Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

paint dry posted:

Man just when I was actually, serious this time, beginning to think the wheels had fallen off the Achewoodmobile, Onstad pulls out a classic Beef ex machina.

If you go back and read this thread (and the Achewood threads before it) you'll find this sentiment over and over again. When will the doubters stop doubting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Sprecherscrow posted:

As somebody who once tried the Dark Side of Oz, "Man there is being tiresome and then there are conspiracy theories about stoner records" is maybe the greatest goddamn thing.

Right there with you, chochacho. Luckily I'm old enough where I'm not unwittingly surrounded by stoners anymore.

Happy Hippo posted:

If you go back and read this thread (and the Achewood threads before it) you'll find this sentiment over and over again. When will the doubters stop doubting?

I think being stuck in the thick of it in arcs like this is the reason. Can't see the forest for the trees--it gets desolate.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fillerbunny posted:

I think being stuck in the thick of it in arcs like this is the reason. Can't see the forest for the trees--it gets desolate.

I remember someone said "Achewood was best before you started reading it". Might've been in this thread, might've been an older one. The way it's set up, when you're going through the archive and reading all the old stuff, if you don't like a comic, you can just click next. Arc is long? Whatever, you don't have to wait for the next comic or anything. Then you get current, and the ones you don't like stand out since you don't have that "fast forward" anymore.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I remember someone said "Achewood was best before you started reading it". Might've been in this thread, might've been an older one. The way it's set up, when you're going through the archive and reading all the old stuff, if you don't like a comic, you can just click next. Arc is long? Whatever, you don't have to wait for the next comic or anything. Then you get current, and the ones you don't like stand out since you don't have that "fast forward" anymore.

Yeah, long breaks between strips break the momentum and give you enough time to think about it and go "....this is dragging out, and a bit stupid". If you're reading it all in one go, there's no pacing issues and everything just rolls along.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Just reread through the whole archive again if an arc stalls. You've got hours of comics there.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I am seriously pumped about this development.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I know, right? The one man on earth who can figure his way out of a Nice Pete Situation.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
It's like an extremely limited version of MacGyver.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rodney the Piper posted:

It's like an extremely limited version of MacGyver.

Vagina Products MacGyver?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Unkempt posted:

What's this thread doing down there when there's a new strip?

(the hell is a 'mailbox baseball'?)

Mr. Onstad:

Please be aware that based on your latest installment of "Achewood", I have asked my attorney to initiate action to sue you clear and free on grounds of mental surprise.

Rest assured the claim that the reader should have expected such an awesome turn of events will hardly rise to the level of an affirmative defense.

Winning this case will certainly be a lesser jubilation to me.

Best,
Nonvalueadded User

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Phy posted:

Vagina Products MacGyver?

Bring on the Pennsylvania Love Goose!

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I will be very disappointed if we don't find out exactly what Brisket36 means. I doubt it's just a general 'poo poo's goin' down' thing. No, there's a plan to it, and I want to know what Beef plans for ahead of time.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Just reread through the whole archive again if an arc stalls. You've got hours of comics there.

I already do this; whenever I'm reading something while I eat, most likely with lunch at home, I'm reading one of my eight Achewood book collections. But I've read through them like fifteen times now, which is a little less exciting.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Have Beef and Nice Pete ever really had any extended interaction? I can't think of any, if I remember right the USB powered internet knife featured Ray and Teodor, didn't it?

TO THE ARCHIVES!

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Yeah, long breaks between strips break the momentum and give you enough time to think about it and go "....this is dragging out, and a bit stupid". If you're reading it all in one go, there's no pacing issues and everything just rolls along.

Yeah, a slow update schedule is one thing when its one-offs or short, loose arcs. Getting to where there's a comic every 7-10 days in the middle of a very story-driven plot-heavy arc can be grating.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Radio Paranoia posted:

Your cheeseburger says a lot about you.

But... that's not Teodor's cheeseburger, is it?

Jerusalem posted:

Have Beef and Nice Pete ever really had any extended interaction? I can't think of any, if I remember right the USB powered internet knife featured Ray and Teodor, didn't it?

TO THE ARCHIVES!

Roast Beef showed up after Pete was already unconscious, I believe. More than anything, I really want to see interaction between Nice Pete and Cornelius Bear. For all we know, the two know each other from the past, or Cornelius knew his father or something.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
You know, I'm not sure just anyone could've quite pulled off that panel of Roast Beef practicing hamburger forensics. That's some fine expressive cartooning there.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
I wasn't quite sure what was going on with the hamburger forensics, and just assumed that Beef recognized Ted's cough. Whether or not that cough was old homosexual-related.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Cobweb Heart posted:

But... that's not Teodor's cheeseburger, is it?
It is. That is why there is a Teodor-shaped bite taken out of it. Notice Beef analyzing Teodor's chewing pattern in his mind. The cough confirmed Beef's suspicions.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

McGravin posted:

It is. That is why there is a Teodor-shaped bite taken out of it. Notice Beef analyzing Teodor's chewing pattern in his mind. The cough confirmed Beef's suspicions.

He went at it Sherlock Holmes-style.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

McGravin posted:

I get what Beef did. It's just bothering me - Nathan orders a cheeseburger and takes it into the van at Pete's urging, and then, for some reason, Teodor is now the one that has finally taken a few bites. I just wish Onstad had shown Teodor eating it or being hungry or something.

Adhesion
Sep 10, 2001

Next you gonna mention lifting up a nacho and seein' a big old terrified eye starin' at you

Cobweb Heart posted:

I get what Beef did. It's just bothering me - Nathan orders a cheeseburger and takes it into the van at Pete's urging, and then, for some reason, Teodor is now the one that has finally taken a few bites. I just wish Onstad had shown Teodor eating it or being hungry or something.

Presumably Nice Pete gave him some, since you know he can't leave doing the Deed to Nature.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?
OH the wonderful relief of suddenly feeling that SOMEHOW things are going to be okay!
Maybe not for Lurquilla's chinchillas, because they're all soggy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cobweb Heart posted:

Pete told Beef that he had Teodor with him, Beef looked at the burger to try and determine if it was Teodor who took a bite from the burger, but then heard a cough he recognized as Teodor's, gave Emeril the codeword and hopped into the van to go along with Pete in order to rescue Teodor. That's how I read it.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Pete told Beef that he had Teodor with him, Beef looked at the burger to try and determine if it was Teodor who took a bite from the burger, but then heard a cough he recognized as Teodor's, gave Emeril the codeword and hopped into the van to go along with Pete in order to rescue Teodor. That's how I read it.

I think this interpretation makes the most sense.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?
I think I can only count this adventure as a complete success if the chinchillas get a blow-dry and a dust-bath and a cup of hot cocoa :ohdear:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Chinchilla Lady will end up with Johnny Bigcock, Teodor was trying to break out and get away from the chinchillas, and Beef's buddies are skitchin' the back of Nice Pete's van, trying to pop the back end open. At that point, Beef... uh...

Throws chili powder in Nice Pete's eyes and bails out the window or something. Nice Pete crashes into a school bus and the chinchillas feed like kings.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
The fact you want Nice Pete dead disappoints me, sir.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'm hoping Roast Beef breaks Nice Petes daze by telling him he is going to go to a crummy college if he doesn't clean up his act.

He might fail and have to take a really low blue collar job too!

And they all go back to the house and eat something special Ray cooked up for T losing his butt cherry.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm hoping Roast Beef breaks Nice Petes daze by telling him he is going to go to a crummy college if he doesn't clean up his act.

He might fail and have to take a really low blue collar job too!

That worked really well when Teodor tried it.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

SeanBeansShako posted:

T losing his butt cherry.

I hope you mean a dude totally rocking his can.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

robot roll call posted:

That worked really well when Teodor tried it.

In Nice Petes High School Adventure universe, Teodor is all established and knowing Nice Pete has a rambling long serial killer style back story planned.

Pete didn't plan on including Beef in on this, And Beef who had a seriously sucky High School experince could take him down a notch.

The sad cat beats the psychotic eerie killer cat with his smarts.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
There could be problems if Roast Beef enters Nice Pete's high school world as the guidance counselor. Nobody likes guidance counselors.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Haha, I just noticed Emeril called it "The Far Side of the Moon".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

robot roll call posted:

I saw that and I wondered if Chris was doing this to see how many nerdy e-mails he would get correcting him.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

robot roll call posted:

A tragically overlooked rock comic crossover project between Gary Larson and Pink Floyd.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
In a world where talking cats and teddy bears hang out and own pubs and recording companies, Pink Floyd was clever enough to realize that the moon has no proper dark side, but relative to Earth it does have a far side.

Oh, that that world were this.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

the last time I got into a van with a nude mustache, he ate my cheeseburger

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
As someone who has just recently read Nice Pete's blog in its entirety, I'm happy to see him prominently featured in this arc.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

MizuZero posted:

the last time I got into a van with a nude mustache, he ate my cheeseburger

Amazingly, I didn't read any of that as innuendo. It is the much vaunted non-tendre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.
After hearing all this rot about Chinchillas needing dust baths I felt it necessary to see for myself. Thankfully youtube Chinchilla owners have taken the courtesy of documenting this behavior. I find it incredibly strange and wonderous that despite how essential water is to life, it can be dangerous to these cute furry critters. So until the next new strip is posted, here's a video of a Chinchilla rolling around in a bowl of dust like a spaz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8cWcdIXIZE