Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

FelicityGS posted:

I'm a fan of the Selbu Modern pattern. It looks so pretty!

Same here. Make the second one! :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
You know what I love? That feeling when you see a new knitting pattern and you go "gently caress I HAVE TO MAKE THAT".

It happens like eight times every time a new Twist Collective comes out.

I like:

http://twistcollective.com/2010/fall/magazinepage_010.php

Oh my god and this:

http://twistcollective.com/2010/fall/magazinepage_012.php

And this!:

http://twistcollective.com/2010/fall/magazinepage_019.php

Man. I need to get a second job or something. Except that would mean even LESS time for knitting...:argh:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I always forget when Twist Collective comes out. I don't know if I should be thanking you or cursing because now there's at least two more cardigans and a pretty shawl and a hat that I want to knit. I wonder if I could spin the remainder of my Shetland into yarn for one of those....

Spiteful
Apr 26, 2009
I... I... I need to finish like 3 seperate projects but but but pretty :fap:
:sigh: My in-progress degree hates you
In other news i'm almost finished this: http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/kitty_hood_scarf_with_pockets

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Twist collective is insane; usually I hate the idea of paying for individual patterns (I spend a lot of time going "I bet I can reverse engineer that my own self and never actually doing it but I'm weird) and yet I would not hesitate to give them all my money for those sweater patterns.

It's amazing how much higher the quality of the designs are than some of the more established print magazines. I balk at paying $7 for an issue of Interweave and that's one magazine with 15 patterns in it or whatever, these things cost $8 each and they're totally worth it.

gently caress I love Twist Collective.

I really can't knit any sweaters for myself right now though, I'm still losing weight (er, trying to lose weight) and I honestly have zero cash. It will have to wait till next year. *sob*

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Spiteful posted:

In other news i'm almost finished this: http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/kitty_hood_scarf_with_pockets

That is downright adorable and looks cozy to boot.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Finished my Ishbel!

I blocked this sucker three times in the past 2 days...the first time the cast off was WAAAAAAY too tight and I had to redo it which made me very unhappy. Second time I tried blocking in on my mats but they weren't big enough, and third time I used my mattress and I got it more or less the shape I wanted it. I'm finding the more I like the look of a lace pattern, the less I enjoy knitting it. Ishbel's charts were very repetitive and kinda boring yet they were different enough (5 different charts!) that I couldn't turn my brain off. But I really love the look of the finished product!

Right now I'm trying to churn out some smaller projects - a bunch of little toy monsters, a second sock, a third glove (lost one, had enough yarn to make a replacement), and my dad's birthday scarf, but I'm already anticipating some of the larger projects I have queued up for the cooler season.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Looks good! But man, what a list of projects.

How much time do you guys spend knitting on an average day? And when do you find the time? Do you do it just on weekends? During your commute?

I have basically no free time, but I'm knitting a silk laceweight scarf (18 square feet). It's just a four-row repeat and I feel like I've been doing it my entire life. I can do it for hours and make no visible difference, and I basically just want to stab myself with the tiny toothpick needles. So if you can actually get things accomplished, I'm curious about how long it takes you!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

How much time do you guys spend knitting on an average day? And when do you find the time? Do you do it just on weekends? During your commute?

I have basically no free time, but I'm knitting a silk laceweight scarf (18 square feet). It's just a four-row repeat and I feel like I've been doing it my entire life. I can do it for hours and make no visible difference, and I basically just want to stab myself with the tiny toothpick needles. So if you can actually get things accomplished, I'm curious about how long it takes you!

For me it depends on what I'm doing and how much I love the project. With full time work + school, I can get a pair of socks in 2-3 weeks if I'm really enthused. Shawls and scarves depend on loving the pattern--anywhere from nearly a year for an Estonian one with tons of nupps and lots of samey to 3 for a bigger shawl with more complexity and lots of charts.

It also depends on if I want to do anything else. I am content to come home from work, make/eat dinner, and then set on some background noise and do the same leisure task for the rest of the evening before bed--be it knitting, spinning, playing a game, or what have you. After the spinning challenge of the Tour, I'm still in a spinning mood, and haven't really been knitting except Saturdays with my knitting group.

Drei That is beautiful, and I love that yarn choice.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Some people say that I'm a little neurotic the way I organize my knitting projects/time but I find it works so that I get through projects relatively quickly without getting burnt out on any one of them. Basically, I have it so if I have free time/hands in any situation, I'm knitting.

One project goes in my purse, usually a sock, which gets done when I'm in a bus/car. Since I moved to within biking distance to my school/work, my sock progression has become minimal.

Another one goes in my backpack, usually something bigger, and not much more complicated than a plain garment or a simple lace pattern. I knit these ones in class, and since this summer I'm taking two classes which meet twice a week for 3 hours, I've made a lot of progress during these.

One for the coffee table for casual TV knitting.

One for my desk for things that require more focus.

I also go to my store's SnB once a week and that gets me another 3 hours of knitting. If I'm hosting the SnB rather than coming on my own time I pick something easy so I can respond to customers without messing up.

Maybe it's a tad obsessive, but having something to do every moment of the day makes me happy!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
See, the worst I get is I have a computer project (sewing for craft fairs) and a on the go project (knitting for craft fairs).

Actually I've been doing a LOT of craft fair work lately. And then I have to make my brother's birthday gift. And then Christmas gifts.

I'll never make anything for myself ever again. :smith:

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Anne Whateley posted:

I've wondered about this, as I have a 20 minute bus journey to work, but I don't want my project to get filthy. The yarn I'm using at the moment is drawn from the outside of the ball, so I just know it would jump out of my bag. And my bag gets pretty grubby on the inside (shoooooes) so I'd have to have a bag for my knitting, which would mean I was taking 3 bags to work (I put my handbag inside my backpack so I don't have to transfer stuff between bags constantly).

I taught a friend to knit on the Eurostar though, and managed to get my bamboos through security in April on a flight to Seattle. Tried knitting on a roadtrip and felt a bit queasy.

I keep my knitting by the sofa and knit while watching the news or films.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

madlilnerd posted:

I've wondered about this, as I have a 20 minute bus journey to work, but I don't want my project to get filthy. The yarn I'm using at the moment is drawn from the outside of the ball, so I just know it would jump out of my bag. And my bag gets pretty grubby on the inside (shoooooes) so I'd have to have a bag for my knitting, which would mean I was taking 3 bags to work (I put my handbag inside my backpack so I don't have to transfer stuff between bags constantly).

I taught a friend to knit on the Eurostar though, and managed to get my bamboos through security in April on a flight to Seattle. Tried knitting on a roadtrip and felt a bit queasy.

I keep my knitting by the sofa and knit while watching the news or films.

Could you put the yarn ball in a ziplock bag and just close it 95% with the tail sticking out of the open bit? I mean, you could buy a little bag just for knitting that has a hole at the top to fish the yarn tail through but I hate spending money on stuff like that when a ziplock bag might as well be free and I don't even have to go to the store for it.

Zombie Pirate
Jan 3, 2009

Kitty, you wouldn't happen to have any super powers, would you?
How do you guys get away with knitting on the bus (or in class)? Every time I try, I get the evil eye until I put my needles away (I've been using 5mm dpns, so it's not like I'm brandishing a giant pointy thing). I'm thinking circulars might help this, but I'm not sure. I can understand people not wanting me to knit in class, even though I never knit things in class that I really need to pay attention to (because I should be paying attention to the lecture).
Along those lines: any recommendations for fairly inexpensive circulars? I don't get enough time to knit to justify spending huge money.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

madlilnerd posted:

This is exactly why I never knit in potentially dirty places any more. Even with a bag you think is safe, it never is. Last month the weather was really nice so I went to a local nature preserve with a giant boardwalk over a lake to knit on my latest project while looking out over the lake. Though I had tied my bag so that only a small strand could come out, that still didn't stop my expensive, handspun imported Shetland ball of wool from popping out of my bag, onto the boardwalk, and rolling into the lake. The worst part? The boardwalk was high enough that I couldn't reach far enough to fish the ball out of the water, and had to pull it out by yanking on the strand, unraveling the ball in the water and getting the entire skein wet.

Since then, I never knit anywhere near something I don't want my yarn touching.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Robin Sparkles posted:

Lately my hand has been kind of shooting with pins and needles when I stop knitting after I'd been going for a while. Also I nearly stabbed myself in the eye a few days ago.

SO! This made me curious; ever been injured while knitting?

I seem to be having some sort of recurring pain in my middle finger, I think because I broke it a couple of years ago and just ignored it until is (shockingly) healed wrong. So now it hurts off and on after I knit for extended periods of time. I jokingly mentioned my knitting injury in a yarn shop a few weeks ago and the woman behind the counter scolded me for joking and told me all about her ruptured tendon from knitting and the surgery she had to repair it.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Zombie Pirate posted:

How do you guys get away with knitting on the bus (or in class)? Every time I try, I get the evil eye until I put my needles away (I've been using 5mm dpns, so it's not like I'm brandishing a giant pointy thing). I'm thinking circulars might help this, but I'm not sure. I can understand people not wanting me to knit in class, even though I never knit things in class that I really need to pay attention to (because I should be paying attention to the lecture).
Along those lines: any recommendations for fairly inexpensive circulars? I don't get enough time to knit to justify spending huge money.

I'm at a private university. I make sure to take notes and participate with the questions (if there are any); basically show them I'm paying attention. If I ever had a professor tell me to stop, I'd tell them I was paying a good chunk of money to sit in this class, and if I feel like keeping my hands busy I will. I won't knit during, say, the days my C.S. courses go over handson coding or fiddling with the electronics and wiring.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Could you put the yarn ball in a ziplock bag and just close it 95% with the tail sticking out of the open bit? I mean, you could buy a little bag just for knitting that has a hole at the top to fish the yarn tail through but I hate spending money on stuff like that when a ziplock bag might as well be free and I don't even have to go to the store for it.

That's what I do for projects that I take with me, it works really well! I also keep everything that's not finished that's lying around the house in ziplock bags, otherwise everything gets tangled.

Zombie Pirate, I got my circulars off ebay, just the cheap Chinese bamboo ones, and three years later they're still going strong, apart from one of the 00 sized ones. I've also got some Knitpicks Harmony ones which I find a lot nicer to work with, but if you need something cheap then those bamboo ones aren't bad at all.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Zombie Pirate posted:

First, you might want to only use wood/bamboo needles in class. If you're using metals the teacher might hear the CLICK CLICK CLICK that you can't hear anymore.

Also keep to the back, and keep your knitting on your lap. It helps if you're knitting something you don't need to look at.

Being friends with the teacher helps too. I was in college and a student snitched on me (I STILL don't get that) and the teacher said "It's Knitter. She can knit and learn at the same time. Don't worry."

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

madlilnerd posted:

Namaste makes really nice bags of different sizes with lots of compartments for all your belongings, knitting included. I like them because they have magnetic closures instead of zippers, so yarn won't snag. If you didn't want to get a whole new bag for all your stuff, you could also look into project bags with drawstrings (Blue Sky makes some that are appropriately called Pretty Cheep Bags), or the cheapo alternative, as mentioned before, a ziploc with a hole poked through.

Zombie Pirate posted:

Are you getting the stink eye from passengers on the bus, classmates, profs, or all three? If it were me personally, and it wasn't like the prof was telling me outright to put it away, I'd just ignore them and knit on. Who cares what random strangers think of your pastime, so long as it isn't actually disrupting them? I do usually use circulars though, so there is less of a chance of accidental pokes.

machinegirl
Apr 16, 2002

*sigh*

Genpei Turtle posted:

Knitting in dirty places

This is why I love my drawstring bags from Ravelry. The yarn comes out the top with the string of the bag around my right wrist. If I'm waiting for my ride to work, the project bag goes in my purse to the right of where I'm sitting.

I'm currently working on a Clapotis in SWTC's Bamboo during lunch at work. Two days in, and so far, not a single person has commented on my knitting. Strange. I'm used to someone at work at least asking me about it as soon as the knitting comes out.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
Huh, I've never had anyone glare at me on the bus, but then I also don't knit there too often, because the ride to school makes me a bit sick if i'm knitting.

However, when I knit on the sea bus there is always, without fail, some adorable little kid staring at me with wonder and curiosity for the entire fifteen minute ride.

I too love the drawstring bags! I actually made one intending to put it in my shop but loved it so much I kept it. (Then made a bunch more for the shop...)

They just hold everything so well, and I love how you can just pull the yarn out with the ball making a big tangly mess.

I've been trying to think of an innovative new project bag design for my etsy shop, but so far I've not really got anything.

Zombie Pirate
Jan 3, 2009

Kitty, you wouldn't happen to have any super powers, would you?

Drei posted:

Are you getting the stink eye from passengers on the bus, classmates, profs, or all three? If it were me personally, and it wasn't like the prof was telling me outright to put it away, I'd just ignore them and knit on. Who cares what random strangers think of your pastime, so long as it isn't actually disrupting them? I do usually use circulars though, so there is less of a chance of accidental pokes.

Strangers and classmates. Most of my profs haven't seemed to care. There was one, but she was a cow anyways. I think part of it is that I've mostly been using dpns. Going to have to see what reaction circulars get.
I kind of understand on the bus- there's some strange chick with pointy things. (And I prefer people glaring at me to the people who try to talk me into knitting them something, as if I could produce a scarf for them right there, and I'm the knit-goods-fairy with an unlimited supply of money, time and yarn.) I just don't understand why classmates glare. I'm not doing anything loud and disruptive. I'm less distracting than the kids on Facebook and stuff on their laptops. :sigh: Screw them. I do what I want.

Spiteful
Apr 26, 2009
I was scared to knit in class but I think your brave words have spurred me on!
I think i'll only be able to do it in my tutorials though because I take notes like mad during my lectures.... unless i'm drawing cuttlefish...

So how do you manage to transport your knitting on DPNS to lectures because the thought of losing stitches scares me senseless. Even transporting projects on straight needles keeps me wary

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Spiteful posted:

So how do you manage to transport your knitting on DPNS to lectures because the thought of losing stitches scares me senseless. Even transporting projects on straight needles keeps me wary

You can buy a little tube that's open along one edge and you sort of fold the needles so they're flat and clamp it on. It's pretty neat. :)

I suppose you could make one with some tubing too if you want to go that route.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I do what Bob does. I got some with my little carry bag for small projects.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Ok, not to derail the conversation about knitting in public, but this...

http://www.regretsy.com/2010/08/05/m-knit-shyamalan/

this is NOT OK. It is upsetting and I am upset!

Especially love the KKK hood on the bottom left there.

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008

What in the ever-loving gently caress.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I don't get why you're upset. It's just a ski mask? :confused: And that's not a KKK hood, that is a sleeping cap. Ebenezer Scrooge wore one:

In fact, I see a bowler hat and a naval hat sailors wear. And I guess the grey one is a messed up pompom thing.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Wedemeyer posted:

In fact, I see a bowler hat and a naval hat sailors wear. And I guess the grey one is a messed up pompom thing.

I see them too, but it doesn't make it any less creepy.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Sleeping caps don't generally have eye holes and look like KKK hoods, even if it does look like some quaint-folksy-nightmare version of one.

Rydalia
Aug 17, 2004
I didn't call in sick!

Why are they holding a pie? Who thought this was a good idea?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

FelicityGS posted:

I see them too, but it doesn't make it any less creepy.

That reminds me of a pattern I knit last winter:

http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall07/PATTjh.html

Maybe it's a little creepy, but it's warm, and awesome for skiing. And the reaction you can get from people when you pull your hat down over your face is pretty cool.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
/\/\/\ I do like that pattern! Reminds me of Jack Skellington.

When I was a kid my brothers used to wear those ski masks. I agree they're very warm and functional, although I always thought it made them look like bank robbers or kidnappers.

Now I'm all old and have been around the internet enough that they instantly make me think "Gimp mask" which is just unpleasant. Especially knowing there's a whole group of "wool fetishists".

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Genpei Turtle posted:

That reminds me of a pattern I knit last winter:

http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall07/PATTjh.html

Maybe it's a little creepy, but it's warm, and awesome for skiing. And the reaction you can get from people when you pull your hat down over your face is pretty cool.

I've always liked that pattern. Thanks for reminding me of it; I need a good face mask for winter biking this year. :)

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Looking over the newest knitty I found something interesting. Although I think this a really dumb idea/sweater I love the color work in it.

Look at that! So pretty! Makes me want to make a scarf or something else using a similar idea.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
What kind of yarn is that colorful stuff? It's beautiful and I want a hat made out of it.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Look Under The Rock posted:

What kind of yarn is that colorful stuff? It's beautiful and I want a hat made out of it.

It's handspun, I'm afraid. They do list the exact fiber and colorway though, so if you spin you could make some! Or you could commission another spinner to probably, if you were really determined! :)

The Wool Shed, 100% wensleydale top, color: rainbow.

It is lovely, especially with that dark gray.

Put it in Your Mouf
Jan 8, 2009
So I am finally ready to start a pair of socks, and I need needles. Two questions:

-I can't decide if I want to work with double pointed needles or circulars. I'm a knitting amateur, and I'm worried about creating holes between the needles with DPNs. Are circulars generally considered the easier option? If so, what length circulars should I pick up? edit: I'm leaning toward the magic loop circular method, since there's only two needle tips to keep track of instead of four.

-I'm going to order yarn from KnitPicks, and I think I would like to order a set of their needles too. I love bamboo needles-are their Harmony needles comparable in smoothness? I don't want anything too smooth.

Thanks guys!

Put it in Your Mouf fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
In my experience harmonies are smoother than your average bamboo needle since the wood has some type of lacquer on it.

Also, I've been knitting for about 8 months or so and I still find magic loop impossibly hard to not leave huge gaps on. I leave bigger gaps using it than I do DPNs (and I have a harder time keeping track of where my stitches should be).

But that's just me, anyway. I like my DPNs just fine.