Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I would pretty strongly consider a 9-2 to replace my 128 if it looked less gimmicky inside and out than a Mini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

blindjoe posted:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190466

What I did this weekend: Fuel pump edition

That's an absolutely awesome hack on the removal tool. Now you probably need to do a memory seat airbag repair. I haven't seen anything older than an '05 without this being broken. Cheap loving clips.

kimbo305 posted:

I hope Spyker finds a way to update the platform without throwing all their design and engineering efforts at it. I'm completely ok with their perpetuating the Saab brand as means to keep building Spykers, but if they do it the wrong way, both birds are flying off.

The other side of this coin is the amount of naysayers who claim (still) that Spyker just bought SAAB so they could get the loan to keep their other stuff going for a bit longer. Their subtle such-a-hint-it-may-be-construed-as-a-promise of the hatchback return and other fairly opaque 'More SAAB-like-SAABs', I think there are enough zealots left to keep buying whatever they are for a bit longer.

I mean, hell, look at how long the 9-5 went without any loving updates to it, and some of us folks still bought them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I would pretty strongly consider a 9-2 to replace my 128 if it looked less gimmicky inside and out than a Mini.

Wait a sec - You'd get a SAAB rebranded product from another manufacturer if it wasn't gimmicky? Uhm.. Remember the 9-2x, the 9-7x? How much more gimmicky can you get. Or, did you mean less gawdy? If it's a mini, it's gonna be gawdy.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

ssh posted:

That's an absolutely awesome hack on the removal tool. Now you probably need to do a memory seat airbag repair. I haven't seen anything older than an '05 without this being broken. Cheap loving clips.

Well, thats 1 thing that my saab doesn't have wrong with it yet.

Also, it started up ok this morning, so I might have fixed something.

localized
Mar 30, 2008
I think that Mini based hatchback would be better if it didn't look so much like a Mini with a different grill...

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

ssh posted:

Wait a sec - You'd get a SAAB rebranded product from another manufacturer if it wasn't gimmicky? Uhm.. Remember the 9-2x, the 9-7x? How much more gimmicky can you get. Or, did you mean less gawdy? If it's a mini, it's gonna be gawdy.

The Mini's interior is so gimmicky it's legitimately the biggest gripe about it

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

Hagetaka posted:

The Mini's interior is so gimmicky it's legitimately the biggest gripe about it

Now I must see one closer than 'lookit dat hehee' when driving down the road. My curiosity is seriously piqued.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

ssh posted:

Now I must see one closer than 'lookit dat hehee' when driving down the road. My curiosity is seriously piqued.

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

Hagetaka posted:

Welp,

I.. I don't even know where to start.

Steering wheel screams 'Body by Logitech', Console with the dreamcast and Nintendo 64 controller in the center.. I just hope the rear view comes down like a periscope. :3:

It's like the perfect busy box for a manchild.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ssh posted:

As others have shown, the interior is awful. I don't have a problem with the center mounted speedo for retro, but the typeface and arrangement of numbers fit nothing else in the car. Not only that, a true Mini should be more functional than gawdy. I hope the new masters can figure something out that goes beyond GM's rebadge and ship approach.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ssh posted:

Welp,

I.. I don't even know where to start.

Steering wheel screams 'Body by Logitech', Console with the dreamcast and Nintendo 64 controller in the center.. I just hope the rear view comes down like a periscope. :3:

It's like the perfect busy box for a manchild.

Haha, you see my point now, yes?

The platform itself is a really nice piece and I enjoyed driving it, I just can't stand the way it looks inside or out. If you dressed it up in Saab design cues outside and a downmarket clone of the 9-3 interior inside, I'd be all over it. That was my point.

I'm not opposed to platform sharing done right. That's really the only way for a company like Saab to survive.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Hagetaka posted:

Interior by rubbermaid.

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Haha, you see my point now, yes?

The platform itself is a really nice piece and I enjoyed driving it, I just can't stand the way it looks inside or out. If you dressed it up in Saab design cues outside and a downmarket clone of the 9-3 interior inside, I'd be all over it. That was my point.

I thought the outside was laughable, but cute in it's own way. The inside, however, there is no goddamn excuse for that to have made it anywhere near production.

Does the horn go 'squeak', or 'aoooo-gah'?

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande
Saab 9-3 sedan to be built on entirely new platform.

"But it will be built on a proprietary platform, designed by Saab as opposed to inherited from GM. Saab will use that platform for other models, Muller said."

Hmm, this is precisely against what I stated above. Let's see if I was full of crap in 2 years. :rolleye:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I don't see Saab having the cash money to develop anything good from scratch.

Two years for a platform from sheet to production? That seams... ambitious

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't see Saab having the cash money to develop anything good from scratch.

...and in two years time, none the less? I'm thinking of a balsa wood unibody.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I mean I am willing to give them credit for probably having done a few design studies and drawings and some vague engineering exercises for contingency in the event that GM cut them off, but seriously, testing, development, revisions, tooling and all that poo poo takes over a year typically.

Gonna be a lot of dudes in Sweden making some OT.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Will it be a hatch?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It'll be interesting to see what they do with sedan/wagon/hatch. Don't know how popular the SportCombi was overall, I notice them a fair bit up here in NE but I like them and so I notice them way more than the sedan.

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It'll be interesting to see what they do with sedan/wagon/hatch. Don't know how popular the SportCombi was overall, I notice them a fair bit up here in NE but I like them and so I notice them way more than the sedan.

I'd so totally rock a hatch w/ louvers. I'd rather have a new Sonett, though.

localized
Mar 30, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Here in Maine I see way more SAABs than anywhere else I have been. The only 9-3SS that I see are old models, but the 9-3 SportCombi seems to be more plentiful and better looking. Especially in Aero trim :swoon:.

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

localized posted:

Here in Maine I see way more SAABs than anywhere else I have been.

It's funny - I wrote up a pointless diatribe about something similar, then decided not to post it, because who loving cares, right?

I took a ~1500 mile trip.

After about 900 miles, I saw, and paired up with the first SAAB I saw, a laser red 9-5 of same body style/build (2006-2009), and we played leap-frog through the 50mph-on-the-highway Chrysler vans for about an hour.

Then we went separate directions :smith:

National park. Got to go through not-a-road-left-anymore roads, but thankfully, only minimal damage to the underside (not really anything) and very slight marking which I buffed the gently caress out of and waxed to hell when I got home.

Reach destination in a day and a half (I slept for a few hours, gently caress you, I'm old and don't like crashing): Bumblefuck, Montana.

There's a SAAB on every goddamn block. Every one. I lost my 'unique snowflake', drove to the local dealer, had my oil changed, and got a free leather keychain. :3:

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande
For a pointless bump:

Here they are, all in a row, by build date in descending order!

I'm considering painting the slug lime green and gluing googly eyeballs to it. [Y/n?]

[Protip: First and second are different colors, iPhone sucks. One keychain is silver, one's gold.]

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I work in automotive and one of my colleagues has a poster of the evolution of the Saab 99->9-3 it is so awesome.

She will only trade me for a poster of the Volvo 850 Estate BTCC up on two wheels and I just can't make that trade.

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I work in automotive and one of my colleagues has a poster of the evolution of the Saab 99->9-3 it is so awesome.

This one?

My indy/parts guy has one of those 99->9-3 posters, too. I think ElkParts sold them up until a couple years ago. They're not horribly rare - just nobody wants to give one up. Rasterbate the Volvo for a trade and be a true jorts-goon.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

She will only trade me for a poster of the Volvo 850 Estate BTCC up on two wheels and I just can't make that trade.

Is it this one? If so please tell me where you got it.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

ssh posted:

For a pointless bump:

Here they are, all in a row, by build date in descending order!

I'm considering painting the slug lime green and gluing googly eyeballs to it. [Y/n?]

[Protip: First and second are different colors, iPhone sucks. One keychain is silver, one's gold.]

Those two on the left are awesome, I love the old timey Saab logo with the head-on airplane. Sadly, my key is a dull lump of black plastic like the one on the right.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

jammyozzy posted:

Is it this one? If so please tell me where you got it.

Similar, it's the #15 car at a different track and the outside wheel is right up against the rumble strip so it's even more badass. I have no idea. I stole it out of our bullpen.

edit: it's friggin big though, I think like 22x36 ish.

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Those two on the left are awesome, I love the old timey Saab logo with the head-on airplane. Sadly, my key is a dull lump of black plastic like the one on the right.

Don't gently caress with the slug. It will make your life hell. I accidentally 'armed' it while still inside once and pulled the lock - it knew my fatass was inside from the sensor, and it let me out. Door closed, and I opened it thinking 'hey this is fine' within like.. 1s. My neighborhood got a 7am wakeup call. v:shobon:v

If you really care to, you can get new keys fitted to your car - but it's not going to be cheap. If you want to go that route, you might as well replace the ignition and reprogram your TWICE.

Keep the old style SAAB/SCANDIA emblems, though. Replaced the worn-outs on my 2K, and I just love to rock 'em that way. 2K1 has the 'new' emblems.

2k every 20 times or so doesn't want to leggo of the key. Although 1 mech buddy says 'don't use graphite', it's worked well so far. 2k1 only works with this one key - factory key will NOT roll the tumbler at all - got it stuck for like 15 minutes, and much cursing later, got it back and coaxed the car to rollover. Got a new one on order along with a new 9-3 SID. There's a very minor 'cut' in the underside of the rear window on the convertible top - which hasn't gone through, but it is noticeable. Did a track and found this 'brand new' looking top is from 2001, so it'll probably last me a few more years with the gentle marring.

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

ssh posted:

Saab 9-3 sedan to be built on entirely new platform.

"But it will be built on a proprietary platform, designed by Saab as opposed to inherited from GM. Saab will use that platform for other models, Muller said."

Hmm, this is precisely against what I stated above. Let's see if I was full of crap in 2 years. :rolleye:

Getting conflicting reports here.. but my first was newer..

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Our 2000 9-3 SE 'vert just started throwing the 1312/1334 codes and it may be part of the DIC recall. Why did it have to start throwing codes on a weekend when service departments are closed? :(

Faerunner fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 7, 2010

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

Faerunner posted:

Our 2000 9-3 SE 'vert just started throwing the 1312/1334 codes and it may be part of the DIC recall. Why did it have to start throwing codes on a weekend when service departments are closed? :(

Any idea if your IDM (DIC) is pre-QP3? It sure sounds like a failing cassette.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Have they started delivering the new 9-5 yet? I saw it for the first time in the wild the other day outside of Stockholm. Only got the briefest of glimpses but I like the new luxo-barge lines they're going with, though it looked suspiciously much like some sort of test mule with its simple black steel wheels.

Edit: Oh and I just found this, RWD Saab wagon :pwn:

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 7, 2010

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
This thread makes me want a Saab to go along with my Volvo. I'm going to start looking Quebec

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

ssh posted:

Any idea if your IDM (DIC) is pre-QP3? It sure sounds like a failing cassette.

I don't know, haven't looked yet, we just bought it and the CEL started late last night.

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Edit: Oh and I just found this, RWD Saab wagon :pwn:

Oh baby..

A SoCal dealer I know just got one in for training purposes; don't even have anything available outside of this one which was trucked in for the 'how to sell, what it is/what it does', etc.

I forsee a ton of 3M clearbras sold for the 2010. It looks awesome, but all of that clear plastic and the lights all over? I'm pretty sure it's going to look like a pizza the first time it goes off pavement.

sbaldrick posted:

This thread makes me want a Saab to go along with my Volvo. I'm going to start looking Quebec

I think if you own both, the universe explodes.

Faerunner posted:

I don't know, haven't looked yet, we just bought it and the CEL started late last night.

If you just bought the car and it does have a part circa 2002 in it that is known to be problematic, I'd seriously consider taking the car to an ASE certified indy to go through it top to bottom and make sure there's nothing else which was half-assed for repairs or maintenance on it which could end up costing you a ton of cash.

An old IDM on a freshly-sold vehicle that wasn't from the original owner's widow (who only drove it on Tuesdays) does not set very well with me - unless this was the case in your purchase. (For what it's worth, a CEL is now a MIL, and a DIC is now an IDM.. semantics)

I've witnessed 'forever burned on the brand' folks because they hopped in with both feet without doing the research to make sure they weren't getting into a problematic money pit. (A $2000 (US) SAAB built during the GM era means you're gonna be doing work on it, folks.)

Make sure you've got the PCV#6 update as well. I posted an image on how to 'tell' if it is installed earlier in this thread. I believe the picture was of a B235 (2.3) but it's not that different on the B205.

If you're not up to PCV#6, I'd also drop your oil pan and check your sludge factor, because there's a good likelihood your new car has not had the proper maintenance, and will eat your wallet and your soul, if you do not stay on top of it.

Also consider hopping over to the chat on SaabNet (M-F 6PM+ PST/PDT best times), and asking someone there with the 'red avatar' (ASE tech) to run your VIN for any/all warranty work and factory/GM shop work done.

That said, I have a 2K1 9-3 SE and I absolutely love it.. other than the weak-sauce factory stereo.

Edit: Since you've pulled your codes, I can assume that you safely know most, if not everything else stated above. The ranting diatribe is more for anyone else specifically interested - was not trying to browbeat you. :rolleye:

ssh fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 7, 2010

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

ssh posted:

Lots of non-useless :words:

Yeah, don't worry, I/we got into this fully informed. Talked to the dealer we got it from. They told us to get what needs done to it done and give them a number and they'd reimburse us (They don't have an on-site shop and they weren't exactly local) and were very apologetic since their shop couldn't get it to throw a code. And without resetting the codes (I left them so I could show them if they wanted proof) the light is off again. Could it possibly be they put platinum plugs in thinking they were doing the next owners a favor and it's just that and not the DIC (Sorry, my engine's DIC is way funnier to visualize.)

When stuff starts getting worked on we'll be going over it top to bottom ourselves. This thing is seriously gorgeous and we'll have to get some pictures up later today now that it's beautiful out.

We've owned the car for like 24 hours now and are up to about 170 miles and that's the only issue so far. Well, that and one of the rear interior lights apparently has a broken clip and keeps falling out, but that's easily fixed.

First of... many to come, undoubtedly!

Faerunner fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 7, 2010

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

Faerunner posted:

Could it possibly be they put platinum plugs in thinking they were doing the next owners a favor and it's just that and not the DIC (Sorry, my engine's DIC is way funnier to visualize.)

I usually still call it a DIC unless I'm talking to actual 'paid to do this' techs, some don't have much of a sense of humor. Others are pretty easygoing. After I bought my 9-3 (which I found via this guy), my indy gave me no end of poo poo about what a piece of crap car it was - after giving me the signoff on it being as good of shape as you can hope for in a decade-old SAAB that was actually driven. Evidently I'm the first one he tried that on who laughed instead of getting indignant for 'wasting money on a purchase'.

:q:

It's like everything else, I guess - some folks need to correct you 1000% on semantics, others could give a poo poo.

Honestly, I'd run nothing but NGK resistors. Nothing. I had some off-brand in the 2K when I got it and that was causing half of the 'doesn't want to run' issues (The other half was a dead G17 which loved to blow white smoke, and more than a touch of sludge.)

Faerunner posted:

First of... many to come, undoubtedly!

Man.. you just reminded me that I still want to get a spoiler.. it looks so strange w/o one. I've put almost 1k on mine already, and my god it's so nice to see (and sometimes hear) everything around.

I don't recall posting her in this thread yet, so hey, 93 SE buddies! :v::hf::haw:

After looking at your profile pic, I'm thinking of killing my rear headrests - not like anyone's ever going to fit back there.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Real 9-3's have roofs :colbert:

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Real 9-3's have roofs :colbert:

..except when retracted. :q: FWIW, yer also an NG900 93 buddy. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

ssh posted:

Edit: Since you've pulled your codes, I can assume that you safely know most, if not everything else stated above. The ranting diatribe is more for anyone else specifically interested - was not trying to browbeat you. :rolleye:

...from the mouths of fanatics.

Answered a Craigslist 'parting out' to get some parts for my new-to-me 'vertible.

Guy blew up the engine not once, but twice. No PCV#6 update, was not running resistors in the new DIC (which was used, of course), and there was massive play in the turbo.. oh, and he had a buddy rebuild it for him about 1,000 miles before he blew it up a second time. He did nothing but bitch about it as I cherrypicked small bits off (there really wasn't much there - I have no use for the transmission and the interior was quite worn). Said it'd be his last. I didn't even try to offer 'well poo poo you did everything wrong', being as he was already speaking of putting the worn-to-crap-and-back turbo into his '6x VW (was before 67, but not sure what year).

Lots of luck, buddy. Lots of luck.