Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'll be in on this.

Another Sydney photog, shooting pretty much everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
Okay stupid names people will hate:

Based off songs I like:
"Ready Set No!" (Bomb The Music Industry)
"Blood & Thunder" (Mastodon)
"The Wallabee Dance Machine"(sic) (Paria)
"Wish you were here" (A play on the Pink Floyd Song)
"Don't Stay Home" (311)
"One Armed Scissor" (At The Drive In)
"Enjoy The View" (The GC5)
"Point/Counterpoint" (Streetlight Manifesto)
"False Idols Fall" (Comeback Kid)

My brother's suggestion: "Prestige World Wide"

Other names/ideas:

*Something with "Postcard" in the title.
*"3 Songs, No Flash" is taken but "3SNF" is open.
*Shoot First, Questions later
*The Comatorium

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

AtomicManiac posted:

Okay stupid names people will hate:

Based off songs I like:
"Ready Set No!" (Bomb The Music Industry)
"Blood & Thunder" (Mastodon)
"The Wallabee Dance Machine"(sic) (Paria)
"Wish you were here" (A play on the Pink Floyd Song)
"Don't Stay Home" (311)
"One Armed Scissor" (At The Drive In)
"Enjoy The View" (The GC5)
"Point/Counterpoint" (Streetlight Manifesto)
"False Idols Fall" (Comeback Kid)

My brother's suggestion: "Prestige World Wide"

Other names/ideas:

*Something with "Postcard" in the title.
*"3 Songs, No Flash" is taken but "3SNF" is open.
*Shoot First, Questions later
*The Comatorium

Something original, I wouldn't go for a song title. That could possibly bring up a copyright claim.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
I'll try my hat at naming:

1PartHarmony

PolyphonicPhotography

InequalTonality

DiatonicTones

(yay 8 years of music theory)

Also, I'll spring for the domain and chip in for hosting when we decide what it is. I also think we should go with wordpress for the backend. It'll make things look way more professional and it should make it more manageable for editors to review things.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
If we're in for this, I can do DC/Baltimore as well as Harrisburg/Lancaster PA.

didi-mau
May 1, 2007
"He’d sell you for a muffin"
https://www.soundsurveillance.com isn't taken

I think I could do a decent logo for that.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Fart Arsenal.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Sonic Photonic?

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

I, Butthole posted:

Something original, I wouldn't go for a song title. That could possibly bring up a copyright claim.

Hmm, didn't think about that.

quote:

Music Theory ones
I thought about something like some of those, but none of them sound right. I also thought of "Clef Notes", but it doesn't roll of the tongue too well.

quote:

Sound Surveillance
I'm digging this one.

quote:

Wordpress back-end
Sounds good to me. I know there's a lot of premium themes out there, which means it can't be too terribly hard to code for, and there's gotta be people that will do it cheap (if we don't have anyone in-house).

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Sound Surveillance is pretty rad.

Also, I went to Splendour in the Grass and had a grand old time at the side stages.

K-OS

Jonsi

Surfer Blood

Last Dinosaurs

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

I'm in Manchester, UK and shoot mostly rock & metal.

Is anyone else here shooting Bloodstock in a couple of weeks?

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

Ric posted:

I'm in Manchester, UK and shoot mostly rock & metal.

Is anyone else here shooting Bloodstock in a couple of weeks?

How did you get started shooting bands?

I'm in Liverpool you see but don't really know where to start.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

A friend's band played this festival thing today and I was there so I snapped a few photos for them:

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Bojanglesworth posted:

A friend's band played this festival thing today and I was there so I snapped a few photos for them:

Did you do something in post on the first one to light up their faces, or was that some kind of luck in the lighting?

I really dig the second one, except for the guy with the t-shirt/tie combo, but I guess that's a matter of personal style.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

AtomicManiac posted:

Did you do something in post on the first one to light up their faces, or was that some kind of luck in the lighting?

I really dig the second one, except for the guy with the t-shirt/tie combo, but I guess that's a matter of personal style.

I lightened up their faces just a bit. Is it too obvious/does it look bad?

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Bojanglesworth posted:

I lightened up their faces just a bit. Is it too obvious/does it look bad?

It's really obvious to my eye, but I doubt the average person is gonna notice/care. I might turn it down on the outside guys, since it's the most obvious on them.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I'm in for whatever gets decided.

My location is Preston, UK, but can travel to the entire North West to shoot if need be (Blackpool, Manchester, Liverpool maybe at most).

The scene around here is brilliant. I already shoot for UCLAN (University in Preston) so I do a lot of stuff here anyway.

Edit: I'm also getting into shooting for these guys: https://www.arkmag.co.uk

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

didi-mau posted:

- I'm from Melbourne

I, Butthole posted:

Just felt that sting today at Splendour.

"So when am I going to get ahold of my pit pass?"

"OH later when xxx has a break. Until then take social photos!"

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Another Sydney photog, shooting pretty much everything.

Well that's Sydney (me too!), Melbourne and Brisbane covered.

There's the Hobogestapo guys, Already Bored shoots for them and posts here too.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

AtomicManiac posted:

It's really obvious to my eye, but I doubt the average person is gonna notice/care. I might turn it down on the outside guys, since it's the most obvious on them.

It was really obvious to mine too. You may want to crop it down a little too.

I like the second one, but you may want to tone down the sunglasses of the guy on the far right. They are kinda distracting.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
The best part of concert pics is tapping your foot to time the flashes from the strobes to try to catch crowd shots.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

fronkpies posted:

How did you get started shooting bands?

I'm in Liverpool you see but don't really know where to start.
I wrote reviews and interviews first and was asked to take photos too at events where the publisher didn't have any photographers free. I later became more interested in photography and slid across from writer to photographer.

In Liverpool, there's a trend for venues to have an in house photograher cover events which the venue puts on, to the exclusion of other photographers, but they're easy with people photographing shows booked by third party promoters. Try just asking at Zanzibar or any of the venues round there if you can go along and shoot on a regular basis.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

Has anyone ever shot Sonar in Baltimore? I'm shooting there on sunday, and am not entirely sure what to expect.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

Ric posted:

I wrote reviews and interviews first and was asked to take photos too at events where the publisher didn't have any photographers free. I later became more interested in photography and slid across from writer to photographer.

In Liverpool, there's a trend for venues to have an in house photograher cover events which the venue puts on, to the exclusion of other photographers, but they're easy with people photographing shows booked by third party promoters. Try just asking at Zanzibar or any of the venues round there if you can go along and shoot on a regular basis.

Cheers, might give it a try.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Okay, we've got a nomination and 2 seconds for "Sound Surveillance".

If no one objects in the next day or so, this is it. If someone more web-savy than me wants to set everything up I'll be happy to chip in domain/hosting fees. I figure we'll have a PHPbb or some other basic forum on the site to discuss matters so we don't clog up this thread. I haven't looked at wordpress just yet, but someone mentioned that you can have multiple authors with one editor approving everything. I figure we can have 2-3 people approving poo poo, and basically just reading everything and making sure it's not complete poo poo, and posting it.

On the subject of templates, here's what I'm thinking:

The best 3-5 shots, leading with the shot with the most members of the band in it.
At least One paragraph on the performance, specifically including things like: Genre, who they sound like, and how well they performed. Stuff like sound quality, crowd interaction, was there lights, did they do some crazy stunts? are all easy things to hammer out a few sentences on. From there, you'll also list: 1) Where the people can get in contact with the band (Facebook, Reverb Nation, Myspace, Twitter, pick the 2 that seem the most updated) and where someone can get a copy of the bands music.

Alternatively, new album/EP reviews, and interviews with the band can be submitted. If you have the means, video interviews are fine with me. Keep interviews to about 10-15 questions, and videos to about/under 5 minutes. We'll set-up a youtube account for everyone to use as well.

As far as what is fair game, The only criteria is that THE BAND MUST HAVE QUALITY RECORDINGS THAT CAN BE STREAMED ONLINE (with links) WHICH CAN ALSO BE LEGALLY DOWNLOADED (again, with links) OR PURCHASED (with links or "On itunes" when applicable).

That's it. Obviously visually interesting bands are preferred, but good bands will not be disqualified for being shoegaze or something similar. Once we have the site up and running ONLY ONE POST PER 24 HOUR PERIOD to start with. This will allow us to get an nice spread of constant updates, when things get jammed up, we'll open that to 12 hour periods, when it gets jammed again, every 6. When it gets jammed up at 6, we'll start publishing based on terms of quality of the contribution; but we'll determine and discuss that If/When we get there.

Right now we're open to everyone in this thread/the dorkroom. When we hit 50 contributors we'll only allow people from cities/regions where we have no coverage, assuming the current contributors like their "sample" contribution. It'll be a democratic process to bring in people past the first 50.

On the subject of money/ad-revenue: People that paid money into hosting will be paid back, then hosting will be covered. Anything left over will be decided on a monthly basis. Some ideas: Save money for a bigger pot, design and purchase staff shirts for everyone/ x people at random, purchase marketing materials for the site, some kind of raffle for one person to get a new light/lens/bag/whatever, or donate it to a charity.

Any of the above points is open for discussion, but these are the rules I've devised in my head, and they all seem to make sense to me. If anyone has a problem, feel free to air your grievance and an alternative to my suggestion.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Any money made on advertising should go back into the site itself.

If one of the contributors has the right connections but just needs money to have a "Sound Surveillance" sponsored event that will get us lots of coverage, I think that those funds would be well used for that.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

dunkman posted:

If one of the contributors has the right connections but just needs money to have a "Sound Surveillance" sponsored event that will get us lots of coverage, I think that those funds would be well used for that.

To be honest I only signed up for this for the t-shirt.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

AtomicManiac posted:

To be honest I only signed up for this for the t-shirt.

Which raises another point. Wearing a site name/logo T-shirt while out on assignment would be good for visibility.

didi-mau
May 1, 2007

AtomicManiac posted:

Okay, we've got a nomination and 2 seconds for "Sound Surveillance".

If no one objects in the next day or so, this is it. If someone more web-savy than me wants to set everything up I'll be happy to chip in domain/hosting fees.

Alright. If everyone's reasonably happy with that as a name I'll go ahead and purchase that tomorrow and add it to my existing hosting. We're sort of hamstrung by the fact that most domain names that are short and sweet are already taken or being camped on.

The domain will only be $50 AUD and hosting will be pretty much negligible if I can add that domain to my existing hostgator plan.

If you'd like to contribute money that would be swell though because I'm not that tech-savvy so I'll be getting my overworked housemate to put together the site and I'd like to compensate him for his time.

Once it's up though it should be really easy to create accounts for those involved and the wordpress backend is relatively easy to come to grips with.

AtomicManiac posted:

On the subject of money/ad-revenue: People that paid money into hosting will be paid back, then hosting will be covered. Anything left over will be decided on a monthly basis. Some ideas: Save money for a bigger pot, design and purchase staff shirts for everyone/ x people at random, purchase marketing materials for the site, some kind of raffle for one person to get a new light/lens/bag/whatever, or donate it to a charity.

Any of the above points is open for discussion, but these are the rules I've devised in my head, and they all seem to make sense to me. If anyone has a problem, feel free to air your grievance and an alternative to my suggestion.

Can we create an account through paypal to serve as a funds pool for the site/promotional material?

If no one is in any particular hurry I'll work on some logo concepts and branding for the site over the next two weeks. I'd love to see what other people can come up with too, even if it's just drawing inspiration from other sites.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

didi-mau posted:

Alright. If everyone's reasonably happy with that as a name I'll go ahead and purchase that tomorrow and add it to my existing hosting. We're sort of hamstrung by the fact that most domain names that are short and sweet are already taken or being camped on.

The domain will only be $50 AUD and hosting will be pretty much negligible if I can add that domain to my existing hostgator plan.

If you'd like to contribute money that would be swell though because I'm not that tech-savvy so I'll be getting my overworked housemate to put together the site and I'd like to compensate him for his time.

Once it's up though it should be really easy to create accounts for those involved and the wordpress backend is relatively easy to come to grips with.

Can we create an account through paypal to serve as a funds pool for the site/promotional material?

If no one is in any particular hurry I'll work on some logo concepts and branding for the site over the next two weeks. I'd love to see what other people can come up with too, even if it's just drawing inspiration from other sites.

I'm not familiar with the USD/AUD exchange rate (last I checked it was 1:1.50 or something like that), but I can get a domain for like $10 USD, I don't know what the cost of adding it on to my hosting is, but I imagine it's a bit cheaper.

didi-mau
May 1, 2007
Sweet. Jump on that then. I don't understand why some places charge more for domains than others. It was $50 on CheapDomains.com.au for 2 years.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
When this plan is all sorted out and finalised, it might be an idea to do another "overview" post explaining everything because sometimes it's a bit tricky to go back and find posts etc. But it sounds good so far.

Edit: Any of you people around the North West UK, maybe we should make ourselves known to each other, might be cool to shoot events together or help each other out with contacts etc? http://www.flickr.com/photos/24715866@N02/sets/ is my Flickr sets URL if anyone wants to add me.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

AtomicManiac posted:

I'm not familiar with the USD/AUD exchange rate (last I checked it was 1:1.50 or something like that), but I can get a domain for like $10 USD, I don't know what the cost of adding it on to my hosting is, but I imagine it's a bit cheaper.
Times have changed friend, AUD$1 = US$0.91

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
I bought the domain, so no one freak out or anything when they don't see it's available.

Drop me an e-mail when hosting is figured out and I'll point it towards whatever.
nathantalley at gmail

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

If you guys want to use Wordpress to run the site I recommend going with Graph Paper Press for a premium theme. I use one myself and they have a great videos section that anyone can view and learn how to use Wordpress, edit the look/colours of a theme and how to include photos/videos in a post.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Man, I take a vacation for a week and all kinds of things come up. I'm definitely in for covering the Orlando area.

Here's a couple new edits on some of the promo shots I did while I was at warped tour. I'll have some live stuff to throw up in a bit as well.

The Word Alive

Of Mice and Men

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

dunkman posted:

I think thats the way to do it, with extra funds.

And also I'm in for Moncton, New Brunswick (east coast canada) I'll shoot anything in the area and have no problems traveling a bit if it's needed.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I have a quick question in terms of photo usage. As some of you know I recently "re-did" my music photography under a new name (Two Senses) and will be shooting all concerts/doing all promo shoots/any video I do under Two Senses (which hopefully will be indexed by google soon).

Now if I cover a show for Sound Surveillance would I still be able to use the photos for my own site/flickr/portfolio? I'm assuming I would be able to but I just wanted to check.

*edit* Boston, MA and New England area shooting

Also, as much as I love shooting local shows the lighting situation is always a nightmare. Either it doesn't exist or it's so lovely it's impossible to get any sort of natural looking color.

Like this (which is not my photo but from the same show I was shooting)

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 4, 2010

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

pr0digal posted:

I have a quick question in terms of photo usage. As some of you know I recently "re-did" my music photography under a new name (Two Senses) and will be shooting all concerts/doing all promo shoots/any video I do under Two Senses (which hopefully will be indexed by google soon).

Now if I cover a show for Sound Surveillance would I still be able to use the photos for my own site/flickr/portfolio? I'm assuming I would be able to but I just wanted to check.

I highly doubt a single one of us would care if you used your shots on your site too. I shoot for other people and put the photos up on my site regularly.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

pr0digal posted:

Also, as much as I love shooting local shows the lighting situation is always a nightmare. Either it doesn't exist or it's so lovely it's impossible to get any sort of natural looking color.
A wee bit of flash can help a lot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

didi-mau
May 1, 2007

rockcity posted:

I highly doubt a single one of us would care if you used your shots on your site too. I shoot for other people and put the photos up on my site regularly.

Yeah no one is going to try to claim exclusivity on any of the work you do. There's little enough money in music photography as it is.

Would be nice not to have personal watermarks on the photos that get uploaded though. if there has to be a watermark I'd rather it be consistent for all the shots.