Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

The_Frag_Man posted:

Does anyone know if the Asus Crosshair IV would work with OpenSolaris?
If you're using mostly general consumer hardware that's anywhere newer than a couple years old, you're likely to be sorely disappointed by hardware support in OpenSolaris. The best chances for getting hardware to work with OpenSolaris is to get some old Sun, HP, and Dell servers with mostly high-grade parts including Intel NICs, LSI or Areca RAID controllers, etc. - all among the most expensive parts you can get on Newegg for their respective category that is. Otherwise, expect lots of pain when it comes to hardware compatibility and an obscure developer base (had to look for alternative NIC drivers and found them on some Japanese guy's website, for example).

FISHMANPET posted:

Now if they would just change the ZFS license to GPL it could be in the Linux Kernel and I'd be happy as a clam.
Given Oracle owns the rights to ZFS now basically, not a snowflake's chance in hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

necrobobsledder posted:

Given Oracle owns the rights to ZFS now basically, not a snowflake's chance in hell.
Might be fun for Larry to gently caress with NetApp.

OatmealRocks
Jul 6, 2006
Burrp!
I've been looking at the Synology DS110j. I don't know much about NAS and have been reading up. I have read performance is to be expected (not great).. but does this means in terms for file read and write speeds via wireless?

I plan on putting a 2TB and have it sit in the other room which I will have it hooked up to the modem. My computer will be in the next room. I wanted to know what is the expected performance on file transfer wireless and wired to the wireless router?

Another possible setup would be having my iMac via cat5 to wireless router along with the NAS. WOuld file transfer between the two much faster? if so.. what can I expect? 75MB/sec?

Also how is the DS110j in terms of hosting a FTP and running torrents? How many torrents is it able to run?

Thanks for hte help.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Combat Pretzel posted:

You have to change your repository manually to update to developer builds from a stable one. If you managed to update to a dev build, you didn't do it by accident.

If you're at B134 you can switch over to the standard repo. Once you go past 134 you can no longer switch until the next stable repo comes out. So they don't update the dev repo until the stable release comes out, so people that want to switch to stable don't accidently get brushed ahead.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Is it possible to run opensolaris in a VM? Is it possible to assign raw disks directly to the VM?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

The_Frag_Man posted:

Is it possible to run opensolaris in a VM? Is it possible to assign raw disks directly to the VM?

Depends on the VM. OpenSolaris will work for sure in VirtualBox, but not sure if that has passthrough ability.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
You can do it with ESXi and a motherboard that supports VT-D, you can read about it here http://www.napp-it.org/napp-it/all-in-one/index_en.html . I want to build a storage server with this method so bad, it has so many advantages.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Perplx posted:

You can do it with ESXi and a motherboard that supports VT-D, you can read about it here http://www.napp-it.org/napp-it/all-in-one/index_en.html . I want to build a storage server with this method so bad, it has so many advantages.

Don't really need VT-d for raw device mapping: http://vm-help.com/esx40i/SATA_RDMs.php

I've got a Gentoo VM publishing NFS this way and it's great.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 1, 2010

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Initial NexentaStor impressions: CIFS performance is much better than FreeNAS. Interface is not nearly as intuitive, and lacks adequate protection against doing bad things. I accidentally wiped my data trying to reset my CIFS setup.

Does anyone know of any ZFS file recovery tools?

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

The_Frag_Man posted:

I've got opensolaris running on a VM with 2x1tb disks running off it. So far it works great :D

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Zhentar posted:

Initial NexentaStor impressions: CIFS performance is much better than FreeNAS. Interface is not nearly as intuitive, and lacks adequate protection against doing bad things. I accidentally wiped my data trying to reset my CIFS setup.

I don't think there ARE any. If you manage to do something stupid, the zfs guides all tell you that this is what those backups you made are for. With the complex geometry of the disks, and the modify on write architecture of the ZFS filesystem, I'm pretty sure you're screwed.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

OatmealRocks posted:

I've been looking at the Synology DS110j. I don't know much about NAS and have been reading up. I have read performance is to be expected (not great).. but does this means in terms for file read and write speeds via wireless?

I plan on putting a 2TB and have it sit in the other room which I will have it hooked up to the modem. My computer will be in the next room. I wanted to know what is the expected performance on file transfer wireless and wired to the wireless router?

Another possible setup would be having my iMac via cat5 to wireless router along with the NAS. WOuld file transfer between the two much faster? if so.. what can I expect? 75MB/sec?

Speeds are here, http://www.synology.com/enu/products/1bay_perf.php

WiFi is always going to be limited, you need tri-band 802.11n for best performance and it's not easy finding that.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

dj_pain posted:

I've got opensolaris running on a VM with 2x1tb disks running off it. So far it works great :D

I've got OpenSolaris running an Ubuntu VM with VirtualBox, and I'm desperately seeking a new solution. For some reason, bridging the one physical NIC into two virtual ones is causing havoc with my networking. It just drops the connection frequently, and it gets really bad until I reboot it once a week. I had this same problem with Xen and OpenSolaris is Dom0. So I'm not sure if I want to go the ESXi route or Ubuntu host with something else hosing the OpenSolaris VM.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

FISHMANPET posted:

I've got OpenSolaris running an Ubuntu VM with VirtualBox, and I'm desperately seeking a new solution. For some reason, bridging the one physical NIC into two virtual ones is causing havoc with my networking. It just drops the connection frequently, and it gets really bad until I reboot it once a week. I had this same problem with Xen and OpenSolaris is Dom0. So I'm not sure if I want to go the ESXi route or Ubuntu host with something else hosing the OpenSolaris VM.

Get an intel card. My e1000 based Intel NIC handles the multiple VMs fine. Apparently the injection they use makes some drivers poo poo themselves.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

With the complex geometry of the disks, and the modify on write architecture of the ZFS filesystem, I'm pretty sure you're screwed.

ZFS uses a copy-on-write architecture, which means if the delete were a single, atomic step, it would be pretty much guaranteed that all of the data were still there, perfectly preserved, and restoring it all would be a fairly simple act of going back one transaction. Now, given the amount of disk activity I could here going on, I don't think what went down was as simple as a single delete, but since there was no other activity afterward, most if not all of the needed file system data should be around.

For now, I've just ordered a couple new 2TB drives that I'll restore things onto, but I'll definitely be taking a stab at recovering from the deleted drives on a rainy day.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Zhentar posted:

ZFS uses a copy-on-write architecture, which means if the delete were a single, atomic step, it would be pretty much guaranteed that all of the data were still there, perfectly preserved, and restoring it all would be a fairly simple act of going back one transaction. Now, given the amount of disk activity I could here going on, I don't think what went down was as simple as a single delete, but since there was no other activity afterward, most if not all of the needed file system data should be around.

For now, I've just ordered a couple new 2TB drives that I'll restore things onto, but I'll definitely be taking a stab at recovering from the deleted drives on a rainy day.

I knew it was one or the other. Mostly the variable width stripes are what's going to gently caress you in the recovery. Especially if the geometry information was wiped.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Get an intel card. My e1000 based Intel NIC handles the multiple VMs fine. Apparently the injection they use makes some drivers poo poo themselves.

Yep that's what I have as well. ESXi doesn't support realtek nic out of the box so I just ordered two e1000.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

I've had this same problem with two separate Intel NICs.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

FISHMANPET posted:

I've had this same problem with two separate Intel NICs.

What was the driver used by the cards? Are the cards themselves on the HCL? Osol is hilariously picky about some stuff.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Zhentar posted:

Try:

zpool import -f poolname

On command line.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Combat Pretzel posted:

After 8 seconds of inactivity, the heads are parked off-platter onto a ramp. Next IO, they're unparked again until the idle time-out is reached again. If you don't stress your drive well enough, you'll be racking up a lot of these (un-)load cycles. The drives are only rated 50000 or so.

WDIDLE3.EXE allows you to bump the time-out up to 30 minutes.

I was just getting ready to move up to a NAS at home when I read this. So now I'm worried.

I was looking at grabbing a synology 210j or 410j, and some new drives to install. However, from what I can tell from this discussion there's two potential issues: TLER (which will gently caress up the RAID) and Idle head parking (which will shorten the lifespan).

So questions -

- Is idle head parking just a WD thing? If I read correctly this can be overcome by the NAS assuming it can manipulate advance power management settings? Does the synology do this (I would assume it does but I can't easily find it on their page)?

- The TLER issue is not something that can be fixed by changing NAS settings? So I'd need to find drives that either don't have it or where it can be disabled - is there any resource that's compiled that information yet?

EDIT: From what I could google up it looks like TLER isn't an issue for most of the software-NAS devices that are discussed in here:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-features/31202-should-you-use-tler-drives-in-your-raid-nas

quote:

The responses I received from Synology, QNAP, NETGEAR and Buffalo all indicated that their NAS RAID controllers don't depend on or even listen to TLER, CCTL, ERC or any other similar error recovery signal from their drives. Instead, their software RAID controllers have their own criteria for drive timeouts, retries and when a drive is finally marked bad.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 2, 2010

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

I knew it was one or the other. Mostly the variable width stripes are what's going to gently caress you in the recovery. Especially if the geometry information was wiped.

Yeah, that would complicate things. Though I have the benefit of knowing the correct file size for everything, so that could help fill in some gaps.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Try:

zpool import -f poolname

Unfortunately, that doesn't do me any good because the pool is just fine. I think what went down was a 'zfs destroy'

Edit: it looks like zpool history will at least tell me what happened.

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 2, 2010

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009
Does anyone have any experience with sil3132 based pcie(1x) to sata (with raid) cards?

After updating my mobo bios to latest possible (albeit 3 years old, as it's an old s939 board), the system doesn't post with the card install, no display, no beeps, nothing. Without the card, boots fine. Just trying to get it up and recognized in windows 7 to ensure the card's bios is up to date before trying again in opensolaris. I also tried throwing it in my p55/1156 based msi board, with the same result.

Bad card?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Crackbone posted:

I was just getting ready to move up to a NAS at home when I read this. So now I'm worried.

I was looking at grabbing a synology 210j or 410j, and some new drives to install. However, from what I can tell from this discussion there's two potential issues: TLER (which will gently caress up the RAID) and Idle head parking (which will shorten the lifespan).

So questions -

- Is idle head parking just a WD thing? If I read correctly this can be overcome by the NAS assuming it can manipulate advance power management settings? Does the synology do this (I would assume it does but I can't easily find it on their page)?

- The TLER issue is not something that can be fixed by changing NAS settings? So I'd need to find drives that either don't have it or where it can be disabled - is there any resource that's compiled that information yet?

EDIT: From what I could google up it looks like TLER isn't an issue for most of the software-NAS devices that are discussed in here:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-features/31202-should-you-use-tler-drives-in-your-raid-nas
All of this head-parking, WDIDLE, TLER confusion is why I only use enterprise drives, even in my home setups. Unfortunately they're way more expensive.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Wanderer89 posted:

Does anyone have any experience with sil3132 based pcie(1x) to sata (with raid) cards?

After updating my mobo bios to latest possible (albeit 3 years old, as it's an old s939 board), the system doesn't post with the card install, no display, no beeps, nothing. Without the card, boots fine. Just trying to get it up and recognized in windows 7 to ensure the card's bios is up to date before trying again in opensolaris. I also tried throwing it in my p55/1156 based msi board, with the same result.

Bad card?

If it does the same thing in your P55 board, yeah, dead or otherwise defective card. I've had weird controller conflicts before with SiI chips and onboard controllers (I think it was an Asus board with its own older SiI on it) but you shouldn't have that happen with a newer P55 board.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

All of this head-parking, WDIDLE, TLER confusion is why I only use enterprise drives, even in my home setups. Unfortunately they're way more expensive.

Yeah, I know it's a minefield but setting up a NAS with enterprise drives is just not in my price range, not when it means I'm looking at $600 minimum for 2TB of mirrored storage.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
use zfs or mdadm and it's not that big of a deal. Heroic recovery will be a non issue, and the drives have a 3 year warranty, assuming you have parity you should have no problems getting the replacement RMA drive. If you plan to keep your drives for more than 3 years, well, I don't know what to tell you.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

adorai posted:

use zfs or mdadm and it's not that big of a deal. Heroic recovery will be a non issue, and the drives have a 3 year warranty, assuming you have parity you should have no problems getting the replacement RMA drive. If you plan to keep your drives for more than 3 years, well, I don't know what to tell you.

For paranoia purposes I got a hot spare for my 4+1 RAIDZ pool.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

dj_pain posted:

Yep that's what I have as well. ESXi doesn't support realtek nic out of the box so I just ordered two e1000.

What method did you use to pass through the disks to open solaris?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Crackbone posted:

Yeah, I know it's a minefield but setting up a NAS with enterprise drives is just not in my price range, not when it means I'm looking at $600 minimum for 2TB of mirrored storage.
Anything that's claiming to be green or power-saving will do things like idle parking. Get some WD Black or the equivalent from other manufacturers.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anything that's claiming to be green or power-saving will do things like idle parking. Get some WD Black or the equivalent from other manufacturers.

Thanks. I think I'm going to grab a couple more Spinpoint F3s and repurpose the ones I have in my PC now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

My Samsung HD154s haven't done this - smartctl output:

code:
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       17
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   098   098   000    Old_age   Always       -       8629

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Well, CIFS small-file performance is massively improved switching to NexentaStor from FreeNAS; now I would consider things acceptable. But write throughput is still unimpressive; I'm usually getting 200-250 mb/s network throughput, but it stutters a lot, cutting out for a couple seconds at a time.

Edit: Looked at the Analytics tab in Nexenta. My transfer cutting out for a few seconds lines up perfectly with SPA sync calls taking several seconds. Research suggests all ZFS activity halts during SPA syncs. Now I just have to figure out what the hell I'm supposed to do about it.

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 4, 2010

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
And of course it was the SATA controller. The Sil3124 may be supported, but that doesn't mean it will work well. Now, I'm sustaining 40MB/s, which is good enough for me.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

My Samsung HD154s haven't done this - smartctl output:
The parking is counted in 'Load Cycle Count'.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
This may be a question previously answered, if so, my apologies.

I'm specing a replacement NTFS file-server. Our current server is an old PowerEdge 2650 with 6x147GB U320 drives in a RAID5. Our new server is an HP StorageWorks x1600 with 12 bays of SAS/SATA storage. For budget reasons, I'm planning on filling the 12 bays with Seagate 1TB ES drives and running a 6+0, producing about 8TB of space. IS this a good plan, or should I get 6GB/s drives (the controller can handle these), probably smaller ones around 640GB? Option B is to have two mirrored arrays of 6 drives each in an R6. Our data is small, currently around 600GB, so rebuilds won't take too long for a while.

Thanks

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

The parking is counted in 'Load Cycle Count'.

Huh; must not be tracked by the Samsung drives then, I don't have that at all. Here's smartctl -A for one of them:

code:
$ sudo smartctl -A /dev/sde
smartctl version 5.38 [i686-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-8 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000f   100   100   051    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0007   081   081   011    Pre-fail  Always       -       6660
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       17
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   010    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000f   100   100   051    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  8 Seek_Time_Performance   0x0025   100   100   015    Pre-fail  Offline      -       0
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   098   098   000    Old_age   Always       -       8652
 10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0033   100   100   051    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
 11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       17
 13 Read_Soft_Error_Rate    0x000e   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
183 Unknown_Attribute       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
184 Unknown_Attribute       0x0033   100   100   000    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
187 Reported_Uncorrect      0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
188 Unknown_Attribute       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022   070   058   000    Old_age   Always       -       30 (Lifetime Min/Max 30/32)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   070   062   000    Old_age   Always       -       30 (Lifetime Min/Max 28/34)
195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered  0x001a   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       2469498274
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   100   100   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x003e   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x000a   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
201 Soft_Read_Error_Rate    0x000a   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
A 2.5" sata drive should work in a drobo with the proper adators right?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Are there any SMART monitoring programs/scrpts that will run over HTTP or generate a php page like phpsysinfo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

The_Frag_Man posted:

What method did you use to pass through the disks to open solaris?

Just follow this guide