Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Soul Glo posted:

Eh, that's a little more expensive than I was hoping for. And the mouse itself looks a little unwieldy. There any reason why I shouldn't just buy the $40 Logitech at Wal-Mart?

Because it will suck. Your hand will adjust to the Performance MX. Its totally worth the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Dr Tran posted:

Because it will suck. Your hand will adjust to the Performance MX. Its totally worth the money.

:lol: Guess I'll be using the touchpad until next payday then. I guess I can drop the paper if the mouse will actually last. I've owned one wireless mouse before and it was a mini which turned my hand into a pain-ridden claw.

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug
I just picked up a RAT 7 as well and maybe I'm just being crazy but it seems like theres a bit of mouse lag I'm getting that I never noticed with my Naga. I've uninstalled all my other mouse drivers and turned off the necessary settings in the control panel but I still am getting a slight lag to the movement. Anything else I should try?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

AutoArgus posted:

Are you talking about the screw that sits just below the thumb wheel when viewed from above? I'm able to change the angle of the thumb buttons with that, but that wheel has sofar remained immobile otherwise. Some hidden screw I'm missing?

No, the button plate is what I meant.

Smash1234
Apr 29, 2009
If anyone is interested, sellout.woot is having a sale on the razer mamba.

It's 70 bucks, though i'm not sure if the mamba is on par with these new fangled gizmotrons or what not.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Smash1234 posted:

If anyone is interested, sellout.woot is having a sale on the razer mamba.

It's 70 bucks, though i'm not sure if the mamba is on par with these new fangled gizmotrons or what not.

Wow, for 70 bucks that's a steal. I think I paid like 120 for mine and I think it was worth every penny. For anyone looking for an amazing wireless mouse, I'd definitely think about hopping on that deal.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Is there anywhere somebody can go and actually play around with a Cyborg RAT 7 before buying it? Do any major stores carry them in stock? I'd love to try one out, but I really don't feel like messing with the shipping to return it if I don't like it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Internet Explorer posted:

Wow, for 70 bucks that's a steal. I think I paid like 120 for mine and I think it was worth every penny. For anyone looking for an amazing wireless mouse, I'd definitely think about hopping on that deal.

gently caress, I've always wanted one. I like my mouse now, though. But that thing looks sweet. I heard the built quality is pretty crappy considering the price and they have a lot of issues and fall apart. Aside from that, though..

Chexxum
Sep 24, 2002

Jesus Krist is :cool:
Can anyone that has used both the MX Revolution and the Razer Mamba chime in with their thoughts? I ordered the MX 5500 (wireless keyboard+MX Rev) bundle for 84.99 and I'm thinking about cancelling it and getting the Mamba from Woot. I've used an MX1000 for gaming over the past 6 years and never noticed any delay, but the 1ms response time on the Mamba sounds appealing. The crappy build quality stories and the 90 day warranty sounds pretty scary though.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Christoff posted:

gently caress, I've always wanted one. I like my mouse now, though. But that thing looks sweet. I heard the built quality is pretty crappy considering the price and they have a lot of issues and fall apart. Aside from that, though..

I saw someone post that a few pages back, and while it may be true, I've had mine for about 6 months with 0 issues. It still seems to be holding up just fine. Granted, all it's been doing is sitting on my desk for the past 6 months and haven't been moved around or dropped, but it seems to be doing fine in that department.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Chexxum posted:

Can anyone that has used both the MX Revolution and the Razer Mamba chime in with their thoughts? I ordered the MX 5500 (wireless keyboard+MX Rev) bundle for 84.99 and I'm thinking about cancelling it and getting the Mamba from Woot. I've used an MX1000 for gaming over the past 6 years and never noticed any delay, but the 1ms response time on the Mamba sounds appealing. The crappy build quality stories and the 90 day warranty sounds pretty scary though.

To be honest, I'd grab the Microsoft X8 over the Mamba. It's not quite as sleek, but feels better ergonomically, the mouse buttons are placed better, has better battery life (uses a standard MiMH user replacable battery) and is significantly cheaper. All you're getting for the extra cash when you buy the Mamba is the look, double the polling rate (500 vs 1000) and the quality control problems.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Goo posted:

Anything in particular you'd like Logitech to do differently with their gaming mice?

This question is for everybody, really.

Not mice as much as software. Basically make setpoint do this by default:
http://uberoptions.net/

I know better than you what I want my buttons to do in a game or in Windows. I want to be able to assign any key to any button however I want.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Christoff posted:

I don't know about Mamba but I've owned a pro click and a diamondback and I'm used to the shape now but theres a bunch of things I hate about Razer mice. That rubberised coating can rub off, exposing the plastic underneath. The logo on both was printed on and doesn't appear to be sweat resistant. It wore off on both mice within 1 week. Other than that its sturdy but it will look like poo poo after 2 years.

At this point I can't use anything else so when this diamondback dies I'm going to get...another diamondback. Even the newer Razer mice are bigger and a different shape which is weird and wrong to me. :Z

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug
I've got a mamba and it feels pretty solid. Definitely a comfortable mouse to use. The only thing I don't like about it is the mouse4 and 5 buttons are in a really stupid location that hurts your hand to try to click on which makes them kind of useless. I ended up rebinding the 1 and 2 buttons of the keypad on the side of it to mouse4 and 5.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Thats pretty much the same with all Razer mice. The 4th and 5th side buttons on the Diamondback are positioned horribly and require you to change the way you hold the mouse to click them. I thought that maybe the shift away from ambidextrous design would have fixed that problem though. :|

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

Everyone should just buy a Logitech mouse, seriously, they have amazing customer support.

A few years ago my MX Revolution started having some problems (I don't really remember the details), so I e-mailed Logitech customer support. I didn't have my receipt, or any other proof of purchase, but after a short back and forth, they sent me a new one free of charge.

A few weeks ago the wheel on the mouse that they sent me started to fail, so I e-mailed them again. I just received a response that they're going to send me a Performance Mouse MX Laser instead.

So I'm getting a $100 mouse for free! Again!

A lot of other companies would have you jump through flaming hoops to prove that you deserve to get a replacement from them, so service like this is just, well, refreshing.

Don't Ask fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 22, 2010

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I would have a Performance Mouse MX by now if it had as many mappable buttons/things as the MX Revolution, but from what I've seen it doesn't.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

WanderingKid posted:

Thats pretty much the same with all Razer mice. The 4th and 5th side buttons on the Diamondback are positioned horribly and require you to change the way you hold the mouse to click them. I thought that maybe the shift away from ambidextrous design would have fixed that problem though. :|
The Imperator has adjustable thumb buttons, which makes it very comfortable

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
I love how Razer name their products. Imperator. Megalodon. Abyssus. Desktop peripherals have never sounded so apocalyptic.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Internet Explorer posted:

On the other hand, the mamba I purchased was absolute poo poo and fell apart after 6 months making it the second razer mouse I had to replace in one year's time.

e: Though to it's credit, it is easily the most comfy mouse I have ever used. Bar none. Button placement and form are both fantastic.

Don't Ask posted:

Everyone should just buy a Logitech mouse, seriously, they have amazing customer support.

A few years ago my MX Revolution started having some problems (I don't really remember the details), so I e-mailed Logitech customer support. I didn't have my receipt, or any other proof of purchase, but after a short back and forth, they sent me a new one free of charge.

A few weeks ago the wheel on the mouse that they sent me started to fail, so I e-mailed them again. I just received a response that they're going to send me a Performance Mouse MX Laser instead.

So I'm getting a $100 for free! Again!

A lot of other companies would have you jump through flaming hoops to prove that you deserve to get a replacement from them, so service like this is just, well, refreshing.

Word.

I had a g9 (not a g9x, early adoption...) and it did this strange thing where it would occasionally just stop tracking briefly every now and again. Originally I thought it was my mousepad, so I replaced it with a steelseries cloth-surfaced pad. Still had the same problem. Reading on the web I found other people with the same complaint and figured it may be something that is corrected with the g9x.

I ignored it and eventually bought a deathadder (left button broke after a few months) and then the Mamba. When my Mamba started falling apart I took it back to best buy and did the whole call logitech thing to try and get the g9 swapped out. It was extremely simple. I now have a g9x that I don't even use since I got a G500 that I like better.

To Razer's credit I did perform an RMA with my deathadder at the same time and though it took significantly longer, it was all done via e-mail and there were no hassles. I did have to provide a sales receipt, which I still had over a year later by some miracle. Can't say how it it would have gone if I didn't have one. I did not have to provide one for my G9.

The irony now is that I have a brand new Deathadder and G9x that I don't use, since I favor the G500.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 22, 2010

wajack
Nov 5, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Chopstix posted:

This mouse has been mentioned before but I will have to put in my view of this mouse.

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Lachesi...77735928&sr=8-1

This is a piece of poo poo mouse, do not buy this mouse. It died on me about 6 months in, while my 5 year old laser mouse by microsoft works better than that. Looking up the reliability on this mouse it looks like the reliability of the mice from that company is pretty suspect, so I'd definitely go with Microsoft of Logitech.

See, this has been my experience with Razer as well. I loved my deathadder, but it only lasted for 3 months before suddenly and inexplicably going dead. No matter how cool their new mice look, I've held back because of that.

My mx518, on the other hand, will most likely outlive me. This thread has got me seriously looking at a g500 though.

wajack fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 27, 2010

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Linux Nazi posted:

On the other hand, the mamba I purchased was absolute poo poo and fell apart after 6 months making it the second razer mouse I had to replace in one year's time.

e: Though to it's credit, it is easily the most comfy mouse I have ever used. Bar none. Button placement and form are both fantastic.

Word.

I had a g9 (not a g9x, early adoption...) and it did this strange thing where it would occasionally just stop tracking briefly every now and again. Originally I thought it was my mousepad, so I replaced it with a steelseries cloth-surfaced pad. Still had the same problem. Reading on the web I found other people with the same complaint and figured it may be something that is corrected with the g9x.

I ignored it and eventually bought a deathadder (left button broke after a few months) and then the Mamba. When my Mamba started falling apart I took it back to best buy and did the whole call logitech thing to try and get the g9 swapped out. It was extremely simple. I now have a g9x that I don't even use since I got a G500 that I like better.

To Razer's credit I did perform an RMA with my deathadder at the same time and though it took significantly longer, it was all done via e-mail and there were no hassles. I did have to provide a sales receipt, which I still had over a year later by some miracle. Can't say how it it would have gone if I didn't have one. I did not have to provide one for my G9.

The irony now is that I have a brand new Deathadder and G9x that I don't use, since I favor the G500.

How long did the Deathadder RMA take? I sent mine in because the scroll-wheel started to gently caress up and it should have arrived at its destination already, but they haven't sent a confirmation email or any type of acknowledgment.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Logikv9 posted:

How long did the Deathadder RMA take? I sent mine in because the scroll-wheel started to gently caress up and it should have arrived at its destination already, but they haven't sent a confirmation email or any type of acknowledgment.

I wasn't anticipating it since I already replaced it. But it did take a while, probably 4-5 weeks.

ilikechapstick
Jun 17, 2007

very, very notorious.
Logitech Performance Mouse on Amazon for $60.72 after rebates:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Performance-Mouse-Mac/dp/B002HWRJBM/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1280246956&sr=1-3

Think I might have to pick it up.

what987
Jul 3, 2010

wajack posted:

See, this has been my experience with Razer as well. I loved my deathadder, but it only lasted for 3 months before suddenly and inexplicably going dead. No matter how cool their new mice look, I've held back because of that.

My mx518, on the other hand, will most likely outlive me. This thread has got me seriously looking at a g500 though.

True, same problem here - a dead Razer in six months. Logitech mice last me 4-5 years of heavy use.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

ilikechapstick posted:

Logitech Performance Mouse on Amazon for $60.72 after rebates:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Performance-Mouse-Mac/dp/B002HWRJBM/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1280246956&sr=1-3

Think I might have to pick it up.

$53.15

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2148378

ilikechapstick
Jun 17, 2007

very, very notorious.
^ Oh awesome, thanks.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I have been using an Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 for years and absolutely love it, but the bigger button on the side is starting to flake out. Also, the silver has worn off on the buttons where my fingertips rest, and on the palm making it look like hell. I bought a Sidewinder G9 tonight, but put it back in the box and will be taking it back tomorrow. The right mouse button is a little too stiff, and even once clicked down it has a hard time recognizing that I'm still holding it down. Even on the desktop I will hold down the RMB and move the mouse around, and it keeps skipping between the drag box and context menu as if I'm tapping it.

Looking to buy a new gaming mouse that's as similar to the feel of the 3.0 as possibl. Wireless would be a plus if there's no performance loss for gaming. Any suggestions?

Looks like kind of a tossup between the Mamba (really expensive and this thread has made me question the build quality), and Logitech G500 (wired is less than ideal and I could care less about the altering the wieght)

DrBox fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jul 29, 2010

Y2J
Aug 18, 2000

The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah
People are having a lot of bad luck with Razer's. I must be the exception, cause Ive had this Boomslang for approx 2-3 years now and havent had any issues, nor did I with the original Boomslang. Its limited - 2 main buttons,2 side buttons and a wheel - but its the most comfortable mouse I've ever used. Maybe its just the newer, strangely named models that have issues, though this one still is pricey at $100 for zero special features other than the shape

Y2J fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 29, 2010

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

DrBox posted:

I have been using an Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 for years and absolutely love it, but the bigger button on the side is starting to flake out.
Then why not simply buy a new one to replace your old?

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

giZm posted:

Then why not simply buy a new one to replace your old?

I didn't know they still made them. I checked a few stores near me and there were none. Maybe I'll order one online. It would be nice to somehow have my old mouse with those DPI switching buttons that newer ones have.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

DrBox posted:

I didn't know they still made them.
MS re-released them quite some time ago. No fancy DPI switching buttons though.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/productdetails.aspx?pid=087
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105018

giZm fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 29, 2010

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Thanks! This is great news.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Le sigh. I bought a G500 when they were on sale for 28 after rebates, and it got here today, and the drat cursor jiggles whenever I stop moving it.

Jul 8, 2010

Sointenly posted:

Sorry if this was covered somewhere else, went a few pages in and didn't see anything on Peripherals.

So my awesome Logitech MX 5000 laser mouse finally stopped holding a charge after 3 years.

I've been looking to some of the higher end gaming mice...

Logitech G9/G9x
Logitech Performance Mouse MX
Microsoft Sidewinder
Razer Lachesis

All of them seem to have the most of the qualities that I loved about the MX5000; Heavier feel, rechargeable, ergonomic, good side button placement.

BUT... $100... really?

Just wondering what the consensus is on these higher end setups? are they even worth consideration?

Would appreciate some feedback on what you're using as well.

i was a huge sperglord about my gaming mouse. $100 doesn't shock me though, i've seen some for more. gameplay-induced carpal tunnel comes at an expensive price.

ilikechapstick
Jun 17, 2007

very, very notorious.
I just got a Performance Mouse off Amazon and the middle click doesn't seem to work correctly. You have to click it at the perfect angle and pressure to get it to register.

Apparently this is a common problem...might just return it and get an MX510.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Well Wed. is new computer day and I am going to celebrate by buying a new mouse as well :haw: currently its a toss up between a g9x and the DeathAdder. I know the DA is Mac compatible but is the G9X?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Wee, my RAT7 was delivered, and I really like it so far. Took all of the weights out, changed the outside right cover for the rubberised one and have all the DPI settings nicely setup. The sniper thing is also cool, I'll mostly find it useful for finely adjusting poo poo in 3d.

However a question to all RAT7 owners out there, is there anything I have to do in order to get the horizontal scrollwheel to do anything? If I set Chrome or Windows Explorer too thin, the horizontal scroll will still not do anything. Can I only use it for a macro in my profiles?

[edit] Even if I assign the horizontal macros to be left and right, it won't actually do it. However the "test" mode says it's working, meanwhile in the real world, it isn't.

[edit2] Okay I rebooted and hit "activate profile" and all seems to be working now. Happy times.

tuna fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 4, 2010

foodisgood
Dec 18, 2000
I've been trying out a G9x for a few days and it seems like a keeper. Before I had a M$ Habu which recently took a poo poo and before that a wireless M$ mouse. I could handle the quirks with the Habu, but the wireless was just too heavy.

This Logitech G9x is pretty nice. It is light, great dpi and comfortable. The free spin is a treat compared to the M$ mice. It has been years since I've truely been happy with a M$ mouse. I'm going to have to return this G9x to Best Buy but not after I receive my own *cheaper* version via the interwebs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
Logitech is releasing their new wireless gaming mouse, the G700.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/05/logitech-g700-mouse-and-g930-headset-review/

Looks like the Performance MXform factor with a few extra buttons. I may be getting a new mouse. I am, however, surprised that they didn't just make a wireless G500.