Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

mikewozere posted:

Do The Right Thing is a great film but I'm always a bit wary of Spike Lee. He has a ridiculously unique style, that can sometimes just emerge in his films unannounced. There's a bit in Inside Man which is out-of-place where Denzel Washington is floated forwards at speed after the gun-shot sounds. I'd say just be wary of his style approaching this film and you should enjoy it.

Embrace the corniness and you'll love it. EMBRACE IT.

Uhm? *cough*

Saw Ikiru, and screw you, whoever made me watch it. :unsmith:
This is now my second-favorite Kurosawa film.

-One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
-The Great Dictator- I don't think I've ever seen a Chaplain film all the way through.
-Once Upon a Time in the West- Love Good/Bad/Ugly and so forth, didn't catch this one.
-Vertigo- Don't generally like Hitchcock, I've always thought of giving this a chance.
-Lawrence of Arabia- Always seemed to epic for a "just try it".
-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind- That chick from Titanic is hot, but something about the marketing threw me off.
-Raging Bull- I usually don't jive with deNiro, I didn't even like Taxi Driver.
-Inglourious Basterds- Missed it at box office, haven't caught it since.
-Brazil- I saw 12 Monkeys, so don't give me that look!
-Star Trek(2009)- No matter how many people recommend it, I can't get past the orange/teal/lensflare/shakycam.
-Ikiru
-M- Metropolis is my #1 movie, all-time, haven't seen any other Lang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

TannhauserGate it's Lawrence of Arabia for you.

I always feel a bit bad when I watch a film like Kings of the Road because my mind often drifts off thinking about things in my own life instead of focusing on the film. Of course that's what makes the film so nice, it's a really enjoyable relaxed ride down the road with a couple of guys who don't say much, some pretty pictures, enjoyable music and the occasional event to keep things interesting. It was maybe a little too drawn out but I enjoyed it.

Updated list:

La hora de los hornos Now this is going to be real propaganda, and pretty long too, but the subject matter interests me so I should buckle down and give it a go.

America, America There's a Cahiers du cinéma top 100 films list out there and I have only 2 left. This is the one I would have a hard time making myself watch otherwise. A Kazan film about the American dream that's 3 hours long, that really doesn't sound very interesting but who knows.

Nostalghia Tarkovsky's cool, guess I need to see this.

Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler Replacing one long Lang silent with another.

The Shootist I'm on a bit of a western kick this week and I chose this only because it's one I don't think I'd watch otherwise.

The Traveling Players It's Greek and the director Angelopoulos is apparently well regarded. Don't really know much about this. It's the highest film on the TSPDT list I haven't seen.

Farewell My Concubine I've seen this film mentioned a lot of times over the years but I know nothing about it.

Beau Travail I've never seen anything from Claire Denis, this sounds like a good place to start.

Europa '51 Another highly regarded Italian director I'm kind of meh on, but it does have Ingrid Bergman.

Dodesukaden The only Kurosawa from his peak period between 1955 and 1990 that I haven't seen.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
Peaceful Anarchy, it's Farewell My Concubine for you. I've never seen it either, but I've heard good things.

Just finished Breathless. It's a beautiful movie, and just fun to look at. The use of jump cuts and the soundtrack really do leave you feeling breathless. But I hated Michel, hes such a douchebag. And I didn't really care for Patricia either when all was said and done. That being said, I feel this overwhelming urge to watch it again as soon as possible. It's gotten under my skin and I've got this feeling that it's going to be one of those movies that enters my collection, not because I necessarily like it, but because I have to watch it every now and again.

On a side note, during the scene in the beginning when Michel is driving through the country side, he says something that in the subtitles is translated into 'Gotta make tracks, Max' (or something,) though I'm pretty sure he says the name Alfonse. I couldn't quite make out what he said in French, but I would love to know what it is. If anybody more familiar with the movie and/or the language could help a goon out, that would be awesome.

New List:

A Fistful of Dollars I hated westerns when I was younger. Funnily enough the one that changed my mind was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Still not sure why I haven't seen the first two.

The Conformist Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

Sunrise Same as The Conformist

The African Queen Once again, no good reason.

The Rules of the Game Honestly never even heard of this film.

La Dolce Vita Saw 8 1/2, liked it well enough, but haven't gone any further into Fellini's films.

The Gold Rush Continuing my Chaplin journey.

Apocalypse Now Pretty much the same reason I had for Dr. Strangelove, though I've had less people tell me I'll like this.

Ordet Excited to watch this after having recently seen The Passion of Joan of Arc.

L'Avventura I've never seen any Antonioni, but I'm finding I really like Italian film from this period.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

tokillthesunflower posted:

On a side note, during the scene in the beginning when Michel is driving through the country side, he says something that in the subtitles is translated into 'Gotta make tracks, Max' (or something,) though I'm pretty sure he says the name Alfonse. I couldn't quite make out what he said in French, but I would love to know what it is. If anybody more familiar with the movie and/or the language could help a goon out, that would be awesome.

It's just a rhyme. I don't feel like putting in the DVD but it's something like "On fonce Alphonse" which translates to something like "let's go Alphonse". Since he's not actually talking to a guy named Alphonse the subtitles changed it to something that has similar wordplay.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
It's "allons-y, Alonso"

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

tokillthesunflower, you get to watch Apocalypse Now, preferably the theatrical version.

I watched Barry Lyndon and I have to say in all honesty it's one of the best looking films I've ever scene. That alone could have kept me through its 3 hour running time but I found the entire film fascinating, even with Kubrick's usual cold detachment. 9.0/10

My Shameful List:

1. Vertigo – I’ve watched a criminally small amount of Hitchcock.

2. The Rules of the Game – I’m going down the TSPDT list and this is right after Vertigo, I don't know much about it though.

3. 8 ½ - I've never watched a single Fellini film and I figured I'd start with this.

4. Tokyo Story – It's the same with Ozu films.

5. Metropolis – I haven’t seen that many silent films and this one intrigues me the most.

6. The Trial – Orson Welles says it's his best film, and I'll take his word on it.

7. Rear Window – Like I said, I need to watch more Hitchcock.

8. M – I’ve had the DVD since Christmas

9. Ikiru – One of the famous Kurosawa films I haven’t seen yet.

10. Amadeus – Looks good, but I don't know which version to watch.

Watched: Raging Bull – 9.8, The New World – 9.5, Pan’s Labyrinth – 9.5, Barry Lyndon – 9.0

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?

dotCommunism posted:

It's "allons-y, Alonso"

Don't tease me. If that is actually what he says, I love the universe. :neckbeard:

Nroo posted:

Apocalypse Now, preferably the theatrical version.

As opposed to Apocalypse Now Redux? Or is there another version I'm unaware of?

Fake edit: Looks like the disc on Netflix is a double feature and has both versions.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

He means as opposed to Redux. For the love of god, don't watch Redux. It's the Star Wars Special Edition of war movies.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I have the DVD that has both versions on the same disc and ended up watching Redux instead of the original because I must have clicked some button somewhere accidentally. I don't know what the differences are but the only thing that stood out as completely out of place was the dinner with the French people. What else is there that differs between them?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The second meeting with the playmates, the whole thing about Kilgore trying to get his surfboard back (in the original cut, he leaves with "Someday this war's gonna end..." - a terrific and creepy exit), and the part where Kurtz reads to Willard from Time.

Essentially, in the original cut, the further down the river they go the more hostile and inscrutable their environment is. Redux is like a whacky comedy of errors by comparison.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

penismightier posted:

The second meeting with the playmates, the whole thing about Kilgore trying to get his surfboard back (in the original cut, he leaves with "Someday this war's gonna end..." - a terrific and creepy exit), and the part where Kurtz reads to Willard from Time.

Essentially, in the original cut, the further down the river they go the more hostile and inscrutable their environment is. Redux is like a whacky comedy of errors by comparison.

Don't forget the stop at the French plantation that completely derails the momentum of the movie.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

It's such a shame, too. The original is one of the best paced movies I know of. It's like a fairy tale that gets darker and weirder and more horrifying every step you take.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Nroo posted:

6. The Trial – Orson Welles says it's his best film, and I'll take his word on it.

The Trial for you.

Sometimes it's hard to find the time to watch a movie as long as Ben Hur. Fortunately for me, tons of people have just left town for the summer so it should be easier to find time for the long ones. I also managed to knock another one off the list before I got to Ben Hur.

Ben Hur: I didn't really know much of anything going into this and I have to say it wasn't bad. Considering the length it held my attention just fine and the production values were great. Brooding Charlton Heston kind of reminded me of the Twilight kid. As for the plot, I didn't really enjoy the Jesus died and now everything is better and neatly wrapped up in the last ten minutes. Mostly I think the film left me with a bigger interest in the old silent version which I'll probably give at least a little time before tracking down.

Paris, Texas: I found this one really touching, and the end was incredibly bittersweet. Wim Wenders does amazing things with his locations. Travis' monologue at the end also reminded me of the end of Wings of Desire and I really liked it as a way to express so much emotion and experience in a concise yet compelling manner. One other thing that stuck out to me was a couple situations (bank, and another one shortly thereafter) that I don't feel you would see a child put in nowadays except to set up some sort of conflict or cautionary tale.

Updated list:

The Third Man - I have the Criterion bluray. Started watching it once but got interrupted.

The Seventh Seal - Haven't seen any Bergman and this one sounds interesting. I'm guessing I'll be adding several more of his to the list after I watch this one.

Breathless - I should probably see some Godard at some point too.

8 1/2 - Bluray on my shelf, just haven't gotten to it yet.

Battleship Potemkin - I need to watch more silents.

Taxi Driver - After Raging Bull I feel like it would make sense to continue with the Scorsese/De Niro team.

Ikiru - I love Kurosawa, but haven't seen this one yet. It's been recommended to me many times.

Andrei Rublev - I've enjoyed every Tarkovsky I've seen so far. Got about an hour into this one once a couple years ago when I was pulled away. Haven't gotten back to it yet.

Stagecoach - Been digging Westerns lately and the new Criterion release has this one fresh in my mind.

Seen from the thread: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Raging Bull, Paris Texas, Ben Hur

nah
Mar 16, 2009

FancyMike, ya gotta watch Taxi Driver!

Made a somewhat varied list here, just skimming through the IMDB top 250:

1. Seven Samurai - I guess the daunting length has prevented me?
2. Rear Window - Haven't seen much Hitchcock.
3. Once Upon a Time in the West - Haven't found any westerns I care for, other than The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
4. Sunset Blvd - This one always seemed "meh" to me
5. Aliens - I'm sorry :(
6. M - I enjoyed Metropolis...
7. Spirited Away - I find Miyazaki to be pretty weird.
8. Amadeus - No excuses. I've had this one lying around for a while.
9. All About Eve - Do I really wanna watch a movie that's ALL about Eve?
10. Annie Hall - Woody strikes me oddly...

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

bananasinpajamas, you must watch Amadeus. It's one of the best movies ever.

marioinblack posted:

caiman, Once Upon a Time in the West is my favorite Leone film, and I think you need to fix the issue of not having seen it yet now.

Holy crap what an awesome movie. I really liked The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, but I absolutely loved this movie. It's great for so many reasons. Leone has an impeccable eye for shot compositions. His lens tells the story. His perfect shots build amazing sequences - the near-silent opening is so intense and awesome, and the movie is filled with these. The music compliments the mood perfectly, and the casting is spot on. Fonda and Bronson are simply iconic and at the top of their game. This is Leone's best movie (I still need to see Duck, You Sucker though) and probably my favorite western. This is near perfect film making. Thank you very, very much for making me watch it.

New list:

12 Angry Men
All About Eve
Spirited Away
Once Upon a Time in the West

Das Boot - this is definitely one of my most shameful because I actually own the loving DVD and still have not seen it.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - This is one pretty far up on my Netflix queue already.

The Bridge on the River Kwai - No idea why I haven't seen this one, especially considering how much I love Lawrence of Arabia.

Life is Beautiful - I know very little about this except it's made by that little hyperactive Italian guy.

Downfall - I've had this one on my netflix queue for a LONG time. Not sure why I keep demoting it.

Cinema Paradiso - I know very little about this.

The Great Dictator - I began watching this on TCM a long time ago and had to stop for some reason. I liked what I saw, and I really enjoy Chaplin.

The Apartment - I've seen two Wilder films and I love them both. So I'm sure I'll like this too.

On the Waterfront - I like Marlon Brando, so I have no hesitation to see this.

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - We watched this in one of my film classes and I happened to skip that day.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

VorpalBunny posted:

But yeah, I suck. I won't post in here again until I watch it.
:ughh:

Guess what, y'all? I FINALLY WATCHED PATHS OF GLORY! At work, streaming Netflix on my desktop, no less. The shame just keeps on coming!

While the film is much more of a courtroom drama than I expected, it's still amazing and full of those tracking shots I love. Kubrick was a genius.

Caiman, watch Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. Sure, it's a sentimental and hokey, but dadgummit it will stir something pure and awesome inside of you.

My (still) shameful list:

1) Casablanca - I watched it once halfway through on a plane and never got around to finishing it. I know I would love it, I had it on DVD for a while, but I just never got around to it.

2) Vertigo - I've tried watching the film twice, and fell asleep both times about 30 minutes in. I usually love Hitchcock films, but the pacing on this one just gets me every time.

3) Let The Right One In - I'd love to see this before the American remake gets released.

4) Errol Flynn's Robin Hood - I just got crap for this over a few weeks ago. It has just never been something I considered a must-see, until I was told otherwise.

5) Flesh+Blood by Verhoeven. I like his other stuff, for the most part, I just never got around to watching this. I should probably also rewatch Robocop since I saw it once as a kid and never really got much more than awesome violence out of it. I would accept this double-feature as a recommendation.

6) The Lives of Others - I have been told this is a must-watch, and considering it won the Oscar over Pan's Labyrinth (not to mention I've rented this a few times without getting around to watching it) I am ashamed to have not seen it yet.

7) Volver - I rented this one a few times without watching it. I want to, I just never found the time. I love Cruz when she works with Almodovar.

8) Modern Times - I haven't seen most of Chaplin's work. I found myself to be more a fan of Buster Keaton, but I know I must see some of Chaplin's major work.

9) Shaft - I saw the remake, but never saw the original. I'm curious about the blaxploitation genre, especially since I loved Black Dynamite. I was also told I should see Dolemite so maybe I'll make this recommendation a double-feature as well.

10) City of God - I just imagine this will be pretty hard to watch.

Finally watched: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, The Music Man, Goodfellas, Paths of Glory

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
Vorpal Bunny go and watch Let The Right One In before it is bastardized and removed of all it's innocence.

Have just finished watching Casablanca and was a big fan. There's nothing exceptional about the direction but the story is just great and Humphrey Bogart's character is brilliant. Some of the line's he's given are instantly memorable, it's no wonder they've been parodied and impersonated countless times over. His on-screen relationship with Bergman is terrific also. I hope I'm not the only one that thinks Ilsa is a bit of a prick, though. She just seems to follow her whims and flit between the two, neglecting the consequences. Seriously, I hate her. I hope the plane she left on had engine trouble, there was only one parachute and Victor wrestled it off her. Bitch.

Anyway...

Updated List:

Casablanca
Cool Hand Luke - I loved Paul Newman in The Hustler but haven't seen any of his other films.

2001: A Space Odyssey - I don't think I've ever actually had the opportunity to watch this, but have heard great things.

Amadeus
Rear Window
Psycho - Might as well replace Rear Window with another Hitchcock film, seeing as I enjoyed it so much. Hope the parodies don't ruin this one, although I think I've already seen the infamous shower scene.

Seven Samurai
The Magnificent Seven - Seems fitting to replace Seven Samurai with this. Westerns are a genre that's almost completely missing from my repertoire, having only really watched Sergio Leone's and some of the more modern, post 90's ones. I put this down to my Dad's ceaseless watching of them when I was growing up and him being able to actually quote the next lines in pretty much any Western that was on.

Once Upon A Time In America
Zatoichi - Can't remember when or who recommended this to me but it's been sat in my DVD collection for about 4 years and I haven't watched it.

Bande á part - I bought this on DVD knowing it shared the name with Tarantino's production company. Never got round to watching it, though.

Jackie Brown - While we're on the subject of Tarantino, this is another film that has never compelled me to watch it, despite a friend of mine relentlessly quoting Samuel Jackson's lines.

Children of Men
The Deer Hunter - Heard it inspired suicides...not heard much else about it.

Badlands - All I know is, True Romance copied it's theme tune.

Downfall
Serpico - Big fan of Pacino but never sat down and watched this.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

mikewozere you get Badlands. That theme alone could make anything enjoyable.

Farewell my Concubine was one of those films that overstayed its welcome by trying to be too much. I really liked the first 40 minutes or so and the following hour was pretty good, but after that it ran into severe pacing problems and I really struggled to keep caring. It's the story of a couple of Beijing Opera actors who grow up together and perform through the turbulent politics of China. When the politics stayed as a backdrop things were pretty good but as they came to the forefront it seems Chen couldn't decide just how much time to spend on each part because some flash by with barely enough time to know what happened and others beat their point into the ground. Anyway it was a fine film, but that's about it.

Updated list:

La hora de los hornos Now this is going to be real propaganda, and pretty long too, but the subject matter interests me so I should buckle down and give it a go.

America, America There's a Cahiers du cinéma top 100 films list out there and I have only 2 left. This is the one I would have a hard time making myself watch otherwise. A Kazan film about the American dream that's 3 hours long, that really doesn't sound very interesting but who knows.

Nostalghia Tarkovsky's cool, guess I need to see this.

Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler Replacing one long Lang silent with another.

The Shootist I'm on a bit of a western kick this week and I chose this only because it's one I don't think I'd watch otherwise.

The Traveling Players It's Greek and the director Angelopoulos is apparently well regarded. Don't really know much about this. It's the highest film on the TSPDT list I haven't seen.

Beau Travail I've never seen anything from Claire Denis, this sounds like a good place to start.

Europa '51 Another highly regarded Italian director I'm kind of meh on, but it does have Ingrid Bergman.

Dodesukaden The only Kurosawa from his peak period between 1955 and 1990 that I haven't seen.

The Devils I've heard good stuff about this and the only Ken Russell film was a very pleasant surprise so I'd like to check out more.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

mikewozere posted:

I hope I'm not the only one that thinks Ilsa is a bit of a prick, though. She just seems to follow her whims and flit between the two, neglecting the consequences. Seriously, I hate her. I hope the plane she left on had engine trouble, there was only one parachute and Victor wrestled it off her. Bitch.

VAPID oval office

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.

mikewozere posted:

I hope I'm not the only one that thinks Ilsa is a bit of a prick, though. She just seems to follow her whims and flit between the two, neglecting the consequences. Seriously, I hate her. I hope the plane she left on had engine trouble, there was only one parachute and Victor wrestled it off her. Bitch.

:psyduck: You do realize that the reason she started up with Rick is because she thought her husband was dead, right? I mean, really? If you think she's a prick for that, how the hell is Rick not a prick for, oh, I don't know, not giving a poo poo about Ugarte? Neither of them are perfect, and it's not as if Ilsa is some femme fatale.

On a less annoyed note, Peaceful Anarchy, I applaud you making it through Farewell My Concubine; I watched it for a class and almost left after the 40 minutes or so of rampant child abuse. I totally agree that as it goes on, things get more and more heavy handed. (Plus, I'm not really cool with a film that has a suicide rate of approximately 1 per hour.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Peaceful Anarchy: you get Dodesukaden. It's very far from my favorite Kurosawa, but it's the only one on your list I've seen. There's still some good stuff in it, though.

I watched The Piano Teacher earlier today, and it definitely has Haneke's style to it. Huppert is great, of course, and her character is quite disturbed and disturbing. Haneke really makes some hosed up movies.

Updated list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one (or any of his early ones other than The Element of Crime)

The Piano Teacher
Apocalypse Now - Taking a break from all of the foreign or otherwise obscure movies, I decided I should throw in something that's pretty mainstream that I've never gotten around to seeing.

Z
Bad Education - I like the Almodovars I've seen and I've been meaning to see this one for a while, but I just never got around to it.

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour
The Thin Blue Line - There's kind of a lack of American movies on this list, and I also need some more Errol Morris under my belt. The only Morris film I've seen is Gates of Heaven. I picked this one in particular because it's on Netflix Instant.

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation - The length on this one is a tad discouraging. I haven't watched any other silents that are quite this long. I'm also worried the movie will piss me off, so that makes the length even more discouraging. It's pretty much the most "canon" film period, though, so I do still want to see it.

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera - I had actually never heard of this until I came upon it on the Internet Archive a few years ago. It looks intriguing, but I do kind of worry that I won't really "get" it.

Babel - I've seen Amores perros and this one's gotten some really good (and some less good) reactions

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo
Shoot the Piano Player - I love Truffaut and have seen several of his films, and love the French New Wave in general, so I'll throw this one in here.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita - I've seen quite a few Fellinis, but not this one yet.

Audition
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
Berlin Alexanderplatz - Since people seem to be taking the jump on this, I guess I'll throw my hat into it. I'm expecting the length will make me want to kill myself at least once or twice during it.

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?
Joining this thread now; lots of free movie-watching time in life.

dotCommunism, you get Apocalypse Now, but with a caveat: read Heart of Darkness first. It's a short book (~100 pages if I recall), a good read, and will give you incredible insight into some of the unspoken thoughts and emotions of the characters. You'll also be able to see where Coppola got some of his own characters and ideas from. Also, watch the Redux version, there's boobies and French. (The scene with the French is useless and adds almost nothing so skip it if you want).

Alexandr Nevsky; I've seen it but at a concert (long story, but at Wolftrap a full orchestra plays movies scores with the accompanying film) and I was too young to remember it. It will also be a chance to work on my fledging Russian.

No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood because they were two critically well-received films that came out a few years ago that I never got a chance to see.

Animal Farm ; I've never seen it and I'm in a fraternity. Rather shameful, I'd say. Along the same lines, Old School.

Once Upon A Time in the West, The Searchers, and the two "Dollars" films because I like epic westerns, spaghetti westerns, and John Wayne.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas; I've heard it's great, but evidently you need to be hosed up to get enjoyment out of it. I dunno, that's what my friend said, I believed her because she knows about movies and drugs.

Finally, The Seventh Seal; I like Ingmar Bergman, but there aren't enough medieval movies out there. The new Robin Hood was pretty sweet though, critics be damned. I enjoyed it. The only other movie I've seen in theaters in the past eight months was Salt and that poo poo sucked.

\/\/\/ I originally picked one for you, but dC posted before I finished writing so I edited my post. Yes, it took me 15 minutes to write this. Haha.

tolerabletariff fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 4, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

modestduty posted:

Joining this thread now; lots of free movie-watching time in life.

You need to pick one for dotCommunism

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I think I am literally the only person who likes the plantation scene in AN Redux.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FitFortDanga posted:

I think I am literally the only person who likes the plantation scene in AN Redux.

It's not exactly a bad scene, but it's from a totally different movie.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
modestduty, go watch The Seventh Seal. To copy-paste from my previous Seventh Seal recommendation: The Seventh Seal is actually pretty amusing in places. Don't tackle it like some huge monolithic towering achievement in Scandinavian existentialism. Which it also is, but it's not as somber as a lot of people make it out to be, or as impenetrable, for that matter.

So I watched Gone With The Wind, and I was (:v:) blown away. I frankly didn't really expect it to be so...modern? It had a really interesting edge that really makes it a lot different than what you'd expect from a 1939 film about a southern belle. For one thing, she's completely ruthless throughout most of the picture, and there are more than a few traces of Richard III in her. Of course, though it's this total ruthlessness that is eventually her downfall, she's not really aided by her bad luck. It just sucks to be her sometimes. It is impressive to watch her battle her way to the top in a very Charles Foster Kane kind of way, and even more impressive that the film is never satisfied to let her be two-dimensional. As much of an epic historical drama Gone With The Wind is, it's also a character study. We see her at her highest and lowest, we see her tell the truth and spin lies, we see her run the full gamut of emotions, and the film builds on what we learn about her character until the final act, which would be preposterous if it hadn't been preceded by three hours of character development.

It's also a goddamned gorgeous movie. The Blu-Ray is incredible, making it look at times like a film that could have been shot at any point during the golden age of the Studio (and there are a few scenes that look as if they literally could have been shot yesterday), and in fact if you told me it had been produced in 1969 I wouldn't bat an eye. There are so many absurdly breathtaking moments of cinematography that I can't even sort them out in my mind. The dramatic pull-backs of the characters in front of sunset clouds (are those paintings? they must've been monstrous), the use of silhouette, the moment when Scarlett comes down the red-velvet staircase to find Rhett drunk (the way she comes out of the darkness, and is later carried back up, is incredible), the tremendous crane shot of the hundreds of wounded soldiers (it ends on a tattered-but-flapping Union Jack), on and on.

Of course, the sheer fact that it held me on the edge of my seat for four hours is a tribute to how drat fine of a film this is. It's just unbelievable. It may become an annual thing.

SKAMMEN!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

1) Das Boot - Having just recently had to clean out my old family home, it became really obvious how much my dad loving loved this movie because I came across like four different recorded-from-TV VHS tapes. It's been on my "should see" list for a while but I've just never gotten around to it and I don't know why.

2) Bicycle Thieves - I rented this once but I never got around to seeing it. I remember it's referenced a lot in The Player (or maybe they go see it or something). Apparently it's quite good.

3) Moon - This came through our town pretty much momentarily and it's been hanging around on my Netflix queue for a while. It just never really gets up there for some reason or another.

4) The Apartment - Okay, technically I have seen this, but I can't remember a drat thing about it except that there's something to do with apartment swapping. But that's about it. Apparently it's magnificent, which I don't doubt, Billy Wilder rules.

5) Ikiru - This looks good, make me bump a bunch of other crap off my Netflix queue to watch it. Also this would basically be the first Kurosawa for me (saw The Bad Sleep Well a long time ago but I remember squat).

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) The Color Purple - This is one of those "You've never seen x? Not even in high school!?" films. It sounds intriguing, and I like Spielberg, and the DVD cover is a really nice shade of purple, but I've just never built up the desire to bump something else out of my Netflix top three.

9) Touch of Evil - First heard of this when I first saw The Player back when I was like fifteen. That's the age when you latch on to gimmicks like long takes or altered timelines and so I'm well aware of the opening shot, but I know nothing about the rest of the film other than it has something to do with bombs in Mexico.

10) The French Connection - Another been-in-the-queue-for-ages one, apparently it's a stunning magnificent thriller and frankly I could watch Gene Hackman eat a lightbulb and come away thrilled. Kinda miffed about the goofy color timing on the Blu-Ray, but it's ok, I managed Do The Right Thing, I could manage this.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Magic Hate Ball, you get to watch Bicycle Thieves.

I watched The Trial, and it was definitely one of the more surreal and unsettling films I’ve seen recently. The use of lighting and the sets was very effective with the overall mood of paranoia and anxiety, especially when the film occasionally dove into full-blown insanity. (The scene with the two policemen being flogged in the office closet stands out in particular.) It’s a superbly done film and ranks among Welles’s best. 9.6/10

My Shameful List:

1. Vertigo – I’ve watched a criminally small amount of Hitchcock.

2. The Rules of the Game – I’m going down the TSPDT list and this is right after Vertigo, I don't know much about it though.

3. 8 ½ - I've never watched a single Fellini film and I figured I'd start with this.

4. Tokyo Story – It's the same with Ozu films.

5. Metropolis – I haven’t seen that many silent films and this one intrigues me the most.

6. O Brother, Where Art Thou? – I really dig the Coen Brothers and I’ve heard lots of good things about this one.

7. Rear Window – Like I said, I need to watch more Hitchcock.

8. M – I’ve had the DVD since Christmas

9. Ikiru – One of the famous Kurosawa films I haven’t seen yet.

10. Amadeus – Looks good, but I don't know which version to watch.

Watched: Raging Bull – 9.8, The New World – 9.4, Pan’s Labyrinth – 9.5, Barry Lyndon – 9.0, The Trial – 9.6

Nroo fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 4, 2010

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Nroo posted:

Magic Hate Ball, you get to watch Bicycle Thieves.

I told him to watch this on page 14 and got ignored.

Seriously, go look.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
No, I'm just having trouble getting ahold of the Criterion version. I'm anxious to see it, I've heard great things, but I don't want to watch some piece of crap public-domain disc. It looks like the local library's got it, though first I'll have to wade through my old fines; Nroo, recommend me something else, and I'll put Bicycle Thieves on standby.

Nroo! Go watch and love Amadeus. As far as I know only the director's cut is available on DVD/BD. Some have said the original cut is better but I've never seen it. It's still a drat fine motion picture.

Anyways, I watched Touch Of Evil of my own accord. Welles is kind of a funny director because he's got such an interesting personal touch, but aside from Citizen Kane I don't know a single film of his that came out unscathed. Fortunately, though it didn't do much in a timely fashion, Welles wrote a huge memo detailing what was wrong with the hacked-up version the studio originally released, which allowed for an extensive recobbling in the late nineties. I guess whatever they did worked, because the film I saw was a weird, thrilling masterpiece. I mean, my palms were actually sweating, it was like someone had strapped my eyeballs to the screen. What I think makes it work is the feeling that anything can happen, which makes segments such as Susan's hellish stay at the motel all the more exciting. It's a totally unusual film in almost every aspect. The cinematography is worth a note, too, capturing that ugly dusty 50s vibe that you see in so many bad films from the era, the kind of crummy wallpaper and the old ceiling trim and the curtainless windows, and it's exploited in such a way that a simple location becomes grimy and suspicious (though I suppose the cleanliness of the Bates Motel serves to raise the tension in Psycho). It strikes right through to the ugly heart of the film's complicated (but coherent) narrative.

HONTE

Magic Hate Ball posted:

1) Das Boot - Having just recently had to clean out my old family home, it became really obvious how much my dad loving loved this movie because I came across like four different recorded-from-TV VHS tapes. It's been on my "should see" list for a while but I've just never gotten around to it and I don't know why.

2) The Conformist - I've been interested in this ever since I saw a neat cover someone made for it in a "fake Criterion art" thread somewhere, and it sounds interesting too. I'd like to expand my knowledge of Bernardo Bertolucci as well; I thought The Last Emperor was interesting if kind of flawed, but apparently he's a pretty big name.

3) Moon - This came through our town pretty much momentarily and it's been hanging around on my Netflix queue for a while. It just never really gets up there for some reason or another.

4) The Apartment - Okay, technically I have seen this, but I can't remember a drat thing about it except that there's something to do with apartment swapping. But that's about it. Apparently it's magnificent, which I don't doubt, Billy Wilder rules.

5) Ikiru - This looks good, make me bump a bunch of other crap off my Netflix queue to watch it. Also this would basically be the first Kurosawa for me (saw The Bad Sleep Well a long time ago but I remember squat).

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) The Color Purple - This is one of those "You've never seen x? Not even in high school!?" films. It sounds intriguing, and I like Spielberg, and the DVD cover is a really nice shade of purple, but I've just never built up the desire to bump something else out of my Netflix top three.

9) The Leopard - Well, I've heard this is good. I like films like this, films about society during an upset (I suppose that's one reason why I found Gone With The Wind so captivating), and it'd be interesting to see a film about Sicily, where my Grandfather was born.

10) The French Connection - Another been-in-the-queue-for-ages one, apparently it's a stunning magnificent thriller and frankly I could watch Gene Hackman eat a lightbulb and come away thrilled. Kinda miffed about the goofy color timing on the Blu-Ray, but it's ok, I managed Do The Right Thing, I could manage this.

STANDBY: Bicycle Thieves (hunting the Criterion disc)

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

:psyduck: You do realize that the reason she started up with Rick is because she thought her husband was dead, right? I mean, really? If you think she's a prick for that, how the hell is Rick not a prick for, oh, I don't know, not giving a poo poo about Ugarte? Neither of them are perfect, and it's not as if Ilsa is some femme fatale.

Well she 'thinks' her husband is dead, jumps straight into another relationship, then it turns out her husband isn't dead, so she leaves with a lovely note that doesn't explain anything and goes back to her husband. Then she comes to Casablanca with her husband, points a gun at Rick, tells him she still loves him but ends up flying off with her husband. I didn't say Rick was perfect I just think Ilsa is a massive prick who wants to have her cake and eat it. Sorry my opinion upset you.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

EDIT: Nevermind

Nroo fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 4, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

mikewozere posted:

Well she 'thinks' her husband is dead, jumps straight into another relationship, then it turns out her husband isn't dead, so she leaves with a lovely note that doesn't explain anything and goes back to her husband. Then she comes to Casablanca with her husband, points a gun at Rick, tells him she still loves him but ends up flying off with her husband. I didn't say Rick was perfect I just think Ilsa is a massive prick who wants to have her cake and eat it. Sorry my opinion upset you.

Fortunately for the movie, Ilsa is a complex character. She loves both men, in different ways. She loves Rick more passionately, but her duty is to Victor, both as a wife and as a soldier in the fight for freedom. The movie is all about making sacrifices for duty.

Rick posted:

I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

FitFortDanga posted:

I literally like it too, so you are literally wrong. Literally.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Nroo, you have an assload of great movies on that list. I'm gonna have to go with Tokyo Story, just because Vertigo is better the more Hitchcock you've watched (although it's amazing on every viewing).

While I was gone, I watched La Dolce Vita by my own volition and Night of the Hunter as recommended. La Dolce Vita, I think, would have been better to watch a decade ago than now. I'm now so instantly suspicious of glamor, and was so exhausted from empty partying when I watched it, that I became extremely detached from Guido. It felt like I already knew what he needed to learn, and he was never really capable of surprising me.

Night of the Hunter was beautiful, of course. The shot of the children's mother in the car underwater getting caught by a fishhook was pretty unforgettable. I didn't quite understand the resolution, however, and why Mitchum ended up being tripped up by a cat, running away in a manner most easily compared with Daffy Duck. It was excellent, it's just not quite something that moved me.

What did, however, was Hitchcock's Notorious. Holy poo poo, this movie was loving amazing. It has that unbelievable cinematography, but also one of the most brutal romances I've ever seen. I cannot recommend this film highly enough - it's my new favorite.

Here's my list:

1.) Les Enfants du Paradis
195 minutes please don't make me watch this fuuuuck

2.) Breathless
I've just never had a context for watching this, it's even short i like short movies

3.) Ordet
Honestly I've never even heard anyone reference this one before so who knows???

4.) L'Avventura
Dunno anything about it!!!

5.) Persona
I've only seen the Seventh Seal but it was sort of boring but prove me wrong!!!

6.) Andrei Rublev
Nooooo 185 minutes noooooo

7.) It's a Wonderful Life
I can't believe I haven't seen this

8.) The Magnificent Ambersons
Also short, hell yeah

9.) Ugetsu Monogatari
I need more Japan in my life

10.) Jules et Jim
Loved the 400 Blows, want more Truffaut in my life

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 4, 2010

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

ProfessorClumsy posted:

I literally like it too, so you are literally wrong. Literally.

I like the scene, I just don't like the scene in the movie - it takes too long, right when we are about to move into the last act.

Plus, the whole Coppola rant about how he hated the performances while filming from Hearts of Darkness always sneaks into my head whenever that scene comes on.

But, I'd take that scene over the Sirens/Bunnies scene anyday.

Also, I will someday get to Dogville - I just haven't had the time/desire to watch a three hour Von Trier film lately with work.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

FitFortDanga posted:

Fortunately for the movie, Ilsa is a complex character. She loves both men, in different ways. She loves Rick more passionately, but her duty is to Victor, both as a wife and as a soldier in the fight for freedom. The movie is all about making sacrifices for duty.

Yeah, mikewozere, I think you missed the part where Ilsa really didn't want to get on that plane, and it was Rick that essentially made the decision for her. He did it out of love, because for her to stay with him would mean her own moral self-destruction. Jesus, just thinking about this movie makes me want to watch it again very badly.

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
I saw that part, I was just blinded by my misogyny and think that Ilsa shouldn't be in a love with two people. I just feel sorry for Victor really.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

mikewozere posted:

I saw that part, I was just blinded by my misogyny and think that Ilsa shouldn't be in a love with two people.

She only allowed herself to fall in love with Rick once she believed her husband was dead, and chose to run away from him after she found out he wasn't. I'm not sure if you have problems understanding human emotion or something but she probably wouldn't have been able to just think 'well, I'd better stop loving Rick now'.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

mikewozere posted:

I saw that part, I was just blinded by my misogyny and think that Ilsa shouldn't be in a love with two people. I just feel sorry for Victor really.
Seriously, watch Notorious. It's the anti-Casablanca and your heart will loving break for Ingrid Bergman this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Nroo! Go watch and love Amadeus.

No Wave posted:

Nroo, you have an assload of great movies on that list. I'm gonna have to go with Tokyo Story,

Wait, what's going on :(