Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snipe

also imagine the bird from Up here because I don't have a screen cap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Footboy posted:

The Stranger's blog points out that the anatomical picture for the Humans article uses a clinical pose for the male and a provocative pose for the female, for seemingly no reason.

:nws: http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2010/08/02/the-woman-of-humans :nws:

tbf that was probably the stock photo company's decision and not wiki's

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
the problem i have is that her pose isn't provocative enough

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

fishmech posted:

There weren't very many elephants roaming the British Isles when people were speaking old and middle english bro.

actually there were a lot of them when hadrian crossed the alps to build his wall

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

JawnV6 posted:

actually there were a lot of them when hadrian crossed the alps to build his wall

He never did that a tiny force of spartans stopped them and won the war

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

qirex posted:

He never did that a tiny force of spartans stopped them and won the war

thank god, f'in commies

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

WikiBooks, "Open books for an open world", where wikipedians try their hand at being authoritative

let's see what they have to say about Evolution of Operating Systems Designs

WikiBooks posted:

WIMP

WIMP (Windows, Icons, Menus and Pointer) was invented for Smalltalk in the late 1970s. Since that time, it has steadily colonized modern operating systems. Unfortunately, nearly all implementations of WIMP are broken variants without the full programmable power of CLIs. Some simple CLI concepts that could be easily added to WIMP include pipes, scripts and graphical location history. If these were incorporated, CLIs could be done away with.[citation needed]

Beyond WIMP

Despite the decrepitude of WIMP, there has been no meaningful advance in mainstream OS' HCI since 1980.[citation needed] That's decades of stagnation punctuated by minor innovations like virtual desktops and context menus. The latest triviality to hit the market is the ever so gradual replacement of icons by object miniatures. Fortunately, despite the total incompetence[citation needed] of mainstream OS designers, research in HCI has managed to sustain a snail's pace.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

RZApublican posted:

WikiBooks, "Open books for an open world", where wikipedians try their hand at being authoritative

I wonder what xerox thinks

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There's some times when "citation needed" isn't really strong enough.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Whereas an actual editor would fire up his shredder and dump reams of this through the cross cutting blades...

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

RZApublican posted:

mere? mere.

quote:

In fact, mere commercial success isn't sufficient to make an operating system noteworthy. It also emphasizes working implementations over mere projects.
table of contents:

quote:

6. Properties of Namespaces
1. Namespaces in Unix and Plan 9
a) Reserfs and the Power of Namespace Unification
2. Namespaces in Languages
3. Namespaces in HURD
4. Namespaces in Grasshopper
5. Other Namespaces
6. Theoretical Namespaces
this is v. important guys. v. important.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

JawnV6 posted:

mere? mere.

table of contents:

I think he's being meta because literally everything on that page is blank

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
No one ever deletes anything on wikipedia even if it's an outline that hasn't been touched in years.
That'd be vandalism. So there it is, a lousy outline for everyone to see.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 4, 2010

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

JawnV6 posted:

mere? mere.

table of contents:

Reiserfs and the Power of Namespace Unification

34KOMivGVSUrJHlvaT
Apr 30, 2002

1A4 EVERYDAY

haveblue posted:

by J.K. Rowling

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

haveblue posted:

more like Reiserfs and the Power of KILLING YOUR WIFE AHAAHAHAHHAA --slashdot

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

haveblue posted:

Someone always dies by the end of those books. :ohdear:

34KOMivGVSUrJHlvaT
Apr 30, 2002

1A4 EVERYDAY

Virion posted:

I hope nobody is having an emergency situation and can't think of a better way to find out the number for emergency services than by looking at "list of American words not widely used in the United Kingdom" :ohdear:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Isn't the UK number there an it crowd joke

34KOMivGVSUrJHlvaT
Apr 30, 2002

1A4 EVERYDAY
yeah it is

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 5, 2023

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Footboy posted:

Let's see what Wikipedians have to say about WIMP.

this guy complains about it being inaccurate while mentioning studies he won't cite and posting about it anonymously

quote:

This article does not seem completely accurate conisdering the studies that have been done showing that GUI environments are actually more complicated for completely new users. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 129.97.99.52 (talk) 02:44, 23 January 2009 (UTC)

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006

Footboy posted:

The Stranger's blog points out that the anatomical picture for the Humans article uses a clinical pose for the male and a provocative pose for the female, for seemingly no reason.

:nws: http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2010/08/02/the-woman-of-humans :nws:

"cleft of venus"

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Level_Assembly

betting that the creator of HLA wrote this wiki

also

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

gently caress YOU Belgian man

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_progression#Japanese_media

every page needs a Japan section. all of them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
no, an "in anime" section

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

haveblue posted:

no, an "in anime" section

thats basically the in popular culture section in most articles

[Article] -
(5 paragraphs or so about a thing)

[Article] in popular culture -
(a 13-page exhaustive listing of absolutely everything in any anime that has anything to do even remotely with the topic)

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

i just stumbled across this and had to post it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:AIDS_denialism
it's the discussion page on the article about folks who think HIV doesn't cause AIDS. the article is sane enough, but the discussion page :psyduck:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

i just stumbled across this and had to post it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:AIDS_denialism
it's the discussion page on the article about folks who think HIV doesn't cause AIDS. the article is sane enough, but the discussion page :psyduck:

ahahaha WikiProject Alternative Views

quote:

I'm back! And why? All because of WikiProject Alternative Views! A good idea! If it was around in Aristarchus' day, there certainly would be more progress toward the idea that the earth goes around the sun, and not vice versa. I find the policy of simply defending whatever the dominant paradigm is to be both intellectually lazy, and a bit too wishy-washy relativist for my personal liking, but then some might say I am overly devoted to the scientific method, rather than guy-on-TV-said-so-ism. Sometimes common sense must come into play, instead of whatever our scientist-priests tell us, don't you think? I could go on and on about how all the reactionary defenders of AIDS orthodoxy here on Wiki would have just as insultingly attacked anyone like Aristarchus, who dared question the scientific consensus of his day, and kept science on the wrong paradigm for 1700 years, but that would be petty. In fact, the sole reason I came to Wiki was to cast legitimate doubt on the intentionally insulting and invalidating term "denialist." The discussions on Wiki are so willfully and proudly ignorant of AIDS dissidents and their work, that some people even drew laughable divisions between "denialists" and deissidents, as if there was any difference. All I wanted is to get rid of this insipid and inaccurate term "denialist" so that some semblance of a respectful discussion might exist. I didn't even change anything in a single article. Posting on the discussion page was enough for people to start saying I was on a soapbox, but my intent was merely to point out that rethinking AIDS is a legitimate scientific position, held by legitimate scientists, on a legitimate scientific basis, not pseudoscience, not sociopolitics, but on a scientific basis. So it is a science-versus-science debate, not science vs. pseudoscience, as the AIDS industry likes to portray it as. Every word of mine was to point out that the term denialist is NOT the right word to use, since it is both innacurate and intentionally invalidating and obfuscating. It's not using Wiki like an "AIDS-denialist blog" to point all this out. In fact, it's an important first step in WikiProject Alternative Views, to cover these views "without bias." Using the term "denialist" is HEAVILY biased. It is also wildly "misrepresenting" rethinkers. Am I correct in assuming nothing has changed here? This new movement is far more PR than anything else? Tell me now so I don't waste anyone's time.

And yes I know there is an entry on the N-word, but it accurately speaks of how it is a pejorative term, which is more than I can say about the word "denialist" bandied about here. And my point was that a 19th century Wiki would have upheld the violent racism of its day with its lazy pre-WikiProject Alternative Views consensus-parroting. As far as me coming here to "get famous"? Are you serious? With a pseudonym? (Haytham is not my real name, by the way). Did any moderators come and post on your page how you are supposed to "stick to the subject?" I somehow doubt this. By using the term "denialist", Wiki is misrepresenting the rethinkers/reappraisers/dissidents - who NEVER use that term to describe themselves - EVER. I think replacing the insulting term "denialist" to something *neutral* would be a step in the right direction, the goal of the project to strive towards more "neutrality." Haytham2 (talk) 10:38, 2 March 2009 (UTC)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
If he thinks HIV doesn't cause AIDS, he should prove it by having sex with someone with HIV.

Of course, even HIV sufferers probably don't want to have sex with him.

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
A dutch oven is a fart chamber (a contained area of flatus) created by pulling a blanket over someone's head and breaking wind. The phrase is a slang description based on the cooking action of a Dutch oven where food is cooked and steamed inside a closed chamber. Performing a Dutch oven creates an area of foul-odored air in an enclosed space that must be breathed in.[1] This is done as a prank or by accident to one's sleeping partner.[2][3]

A related concept is that of the dutch wind, which does not involve creating a closed chamber over the head, but instead concentrating the fragrance under the covers and then allowing the concentrated scent to waft past one’s sleeping partner’s nostrils. The concentration creates an olfactory intensity akin to that which would occur with anal-nasal proximity, with no opportunity for the aroma to be diluted by air.

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

MindSet posted:

A dutch oven is a fart chamber (a contained area of flatus) created by pulling a blanket over someone's head and breaking wind. The phrase is a slang description based on the cooking action of a Dutch oven where food is cooked and steamed inside a closed chamber. Performing a Dutch oven creates an area of foul-odored air in an enclosed space that must be breathed in.[1] This is done as a prank or by accident to one's sleeping partner.[2][3]

A related concept is that of the dutch wind, which does not involve creating a closed chamber over the head, but instead concentrating the fragrance under the covers and then allowing the concentrated scent to waft past one’s sleeping partner’s nostrils. The concentration creates an olfactory intensity akin to that which would occur with anal-nasal proximity, with no opportunity for the aroma to be diluted by air.

cool

34KOMivGVSUrJHlvaT
Apr 30, 2002

1A4 EVERYDAY
I love the parenthetical definition of "fart chamber"

also, on a related note, parenthetical definition will be the first EP from my new band, fart chamber

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

LunixArchduke posted:

also, on a related note, parenthetical definition will be the first EP from my new band, fart chamber

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

clamiam posted:

page titles are case-sensitive, too, and i've run across some pages that differ only in capitalization

of course there was no explanation as to "you might've meant this" for this particular pair of pages :downs:

If you type in all lower case you'll get the disambig page (or a link to it at the top)

If you Type In SomeThing like This they assume you did it knowing what you'd get

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!

LunixArchduke posted:

I love the parenthetical definition of "fart chamber"

Not pictured here: both fart and flatus are linked and both lead to separate articles.

LinuxGirl87
Feb 13, 2006

by Ozmaugh

RZApublican posted:

"Minor innovations" like virtual desktops? How is a virtual desktop an innovation, minor or otherwise? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peeler

quote:

Note: left-handed people usually transpose the hands in the above explanation.

:monocle: