Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Paul Pot posted:

stupid, fat, nfl, red white blue...no wonder they're america's favorite soccer team
...except they're nowhere near as popular in the states as United or even Liverpool/Chelsea I think are more popular here than Arsenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BFD Zio
Sep 27, 2004

Paul Pot posted:

stupid, fat, nfl, red white blue...no wonder they're america's favorite soccer team

Majority of people in the US don't know who the gently caress Arsenal is.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

real_scud posted:

...except they're nowhere near as popular in the states as United or even Liverpool/Chelsea I think are more popular here than Arsenal.

Based on my experience United and Chelsea are miles ahead of Arsenal and Pool who are about even.

Kiros
Mar 16, 2008

Does anybody know about the quake?
Bullshit!
Yeah Chelsea is far more loved in the US.... but don't ask them to name more than 2 players.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
How is it possible for a relatively small club like Chelsea to achieve such international popularity?

Voluspa
Mar 17, 2006

HURRRRley

Pissflaps posted:

How is it possible for a relatively small club like Chelsea to achieve such international popularity?

I hear money helps, also winning trophies with aforementioned money.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Putting five total matches on ESPN is good too, when three of them are Chelsea matches.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Pissflaps posted:

Obviously a lot of Americans have descendants from Chelsea

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

thehappyprince posted:

Obviously a lot of Americans have descendants from Chelsea

Plymouth Argyle, Portsmouth, Liverpool and Bristol to get their own US TV deal?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Kiros posted:

Yeah Chelsea is far more loved in the US.... but don't ask them to name more than 2 players.

Being an American who actually goes to MLS games I can tell you that most people in the US support one of Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool. It's not a surprise really. When you start getting into actual supporter's sections though the amount of teams supported diversifies. I know plenty of Fulham, Villa, Tottenham fans in my supporter's group. There's even a Stoke fan. That's just the Premiership as there are plenty of Bundesliga fans too.

Pretty much every Spanish speaking person I work with that watches football supporters either United, Milan, Real Madrid, or Barcelona. They're all from Central America though and don't really have ties to teams.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Paul Pot posted:

It's nothing special, but quite the improvement over that christmas carol thing.

- clean and simple design
- dominated by the team's colors
- big loving gun

No it isn't. It's bland, the wrong shape, and doesn't have the motto. The old one was awesome.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Guesstimate Jones posted:

Is there a place online to get scarves that aren't The Glory Four?

try Subside Sports or World Soccer Shop, who have a whole department for them.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Paul Pot posted:

It's nothing special, but quite the improvement over that christmas carol thing.

- clean and simple design
- dominated by the team's colors
- big loving gun

let me clarify, it's an improvement, but it is also Everything Wrong With Modern Crest Design in one lovely package, with its silly looking bevel effects, pointless addition of additional colors, and three-dimensional nonsense. that crest looked dated just a few years after it came out.

gently caress, the only good thing i can say about it is that it doesn't include a gradient.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Fag Boy Jim posted:

let me clarify, it's an improvement, but it is also Everything Wrong With Modern Crest Design in one lovely package, with its silly looking bevel effects, pointless addition of additional colors, and three-dimensional nonsense. that crest looked dated just a few years after it came out.

gently caress, the only good thing i can say about it is that it doesn't include a gradient.
No but it does have a loving idiotic and pointless two-tone background of different shades of red that continues to piss me off.

Just loving make it all the same shade of red ffs.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

real_scud posted:

No but it does have a loving idiotic and pointless two-tone background of different shades of red that continues to piss me off.

But the darker, mulberry shade is a historic remnant of the grand and storied tradition of the club, while the new, brighter shade is go-getting and modern, signifying Arsenal moving forward as a club?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

ibroxmassive posted:

But the darker, mulberry shade is a historic remnant of the grand and storied tradition of the club, while the new, brighter shade is go-getting and modern, signifying Arsenal moving forward as a club?
:sotw:

I'd really love to know wtf the designer of the logo was thinking when he did the two sides different colors. Whenever I've ever attempted to re-create the crest in a videogame or some other nerdy things, I always make it one color in an attempt to get back at that bastard.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me
visually they didn't change united's badge much, but what they did change was absolutely emblematic of a horrible shift in ideology

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

real_scud posted:

:sotw:

I'd really love to know wtf the designer of the logo was thinking when he did the two sides different colors. Whenever I've ever attempted to re-create the crest in a videogame or some other nerdy things, I always make it one color in an attempt to get back at that bastard.

You can see when they're side by side that the red on the right hand side is the same shade as the old crest, I'm guessing the new one is for the reasons I said, even jokingly.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

harperdc posted:

try Subside Sports or World Soccer Shop, who have a whole department for them.

Subside sports also has a whole department for them with more club offerings. WSS is pretty much limited to MLS scarfs, a few English teams and a ton of international teams.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
as long as we're talking about crest redesigns, I love Villa's

the new one looks loving great when it's put on a shirt, the old one with the stripes just looked messy

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
A star that means something, well done.

Couch
May 16, 2004

COME ON TOT!
I like our new badge.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Milan's badge has stayed relatively static for most of its history but at one point (I think in the early eighties, I was too young to remember) we had this

No lie, it kinda ruled.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
Madrid's just because I was curious:

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
<----Best crest

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

calcio posted:

<----Best crest

Did you draw it yourself?

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

Pissflaps posted:

Did you draw it yourself?

Intent was easy adaptation by spray paint and cut-out wielding, stabby hooligan scum.

Nyarlothotep
Apr 14, 2007
Don't fail to see Nyarlathotep if he comes to Providence. He is horrible — horrible beyond anything you can imagine — but wonderful. He haunts one for hours afterward. I am still shuddering at what he showed.
While on the subject of terrible crest redesigns, I submit my local team, FC Den Bosch:

Classy as gently caress.

Stoned Dragon breathing on a volleyball.

BoomtownRat
Mar 17, 2008

Noone Stops the Clockwork Orange
Just discovered Ajax's old logo, holy crap is it gorgeous.

Edit: While searching for Ajax's logo through the years I discovered this gem http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11956&page=83. Jesus Christ.

BoomtownRat fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 4, 2010

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

It'll be back sooner or later :colbert:

In actual kit news, City's home kit has burgundy on the socks. (Click New Home Kit, obviously) I can't for the life of me think why they've chosen this colour, makes it look like City forget theirs and had to borrow Villa/West Ham's. There's some marketing spiel bullshit about HIGH CONTRAST STRIPES THAT ALLOWS TEAM MATES TO SPOT EACH OTHER INSTANTLY, but historically I don't think there's any precedent for it. How bizarre.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

real_scud posted:

it makes the badges on the shirt look pretty sweet irl

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Fulham

From to

I don't know what the gently caress happened. I guess I quite like just how simple it is now, but it still seems like a shame that the crest is so generic.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
oops

kcer fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Aug 4, 2010

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10
Thailand has the best club logos. They're so ott that even American sports teams look on in shock and awe.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

They will be dancing in the streets of Nakhonratchasima tonight!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

SWAT CAT.

But yeah you all know I don't have much love for Arsenal but that old crest, when you get a version without the horrible gradient, looks classy. It's a shame what they did to it, much like the hatchet job on United's crest.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Couch posted:

I like our new badge.

I miss the latin motto :(

Daniel
Jan 30, 2004

Dignified.
I think I unironically prefer the old crest design for every team in the premier league.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Daniel posted:

I think I unironically prefer the old crest design for every team in the premier league.

Even Im not sure if I prefer this one to the new one, I like them both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Daniel posted:

I still hate Chelsea for ripping off our 1986 crest.

edit - Okay, so they had it first but their newest one still looks too much like our post-liquidation crest for my liking.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 4, 2010