Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Also I think my car broke down so I couldn't get there for a test too

e: :synpa:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Adar posted:

All through law school up until around two years ago, my recurring dream was that I got my LS diploma but it wouldn't be valid unless 22-28 year old me went back to senior year physics.

I'm 32 loving years old and I still have this exact dream (although it's usually my entire senior year of high school I need to retake) like once a month. The reason differs from dream to dream but the end result is always me sitting in something like Trigonometry going FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I'm not sure why as high school was never stressful for me, nor was college or law school other than the time investment. Maybe my subconscious was secretly freaking the gently caress out the whole time while I was outwardly :cool: but I don't think so...

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 4, 2010

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Paging Phil Moscowitz (I think - whoever our Louisiana lawyer is), there's an interesting LA question in the legal questions megathread.

At least, I think it's interesting.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

For the past three years I've had recurring dreams of some kind of composition class and a chemistry class that I've skipped the majority of/didn't turn in any work and probably will fail. They're weird because they progress, each dream is later and later in the semester.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

joat mon posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX3ePAOUK7U#t=4m18s

She was applying for a mid-level position; I'm sure she applied at the DA's too. They're really hurting for mid-level attorneys. They've usually got enough newbies, though. They start at 38,500. If you really want the info, I'll PM you.

Yeah, PM Me.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
In a 10 week summer program I gained 20 pounds. If that pace keeps up indefinitely throughout my working career I'll break a ton at about age 40

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Nero posted:

In a 10 week summer program I gained 20 pounds. If that pace keeps up indefinitely throughout my working career I'll break a ton at about age 40

Less chicken sandwiches please.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Gadamer posted:

Less chicken sandwiches please.

what; no

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nero posted:

Yeah, I haven't gotten exercise more than like once a month in the last ten weeks

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Nero posted:

I've gained something similar over the last semester. Too busy just readjusting to academic life to have the will to do anything. But yeah, it's time to get back on the wagon.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
This 3L year I'm just saying gently caress it and working out, I'm sick of letting law school destroy my body AND my soul. If I have to do the absolute bare minimum it takes not to get booted off LR then so be it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

J Miracle posted:

This 3L year I'm just saying gently caress it and working out, I'm sick of letting law school destroy my body AND my soul. If I have to do the absolute bare minimum it takes not to get booted off LR then so be it.

that's what 3L year is for I thought, the bare minimum

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
That was 2L. If you show up for your classes during 3L, you're doing it wrong

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I loving dread 3L starting up. I just don't loving care anymore.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
3L is going to rule. Should I write about steampunk or cyberpunk in my Law & Literature class? Maybe space operas? :allears:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Abugadu posted:

I'm inactive in two jurisdictions now, more because I didn't want to pay active membership fees than because of any CLE stuff. It's such a stupid sunk cost, because I'm not planning to practice in either of the two, but "you never know", and I wouldn't want to pay/take the bar again.

The big thing is that I, class of '07, have used my bar license twice in the intervening years: both times to represent my wife for fix-it tickets because I could take time off of work to go to court to sign the consent dismissal and she couldn't.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

I loving dread 3L starting up. I just don't loving care anymore.

Try being a 4E....

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Try being a 4E....

Roger, you poor fucker. Not only are you doing 4 years of this poo poo, you've clerked too. You probably know what you're doing right now.

I really don't think an extra year of law school (aside from WT&E) will do poo poo for me. I've got expert witness challenges to do and I'm 90% sure I'm going to trial during my finals period and my finals are going to tank as a result, just like they did when I was in a last minute MSJ brief-fest during finals last semester.

Bitch bitch grumble grumble.

Daico
Aug 17, 2006
So interview awards came out and my subpar grades netted me six interviews.

That said, for at least one of them, they seemed impressed when I called around back in June to do research and get a feel for the different offices and so on, apparently very few law students actually do this.

So while I can't say yet that this will have any impact on my actually getting a summer job offer, it seems like helpful advice: Call the drat people, can't hurt, might help.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.
Awards out for UT as well. 49 bids, 3 interviews, 1 alternate. All three interviews are lottery selects.

I'm hosed.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

William Munny posted:

Awards out for UT as well. 49 bids, 3 interviews, 1 alternate. All three interviews are lottery selects.

I'm hosed.

Jesus, I'm sorry man.

I owe you 6er of Dublin Dr. Pepper.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

CaptainScraps posted:

Jesus, I'm sorry man.

I owe you 6er of Dublin Dr. Pepper.

I will drink it while my body is burning bright, as I am covering myself in gasoline as we speak.

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

William Munny posted:

I will drink it while my body is burning bright, as I am covering myself in gasoline as we speak.

Can I have your stuff?

[Also your interviews]

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

Daico posted:

Can I have your stuff?

[Also your interviews]

Sure thing. They are lottery so they're worthless anyway.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

William Munny posted:

Sure thing. They are lottery so they're worthless anyway.

What's this mean, I'm not familiar with your system.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

evilweasel posted:

What's this mean, I'm not familiar with your system.

If I understand it correctly, the system is 60% preselect, 40% lottery. Either you got chosen by the firm or you get a random "lottery" slot. Or an alternate slot. Basically they didn't really want to interview you, but the CSO is making them.

Do I have that right CpnScraps?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

William Munny posted:

If I understand it correctly, the system is 60% preselect, 40% lottery. Either you got chosen by the firm or you get a random "lottery" slot. Or an alternate slot. Basically they didn't really want to interview you, but the CSO is making them.

Do I have that right CpnScraps?

Last year was 30% lottery but yep.

Go in those and have fun.

Fun fact: for 3Ls, we had 13 employers in Texas. I didn't even bother applying. Eccchhh.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CaptainScraps posted:

Go in those and have fun.

William Munney, I vote that you weep uncontrollably the entire time - from the moment they open the door until the full 15 minutes has run.

Make eye contact as you do this, and never break it.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

entris posted:

William Munney, I vote that you weep uncontrollably the entire time - from the moment they open the door until the full 15 minutes has run.

Make eye contact as you do this, and never break it.

To hell with that.

Go into an interview in drag. Be tasteful but still do it anyway.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
interview dick out like you didn't hit your last drive past the ladies' tee

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
So looks like I'm doing OCI for my firm this year. How do you suggest terrorizing the poor saps we aren't offering jobs to?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

gvibes posted:

So looks like I'm doing OCI for my firm this year. How do you suggest terrorizing the poor saps we aren't offering jobs to?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

interview dick out like you didn't hit your last drive past the ladies' tee

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

gvibes posted:

Go to your old school's exam database and pick out some shorter questions from whatever practice area you're in. Grill the fuckers.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

gvibes posted:

Let me guess: your response sheet is a single checkbox "this person is either socially terrible or loving wierd in some other way don't hire them even with good grades" and the rest of the decision is pure gpa.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

gvibes posted:

When you get the list of people you'll be interviewing, go to their Facebook pages and print out embarrassing pictures of them. Begin your interview by asking them to explain the pictures.

A firm did this to one of my friends during 2L OCI and the result was hilarious for everyone except him.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

evilweasel posted:

Let me guess: your response sheet is a single checkbox "this person is either socially terrible or loving wierd in some other way don't hire them even with good grades" and the rest of the decision is pure gpa.
There is a multi-part response form, with several open-ended questions, but that's probably the most important part. Though if I didn't recommend a callback, we wouldn't extend a callback, even if the person has awesome grades and is not socially terrible or loving weird (i.e., I just don't like you).

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

William Munny posted:

I'm hosed.
If that Goon Connection™ didn't pan out, I'd say you couldn't be blamed for withdrawing, unless being an attorney is a lifelong dream that will haunt you forever. Even though it would be a shame for A&F to lose a man of your talents it's not really enough to stick around for.

:smith:

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

gvibes posted:

Tell them your daughter died last week and she went to the school and you are here for the funeral, and your firm thought it would be "good for you" to do the interviews to take your mind off things. Then start to cry. Then have the poor girl in the interview awkwardly comfort you and then don't even give her a callback.

That was my most memorable and traumatic OCI interview anyway.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

HooKars posted:

Tell them your daughter died last week and she went to the school and you are here for the funeral, and your firm thought it would be "good for you" to do the interviews to take your mind off things. Then start to cry. Then have the poor girl in the interview awkwardly comfort you and then don't even give her a callback.

That was my most memorable and traumatic OCI interview anyway.

Are you loving serious? That is lack of empathy to a criminal level. I may be broke and alone but I can't believe at some point I thought I actually wanted to work at a law firm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Defleshed posted:

Are you loving serious? That is lack of empathy to a criminal level. I may be broke and alone but I can't believe at some point I thought I actually wanted to work at a law firm.

He said he wanted to too though so I'm not sure how it went down. If I were a partner of a firm and another partner said they wanted to do the interviews and it would make them feel better, I would probably tell them to just relax... but if they were insistent that it would make them feel better, I might give in. I was the first interview of the day and apparently he didn't break down on any of my friends in the later interviews.

The firm in question: http://www.eapdlaw.com/