Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

saintonan posted:

Here's my longshot guess: The Cure - Close To Me

Or the rip-off version: Lady Sov - So Human.

Edit: VVV if it's any consolation Robert Smith got about 40% of the profits or something.

HoldYourFire fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouDummy
Jun 24, 2005

HoldYourFire posted:

Or the rip-off version: Lady Sov - So Human.

Why the hell did I look this up? I am so angry now.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude

Polluxx Troy posted:

Da Lench Mob - Guerillas in tha Mist?

This is it, but I'm pretty sure I was conflating it with Paris' song of the same name. Thanks!

And about the mystery xylophone song, it may have been the start of Over and Over, but I don't think so; from what I recall in my song the xylophone was playing more of a scale. I liked that Cure song though.

DaveSpillings
Jul 31, 2007

"I'll just get a glass of orange juice." "no no no NO NO!!!"

VolumeOverTalent posted:

'Becoming Insane' by Infected Mushroom? Already been posted on this page, actually...

drat I'm stupid. Thanks!

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Maha posted:

And about the mystery xylophone song, it may have been the start of Over and Over, but I don't think so; from what I recall in my song the xylophone was playing more of a scale.

It's more of a steel drum than a xylophone, but could it be Alberto Balsalm by Aphex Twin?

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Maha posted:

This is it, but I'm pretty sure I was conflating it with Paris' song of the same name. Thanks!

And about the mystery xylophone song, it may have been the start of Over and Over, but I don't think so; from what I recall in my song the xylophone was playing more of a scale. I liked that Cure song though.

Oh God, now I'm thinking Around the World by ATC.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Maha posted:

And about the mystery xylophone song, it may have been the start of Over and Over, but I don't think so; from what I recall in my song the xylophone was playing more of a scale.
Can you make a recording of it? Like, just clap or hum or whistle or yodel into the mic or something?

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Maha posted:

And another one, a ridiculous longshot: all I know is it was electronic, with a hand clap and what sounded like a xylophone.
This could be anything Soft Cell ever did. Where Did Our Love Go for example, although that had snaps instead of claps with the xylophone coming in about halfway through.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude

Crows Turn Off posted:

Can you make a recording of it? Like, just clap or hum or whistle or yodel into the mic or something?

You're gonna hate me but I don't even remember it well enough to do this, I was just hoping for a flash of recognition :shobon:
And it might just be Around the World! At the very least, it sounds a lot like what I had in mind. Thanks y'all and if you think of any others post away

Treman
Nov 12, 2008
I have a memory of a live performance from the 90'ies which is the last song on a cd where the artist plays songs requested by the audience while beeing a bit intoxicated. Two of the songs i can remember are nirvana - heart shaped box, and a green day - basket case. I thought it was the revolting cocks, but i've looked through their discography with nothing. Anyone have an idea of what im talking about?

Treman fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 27, 2010

SMP
May 5, 2009

I can't remember the song, only the album art (I think). Someone was trying to get me into dubstep (I think). It was more ambient/chillout dubstep, if that makes sense, not the "WOOO WAWAWAWWAWAW WOOP OWOOPWOOP" stuff. The album art was black and white, it had a dude, maybe in a hoodie? I think he may have had a mask on as well.

The Bacon God
Oct 20, 2007

Himmelschreibende
Herzen

sky-writing hearts

SMP posted:

I can't remember the song, only the album art (I think). Someone was trying to get me into dubstep (I think). It was more ambient/chillout dubstep, if that makes sense, not the "WOOO WAWAWAWWAWAW WOOP OWOOPWOOP" stuff. The album art was black and white, it had a dude, maybe in a hoodie? I think he may have had a mask on as well.

Untrue by Burial, perhaps?

SMP
May 5, 2009

The Bacon God posted:

Untrue by Burial, perhaps?

Yes! That's it! Thanks!

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Cross posting from the 90s Music thread over in GBS...

I'm looking for a hiphop video that is basically riffing on hiphop videos. It plays out like a stereotypical rap video, but it comes with all these snarky captions that pop up referencing poo poo that's going on.

I have no idea who did the song, anything at all about the lyrics, what it sounds like or even when it may have been released (I'd guess late 90s, though, given it is making fun of rap cliches.)

Anyone have any idea what it is I'm talking about?

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Calamity James posted:

http://soundcloud.com/funkyplusone/deep-space-radio-107-5-wgpr-detroit-super-mix-6-17-07-94-d

You can skip to about 10:00. It's an electronic song from a Detroit radio show in 1994. The repeated lyrics are, "No one in this world ever had a love as sweet as you ???. Nowhere in this world will there be a love as pure as my love."

This is from a few weeks back, but I asked my brother-in-law who was active in the Detroit techno scene around that time. He identifies it as Locust - No one in the World (WFO mix).

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Perdido posted:

I'm looking for a hiphop video that is basically riffing on hiphop videos. It plays out like a stereotypical rap video, but it comes with all these snarky captions that pop up referencing poo poo that's going on.

I have no idea who did the song, anything at all about the lyrics, what it sounds like or even when it may have been released (I'd guess late 90s, though, given it is making fun of rap cliches.)

This makes me think of Reggie Watts - gently caress poo poo Stack, but the video doesn't really match up that well. You should watch this one anyway :colbert:

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Yeah, that definitely isn't it. But was funny as hell.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
We recently got a new radio station here in town and I find myself listening to it a lot. The station is a country station, featuring country songs from the 50s on up to the 70s. It's not bad country.
A while back, I heard a song that I really liked. It's been so long since I heard it, I can't remember any other words to the song but "... and heartache wins the race". Basically the song is about a woman who is cheating on him. The end of the song is called out like a horse race, with all of his different emotions and feelings being the name of the horses.
I've contacted the radio station but they can't give me any answers because I'm not specific enough about the song. A Google search of the one line I remember brings up a lot of things, but nothing that I'm looking for.
This has been driving me crazy for the past few weeks and if someone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

e: Nevermind, just after I posted this my mom called my grandmother up and found the song.
George Jones - The Race Is On

copy of a fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 29, 2010

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Sawyer Brown also did a pretty decent cover of that song.

I actually like a lot of Sawyer Brown, if you're interested in discovering some more country.

And, my question got resolved. The song in question was 'What They Do' by The Roots.

Here is the video for those curious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KssEuSXxoSE&feature=related

Calamity James
Apr 23, 2010

And I'll see you when the sun sets east, don't forget me.

Arturo Ui posted:

This is from a few weeks back, but I asked my brother-in-law who was active in the Detroit techno scene around that time. He identifies it as Locust - No one in the World (WFO mix).

What a pleasant surprise! Thank you so much! Please thank your brother-in-law for his help. :)

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Looking for a song that was played about fifteen years ago. The video showed an elephant that had a trumpet for a nose. I'd say it was house-ish and relatively popular. Would be very grateful for suggestions.

e: Found it: ultramarine - hooter (Carl Craig Remixes)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcjONmPIZII

Like anyone is reading this by now. At least listen to the song, you creep!

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 23, 2010

yung radish
Feb 24, 2009

oh no

Perdido posted:

Sounds like The Roots - What They Do.

edit: Hah, didn't see it got answered in the other thread :v:

yung radish fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 30, 2010

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I caught a glimpse of a video on MTV Rocks where some guy was running between some trees and there were screens hanging from them with something (some patterns or colours) on them. Anyone know what it was?

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Big kudos to anyone who can tell me anything about this...

It's a seriously hosed up piece of yodelling that I just received as a file from a friend (who got it from a friend), and it's not on shazam last time I checked.

http://krackelibrankelfnatt.com/yodel.mp3

My PIN is 4826 fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 31, 2010

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

Hoborg posted:

The song or group was called "Juice" (or was somehow significant to the song), and the music video had three female singers (20somethings IIRC) and also included three men dressed up as babies, but everything was against a bright white background. One scene had the three females pushing the men towards the camera in buggies/strollers. In the background of that scene the word "Juice" in bright orange lettering was displayed.

I'm probably wrong but is it Del Amitri Roll to Me?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUQWAR5UKaA

Wilhelm Wundt
Sep 28, 2004

The distinguishing characteristics of mind are of a subjective sort; we know them only from the contents of our own consciousness.
I've tried looking on google and the only thing that comes up is either a christian song or a post on AZlyrics.com asking about the same thing.

It is a rap song and here is part of the song.

"in the mornin when i rise
lookin to my left side
where she lies
telling me she wants to
rub my dick between her thighs
the size she wont get from other guys"

Anyone have any idea what song this is? I tried looking through NWA and Too Short's lyrics and nothing.

Thanks

aude omnia
Nov 14, 2004

Rap song with these lyrics:

"DJ Proof nominated, that's a good look
Lost to a song by Lil Wayne that ain't got a hook
It's all good, it just overthrows my message
We always throwin' money, then came a recession"

YouDummy
Jun 24, 2005

aude omnia posted:

Rap song with these lyrics:

"DJ Proof nominated, that's a good look
Lost to a song by Lil Wayne that ain't got a hook
It's all good, it just overthrows my message
We always throwin' money, then came a recession"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHBCa8e7X94

SG-83
Sep 6, 2004

I guess it's not just a dog thing!
I hear this song on the radio every week or two.

It sounds vaguely 70's disco, with nearly unintelligible lyrics. The only thing I could pick up was "Ooooooooh peace of mind"...or something like that. No matter how loud I turn it up, that's the only part I can recognize.

I already tried a bunch of lyric search sites, but couldn't find anything promising.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SG-83 posted:

I hear this song on the radio every week or two.

It sounds vaguely 70's disco, with nearly unintelligible lyrics. The only thing I could pick up was "Ooooooooh peace of mind"...or something like that. No matter how loud I turn it up, that's the only part I can recognize.

I already tried a bunch of lyric search sites, but couldn't find anything promising.
Blondie - Heart of Glass?

PostOfficeBuddy
Mar 11, 2008

I'm sorry like Atari who's the cousin to Caleco

Ivan Drago posted:

Nightmares on Wax - Nights Interlude (or Nights Introlude, one or the other).

THANKS. I knew I had that track lying around somewhere.

SG-83
Sep 6, 2004

I guess it's not just a dog thing!

Pablo Gigante posted:

Blondie - Heart of Glass?
I think that's it! Thanks!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
There was a cover of "Rocket Man" on a compilation album that was basically a bunch of 70s covers by indie bands. I think it came out mid90s or so and the band doing the cover had a female lead singer...would love to know the band name and if anyone remembers the name of the album that'd be great also since there were a couple of other good songs on there.

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Kekekela posted:

There was a cover of "Rocket Man" on a compilation album that was basically a bunch of 70s covers by indie bands. I think it came out mid90s or so and the band doing the cover had a female lead singer...would love to know the band name and if anyone remembers the name of the album that'd be great also since there were a couple of other good songs on there.

It's Kate Bush if you're talking about the "Two Rooms" record from the early 90s.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Serch is BACK! posted:

It's Kate Bush if you're talking about the "Two Rooms" record from the early 90s.

No, definitely not Kate Bush, this was a relatively little known indie band and it was a compilation of 70s covers by other similar bands.

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Kekekela posted:

No, definitely not Kate Bush, this was a relatively little known indie band and it was a compilation of 70s covers by other similar bands.

Oh crap, I bet you're thinking of the Fastbacks version. I had it on a b-sides/rarities comp though so I have no idea what the name of the covers record would be.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Serch is BACK! posted:

Oh crap, I bet you're thinking of the Fastbacks version. I had it on a b-sides/rarities comp though so I have no idea what the name of the covers record would be.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's who it was, good call. drat, I wish I could remember the name of that compilation though.

e: Ahhh, found it on Last.FM once I had the band name: "Super Fantastic Mega Smash Hits!" (and also apparently "20 More Explosive Fantastic Rockin' Mega Smash Hit Explosions!")

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 5, 2010

Endrian
Sep 2, 2004

Okay, I'm trying to figure out what the song is in the new Law and Order LA promo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc3Y-npLYy8&feature=related

I'm not very knowledgeable in Rap, but the beat seems pretty tight and I want to give it a full listen.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

OK here's a frustratingly vague one, my main clue is that it sounds very much like the beginning of the verse in this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pbdLqTh_x4

non embed - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pbdLqTh_x4

like the vocal melody has three notes kind of close together, then it shoots up. The rest of the song has a similar sor of feel too.

I'm driving myself crazy cos someone just showed me this and all I can think is how much like that other song it sounds like. I'm pretty sure it's fairly recent, got that upbeat indie feel. If you get it you're amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Shenadigins posted:

OK here's a frustratingly vague one, my main clue is that it sounds very much like the beginning of the verse in this song:

This is a shot in the dark, but it sounds like something you might find in a Strokes song, like Hard to Explain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXkm6h6uq0k