Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Speaking of white balance in LR, is there a way to swap it so it goes the "proper" way? As in higher-colder lower-hotter? It really tweaks me out as I have to keep mentally adjusting my WB calculations for uni or LR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
Any help on the top left corner of this background? Its noticeably darker blue than the rest but I cant figure out how to get it matching the rest.

Tried hue/saturation layer then masking it in, tried clone stamping, tried making a selection then masking that in.

Annoying.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
What problems did you have with the clone tool?

I did this in about a minute and while it's a bit sloppy it shows that you can fix it if you spend just a little bit of time.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Hmm maybe I was just rushing it to much.

Will give it another try, Cheers.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
So I just got a new android phone, and I've been messing with some of the camera apps. I found one that offers retro camera effects, and I'm wondering if there's anyway I can get these looks (minus the tacky frames) out of photoshop and some high-res shots off my real camera.

The two I like are:
The 1950s Leica

and

A DIY Pinhole camera:

(my hosting)

I know I need to work in a grunge layer to simulate the scratches, but past that I really don't know what I'm doing. I've got a shoot coming up next week were the band wants to take some pictures that have an older feeling to them, so I'd like to get some kind of skill in getting some retro-looking pictures.

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
I took this photo yesterday and I love it, but is there a way to lessen the intensity of the sun hitting the right side of the pigeon?

Click here for the full 744x1322 image.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

fronkpies posted:

Hmm maybe I was just rushing it to much.

Will give it another try, Cheers.
You're getting into CGI territory again, with that one, just so you know.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Turd Nelson posted:

I took this photo yesterday and I love it, but is there a way to lessen the intensity of the sun hitting the right side of the pigeon?
It looks like you blew out those highlights, so no. Sorry.

baccaruda
Jan 10, 2008
I'd select the blue background, duplicate it as its own layer, and fill it with the same color at like 80% opacity. Maybe play with a gradient to give it some texture.

fronkpies posted:

Any help on the top left corner of this background? Its noticeably darker blue than the rest but I cant figure out how to get it matching the rest.

Tried hue/saturation layer then masking it in, tried clone stamping, tried making a selection then masking that in.

Annoying.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Turd Nelson posted:

Click here for the full 744x1322 image.

Were you shooting RAW or JPG?

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
In Photoshop (CS4) on Mac, is there a way to maximize the window with one click instead of having to drag it every time? I'm too tired to think of how to say it in correct English so here's a screenshot (on a PC!) to explain what I mean.

Above: how all files open
Below: how I would like files to open

On Photoshop for PC the window is always maximized.

Edit: The reason I want it maximized is because painting, transforming etc outside of the artwork is not possible otherwise.

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 10, 2010

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Ringo R posted:

In Photoshop (CS4) on Mac, is there a way to maximize the window with one click instead of having to drag it every time? I'm too tired to think of how to say it in correct English so here's a screenshot (on a PC!) to explain what I mean.

Above: how all files open
Below: how I would like files to open

On Photoshop for PC the window is always maximized.

Hitting F once does the trick.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Can you bind an action to opening new documents?

e: like this

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

What's the best tutorial out there for photoshop. I feel like I have a good command of what I use mostly, but I'm always finding random new things like "what I can add a border just by using the stroke command instead of loving around with creating a big white square that's slightly bigger than my image?"

So I guess what I'm looking for is a list of "hey neat!" things you can do in PS.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Paragon8 posted:

What's the best tutorial out there for photoshop. I feel like I have a good command of what I use mostly, but I'm always finding random new things like "what I can add a border just by using the stroke command instead of loving around with creating a big white square that's slightly bigger than my image?"

Why wouldn't you just 'increase canvas' with the dialogue set to 'relative' so you just need to key in how big you want your border to be?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

TsarAleksi posted:

Why wouldn't you just 'increase canvas' with the dialogue set to 'relative' so you just need to key in how big you want your border to be?

It was a while ago and very late. I've figured out how to do it easily now though.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

fronkpies posted:

Hitting F once does the trick.

Thanks!

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

TsarAleksi posted:

This is how I would do it too. As far as good tips and tricks, just try and pick up a few DVDs on photography, especially Joey L's ones, he's got one on all of his little tips for doing post in photoshop.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I've tried to do a bit of research on Lightroom 3 vs. Aperture 3, and it seems like a tossup in my mind. I've downloaded trials of both and haven't been blown away by either. I'm leaning toward Aperture just because it saves a decent amount of money, and then possibly picking up Photoshop down the line for any real nitty-gritty editing I need to do.

Am I going to regret this combination? Most post-processing books and how-tos seem to focus more on Adobe's products, probably because Aperture really wasn't that great until version 3, and Lightroom is available on Windows and Mac.

Can anyone offer their two cents?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ask brad how he feels about Aperture :laugh:
What it boils down to is that I'd rather have DNG's than Apple's proprietary database.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I bought Bibble a few years ago through some special deal and got the upgrade to 5 for free when it came out earlier this year. I also ended up with Noise Ninja in the process (it's integrated into Bibble if you have a current license).

I should use it a lot more and explore the other features because they really upgraded the hell out of it and added a lot of editing features, but my image management is independent of any software, and the only thing I really use Bibble for (and probably the same for LR or Aperture if I had those) is I pop in and do AutoLevel, "Perfectly Clear" and Noise Ninja on my digital images.

When I scan old negatives, after I hit 100-200, I use Bibble to generate JPEGs of the TIFF files for safekeeping since it's fast as hell on batch operations. It will use as much CPU as available and is a good test to see if all of your fans are working. There are a few other things I do in batch processing.

With the 5.1 release, it would probably do 95% of what I do in Photoshop, I just haven't gotten around to really learning it like I should.

You can download a demo: Bibble

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I've tried to do a bit of research on Lightroom 3 vs. Aperture 3, and it seems like a tossup in my mind. I've downloaded trials of both and haven't been blown away by either. I'm leaning toward Aperture just because it saves a decent amount of money, and then possibly picking up Photoshop down the line for any real nitty-gritty editing I need to do.

Am I going to regret this combination? Most post-processing books and how-tos seem to focus more on Adobe's products, probably because Aperture really wasn't that great until version 3, and Lightroom is available on Windows and Mac.

Aperture's closed database is a serious concern. Perhaps they'll open it later, but if your photos and their longevity are at all important, you have to take it into account. I hear it's p. decent otherwise, but I've never used it.

LR3's noise reduction is pretty great, too.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

scottch posted:

Aperture's closed database is a serious concern. Perhaps they'll open it later, but if your photos and their longevity are at all important, you have to take it into account. I hear it's p. decent otherwise, but I've never used it.

What do you guys mean when you say "closed database?" I can find the original RAW files without issue. Is the metadata what's locked down?

Also won't I get LR3's noise reduction and other whiz-bang features like lens-database correction with Photoshop CS5 anyway?

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
Yeah, metadata. That's a significant amount of time invested I would hate to lose. Again, not saying it should completely rule out Aperture for you, but certainly something to consider.

I've never actually used Photoshop's noise reduction, but LR3 is quick and produces great results. Lens correction is in PS, yes.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

scottch posted:

I posted a bunch of before & after's here if anyone's curious:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3092090&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=49#post380715109
(warning: Lady Gaga)

There was some other stuff done too (mostly just raising blacks), but you get the idea.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

teethgrinder posted:

I posted a bunch of before & after's here if anyone's curious:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3092090&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=49#post380715109
(warning: Lady Gaga)

There was some other stuff done too (mostly just raising blacks), but you get the idea.
Pretty impressive. I'm still doing some research into whether it's the same new noise reduction in PS CS5 (it sounds like it is), and if that's the case I'll probably stick with my original plan of Aperture and PS CS5.

Thanks for the feedback all.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Saint Celestine posted:

Is there any way to salvage some of these photos in post processing? I had to bump up the ISO cause I was shooting at night.

Most of your photos should be salvageable in photoshop by adding anywhere from one to three layers:

- Levels: Use the black/white/gray picker to select black, white, and optionally gray in your photo and it will already look 100% better.
- Brightness/Contrast: Crank up the brightness a little if you want to, bring up the contrast a little maybe.
- Hue/Saturation: Dial down the saturation to get rid of that ridiculously orange tint. Also you can play with individual hues and saturations so you can try bringing oranges or yellows down by themselves, though that'll affect most of the scene in this scenario.

Just adding these three and playing with the values for a minute or two got me in the ballpark of what I think is a resonable photo. Keep in mind that I prefer my photos desaturated a little, and my colours muted, so while I think this looks pretty good you might have the opposite idea:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Here are your other two. Same set of layers, just played with the values a little for each one:

That last one isn't that great because I didn't really play with it for too long. You can probably do better if you put in more than the ten seconds I did.

Also, as for the graininess, I kind of like it. I think it adds a little grit and film quality to a shot. Not too little, not too much.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I'm looking for a better way to streamline adding a copyright to photos for web-use. For a long time I had it set as two different actions, one for horizontal images and one for vertical images. My question is, is there a way to make it know to put it in the lower right corner for any image regardless of orientation and crop? I had to make the two different ones because it seems to do the placing and positioning by coordinates. I'd like to be able to make it automatable so that I can edit all my images and then set it to add them all at one time afterward.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

rockcity posted:

I'm looking for a better way to streamline adding a copyright to photos for web-use. For a long time I had it set as two different actions, one for horizontal images and one for vertical images. My question is, is there a way to make it know to put it in the lower right corner for any image regardless of orientation and crop? I had to make the two different ones because it seems to do the placing and positioning by coordinates. I'd like to be able to make it automatable so that I can edit all my images and then set it to add them all at one time afterward.

I still do it be hand, how can I set-up actions to do this?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AtomicManiac posted:

I still do it be hand, how can I set-up actions to do this?

If you want to do it the way I've been doing it and always crop to the same size, what you can do is set up a new action to record how you place it, size it, and position it. I make one for vertical photos and one for horizontal. I usually put in a sharpening step in there too to save some time.

I just wish there were a way to tell it, put it in the lower right corner of any image so I don't need two different actions. If I could do that I could automate it for an infinite amount of images at once.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

rockcity posted:

If you want to do it the way I've been doing it and always crop to the same size, what you can do is set up a new action to record how you place it, size it, and position it. I make one for vertical photos and one for horizontal. I usually put in a sharpening step in there too to save some time.

I just wish there were a way to tell it, put it X pixels from the lower right corner so I don't need two different actions. If I could do that I could automate it for an infinite amount of images at once.

A friend of mine (who runs 1320video.com) uses: http://k-lab-watermark.software.informer.com/ It costs money ($16) but when you consider the amount of time it would save you, it could be worth it, depending on what your time is worth I suppose.

And yea I always resize to 5inch on the short edge, 250DPI.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

AtomicManiac posted:

A friend of mine (who runs 1320video.com) uses: http://k-lab-watermark.software.informer.com/ It costs money ($16) but when you consider the amount of time it would save you, it could be worth it, depending on what your time is worth I suppose.

And yea I always resize to 5inch on the short edge, 250DPI.

ORRR you could just not watermark every photo because it is almost completely pointless in every way other than ruining the way the photo looks. A reputable magazine, newspaper or even a blog wouldn't use a photo with a big ugly watermark on it.

I'm sorry but putting a watermark on every photo looks amateur. Nobody is going to steal your photo and use it somewhere that would make any difference to your "career."

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bojanglesworth posted:

ORRR you could just not watermark every photo because it is almost completely pointless in every way other than ruining the way the photo looks. A reputable magazine, newspaper or even a blog wouldn't use a photo with a big ugly watermark on it.

I'm sorry but putting a watermark on every photo looks amateur. Nobody is going to steal your photo and use it somewhere that would make any difference to your "career."

It's not a water mark, it's small logo, and it's the blog's logo, and it's their requirement. It takes up about 1% of the image and is in the lower corner. Here's an example. It's also so you know which photographer took it since we have more than one contributor.

http://www.metalinjection.net/gallery?g2_itemId=26882

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Bojanglesworth posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't watermark it for "protection" most of my shots can be cropped minus the watermark and still look fine. I watermark them for the marketing (and I keep a copy sans the watermark usually). A lot of people won't put "Photo by: X" on a facebook page, but they will leave the watermark in the shot (even if they crop it out in the thumbnail). It's the easiest way to make sure you get credit, and when people see it over and over and over again it builds recognition in their head.

For the record: I don't watermark shots delivered to clients, nor do I watermark shots for portfolio purposes. On the other hand, if I go to a show and shoot the bands (and they didn't pay for me to be there), I'm going to watermark the shots. I'd rather look amateur now while I AM an amateur and build recognition then fail by trying to live up to some imaginary standard set by people who have no vested interest in my professional success.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

AtomicManiac posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't watermark it for "protection" most of my shots can be cropped minus the watermark and still look fine. I watermark them for the marketing (and I keep a copy sans the watermark usually). A lot of people won't put "Photo by: X" on a facebook page, but they will leave the watermark in the shot (even if they crop it out in the thumbnail). It's the easiest way to make sure you get credit, and when people see it over and over and over again it builds recognition in their head.

For the record: I don't watermark shots delivered to clients, nor do I watermark shots for portfolio purposes. On the other hand, if I go to a show and shoot the bands (and they didn't pay for me to be there), I'm going to watermark the shots. I'd rather look amateur now while I AM an amateur and build recognition then fail by trying to live up to some imaginary standard set by people who have no vested interest in my professional success.

Getting a paid job from someone seeing your photo on facebook is going to happen almost never.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Bojanglesworth posted:

Getting a paid job from someone seeing your photo on facebook is going to happen almost never.

It already has several times over, in the last 2 months I've picked up 2 promo shoots, an engagement shoot and a senior portrait session based almost entirely off posting my work (with watermarks) and tagging the shots. I've also gotten 2 inquiries about head shots, and 2 girls that want me to shoot suicide-girl-esque pictures of them.

It's a lot of work, uploading the shots then befriending the people and tagging them in thousands of shots, but it does build up and it does pay off. You'd be surprised how many people take notice.

VVVV Don't worry about it. I know my ideas on marketing and building a photography business aren't exactly viewed "positively" around here. Just remember if you only do the same things everyone else does, you'll only ever be as good as them. Business isn't an A->B->C thing, just like photography you can take chances and be creative, see what works, see what almost worked and correct as you go.

AtomicManiac fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 15, 2010

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

AtomicManiac posted:

It already has several times over, in the last 2 months I've picked up 2 promo shoots, an engagement shoot and a senior portrait session based almost entirely off posting my work (with watermarks) and tagging the shots. I've also gotten 2 inquiries about head shots, and 2 girls that want me to shoot suicide-girl-esque pictures of them.

It's a lot of work, uploading the shots then befriending the people and tagging them in thousands of shots, but it does build up and it does pay off. You'd be surprised how many people take notice.

Edit: dickhead thing to say.

New content: Oh, cool.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Found what I was looking for, there is an align function that should do what I need it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Care to make a quick write-up on it? It would probably come in handy for the Sound Surveillance guys, even if we're only doing a few pics at a time.

• Locked thread