Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Okay, so I was able to go to the open add period, and get myself nine more interviews. Now I'm at thirty. Including Skadden in Tokyo, because I figure, "what the hey, it's not like I'm burning a bid."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

apparently one of my (asian) friends got told by a latino partner not to worry about something, all the latinos took care of one another

she's not pleased

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Was she from the Phillipines or was she East Asian?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I dunno, but I just figured it was only the old white partners who figured any minority was probably mexican

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

evilweasel posted:

apparently one of my (asian) friends got told by a latino partner not to worry about something, all the latinos took care of one another

she's not pleased

If taking care of one another means giving her a job, she should be ecstatic. And probably learn Spanish.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

billion dollar bitch posted:

Okay, so I was able to go to the open add period, and get myself nine more interviews. Now I'm at thirty. Including Skadden in Tokyo, because I figure, "what the hey, it's not like I'm burning a bid."

out of curiosity, didn't career services tell you not to do that? Not suggesting people actually listen to career services, but when I was a student I know it was considered bad form to just spam the whole OCI list. Then again, I had a similar number of interviews as you so I guess I can't really complain.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lykourgos posted:

out of curiosity, didn't career services tell you not to do that? Not suggesting people actually listen to career services, but when I was a student I know it was considered bad form to just spam the whole OCI list. Then again, I had a similar number of interviews as you so I guess I can't really complain.

Every man for himself, at this point. You pick up any interview you might be interested in even a little bit and play the odds.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
The system was originally set up in such a way as that wouldn't be a good idea, but now that bidding is over and you can get interviews that you don't think you're optimal for, there's nothing stopping you from saying, "Denver's a nice place to live, and who knows - they might give me a job."

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

But Denver sucks, everyone knows this.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.
There's a second round of interview awards on monday, so I guess I shouldn't light myself on fire just yet, but I don't have my hopes up.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

evilweasel posted:

she's not pleased

I, on the other hand, am ecstatic. Yeah time to be the great off-white hope.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

William Munny posted:

Awards out for UT as well. 49 bids, 3 interviews, 1 alternate. All three interviews are lottery selects.

I'm hosed.
Your resume really needs to have "URM" in big bold font at the top.
Also the fact that the black law students association calls itself something besides "The Black (Or AF-AM) Law Students Association" is just stupid.

nm fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 4, 2010

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

The system was originally set up in such a way as that wouldn't be a good idea, but now that bidding is over and you can get interviews that you don't think you're optimal for, there's nothing stopping you from saying, "Denver's a nice place to live, and who knows - they might give me a job."

Oh yeah, I don't doubt people can make good excuses, I was just wondering if other schools had the same instructions about not taking on too many OCI slots. I can understand that notion being out of fashion right now, though.

Anyway, did anyone sign up for some sort of special OCI called the National Public Law School Consortium? I think that's what it's called; they have OCI in major cities, and invite 14 or so public schools to attend. They had a good selection of OCI picks, and as a fresh 1L I remember seeing a tonne of names on the NYC list and thinking, "yep gonna hit a good number of these, deary me how am I going to fit in all of these interviews." I literally got 0 interviews, despite, at that point, actually having an impressive GPA; did anyone get a similar response? The response was brutal; at that point I literally could not compute how I didn't have ten billion job offers. It was before the actual school OCI, so I went in to that thinking I was doomed.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lykourgos posted:

Oh yeah, I don't doubt people can make good excuses, I was just wondering if other schools had the same instructions about not taking on too many OCI slots. I can understand that notion being out of fashion right now, though.

At Columbia, you get 35 initial bids. The point he's at is after all bids are in and interviews given based on those bids, and anyone can sign up interview slots that wern't filled by initial bidding. He's not blocking anyone from getting interviews that they'd actually wanted (or they would have bid on them, and if there's an open slot if they bid on them they'd have gotten it). It's a fight over the scraps.

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

nm posted:

Your resume really needs to have "URM" in big bold font at the top.
Also the fact that the black law students association calls itself something besides "The Black (Or AF-AM) Law Students Association" is just stupid.

It's the bloody Thurgood Marshall something or other, how much more obvious could it...oh wait, yeah, go with this.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I know one person who suspects that she got a lot out of her resume making it seem like she was a lesbian. So if you need that liitle boost, join all the gay clubs, it's not actually lying (it will probably be noticed if your resume makes you look black and you're not but they're not really allowed to ask "hey, you're gay right?").

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
We got thirty, but yeah. The scraps would be like... places in Asia, fly-by-night firms, apparently a lot of DC offerings (that I had already signed up for).

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

evilweasel posted:

At Columbia, you get 35 initial bids. The point he's at is after all bids are in and interviews given based on those bids, and anyone can sign up interview slots that wern't filled by initial bidding. He's not blocking anyone from getting interviews that they'd actually wanted (or they would have bid on them, and if there's an open slot if they bid on them they'd have gotten it). It's a fight over the scraps.

ohh, I see; I don't think mickey mouse scuba school even had a system like that. We just had a big master list for OCI, and you went through onestart to bid. You either got it or you didn't, game over. Desirable students could easily spam almost the entire list (I don't know what our maximum bids level was, maybe 50 or 60), thereby leaving the rest destitute. Still, OCI was staggered, too, over a course of months, and new firms/offices were always being added.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lykourgos posted:

ohh, I see; I don't think mickey mouse scuba school even had a system like that. We just had a big master list for OCI, and you went through onestart to bid. You either got it or you didn't, game over. Desirable students could easily spam almost the entire list (I don't know what our maximum bids level was, maybe 50 or 60), thereby leaving the rest destitute. Still, OCI was staggered, too, over a course of months, and new firms/offices were always being added.

Columbia doesn't let firms pre-screen interviews: interview slots are awarded based on bid only (there's occasional rumors of rejection letters being sent out with postmarks from before the interview though).

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Actually I am kind of irritated about the no-bid section of EIP, because it means that suddenly all these people who had previously had no interest in DC firms or law are suddenly clogging the slots. Were it simply done based on bids, people would have triaged themselves better, and I would probably stand a better chance.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.
I get 16 bids.

How exactly should I kill myself?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

JudicialRestraints posted:

I get 16 bids.

Flay yourself alive

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
auto-immolation.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

I get 16 bids.

15 at my school.

I'm going to the gym all August and doing nothing but bro curls on the theory that arm vascularity is the single biggest factor in federal clerkship acceptance.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

J Miracle posted:

15 at my school.

I'm going to the gym all August and doing nothing but bro curls on the theory that arm vascularity is the single biggest factor in federal clerkship acceptance.

I go to a "t1"

On the plus side I'm up to 5 preselected interviews in DC

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
so how possible is biglaw without being on a journal?

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

fougera posted:

so how possible is biglaw without being on a journal?

If you have good grades or moot court then it should be fine.

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

If you have good grades or moot court then it should be fine.

In normal years.

Zealous Abattoir
Nov 27, 2005
I am thinking about applying to law school. I have a good GPA (3.89), and will be taking the LSAT soon, and I am Hispanic (which I've heard helps, but I dont know how much of this is exaggeration in your part). I've been lurking around these threads for years now, but I genuinely always wanted to be a lawyer so I think I'll take the plunge. I am interested in immigration, tort law and civil rights in general, but I am so not attracted to Big Law. Still, after reading this all, I feel really shaky about my prospects.

Though, I guess I have the advantage that my both of my parents have a law office together...and an empty desk should I choose to join them some day, which really would be my last choice in the world.

Zealous Abattoir fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 5, 2010

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Take the LSAT and report back. Also what brand of hispanic are you?

Zealous Abattoir
Nov 27, 2005
Puerto Rican

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I'm going to have to sit down and type out the massive saga of the Worst Extern Ever at some point, and it will be a long, long, long post, but suffice to say that it may be a sign that you aren't reviewing your own work carefully when you hand a judge a set of jury instructions for Official Misconduct as a misdemeanor that include provisions for the death penalty.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Zealous Abattoir posted:

Puerto Rican

This is a valuable brand name. Score above a 165 and you're into a good school.

Abugadu posted:

I'm going to have to sit down and type out the massive saga of the Worst Extern Ever at some point, and it will be a long, long, long post, but suffice to say that it may be a sign that you aren't reviewing your own work carefully when you hand a judge a set of jury instructions for Official Misconduct as a misdemeanor that include provisions for the death penalty.

Defense or prosecution? Either way - sounds good to me.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Defense or prosecution? Either way - sounds good to me.

Being a substitute clerk for the judge.

The judge asked him where he got it from, and he said from the JI's of the previous law clerk (which he did not). The judge called him on it, then reamed him.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Abugadu posted:

Being a substitute clerk for the judge.

The judge asked him where he got it from, and he said from the JI's of the previous law clerk (which he did not). The judge called him on it, then reamed him.

If you give me a job I will come to guam.
I am competent.

also for the rest of the thread, the future:
http://www.observer.com/2010/culture/ward-cleaver-makes-playdate?page=0

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

If you give me a job I will come to guam.
I am competent.

also for the rest of the thread, the future:
http://www.observer.com/2010/culture/ward-cleaver-makes-playdate?page=0

Is it any surprise that in a society that defines people by their profession the unemployed would have an identity crisis? In America our unemployed = lazy bums mindset doesn't really fly well in the face of nearly 10% unemployment.

Sometimes I fantasize about quitting my job but then I remember what it was like to be unemployed and think "gently caress, never again."

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

GamingHyena posted:

Is it any surprise that in a society that defines people by their profession the unemployed would have an identity crisis? In America our unemployed = lazy bums mindset doesn't really fly well in the face of nearly 10% unemployment.
U6 is at about 17%, and when you consider the current demographics of boomers holding onto jobs until they die at their desks, it's probably 20-25% among the peers that constitute our social circles (assuming most folks in this thread are in their twenties or early thirties)

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Hey, here's a fun hypo for all you crim pro geeks like me, based on an actual situation:

You, Erstwhile Police Officer, are searching Defendant's home. Because Defendant is present, you have him in handcuffs and have no intention of letting him leave.

Do you:

A) Strike up a conversation about illegal activities or
B) Read him his Miranda rights, THEN strike up the same conversation

I know what I'd do. And I know what our local PD did. And they don't match.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Alaemon posted:

Hey, here's a fun hypo for all you crim pro geeks like me, based on an actual situation:

You, Erstwhile Police Officer, are searching Defendant's home. Because Defendant is present, you have him in handcuffs and have no intention of letting him leave.

Do you:

A) Strike up a conversation about illegal activities or
B) Read him his Miranda rights, THEN strike up the same conversation

I know what I'd do. And I know what our local PD did. And they don't match.

You arrested a Defendant in his home without an arrest warrant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Well, *I* didn't. And neither did the locals, actually -- he wasn't arrested until months later. He was merely handcuffed during the execution of the search warrant and not free to leave ("for officer safety").