Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

French Canadian posted:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/ctd/1870792120.html

This guy has an inventory of buses similar to this one. I am wondering about the effort in maintaining a 6.5L Duramax diesel with automatic transmission. He made it sound like the mileages ranged from 75k and up.

its not a duramax. Its a Detroit Diesel. A bit down on power compared to other diesels of the time, but its a reliable, simple lump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Moruitelda posted:

I'm blown away that you guys didn't have your scam alarms going crazy from that ad. It seriously trips almost every alarm bell I have - the only thing it's missing is a screenshot picture of the ad to make it harder to find in a search like the one I just posted.

I just assumed it was a money pit.

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007

Moruitelda posted:

That's a textbook Craigslist scam.

"High demand rare car for sale for peanuts! Perfect condition! Low miles! Full list of options! Well maintained! License plates not visible in the (professionally appearing) pictures. E-mail random msn e-mail address. Which includes a misspelled name."

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22angelamcdoneld%40msn.com%22&hl=en&pws=0&filter=0

Strange! She appears to be in Winchester, Baton Rouge, Glens Falls, Baltimore, Tulsa, Providence, Meadville, Springfield, Ogden, Holland, Columbia, Vermount, Mansfield, and Northwest Georgia, all with the same car!

I'm blown away that you guys didn't have your scam alarms going crazy from that ad. It seriously trips almost every alarm bell I have - the only thing it's missing is a screenshot picture of the ad to make it harder to find in a search like the one I just posted.
:(

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Mighty Horse posted:

its not a duramax. Its a Detroit Diesel. A bit down on power compared to other diesels of the time, but its a reliable, simple lump.

Just so the dude who was looking at buying missed the answer in the other thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2341562&userid=0&perpage=40&highlight=&pagenumber=343#post380361948

Grimster
May 15, 2004

you suck

trouser chili posted:

Not sure if it's really gold or not, but it makes me feel all tingly. $10,000

If I had room to put this, I'd be on the way to St Louis first thing in the morning and I'd drive this bitch to work once a week like a MANIAC.

I'd be dead within 2 weeks.

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

This car.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230493852432&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

My first car is the same as this one, even the same colour.

I loved that car and still dream about it to this day, I get it without hesitation the only problems being I don't have the cash or anywhere to work on it. :(

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sardikar posted:

This car.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230493852432&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

My first car is the same as this one, even the same colour.

I loved that car and still dream about it to this day, I get it without hesitation the only problems being I don't have the cash or anywhere to work on it. :(
One of my step sisters had the same car, but in a dark brown. She put 16 slotter wheels on it (ones used on old Mustangs and Falcons) and it looked great. I was hoping to take it off her hands when I got my licence, but she got rid of it before I got the licence :(

Rogz
Jul 22, 2009

Mr booby head vagina man.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CORTINA-LOTUS-MK1-1965-UNFINISHED-PROJECT-/200503527112

quote:

lets be clear before we start all the dreamer idiots with no money or have no intention of buying this item go and waste someone elses time i want a £1000 deposit if you use the buy it now or at the end of the auction i as sick of messers i dont do it so i dont expect you to do it i am sorry if this offends the genuine ebayers ! for asle is a MK1 1965 C reg cortina lotus a genuine real deal car i have the V5 in my name with all the correct numbers and codes which i will gladly show any winner or veiwer on the car but do not ask for the details this is not the usual badly restores pile of crap done in a workhop at night by stevie wonder using a mig and bird poo poo welding like most of the scrap i have seen on ebay i bought the car 15 years ago and started to restore it the sell was very good the floor panel has never been welded i have stripped the shell and placed it on a global jig and fitted 2 new ford inner wings and a front panel these are coeerctly spot welded on as per factory so you cant tell ithey are correct with the strengthening rings under the strut tops there is a brand new genuine ford bonnet and 2 new genuine ford wings with headlamp rings read to fit i removed the rear quartes because the shell had had fitted rear arches as per ebay restorer stevie wonder and his pocket mig so i bought 2 new rear quarters genuine ford there are also 2 genuine ford doors in primer and a boot lid the shell reqires no welding other than the fitting of the panels that are included all panes required to finish this car are included and are 100% genuine NEW the panels alone would be worth 5K i have 90% of the car second hand and new there is a mint engine which was rebuilt and done 6,000 miles since then with a perfect head i would advise checking it as its been stood for 15 years there is a prop 2 piece gearbox etc etc all good there are loads and loads of new parts i cant rememberthem all but everythings included there is a set of straich arm new ball joints front brake calipers discs back plates struts a high ratio steering box bushes brackets mater cylinder brake and clutch wiper mortor seat belt drivers inertia a rear bumper loom carburettors clutch pipe servo front side lights complete rear lamps some window /door rubbers tank sender unit bumper iorns gearbox mount propshaft rubbers these were £85 a lorus badge for the center consol 2 alloy headlam rim trims and other items i cant remember ill these items are brand new ford new old stock all the other stuff is second hand like the seats heater etc etc etc its all in boxes there is also a full set of reconditioned guages proper lotus its 90% complete the parts i know are missing is the usual air filter box i have half of it any way badges and exhaust i think everything is there but its been 15 years this will easily make a concourse car with very little effort i dont reall want to sell it but i am selling up and have far to much stuff over 50 cars i DONT CARE IF THIS DOES NOT SELL I WILL JUST KEEP IT so dont be under the impression i wil nug it away and take a vectra or alfa romeo in swop for £5000 more than its worth i think any serious buyers will come and see it or ring me i will answer any sensible emails veiwing welcome and delivery is free to UK i will ship abroard payment must be in full before car leaves me there is probably much more to see and say i could go on for ever so thats it for now !

I'd kill for a Mk1 Lotus Cortina, and this guy makes me want to commit murder. This could well be a match made in heaven.

His fantasy accounting is pretty special as well. Not quite as good as the guy selling a DB6 shell for £30k, but at least he understood how to use paragraphs.

Rogz fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 1, 2010

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
:suicide:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

VideoTapir posted:

Hey a 2G with the handling of a 3rd gen!

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
I see searching for invested still works for this thread

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

RealKyleH posted:

It's awesome to see when the local old-car-buffs-month comes around these parts. Someone with some crap from the 80s (no offense, guys, I'd love a GN, but this is far too common to see in the area):

THIS WEEK ONLY!!! PRICE DROP! 1987 Buick Regal T-Type, Cash or Trade!! - $6500

Choice Excerpt:

Craigslist posted:

This price is good ONLY this week, through Saturday, August 7th! I am also willing to consider trading for an F350, Escalade, quads, a newer boat, or a camper. [...] It has been sitting in the garage for over a year, so it does not turn over, and it will not pass emissions, at present. There is also an oil leak underneath the car, so that will also need to be repaired. The car needs a little TLC [...]

ssh fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 1, 2010

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
An unfinished 1983 caballero project car that is not running for $8500.....DO TELL ME MORE

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

RealKyleH posted:

"Sacrafice" is also a pretty reliable "winner".

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
I have a car. I think it has a new motor. I don't know. Call me. I send pics.

Click here for the full 895x1061 image.

Rogz
Jul 22, 2009

Mr booby head vagina man.
None of that makes any sense.

Man-Eating Cow
Jan 18, 2001

by Fistgrrl

VideoTapir posted:

The wheel wells look like a snake dislocating its jaw to swallow a giant yo-yo.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Poor bastard. Another one of those cases where "rare" and "$$$" invested means squat. I think he'd be lucky to get more than a few K for it.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1947-PONTIAC-SUPERIOR-HEARSE-PROJECT-RARE-MUST-SELL-W0QQAdIdZ219469180

quote:

We're losing our storage and need to sell this rare old car. It began life as a 1947 Pontiac and was converted into a hearse by Superior Coachworks for the 1948 model year. I have owned it since the early 90s when I drove it home from Portland, Oregon with a 77 Cadillac Seville driveline already installed. This car has been registered, plated and insured in Alberta for 17 years. I have invested over $22,000 in it, but the shop that was building it for me went out of business, I lost interest and moved it into covered storage. It's currently sitting in the open at a friend's place and may be viewed by appointment, but must be moved no later than the end of August. I have a car trailer and can deliver for a reasonable fee. This is a very rare car and would make a one-of-a-kind street rod, rat rod, kustom, or advertisement for your business. And don't forget...Halloween is only 3 months away...

THE GOOD: About 95% of the bodywork has been done, and the car is in high solids primer. The seats have been upholstered and never installed (stored indoors). The hearse sits on 1977 Cadillac Seville front & rear suspension, which has been done. I have a 455 Olds motor and a rebuilt Cadillac T400 automatic transmission for the car, along with a brand new radiator, power tilt steering, power brakes, and rechromed grille & hood center strip. Also included but not installed is brand new tempered EverGreen side glass to do all of the windows. The car rides on 1969 Corvette chrome reverse wheels.

WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE: The bottom pieces of the 2 center doors are the only bodywork remaining undone: this is only the bottom lip part, and the 2 pieces are made for it. Buyer needs to put the car back together - chrome pieces, windows, interior. I hate to let it go after investing so much time and money into it, but don't have the time or space needed to complete this project.

THE DEAL: $10,000 or best cash offer. I may consider interesting partial trades; let me know what you have. I can help with loading and transporting the hearse; delivery out of town is negotiable.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

I invested $22k in this car!!!! *lets it sit out in the open*

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Its called "patina"

It increases the value

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

slidebite posted:

Its called "patina"

It increases the value

I think you just made me a millionaire!

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

slidebite posted:

Poor bastard. Another one of those cases where "rare" and "$$$" invested means squat. I think he'd be lucky to get more than a few K for it.

A pile of junk that still needs too much work to finish. Despite what he says, if it's so easy and "not much left to do on it" why not finish it and then sell the completed car. Oh right, it's a money pit and the guy is broke.

He should be able to get a few K but not 10K.

Reminds me of those guys on Pawn Stars. "But I got 15 grand into it...."

:doh:

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

A COUNTACH FOR $23K?? HELL YEAH!!!

'Used 1987 fiero and professional build in 1987countach replica'

Oh wait it's a Fiero.

'Friend of friend mine use to work on Lamborghini dealer but he still don't believe that this is replica. '

Uh....

'Cost of this car in 1987 possible over $50,000 car was maintained int ill now and still look like new.'

UHHHHHH.

'For replica remember my opinion must buy always auto transmission, also remember always original engine don't even think to modification you look for trouble. this car is fast enough , i was on new jersey garden state parkway last week i was doing 100 mph and this car still want to go more fast. Not necessary for v 8.'

Oh god. I bet it's an iron duke at that?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
It read just like an eBay ad for cheap electronics from Hong Kong.

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'll shut you up with my cock, you son of a bitch!

eddiewalker posted:

It read just like an eBay ad for cheap electronics from Hong Kong.

It reads the way that Eastern Europeans with poor English skills tend to speak. :shrug:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I think its a V-6 just because I have trouble thinking that an Iron Duke would actually get that thing to 100+MPH.

Also, N-N-N-NAPA KNOW HOW!!!

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

I work at a Lamborghini dealership and I can't believe this is a replica!

*gets in car, completely ignores automatic shifter*

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Jorsh posted:

I work at a Lamborghini dealership and I can't believe this is a replica!

*gets in car, completely ignores automatic shifter*
*looks at taillights, ignores obvious alignment issues*

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

destructo posted:

*looks at taillights, ignores obvious alignment issues*

Dealerships have janitors too.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Kit cars are always a bit odd. For the effort and cost it takes to make a decent one, you can usually get a used sample of the real thing. But there isn't that many decent ones, just half assed.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
It reads the way that anyone who went to public school in the south tends to write.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
http://saskatoon.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1984-Volkswagen-Rabbit-PICKUP-DIESEL-W0QQAdIdZ221672990

$3999 for a 26 year old VW that's been sitting for a while seems high to me...

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Timmy Cruise posted:

http://saskatoon.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1984-Volkswagen-Rabbit-PICKUP-DIESEL-W0QQAdIdZ221672990

$3999 for a 26 year old VW that's been sitting for a while seems high to me...

That is a very desirable truck for VW diesel heads and he will probably get close to that price for it, depending on how rusty it actually is.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Plus, I've never seen one with a topper, and that is a very cool topper.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
I know they're rare beasts. I just thought $4k seems high (even though it is CAD).

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

rscott posted:

I think its a V-6 just because I have trouble thinking that an Iron Duke would actually get that thing to 100+MPH.

I had a Duke-powered 6000 a few years ago, and I eventually got it to 103. The 6000 weighs a few hundred pounds more than a Fiero, and it had a three speed automatic. I'm sure a Duke Fiero can do 100+.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Timmy Cruise posted:

I know they're rare beasts. I just thought $4k seems high (even though it is CAD).

He'll get it, or close to it.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Left Ventricle posted:

I had a Duke-powered 6000 a few years ago, and I eventually got it to 103. The 6000 weighs a few hundred pounds more than a Fiero, and it had a three speed automatic. I'm sure a Duke Fiero can do 100+.

Yeah but your 6000 didn't have a fuckton of lovely body kit parts thrown on top of it!

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine
I've been looking at Crown Vics online because I need a good reliable/beater type car to get around in and for work. Sometimes you find more than Grandma-mobiles and cop cars though.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/1879423481.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine
I also just found this one, which I am guessing is pretty much the same thing. The price seems too good to be true, it's setting off my danger sense. I'll probably go check this one out in person.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/ctd/1881906494.html