Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Jahoodie posted:

Does anyone have a link to the pro photographer's pimp direct mail piece, that had custom boxes and cigars and coffee mug stained postcards? I can't find it again and wanted to show someone.

Casey Templeton yo: http://blog.caseytempleton.com/photography/2010-self-promo/comment-page-1/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

As much as I like the idea, something about his content puts me off. I wonder what some of the negative responses were like. I think part of it is how he presents his list of previous clients. It turns an impressive list of companies into a statement that you would roll your eyes at if he said it in person.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
I want to know where I can get one of those t-shirts.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
Advice: if you live in the upper Northern Hemisphere, grab your camera and look up tonight.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3335206

There's a big solar storm hitting tonight, should be some pretty intense aurora borealis action up there.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Advice: if you live in the upper Northern Hemisphere, grab your camera and look up tonight.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3335206

There's a big solar storm hitting tonight, should be some pretty intense aurora borealis action up there.
There's some pretty intense solid cloud cover going on right here, right now :suicide:

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Yeah, I drove 20 miles to a place with less light pollution just to watch the clouds roll in.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Does anyone have recomendations for good documentaries on photography?

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Well I live in CT, United States. So, by the map, it looks like I'm out. Doesn't look like good weather anyways.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

rcman50166 posted:

Well I live in CT, United States. So, by the map, it looks like I'm out. Doesn't look like good weather anyways.

I think you're also a day late on the storm.

Z
Jun 25, 2002

Wooten posted:

Yeah, I drove 20 miles to a place with less light pollution just to watch the clouds roll in.

I agreed to a camping trip in a pretty boring national park, just because it was in one of the darkest places in the state. We drove five hours to get there, stayed four days, and every night just after sunset the clouds would roll in, then they'd clear off around 10 am.

Waste of vacation days :argh:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Not this one

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I just found this guy on youtube who has some of "Whats in your bag" interviews with photographer.

http://www.youtube.com/user/damonwebster

brad industry
May 22, 2004

stizu posted:

As much as I like the idea, something about his content puts me off. I wonder what some of the negative responses were like. I think part of it is how he presents his list of previous clients. It turns an impressive list of companies into a statement that you would roll your eyes at if he said it in person.

I doubt he got any, it's these people's job to know photographers, what they do, and who they've shot for so I think they appreciate anything that stands out from the vast sea of robo-addressed glossy Modern Postcard mailers they get every day. I've done similar but smaller scale promos and people get really excited about them and love them, because it shows you give a gently caress and/or are an actual creative person.

Plus when you sink a ton of time and money into something like this you make sure to send it to people who use the kind of photography you do so it's not a waste.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

BBC has a six part documentary that's not bad. I found it online somewhere, but I'm not sure if Netflix, etc. has it. It's a pretty broad overview of the history of photography.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh man, thanks for reminding me. I got through half of that documentary, had to put it down and never picked it up again. Guess I have to find it again.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Goddammit woot fatigue do I need to PAY you to do a write up on how you shoot your interiors?

(Because I will.)

a little

robertdx
Mar 15, 2005

Lens slap

Interrupting Moss posted:

Goddammit woot fatigue do I need to PAY you to do a write up on how you shoot your interiors?

(Because I will.)

a little

He wrote some of the basics down here.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Holy poo poo balls woot fatigue take more meds.

Awesome. Thank you, both.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

This one looks worth a watch http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443698/ - haven't seen it myself yet though

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

War Photographer. I think its on Youtube.

James Nachtwey's one. Has a camera mounted directly on his shutter button.

Plus the poo poo he photographs is really raw and he is an amazing guy.

(plus I pretty much love his work)

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Denver Post posted:

These images, by photographers of the Farm Security Administration/Office of War Information, are some of the only color photographs taken of the effects of the Depression on America’s rural and small town populations. The photographs are the property of the Library of Congress and were included in a 2006 exhibit Bound for Glory: America in Color.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2010/07/26/captured-america-in-color-from-1939-1943/

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

dukeku posted:

I think you're also a day late on the storm.
They were saying it should still have been visible last night, but I saw nothing.

baccaruda
Jan 10, 2008
:psyboom: drat. Wonder if I should get me some Adderall.

robertdx posted:

He wrote some of the basics down here.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

I posted a link to Shorpy a while back that had most of those. #43 and #70 are my favorites. I think there is a flickr stream with more of those.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Whitezombi posted:

I posted a link to Shorpy a while back that had most of those. #43 and #70 are my favorites. I think there is a flickr stream with more of those.

Your link is to the full size, too. That shot at 43 is phenomenal.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The eyyesss... THE EYEEEEESSS :gonk:

Actually this is pretty bitchin. What would be used to take shots like these? Just a really drat good macro?

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Cadavers?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

unixbeard posted:

This one looks worth a watch http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443698/ - haven't seen it myself yet though

It was really hard for me to get into it. I watched about half of it.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

It was really hard for me to get into it. I watched about half of it.

Hah, there must be some rule that photography documentaries are super slow. I watched the first ep of that bbc documentary, it started a bit slow but it looks like it could be ok. I've seen this too, which again is fairly slow but I got through it ok http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0832903/

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
The BBC4 doc was great, I charged through all six parts in about two days.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

DJExile posted:

The eyyesss... THE EYEEEEESSS :gonk:

Actually this is pretty bitchin. What would be used to take shots like these? Just a really drat good macro?

Macro lens, f/16, strobe, 50% crop. It would be painful, though, you'd have to endure the flash.

Edit:

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I liked The Impassioned Eye, on Henri Cartier Bresson.

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 9, 2010

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
Looks like a ringflash, the reflections in the eye kind of ruin it a little for me

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ease posted:

Cadavers?
:science: When a person dies, the contractor muscle relaxes completely and the iris dilates fully. Because of this, iris scans are theoretically more secure than retina scans as a gouged out eye can still pass a retina scan while an iris scan will not recognize the eye of a dead person.

So yeah, just a really good macro lens.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Man this is a great image to explain out of focus blur/'bokeh'.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

So I guess now there's one thing m43 users can be smug about :laugh:

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

So I guess now there's one thing m43 users can be smug about :laugh:

I came here to post that link. Missed by minutes :(

Queue argument about how much of the better cameras take better photos effect is caused by having a camera capable of taking good photos vs people who know how to take good photos tending to own better cameras.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Leica point and shoot vs Panasonic point and shoot shows that pretty people only care what's on the outside!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

DJExile posted:

What would be used to take shots like these? Just a really drat good macro?

EXIF from the first photo:

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II
Lens: 100.0 mm
Image Date: 2010-02-18 22:22:30 +0400
Focal Length: 100.0mm
Aperture: f/20.0
Exposure Time: 0.0050 s (1/200)
ISO equiv: 160
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Manual
Flash Fired: No (Manual)
Color Space: Adobe RGB (1998)

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
How does the Canon 7D match up against the new Barbie Video Girl?

Only one way to find out:

http://holykaw.alltop.com/barbie-video-girl-vs-canon-eos-7d-video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Only a matter of time until someone makes an indie short using Barbie Video Girl.