never had any trouble finding level 7 in The Legend of Zelda.

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008
I remember Sierra hint books. Little white staple-bound brochures with a red cellophane card to read the actual hints through. You couldn't even read the pages normally without it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

SSJ Reeko posted:

Hey that sounds like good fun. There's a huge LP of it going on but I never really read it.

:(

quote:

Is there a recommended way to go in character building to help out a beginner? I imagine magic users would be weak at the start but get powerful later on. Would making a character that can handle magic and melee be viable? Like a Spellsword or something.

I might pick it up on GOG, I've been eying it and for 5 dollars why not?

The beginning is pretty hard, but if you complete one of the early quests in the right way, you can learn a free point in the healing spell, which is helpful.

Points in the Alchemy skill are also good, the first point will let you combine blue mana potions and red health potions into white Restoration potions, which heal both. The difference is that the health and mana potions restore a fixed amount of points, while the small Restoration potions restore 50% of your maximum health and mana, regardless of how much you have. Even if your only use for magic is the healing spell, this can be used efficiently: Clear the dungeon until your health is low, then use your healing spell to heal up, then return to progressing through the dungeon, use a restoration potion when your health dips below 50%, continue clearing, heal up when your health gets low, and when you run out of mana and health again, go back to town and sleep to restore yourself fully. Repeat.

The first part of Divine Divinity is a long dungeon crawl which can get tiring, but after you reach the bridge, the game world opens up. Be warned though that enemies don't scale to your level, so you can wander into areas which are too hard with little warning.

Regardless of your weapon of choice, you might want a bow at the start to thin the enemies until you can survive better.

Other useful skills early on are Repair (just one point), and Identify (save some gold). If you're a magic-user or bow-user, a point into Elven Sight will help. If you're going the route of elemental magic, consider getting Know Creature maxed, which will identify elemental weakness and resistances at level 19.

There are specific magic spells designed for helping in melee, like Bless and Magical Might. Limbs of Lead is useful on hard-hitting enemies as well.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ImpulseDrive posted:

I remember Sierra hint books. Little white staple-bound brochures with a red cellophane card to read the actual hints through. You couldn't even read the pages normally without it.

Lucasarts' were the same way, I had the indiana jones one.

teethgrinder posted:

I'm surprised. I loved LucasArts games and remember them so fondly because all the ones I played were winnable by me, and never seemed to gently caress me over forcing a restart.

It's not so much that the games killed you often or forced you to restart, it's that they just had unintuitive puzzles often. I can't tell you how many times I tried to beat Maniac Mansion (on the NES) and failed. I briefly considered the hint line but my mom talked some sense into me.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Agreed posted:

I've never played the Restoration Project version, just used the same guy's Unofficial Patch. I remember sort of vaguely being aware of it a long time ago, but it was very unfinished and I filed it under "think about that later" which in gaming terms means forget it completely or something. Came back to the Fallouts a couple months ago, saw that he was about to have version 2.0 out and it was going to be REALLY complete with tons of stuff that he'd been working on forever; then 2.0 came out but was pretty buggy. Then 2.1 was going to come out and make everything polished and nice. And it did.

I dunno if it'll revive interest that has waned or anything but I am enjoying the hell out of it personally. Often fan projects which reach into restoring content don't seem to give enough of a poo poo about staying true to the developers' intent in the first place, but thanks to the leftover resources that were on the CD but cut from the game, the Fallout Bible that Avellone put together, and I believe even a little developer correspondence, he managed to put things back together in a way that feels natural to the setting. I haven't played enormously far into it but I definitely endorse it, so far, and it's clear a poo poo-ton of work has gone into it.

But all that does mean that if you're looking for a different gameplay experience than vanilla Fallout 2, you're not going to find it (except in the areas where vanilla Fallout 2 was plagued by bugs - armor piercing ammo being useless, scripts misfiring and locking you into boxing matches of various kinds, those sorts of things). In fact that's the whole goal, don't make the game Fallout 2 FANMOD WOO Edition, just (as organically as possible) restore missing content to the game and fix any and all bugs and scripting errors you find (or create) along the way.
Some of the cut content that they added back into the game are of questionable value though. Beware of the loving EPA dungeon, as it's basically just screen after screen of you mousing your cursor all over the map to find the 10 pixel item to get passed the next puzzle.

Hopefully 2.1 made it a little more tolerable, but I dunno.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Thompsons posted:

Hahaha, ten bucks for just Space Quest 1, 2, and 3? No thank you.

Yeah, that does seem brutal. It should have been all 6, along with the remakes. They used to sell the whole collection years ago for like 9.99

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits
There's this: http://store.steampowered.com/app/10110/ - The first one is the point and click version. I guess in the end it's the same price as buying in sets of three from gog, though.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Rascyc posted:

Some of the cut content that they added back into the game are of questionable value though. Beware of the loving EPA dungeon, as it's basically just screen after screen of you mousing your cursor all over the map to find the 10 pixel item to get passed the next puzzle.

Hopefully 2.1 made it a little more tolerable, but I dunno.

I dunno about the EPA, haven't made it there yet, but talking to other Fallout fans who have played recent versions, they seem to like it. Maybe it is a boring pixel hunt, but there's some annoying adventure-puzzler-like elements to Fallout 1 and 2 anyway - that goddamned book you need to find for Becky in the Den, for example - chances are I won't be terribly offended if it's not just totally outrageous.

Anyway, I just helped Mom in the Den make an orphanage with reformed squatters as caretakers, now there aren't kids everywhere trying to steal from me and I waxed that one guy (Finch or whatever his name was) that was using them as suppliers for his stuff without anyone going hostile! And then I killed Metzger and his whole damned posse and freed the slaves after getting the location for the slaver camp where I assume I'll find Sulik's sister. gently caress yeah :rock:

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Weekend deal is the friggin' Kalypso pack again. I swear these games are on sale like every month.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Weekend deal is the friggin' Kalypso pack again. I swear these games are on sale like every month.

If I can want a Creatures game and can get only one, which one should I get?

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!
I'm thinking of picking up Expendable and Incoming. Can anyone tell me if they're worth it?

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits

RiffRaff1138 posted:

I'm thinking of picking up Expendable and Incoming. Can anyone tell me if they're worth it?

Expendable is pretty cool but make sure you check the gog forums for a better control scheme. The default is one of the weirdest control schemes I've ever used on a top down shooter.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'll say this much: I didn't really enjoy Tropico, but the soundtrack is entirely worth the price of the game.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
Wasn't Expendable the game that they trotted out mainly to show off the bump-mapping capabilities of the new Matrox video cards? I remember seeing screenshots of it in PC Gamer and thinking, "Man, that is some bumpy fuckin' water." I remember nothing else about the game.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.

The MSJ posted:

If I can want a Creatures game and can get only one, which one should I get?
You may wish to poke around the GOG forums, as others have asked the same question, and there are different answers depending on what you might be looking for from the experience. There are also some links to additional tips and add-ons. As a recommendation, if you choose Exodus like I did, a few suggestions from my first-time experience for starting out and learning:
  • Hunt around online for the add-on that allows you to control creature births; this will let you stop births of the non-Norns and give you time to figure out the interface and focus on your creatures without worrying about being attacked until you're more familiar or things are running smoothly
  • In the manual, and elsewhere online, you'll find lists of the verbs/nouns the text parser understands; there are several non-obvious ones that are helpful for issuing specific commands or asking about specific conditions
  • The collectable "devices" that activate other rooms or improve recycling, etc. can normally only be activated by your creatures, requiring you to train/lead them through hazards; there is an add-on that allows you to activate these devices yourself
  • I'd recommend ignoring all the weird machines that you can wire together at first; it takes a while to figure that stuff out and set up, and it's a distraction when starting out because there are so many

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Alright, thank you for the tips.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

teethgrinder posted:

At least the FF XII one I'd call an "incentive" as opposed to "imperative." You don't need that to progress in the game. And of course nowadays you can just find that information on Gamefaqs.

It's an imperative to the kind of people who simply must do everything they can in Final Fantasy games, which I'm not. It was just a way to cash in on strategy guides before the faq went up on gamefaqs.

onionradish posted:

[*]I'd recommend ignoring all the weird machines that you can wire together at first; it takes a while to figure that stuff out and set up, and it's a distraction when starting out because there are so many[/list]

Bullshit, the first thing you should do is wire up an infinite cloud machine and watch the ecosystem go completely bonkers.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.

Bullshit, the first thing you should do is wire up an infinite cloud machine and watch the ecosystem go completely bonkers.
This sounds promising... details please. Exodus was interesting, but I got bored with the stinkers after a while.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Creatures 1 had so much poo poo made for it that it was a little unreal. Milkshake machines, greenhouses, vending machines dispensing everything imaginable, teleporters, force fields, you name it. Granted, a good deal of it rendered the already buggy experience even more crash-happy, but it was an almost unprecedented amount of free fanmade content for the time. Unfortunately most of it was hosted on old GeoCities pages, and now that they've finally gone the way of the dinosaur I suspect most of those downloads have too.

I always liked the first game's atmosphere the best. I never really played 2, but the spaceship theme they used for C3/Exodus seemed incredibly far removed from good old planetary life, even if it was simply to advance the incredibly inconsequential 'plot'. On the other hand... 1 and 2 don't have the instant language machine. Much as I liked Creatures 1, teaching those fuckers to speak was like rubbing your face against a wall made of sandpaper with every new addition to the population.

Assuming it still works online, the Docking Station add-on included with Exodus also lets you open portals to other players' games and let creatures roam between worlds, or you can swap them selectively. Which is cool.

Creatures Village was a far more simplistic, kiddy-fied take on the franchise that wasn't received all that well and I never bothered checking out.

And for a REAL obscure bit of trivia, there was a GBA game released only in Europe based loosely around the first game. :eng101:

smr
Dec 18, 2002

BeanBandit posted:

Wasn't Expendable the game that they trotted out mainly to show off the bump-mapping capabilities of the new Matrox video cards? I remember seeing screenshots of it in PC Gamer and thinking, "Man, that is some bumpy fuckin' water." I remember nothing else about the game.

Yeah, Incoming and Expendable were basically 3D card bundle-apps to show poo poo off. I had fun with each for short periods of time because stuff blew up pretty but they were INCREDIBLY shallow experiences that I can't at all imagine have held up for poo poo.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Well, I impulse-bought Patrician 1 + 2. The DOS version looks cute, and it might be cool to sail ships around on my netbook.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Serious Sam: The First Encounter is now on GOG for $9.99 and Serious Sam: The Second Encounter coming soon for the same price.

Athletic Footjob fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 3, 2010

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
I'm not sure why you'd get these now that the HD editions are out though? They're awesome games, don't get me wrong, but these older ones gave me trouble when I tried them recently and they are definitely looking a bit dated in the character department. I'm sure that'll all be ironed out now though.

I wish Croteam would make something new that doesn't suck. Serious Sam 2 :argh:

Hidden Asbestos fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Aug 3, 2010

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

doctorfrog posted:

Well, I impulse-bought Patrician 1 + 2. The DOS version looks cute, and it might be cool to sail ships around on my netbook.

You probably should have just bought Patrician 3. It's almost identical to Patrician 2 except that it's better.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Hidden Asbestos posted:

I'm not sure why you'd get these now that the HD editions are out though? They're awesome games, don't get me wrong, but these older ones gave me trouble when I tried them recently and they are definitely looking a bit dated in the character department.

GoG guarantees that the games they sell will work on Windows Vista and 7, so that's not a problem. And there's some things that the ol' Serious Engine could do that the new "HD" one can't.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Devil Wears Wings posted:

GoG guarantees that the games they sell will work on Windows Vista and 7, so that's not a problem. And there's some things that the ol' Serious Engine could do that the new "HD" one can't.

Such as?

Seriously curious here. I have played both the originals but have avoided the HD versions.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!
The HD versions don't have the fun physics based rooms where gravity gets inverted and all that good stuff.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I just got the email about Serious Sam and I have been meaning to get them for some time. Is it worth it to pay a little extra for the HD versions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bats posted:

The HD versions don't have the fun physics based rooms where gravity gets inverted and all that good stuff.

I can confirm this, the Second Encounter HD lacks that Aztecan or whatever is called room where you start running with inverted gravity on a tubed room and swaps the physics.

But still, HD versions improved the game quite a lot and if you can survive without a tiny bit of the game not being there, they have better sound quality aside of gfx improvements and is easier to find players via steam to play coop.