Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hungryjack posted:

Are you doing it via Hulu on a web browser? Or do you have something a bit more polished?

It works in a web browser (Firefox, IE, and Chrome all work), or via Hulu Desktop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I have an older laptop with a VGA out that I want to connect to my folks TV so they can watch Netflix. Their TV has HDMI/Component/Composite inputs. Whats the best way to get a good picture from the laptop to the TV? I looked at a few converters on Amazon and they all get poo poo reviews and say they don't work.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Hughmoris posted:

I have an older laptop with a VGA out that I want to connect to my folks TV so they can watch Netflix. Their TV has HDMI/Component/Composite inputs. Whats the best way to get a good picture from the laptop to the TV? I looked at a few converters on Amazon and they all get poo poo reviews and say they don't work.

If it is just for Netflix, they would probably be better served by something like a Roku box. For $90 it has an HDMI output and comes with a remote and just one cord and they are set.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Hughmoris posted:

I think VGA is component, you should just need an adapter to go from DB15 to RCA or BNC.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Majumbo posted:

If it is just for Netflix, they would probably be better served by something like a Roku box. For $90 it has an HDMI output and comes with a remote and just one cord and they are set.

You can also do the same with a Blu-Ray player. The Blu-Ray probably isn't useful for them but upconverting their "old" DVDs is a nice perk.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Hughmoris posted:

What are the specs of the laptop? It's possible it may not be up to snuff for Netflix, it can be kind of a bear on older systems.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I have an old system I'm tempted to use as a HTPC base.
It's an old s939 AMD 3200+ processor with a X800 GTO graphics card and a gig of RAM. Will this play HD MKVs? Or would I require more power? Seems a shame to throw it all out is all.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

A5H posted:

I have an old system I'm tempted to use as a HTPC base.
It's an old s939 AMD 3200+ processor with a X800 GTO graphics card and a gig of RAM. Will this play HD MKVs? Or would I require more power? Seems a shame to throw it all out is all.

My computer now is a 4200+ with that same graphics card and 1080p MKVs play fine, except for when the scenes get really high bitrate (like a screen full of birds on Planet Earth). I think the 720p version of Planet Earth even choked the system for those shots. This might even be my hard drive though, so I don't know. I'm guessing you will have a bit of trouble with only 3200 though.

strikrr
Nov 21, 2003
I was showing a friend of my a Acer Revo AR1600 setup that I have in my bedroom and he wants to do something similar for his living room. We went to find another Revo online and couldn't find the 1600 anywhere. I am curious of two things:

1. Are these not being made anymore/replaced with something else?
2. Is there something in the $200 dollar range that is similar...main things being able to connect it via HDMI?

Everything I looked for looked to be 300+

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

strikrr posted:

I was showing a friend of my a Acer Revo AR1600 setup that I have in my bedroom and he wants to do something similar for his living room.

Ditto, and the price is a point for me also. I could get a 3610 with 250G disk and 2G memory for €269 delivered, but it has become a point to get the drat thing as cheaply as possible. Also, Amazon.de packages apparently don't have wireless keyboard and mouse with them which raises the price a little more.

If anyone could point me to the cheapest Nettop box with HDMI that comes with a wireless KB & mouse and can do 1080p from local (internal or USB) disk, I'd very much appreciate it. Oh, and it has to do 230V since we're in Europe.

strikrr
Nov 21, 2003

Hob_Gadling posted:

Ditto, and the price is a point for me also. I could get a 3610 with 250G disk and 2G memory for €269 delivered, but it has become a point to get the drat thing as cheaply as possible. Also, Amazon.de packages apparently don't have wireless keyboard and mouse with them which raises the price a little more.

If anyone could point me to the cheapest Nettop box with HDMI that comes with a wireless KB & mouse and can do 1080p from local (internal or USB) disk, I'd very much appreciate it. Oh, and it has to do 230V since we're in Europe.

I don't have to have the 1080p or 230v but HDMI and price are my biggest areas. It seems like 2 months ago you could get the 1600 just about everywhere.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I'm hoping I can get some help with sickbeard. I tried their forums but their confirmation code was acting up.

I have everything set up to send nzbs to SABnzbd through sickbeard, but when I run a search I get this in the logs:

2010-07-25 18:48:11.560000 CP Server Thread-9 :: Unable to connect to SAB: [Errno socket error] [Errno 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond

What do I need to change?

Also, I though I remembered a way to get all of the backlogged shows to be searched manually but for some reason I can't find it.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now

strikrr posted:

I was showing a friend of my a Acer Revo AR1600 setup that I have in my bedroom and he wants to do something similar for his living room. We went to find another Revo online and couldn't find the 1600 anywhere.

Double ditto. I was ready to buy one of those this week but all I can find is the $329 3200. I'm about to pull the trigger due to impatience

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

abagofcheetos posted:

My computer now is a 4200+ with that same graphics card and 1080p MKVs play fine, except for when the scenes get really high bitrate (like a screen full of birds on Planet Earth). I think the 720p version of Planet Earth even choked the system for those shots. This might even be my hard drive though, so I don't know. I'm guessing you will have a bit of trouble with only 3200 though.

Ah drat. I could just clock it though I guess.
What OS do you guys run? I just want something so that I can serve media to it from other computers if that's possible. Linux is free so would that be a decent choice? Can VLC run on it?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
You don't want VLC for 1080p files, since it doesn't support GPU decoding. Try something like KMPlayer for Windows. Can't recommend anything for Linux, maybe try the latest build of XBMC?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I'm not going to be playing 1080P stuff, just 720P matroska files.
I'm just trying to think what OS will use the least resources since the computer isn't exactly a powerhouse.
Just trying to put an old computer to a decent use rather than leaving it in a cupboard.

What programs do you all use to stream content across from other machines?

Or I could just invest in another graphics card for my current PC and run my monitors off the current card, and then HDMI from a secondary card for the TV. I'm not sure what's a better option :(

Also can I even do sound through HDMI on any graphics cards?

E: Actually the second PC would be much better as I can just sit it next to my TV. Just not sure how to connect it now, as it has 2 VGA outs and no HDMI, my TV has it's VGA slot full with my 360 so how could I even connect it?
What a pain in the arse.

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 26, 2010

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Hob_Gadling posted:

You don't want VLC for 1080p files, since it doesn't support GPU decoding. Try something like KMPlayer for Windows. Can't recommend anything for Linux, maybe try the latest build of XBMC?

If you are using the latest version of VLC it supports GPU decoding.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

savesthedayrocks posted:

I'm hoping I can get some help with sickbeard. I tried their forums but their confirmation code was acting up.

I have everything set up to send nzbs to SABnzbd through sickbeard, but when I run a search I get this in the logs:

2010-07-25 18:48:11.560000 CP Server Thread-9 :: Unable to connect to SAB: [Errno socket error] [Errno 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond

What do I need to change?

Also, I though I remembered a way to get all of the backlogged shows to be searched manually but for some reason I can't find it.

Sickbeard talk is usually in the Usenet megathread, but I'll try to help you out.

For the error, check to make sure you're using the right IP address. Even though Sickbeard and SAB are on the same machine for me, it didn't like me using the actual IP, I ended up having to use localhost.

Some recent updates changed the way Sickbeard handles backlogged stuff. Go into the show, select the shows you want to search, and change the status to wanted. You might want to edit the show to select what quality you want to search for as well. Once done, go to Manage Shows > Manage Searches and you can force a backlog search from there.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

EC posted:

For the error, check to make sure you're using the right IP address. Even though Sickbeard and SAB are on the same machine for me, it didn't like me using the actual IP, I ended up having to use localhost.

Also, I seem to recall midgetspy recommending you try 0.0.0.0

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Thermopyle posted:

Also, I seem to recall midgetspy recommending you try 0.0.0.0

Ha! I had that typed out and deleted it because I couldn't remember if it applied to Sickbeard on some other web-based thing.

dlmachine
Sep 16, 2007

strikrr posted:

I was showing a friend of my a Acer Revo AR1600 setup that I have in my bedroom and he wants to do something similar for his living room. We went to find another Revo online and couldn't find the 1600 anywhere. I am curious of two things:

1. Are these not being made anymore/replaced with something else?
2. Is there something in the $200 dollar range that is similar...main things being able to connect it via HDMI?

Everything I looked for looked to be 300+

Ditto as well. I've come across a couple of barebones systems on sale, but I'm not sure how they stack up. Most recently, I was looking at this sale on Newegg. You'd still need to get the RAM and OS obviously.

I too have been getting somewhat impatient and I'm considering just getting the AR3610.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I thought ATI doesn't support GPU decoding?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

abagofcheetos posted:

I thought ATI doesn't support GPU decoding?

They do, but not on linux.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

evilalien posted:

They do, but not on linux.
Oh poo poo, well then ignore everything I said A5H, I never bothered with GPU rendering.

I'll have to get that set up and try it.

tokki g
Aug 18, 2004
If this belongs in games let me know.

I have a revo 3610 and want to play games on it. Nothing fancy, something as old/good as starcraft for example would be great. What games would work OK on this machine?

tokki g fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 30, 2010

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Maybe this should go in the OP, since I doubt I'm the only one with this problem. To disable the IR receiver in your laptop so your MCE remote doesn't gently caress with it while you're controlling your HTPC, change the following registry entry:

navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\HidIR
Note the value.
Change the value "Start" to 0 to disable.

Enter the previously noted value to enable. If you lose it, try 3 or 4.

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe
I'm in the position of needing both a new storage box and looking to replace my existing viewing solution (WD TV, it sucks). I'm intending to put XBMC on to Ubuntu using the following:

Silverstone LC10 HTPC Case
Enermax Pro 82+ PSU
Gigabyte H55M-USB3
i3 530
2GB DDR3 1600 RAM
D-Link network card for sharing connection on to Blu-ray player
MCE Remote

Anybody see any problems with this? I'm not including an optical as I have a spare I can use for install, but otherwise it wouldn't be used.

The case can hold 7 HDDs, which gives me room for 12TB plus a boot drive. It would sit under my TV, connected to the network, and be on 24/7 to serve the files. Although the majority of the use would be playing HD content straight on the box anyway.

Edit: not trying to be a cheapass, but trying to this as frugally as possible.

Henry Black fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 1, 2010

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
For all of you that were looking for a Revo 1600, Best Buy looks like they have one. It's $250, but has wireless. Everything else looks like the old 1600

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I have a Revo 3610 and wanted to know if there are any issues with laying it on its side instead of using the stand? I'm changing setups and its currently config doesn't really work for me.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I posted this in the Serious Hardware/Software crap keyboard forum, but I bet you guys would know better. My blind friend Randy is looking for a better wireless keyboard for his HTPC. He's got a logitech right now, but it has an oversized delete key. It drives him loving crazy when keys are non-standardly placed or sized. What do you recommend? I see a few recommends a few pages back, but none of them are full sized keyboards with numpad, etc. What he's looking for:

Full Sized with arrow keys, sixpack, and numpad.
Decent Range
Decent Battery Life
All standard keys in standard positions. Media control keys can be anywhere.
Under $100.
Mouse for his wife would be a plus.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sorry to blurt out a load of questions in one go, but it was a stressful weekend with all this and my browser is probably under collapse from all the various tabs I have open, which has generally lead me to 100s of pages of discussion with no easy answers.

I've rebuilt my HTPC which I usually just use to double click film/TV on in explorer and play in KMP. Nice enough, but was on XP and now is Win7 and hoping to use XBMC for the majority.

* I've plumped for the new 'Dharma' nightly build from the xbmcsvn.com site... is this generally the best distribution to go with? I had issues with the DX Installer build with regards to the networking (if I enabled the HTTP server, XBMC crashed). It's caused the least headaches so far, so presume it's the one to go with?

* The majority of the skins (Aero, Alaska) seem to prefer using a poster style cover for TV episodes rather than the old banner system (despite the fact the inbuilt scraper seems to grab banners with no option for posters). Is banner style pretty much done now? I have the XBMC iPhone App which is fab, and looks 10000% better with banners than posters, but then XBMC looks like arse with those aforementioned skins and trying to rescale banners into posters.

* Ember MM seems good, even if it insists on putting all those files in my Season folders rather than making it's own folder but I digress.., but seems a lot more finished for Movies than TV right now? I don't mind doing 160 shows by hand at it's incredibly slow pace on my line (UK 10mbit cable) but not if it's going to fight with XBMC constantly. I did the XBMC Connect module , but it doesn't seem to work wonderfully. I've added sources with XBMC and the movies side at least recognises but not the TV. Has that part been finished? Otherwise do I just let it put those files in the folder and disable the TV scraper? If I disable the scraper, how does XBMC know that it's a TV section and puts it in the right menu area?

It's nice to know in the few years I've not really messed about with frontends (I was a big fan of the XBOX version) that nothing has still really become finalised and works correctly out the box! Adds to the fun of it all I guess... Cheers

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

The pHo posted:

* I've plumped for the new 'Dharma' nightly build from the xbmcsvn.com site... is this generally the best distribution to go with? I had issues with the DX Installer build with regards to the networking (if I enabled the HTTP server, XBMC crashed). It's caused the least headaches so far, so presume it's the one to go with?

* The majority of the skins (Aero, Alaska) seem to prefer using a poster style cover for TV episodes rather than the old banner system (despite the fact the inbuilt scraper seems to grab banners with no option for posters). Is banner style pretty much done now? I have the XBMC iPhone App which is fab, and looks 10000% better with banners than posters, but then XBMC looks like arse with those aforementioned skins and trying to rescale banners into posters.

DX builds are definitely what you want. The GL versions are deprecated.

TheTVDB usually lists banners first and the scrapers just grab whatever is first. You should be able to manually change the thumb to a poster from the info menu (i on keyboard I think?) if TheTVDB has them available for the show. I think TheTVDB intends to tag banners and posters as such eventually, so when that does happen, the scrapers will probably add preference settings for it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aha, I forget about those keyboard shortcuts as I tend to use the remote to browse and set things up... if that's the case, I'll let XBMC do the scraping and ensure I back up my TV database once it's done. Is there really much advantage to using an external scraper like Ember? It does seem to grab a lot of info, possibly some things that XBMC misses. More experimentation I guess!

With regards to DX etc... I understand that GL is history, but Dharma is the road to 2.0 am I right? How do the DX and Dharma nightlies tie in to each other? I can see that skin makers have got Dharma builds running as well, is this a more experimental branch or as someone working on a new build should it be the one to go for? Thanks for the response.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

The pHo posted:

With regards to DX etc... I understand that GL is history, but Dharma is the road to 2.0 am I right? How do the DX and Dharma nightlies tie in to each other? I can see that skin makers have got Dharma builds running as well, is this a more experimental branch or as someone working on a new build should it be the one to go for? Thanks for the response.

Dharma is just the name of the forthcoming stable release to be created from the frozen (except for bug fixes) dharma branch. DX just means a directx windows build. Feel free to grab either regular nightlies or dharma nightlies. Regular ones will still be adding new features that may or may not be buggy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cracking, appreciated. I'll weigh one up against the other and see if I can work out why enabling the HTTP browser caused the DX build from the other night to crash.

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope

Domus posted:

I posted this in the Serious Hardware/Software crap keyboard forum, but I bet you guys would know better. My blind friend Randy is looking for a better wireless keyboard for his HTPC. He's got a logitech right now, but it has an oversized delete key. It drives him loving crazy when keys are non-standardly placed or sized. What do you recommend? I see a few recommends a few pages back, but none of them are full sized keyboards with numpad, etc. What he's looking for:

Full Sized with arrow keys, sixpack, and numpad.
Decent Range
Decent Battery Life
All standard keys in standard positions. Media control keys can be anywhere.
Under $100.
Mouse for his wife would be a plus.

Domus, I use this with mine and think it's pretty nice, if not a bit bulky (because, well, it is about as full-size as you'll likely get with an 'HTPC' keyboard):

http://www.amazon.com/Multimedia-Keyboard-Trackball-Wireless-GKM561R/dp/B002H0BOBA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1280931168&sr=8-2

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

A few months ago, I built my HTPC into an old 1930s wood radio case so it would look halfway decent. Then I got the brilliant idea to scrap that and put the HTPC, receiver, and speakers into a 1950s mid-century style console stereo, for a magic flatscreen stand that does everything, similar to this:

I get my TV signal over the antenna, and I've noticed that some channels have interference if I've got the HTPC on, but are nice and clear with it on. Since the computer will be even closer to the antenna with the new setup, I figure I need some kind of shielding.

I'm pretty sure the easiest solution is just to buy a small case, but I'd rather not do that because of how I plan on mounting the various components. So how do I best shield this thing so I can watch my crappy TV channels?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Whoah, whoah... slow down.

First, that's awesome. You have good taste in consoles.

Second, shielding is easy in theory. You have to make a virtually sealed container that is conductive. That's it. Just cover the cavity the computer resides in in foil or conductive paint. Make sure all the surfaces have continuity to each other.
It'd probably be easier (and period correct) to have the antenna on a cable that is away from the the computer.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Kynetx posted:

Whoah, whoah... slow down.

First, that's awesome. You have good taste in consoles.

Second, shielding is easy in theory. You have to make a virtually sealed container that is conductive. That's it. Just cover the cavity the computer resides in in foil or conductive paint. Make sure all the surfaces have continuity to each other.
It'd probably be easier (and period correct) to have the antenna on a cable that is away from the the computer.
Ok, that sounds easy enough. I'm not too worried about period correctness, considering there'll be a 42" plasma sitting on top of it. I've though about putting the antenna in the attic, but I'm not so keen on running a cable through two stories of walls to get it up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
Hello everyone, I'm looking to finally buy an HTPC for my living room, and was looking REALLY hard at the Acer Revo 3610.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103266&cm_re=acer_revo-_-83-103-266-_-Product

The only thing that's bugging me is processing power, a 1.6 Atom is just not enough, I know it runs fine, but a lot of people are reporting stuttering during playback, which I do not want to deal with.

Is there anything out there that bests the Revo in the CPU department, or is Acer updating the Revo to a new generation CPU like the Atom D525 dual-core processor, maybe with NVIDIA's Ion GPU or something similar?

I would also like to try and keep the ~$300 price point.