Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
What the consensus on the Lord of the Rings trilogy blus? I know most people are waiting for the extended cuts, but I sort of want to see it in HD really bad. Is it a good transfer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

What the consensus on the Lord of the Rings trilogy blus? I know most people are waiting for the extended cuts, but I sort of want to see it in HD really bad. Is it a good transfer?

Depends who you ask... generally well received but there were grumbles about the picture, particularly about Fellowship.

SpaceTime
Jul 10, 2010

---blade runner--

I've bought it. It seems like a good transfer to my not so Blu-ray savvy eyes. Plus, it's absolutely a great feeling to just have the trilogy on Blu-ray.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It is better looking then the DVDs, but not up to the standards I expected for such a great, epic film. The picture quality could have been better. I am hoping the fan opinions were listened to and the extended edition set improves the picture quality.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Battlestar Galactica: Complete Series boxset is on sale at Amazon. $132.99, that's about $70 off the normal price elsewhere.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036EH3U2?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0036EH3U2

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
I'm curious, has anyone seen Green Zone on DVD? Because I can't imagine that grain holding up well in standard definition. Someone at work was complaining because they'd watched the blu-ray and he thought it was a faulty disc. I had to explain to him that "Green Zone just looks like that, it's actually a flawless transfer".

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ProfessorClumsy posted:

I'm curious, has anyone seen Green Zone on DVD? Because I can't imagine that grain holding up well in standard definition. Someone at work was complaining because they'd watched the blu-ray and he thought it was a faulty disc. I had to explain to him that "Green Zone just looks like that, it's actually a flawless transfer".

Newcomers think that all the time, especially about 300, which is often bought as a starter title and immediately makes initiates wary of the format because the grain translates way more powerfully (re: accurately) than in standard def.

Here are 2 weird releases: the 1975 exploitation film Mandingo and the 1934 Lauren and Hardy film Babes in Toyland are coming to Blu-Ray September 14 courtesy of Legend Films. They can be pre-ordered now for relatively cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Mandingo-Blu-ray-James-Mason/dp/B003XSTS68?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1280504667&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/March-Wooden-Soliders-Blu-ray-Laurel/dp/B003XSTS4K?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1280504841&sr=1-1

The Bridge on the River Kwai is tentatively due for a November release in digibook form, having undergone an extensive 4k restoration from the original negative.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Babes in Toyland will probably be a DVNR issue since Legend Films did not use the original elements like MGM did for their authorized DVD.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Just posted on Amazon.

2001: A Space Odyssey for 8 bucks :http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q66J1M/ref=ord_cart_shr?tag=sdfp-20&ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&prv=slickdeals&cur=slickdeals&ses=

Review here, http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/2001-A-Space-Odyssey-Blu-ray/511/#Review

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It goes without saying that the 2001: A Space Odyssey Blu-ray is an absolute must own and will be one of those movies you show off to everyone who has yet to see the format in all of its glory. It's one of the best blu-rays available. Plus it's the best movies ever made, and will be until the end of time.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

Harlock posted:

If you want to exchange your Gladiator BD:

Just mail Disc #1 (only Disc #1) in an envelope with your name, address, and phone number inside to:

PHE MKT
c/o Deluxe Media Management
PO Box 801464
Valencia, CA
91380-1464

Well I guess this saves me the trouble of talking to them. Thanks for the info.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Image has already set a date of November 16 for The Twilight Zone: Season 2. I'm a bit shocked they're releasing the next season only 2 months after the first one. Still, nice to see they aren't waiting for sales data of season 1 before moving forward.

Full article with extras here: http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Twilight-Zone-Season-2-Blu-ray/14184

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks like digibooks are catching on:

Also, the new Gladiator is already turning up in stores.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 3, 2010

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Just got my new laptop today, and I made sure it had a blu-ray drive.

This friggin laptop has 1080p HD, which my TV doesn't even have (720p).

Kick-rear end also got delivered today, so I'll be watching that on here in a few minutes, once everything is done downloading.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

GonSmithe posted:

Just got my new laptop today, and I made sure it had a blu-ray drive.

This friggin laptop has 1080p HD, which my TV doesn't even have (720p).

Kick-rear end also got delivered today, so I'll be watching that on here in a few minutes, once everything is done downloading.

I did the same thing last Spring. I feel like such a baller watching BluRays in full HD anywhere I am.

That is until my battery dies about 3/4 of the way through a movie :negative:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Don't like the cover, but I want that for the zombie movie, that one was really good.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

doctor thodt posted:

That's hideous. Does the double-bill consist of Grindho and Housegr?

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

ProfessorClumsy posted:

Should this really anything beyond ugly cover art though?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

doctor thodt posted:

Fingers crossed that that is the slipcover and the actual cover is better.

- edit It's a worse version of the Japanese DVD art.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 4, 2010

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

doctor thodt posted:

I like it... :ohdear:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Paul Allen posted:

I like it... :ohdear:

I do too, don't worry. :respek:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

ProfessorClumsy posted:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

doctor thodt posted:

Is this just going to be both films packaged together in a set, or is the actual double-bill? If it's the double-bill, holy gently caress, I've been waiting for this forever.

Edit: Googled it, seems to be the case. gently caress. Yes. I don't mind that cover, but I'd prefer it if it looked like the poster from when the film was released.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 4, 2010

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

So this is somewhat Bluray related...

I was just reading that there are nearly 60 3D movies planned to be released in the next two years. I find this to be really sad. There is a joke going around online that says "if you can't make it good, make it 3D", I completely agree with this statement. It seems like the whole 3D fad is getting out of control, and every time you turn around there is another crap movie going 3D just to try and make some more money.

I would not buy into the whole 3D TV and Bluray player until they are much more affordable and can handle both 2D and 3D content with the same great quality. The players are not that bad as far as pricing goes but I'm not going to drop another 1000-1500 just for a tv so that I can maybe watch one thing in 3D a month.

As far as I know the 3D blus are not that much more expensive then regular blurays, if at all. However, would you really want to have 60+ 3D titles. I know for a fact that with some movies the 3D effect makes them much worse, looking at you clash of the titans.

Has anyone in here bought into the home 3D theater yet?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Go buy A Prophet on Blu-Ray. Now.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

doctor thodt posted:

but it's expensiiiiiive

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

doctor thodt posted:

Jesus I never heard of it before but I looked at the the DVDBeaver review and that's total eyesex. Wishlist for sure. Hoping for a drop.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The movie looks great and is great.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

doctor thodt posted:

But there's no nudity in it.

The Flying Milton posted:

DVDBeaver review

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Tony Danza Claus posted:

But there's no nudity in it.

There is actually. But not on the review.

However...Vengeance is Mine (including menu shots with boobs!) and Taking Woodstock(old release, new review).

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Winter's Bone 10/26
Tremors 11/9

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

A Prophet rules. It's like The Godfather but with more Nas.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

penismightier posted:

A Prophet rules. It's like The Godfather but with more Nas.

Not sure why people really compare to the Godfather especially since the protagonist in The Prophet pretty much doesn't have a choice when it comes to avoiding the criminal world.

Great movie, fantastic Blu Ray transfer movie too.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The scope of the story, the arc, and the ending.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Black Orpheus reviewed
Escape From New York reviewed x2
Psycho reviewed. Lo and behold, Universal seems to have done a good job.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

Psycho reviewed. Lo and behold, Universal seems to have done a good job.

Now they just need to release Vertigo, Rear Window, The Birds, Shadow of a Doubt, Rope and Torn Curtain, and I can replace my bulky "Masterpiece Collection".

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm anxious for The Man Who Knew Too Much, if just because the current disc is so unbelievably lovely.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Humanoids From the Deep reviewed. I don't know why I've never seen this, but based on those screenshots, it's clear I have to rectify this situation immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

doctor thodt posted:

Humanoids From the Deep reviewed. I don't know why I've never seen this, but based on those screenshots, it's clear I have to rectify this situation immediately.

I was just thinking this exact samething. I am going to buy that blu-ray.

• Locked thread